Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Death Note: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$14.96
1 hr ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
18 hrs ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
7 hrs ago
Ponyo (Blu-ray)
$21.49

Angel Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$12.96
5 hrs ago
Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Tom & Jerry: Golden Collection, Volume One (Blu-ray)
$21.49

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96
6 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Uncut Gems (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Old 07-25-2010, 03:58 PM   #1

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
Default Entry-level Turntable suggestions!

As somewhat of the resident vinyl-lover on this site I receive quite a few PM's asking about how to get into vinyl. I try to answer each inquiry with as much thought and consideration for the question as possible, and I hope I have answered them with some information that was of benefit.

Most of the questions I am asked are about Turntables and what to buy, so I've compiled a short list here with some recommendations. All of these tables are from manufacturers that have been around for a very long time and their products are most definitely worthy of consideration. They are also fairly easy to obtain from your local high-end audio dealer or an ID company.

Turntables from $300 - $499
Marantz TT-42 - $329
Denon DP-300F - $329
Pro-ject Debut III (Black) - $349
Pro-ject Debut III (other colours) - $379
Rega P1 - $395
Music Hall MMF-2.1 - $449
Thorens TD158 - $449
Pro-ject RM 1.3 - $499

All of these include the tonearm and a cartridge

Turntables from $500 - $999
Rega P2 - $545
Thorens TD170 - $559
Technics SL-1200xx - $600+
Thorens TD190 - $639
Denon DP-500M - $699
Pro-ject Xpression III - $699
Sota Moonbeam - $700 (no cartridge)
Music Hall MMF 5.1 - $875
Thorens TD235 - $875
Rega P3-24 - $895 (no cartridge)
Thorens TD240 - $935
Pro-ject RM 5 SE - $999

This list is by no means complete, but I think the choices shown represent excellent value and performance for your dollar. Here is a list of some ID companies that carry the tables above.

Acoustic Sounds
Elusive Disc
Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor
Music Direct
Soundstage Direct

IMPORTANT: Your AVR, Receiver, Integrated Amp or Preamp must have a PHONO INPUT to accommodate these turntables. If it doesn't, then you will need to purchase a separate Phone Preamp (Phono Stage). Add between $100-$200 for a basic entry-level one, although they can be had for less.

USB Turntables
While I personally do not recommend these tables if one really wants to step into the world of vinyl playback, there is obviously some demand for them.

Stanton T.55 USB - $199
Audio-Technica AT-LP2D-USB - $199.95
Music Hall USB-1 - $249
Denon DP-200 USB - $250
Audio-Technica LP120-USB - $299
Stanton T.92 USB - $299

John

Last edited by Big Daddy; 12-01-2010 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Added the Marantz TT-42
Old 07-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #2

Aug 2009
Calgary, AB

Thanks for putting your time and effort into this list John.

I will most likely be using it in the future.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
South Dakota

No love for the Technics...

Thanks for the list, John. I think people can see the price required to get into vinyl, and unless they plan on having a large library, they may want to seek other alternatives. I would like to see this list add a $200 or below range for those of us who don't have lots of vinyl. I can see you cringing at the very thought! Just a suggestion from someone who owns 2 vinyls but no player!
Old 07-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #4
Power Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
As somewhat of the resident vinyl-lover on this site I receive quite a few PM's asking about how to get into vinyl. I try to answer each inquiry with as much thought and consideration for the question as possible, and I hope I have answered them with some information that was of benefit.

Most of the questions I am asked are about Turntables and what to buy, so I've compiled a short list here with some recommendations. All of these tables are from manufacturers that have been around for a very long time and their products are most definitely worthy of consideration. They are also fairly easy to obtain from your local high-end audio dealer or an ID company.

Turntables from $0 - $499
Denon DP-300F - $329
Pro-ject Debut III (Black) - $349
Pro-ject Debut III (other colours) - $379
Rega P1 - $395
Music Hall MMF-2.1 - $449
Thorens TD158 - $449
Pro-ject RM 1.3 - $499

All of these include the tonearm and a cartridge

Turntables from $500 - $999
Rega P2 - $545
Thorens TD170 - $559
Thorens TD190 - $639
Denon DP-500M - $699
Pro-ject Xpression III - $699
Sota Moonbeam - $700 (no cartridge)
Music Hall MMF 5.1 - $875
Thorens TD235 - $875
Rega P3-24 - $895 (no cartridge)
Thorens TD240 - $935
Pro-ject RM 5 SE - $999

This list is by no means complete, but I think the choices shown represent excellent value and performance for your dollar. Here is a list of some ID companies that carry the tables above.

Acoustic Sounds
Elusive Disc
Jerry Raskin's Needle Doctor
Music Direct
Soundstage Direct

IMPORTANT: Your AVR, Receiver, Integrated Amp or Preamp must have a PHONO INPUT to accommodate these turntables. If it doesn't, then you will need to purchase a separate Phone Preamp (Phono Stage). Add between $100-$200 for a basic entry-level one, although they can be had for less.

John
Technics SL-12xx series in the 400-500 range ruled as one of the best bang for buck turntables out there.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:17 PM   #5

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew664 View Post
No love for the Technics...

Thanks for the list, John. I think people can see the price required to get into vinyl, and unless they plan on having a large library, they may want to seek other alternatives. I would like to see this list add a $200 or below range for those of us who don't have lots of vinyl. I can see you cringing at the very thought! Just a suggestion from someone who owns 2 vinyls but no player!
There are plenty of tables available in the under $300 category, however this thread was mostly geared towards people that truly want an alternative or compliment to their CD player. I can certainly add a listing for TT's that fall into this range, but they will all be USB tables and not really geared for what I think people want, based on the PM's I've received.

I can't get a definative price structure on the Technics SL-1200, but I beleive it ranges from about $600-$1,000 depending on the model. If someone can provide me with a price link from a reputable source, I will gladly update the list.

John
Old 07-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #6

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrellB View Post
Technics SL-12xx series in the 400-500 range ruled as one of the best bang for buck turntables out there.
The Panasonic site lists them starting at $549, but when you click on "How To Buy" it gives a price of $849????? It also states it's not available for purchase through them and is also back-ordered.

This is why I didn't list the Technics.

John
Old 07-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #7
Power Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
The Panasonic site lists them starting at $549, but when you click on "How To Buy" it gives a price of $849????? It also states it's not available for purchase through them and is also back-ordered.

This is why I didn't list the Technics.

John
I forgot to mention on the used market, sorry john.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
South Dakota

Ya, I'd say you're right on the Technics. Amazon is usually where I price it out on, and it is very consistently in the $600-$650 range.

As far as adding the inexpensive players, I would like your take on them as far as decent options. If you don't want to because their isn't a 'need' for it, then that's cool too. It was just a thought.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:26 PM   #9

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerrellB View Post
I forgot to mention on the used market, sorry john.
Used is a whole other ball of wax and best left for another thread. However, if one knows what to look for it can be a good avenue.

John
Old 07-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Great list John. I'm sure I'll be using it myself one day.

Justin
Old 07-25-2010, 05:41 PM   #11

Jul 2007

Quote:
Ya, I'd say you're right on the Technics. Amazon is usually where I price it out on, and it is very consistently in the $600-$650 range.

As far as adding the inexpensive players, I would like your take on them as far as decent options. If you don't want to because their isn't a 'need' for it, then that's cool too. It was just a thought.
It's a valid question and one that should be addressed, so let me give you my thoughts. The tables I listed are the bare minimum product selections for turntable/tonearm/cartridge options. These tables start pulling away from the lower-end by introducing different and better materials. The result is much better performance. Tables in the extreme lower end of the spectrum are basically all plastic and have no rigidity and weight built in to them.

If all I had to spend was $200 I would look at the used market instead of opting for these lightweight units.

Does that answer your question somewhat?

John
Old 07-25-2010, 06:00 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
To be totally honest, below the lowest price range that John has listed, I don't think a TT is worth considering. They'll likely be made completely from plastic--including the tonearm --and will not give you evan a vague idea of what all this vinyl rage is all about. Of course, once you go up in price, things start to get very interesting... :-)

The TTs in John's lowest price category are the cheapest that are worth considering, new anyway. Used is another ball game, and I'd personally be very wary of buying a used TT, unless you can personally inspect it first and/or know the seller very well (i.e., that they look after their stuff) and know that the original packaging will be used.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2007
South Dakota

Ya, for the most part. I have talked about getting a table a long time ago with you and I knew what you would say about the inexpensive players. Just thought maybe since you were compiling a list, there would be those options available.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
As somewhat of the resident vinyl-lover on this site [...]
Ahem. one of the resident vinyl lovers on this site! :-)

But seriously, great idea and a great list.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #15

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
Ahem. one of the resident vinyl lovers on this site! :-)

But seriously, great idea and a great list.
I stand corrected....I'm one of only a few...my apologies!

John
Old 07-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #16

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
Used is another ball game, and I'd personally be very wary of buying a used TT, unless you can personally inspect it first and/or know the seller very well (i.e., that they look after their stuff) and know that the original packaging will be used.
I agree completely and I speak from experience. I bought a used Revolver Rebel TT a year ago, and although it arrived wonderfully packaged, it did not work. This, despite the claims by the seller. I took a chance and lost on that score.

Go forward a few months and I bought another used TT. This time, after having learnt my lesson, I bought locally and spent about 2 hours at the sellers house auditioning the TT. That is the TT you see in my HT Gallery and I couldn't be happier with the decision to buy it.

John
Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #17
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

Vinyl! They still make that stuff?
Old 07-26-2010, 12:33 PM   #18

Jul 2007

Added a small section at the bottom of the first post to include some USB turntables.

John
Old 09-15-2010, 03:43 AM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2008

I think this thread should be a Sticky.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 AM   #20
Special Member

Sep 2007
verge of breakdown

Excellent thread. I'm about to order a Rega P3-24 with an Ortofon 2M Black and will soon reboot my vinyl addiction....
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music