Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
20 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.31

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Orphen: Complete Collection SD (Blu-ray)
$10.99

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$29.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Old 09-15-2010, 03:49 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
I think this thread should be a Sticky.
Seconded!
Old 09-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaumann View Post
Excellent thread. I'm about to order a Rega P3-24 with an Ortofon 2M Black and will soon reboot my vinyl addiction....
Cool! What other gear what other gear will you be using?
Old 09-15-2010, 07:32 PM   #23

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
I think this thread should be a Sticky.
Thank you, that would be nice!

Quote:
Excellent thread. I'm about to order a Rega P3-24 with an Ortofon 2M Black and will soon reboot my vinyl addiction....
I think that Chris has that same setup, and I know I really likes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
Seconded!
Thanks buddy!

Quote:
Cool! What other gear what other gear will you be using?
I'd like to know as well.

John
Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #24
Special Member

Sep 2007
verge of breakdown

Hi guys,
i paid for the Rega yesterday, it should arrive at the beginning of next week. I'm very excited to get back into vinyl again. Used to be a "vinylphile" in the 90's, but lost interest for a decade. But i still have my complete collection, along with a vinyl washing machine.

As phono preamp i will be using my old and trusted Omtec Antares. Omtec is a small german company, that designs very nice products. The Antares phono-preamp is in production since the end of the 1980's, of course updated and improved over the years.

I'll try to make the turntable work with my HT gear in my living room, which is an Onkyo 886 pre/pro and AdamAudio A7 active monitors, connected via balanced wiring. The Onkyo has one balanced line input, which already sounds quite nice with my CDs using an unbalanced to balanced adapter. I'll start with using that input for the Antares.

I also have a Gryphon Elektra stereo line-preamp (with an integrated Orestes phono preamp) in storage, which i might start using again if i get much better sound with it. However i prefer to have less gear in my living room, so i'll try to make it work with the Onkyo.

Last edited by Blaumann; 09-16-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Gatineau QC Canada
Send a message via MSN to lucv13
Canada

Hey there John and all you other TT afficianados, thinking of jumping on the bandwagon and picking up an inexpensive entry level unit - found this one in a local ad and wanted your opinion - don't want to link the ad directly so just copied the main info from the ad as follows

"Thorens TD-105 turntable with a Stanton 680HP cartridge and stylus

Anyway, the turntable is in nice shape, complete with a dustcover which has a few light scratches, but no cracks or chips. The soft-touch speed & stop controls on the unit work great.

Unit has the original Thorens power adapter."

This table is listed for $100 - What do you think...

There is also a "Thorens TD160mkII with Linn Arm, AT155 Cartridge" listed but for $500 - outta my price range

Last edited by lucv13; 09-29-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:45 AM   #26

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucv13 View Post
Hey there John and all you other TT afficianados, thinking of jumping on the bandwagon and picking up an inexpensive entry level unit - found this one in a local ad and wanted your opinion - don't want to link the ad directly so just copied the main info from the ad as follows

"Thorens TD-105 turntable with a Stanton 680HP cartridge and stylus

Anyway, the turntable is in nice shape, complete with a dustcover which has a few light scratches, but no cracks or chips. The soft-touch speed & stop controls on the unit work great.

Unit has the original Thorens power adapter."

This table is listed for $100 - What do you think...

There is also a "Thorens TD160mkII with Linn Arm, AT155 Cartridge" listed but for $500 - outta my price range

Hi Luc,

Thorens is one of the granddaddy manufacturers of TT's with a very solid and reliable reputation. For $100, this sounds like pretty good value to me, and would make for a lovely jump into the world of vinyl. You may want to consider a new cartridge for it down the line, as the installed Stanton is most likely pretty old, but it could still be in decent condition.

Let us what you decide to do!
Old 09-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Gatineau QC Canada
Send a message via MSN to lucv13
Canada

Thanks for the input John, will have to rethink the 2 channel set up though. Considering using the TT with the Marantz 2226 since the SR4002 doesn't have a phono stage.

I'm not happy with the Marantz speakers I'm using in the current 2 channel set up so am thinking, since the vintage receiver is 26wpc, that I would use the Atoms for this set up, however am concerned that I would not receive the full range of sound with the bookshelves.

Another option could be to incorporate one of my Rotel amps to be used with the vintage Marantz and then use the Studio 60's in the 2 channel set up.

The Atoms would then be moved up to the front stage of the Home Theater system which would probably work well as the bass is handled with the sub in that system.

It's a good thing I haven't updated my pictures now as it seems I will be rearranging everything again
Old 09-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #28

May 2010
Default hey fellas

hey fellas just got into vinyl and i must say im really enjoying it thus far. for starters i picked up a JVC QL-F61 on craigslist. was this a good choice? i paid $65 for it.

tx in advance. also for new people getting into TT and vinyle what cleaning utenziles and habits should I have in order to keep it in good shape? im a complete noobie in this area. so far im handling the records with care and playing them thats it so far LOL.. tx
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 PM   #29

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanorge View Post
hey fellas just got into vinyl and i must say im really enjoying it thus far. for starters i picked up a JVC QL-F61 on craigslist. was this a good choice? i paid $65 for it.

tx in advance. also for new people getting into TT and vinyle what cleaning utenziles and habits should I have in order to keep it in good shape?
Hi Vanorge,

I just posted a new thread about newcomers to the world of vinyl and TT's. How do you like the sound of the JVC QL-F61 ans what kind of cartridge does it have?

John
Old 10-04-2010, 12:46 AM   #30

May 2010
Default newbie questions

i think im going to go with the Pro-Ject Debut III in Piano Gloss Black with an Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Cartridge and a Pro-Ject Acryl-It Platter Upgrade. i have a few questions i hope some of you guys can help me with

what is a phono pre-amp for if i have a phono input and ground on my reciever?

granted the one on the reciever might be cheap or not as good. if i were to later on down the road want to go with a phono pre-amp what would be the connection. does the music go cartridge on turntable to phono preamp to reciever to amp? if so what input on the reciever, since it's grounded on the phone preamp could you just use CD or do you still use phono? is it even worth it to go with a phono pramp say like this one http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject...category=36638 just curious, tx.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:06 AM   #31
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

Quote:
Hi guys,
i paid for the Rega yesterday, it should arrive at the beginning of next week. I'm very excited to get back into vinyl again. Used to be a "vinylphile" in the 90's, but lost interest for a decade. But i still have my complete collection, along with a vinyl washing machine.

As phono preamp i will be using my old and trusted Omtec Antares. Omtec is a small german company, that designs very nice products. The Antares phono-preamp is in production since the end of the 1980's, of course updated and improved over the years.

I'll try to make the turntable work with my HT gear in my living room, which is an Onkyo 886 pre/pro and AdamAudio A7 active monitors, connected via balanced wiring. The Onkyo has one balanced line input, which already sounds quite nice with my CDs using an unbalanced to balanced adapter. I'll start with using that input for the Antares.

I also have a Gryphon Elektra stereo line-preamp (with an integrated Orestes phono preamp) in storage, which i might start using again if i get much better sound with it. However i prefer to have less gear in my living room, so i'll try to make it work with the Onkyo.
Congrats on the Rega! I'd be very interested to hear what you have to say about the 2M Black after you've had a chance to break it in.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #32

Jul 2007

Quote:
i think im going to go with the Pro-Ject Debut III in Piano Gloss Black with an Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Cartridge and a Pro-Ject Acryl-It Platter Upgrade. i have a few questions i hope some of you guys can help me with

granted the one on the reciever might be cheap or not as good. if i were to later on down the road want to go with a phono pre-amp what would be the connection. does the music go cartridge on turntable to phono preamp to reciever to amp? if so what input on the reciever, since it's grounded on the phone preamp could you just use CD or do you still use phono? is it even worth it to go with a phono pramp say like this one http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject...category=36638 just curious, tx.
Congrats on choosing a TT of your liking, and the upgraded platter should increase it's performance, although I'm not sure about the additional benefits specifically.

Built-in amplifier phonostages or phono preamps (same thing) are notoriously lacking, especially in AVR's and 2CH Receivers. These are built-in for convenience and not performance for the most part. You are therefore almost always better off getting a seperate unit, and the Pro-ject Tube Box SE II is a nice unit. I beleive 6Moons gave it a very good review when paired with their Expression TT.

Once you get your Phonostage the phono input on your AVR becomes obsolete, as you cannot plug a seperate unit into that input. You must use another available input. I have mine attached to the CD-R input, but you could use anything...DVD, Tape, etc. I have heard that one should not plug it into the AUX input, but I don't know the specifics of that reasoning.

Hope my reply has helped somewhat.

John
Old 10-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Brooks Alberta

Quote:

No nonono...

Use the extra money that you are putting towards the tube box SE and put it towards a Pro-Ject Xpression table with the 2M Blue. Then hit Ebay and pick up a Yaqin MS 12B phono pre amp for about 250.00.

The Yaqin is a high quality unit that has rave reviews from vinyl addicts all over. The combination of the Yaqin and the upgraded table will provide a substantial upgrade over what you are looking at now at the same price or less in the long run.

Last edited by CasualKiller; 10-04-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:55 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC

Quote:

They do the same job, but a separate phono stage is likely to do a *much* better job than the one in an AVR, which are usually thrown in as an afterthought.

Quote:
granted the one on the reciever might be cheap or not as good. if i were to later on down the road want to go with a phono pre-amp what would be the connection. does the music go cartridge on turntable to phono preamp to reciever to amp? if so what input on the reciever, since it's grounded on the phone preamp could you just use CD or do you still use phono?
Pictures work better for this, I think. Here's the signal path without a phono stage:

TT -> AVR (phono input)

Here's the same thing, with a phono stage:

TT -> Phono stage -> AVR (any spare line level input, NOT phono)

Some (most?) phono stages also have the advantage of supporting MC cartridges, which are (usually) even lower in output level than MM cartridges. Some MC cartridges have the same level of output as MM carts (the so-called high output MC carts), so an MC input isn't strictly necessary (although it is a good idea to keep your options open!).

Quote:
is it even worth it to go with a phono pramp say like this one http://www.needledoctor.com/Pro-Ject...category=36638 just curious, tx.
I'm not familiar with that particular model, but there are a few models to chose from in your price range. I would, however, question the sense in partnering a $750 phono stage with ~ $600 TT + cartridge combo. OTOH, you'll be good once upgraditis sets in! :-)

Last edited by richteer; 10-04-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:11 PM   #35
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Washington, DC Metro

Quote:
They do the same job, but a separate phono stage is likely to do a *much* better job than the one in an AVR, which are usually thrown in as an afterthought.

Pictures work better for this, I think. Here's the signal path without a phono stage:

TT -> AVR (phono input)

Here's the same thing, with a phono stage:

TT -> Phono stage -> AVR (any spare line level input, NOT phono)

Some (most?) phono stages also have the advantage of supporting MC cartridges, which are (usually) even lower in output level than MM cartridges. Some MC cartridges have the same level of output as MM carts (the so-called high output MC carts), so an MC input isn't strictly necessary (although it is a good idea to keep your options open!).

I'm not familiar with that particular model, but there are a few models to chose from in your price range. I would, however, question the sense in partnering a $750 phono stage with ~ $600 TT + cartridge combo. OTOH, you'll be good once upgraditis sets in! :-)
Thanks for that info. What constitutes a good phono stage/Phono Pre-amp?

I'm considering getting one for two reasons. The first is obviously to get a better product than the built-in one on my Denon receiver. The other is that I may move my TT to another location and it will allow me to run straight high quality RCA cables from the new location to my receiver.

The place I recently had my TT serviced at recommended the NAD PP2i or PP3i. They are right around $200.

Thoughts anyone?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #36
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2008
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammie View Post
Thanks for that info. What constitutes a good phono stage/Phono Pre-amp?

I'm considering getting one for two reasons. The first is obviously to get a better product than the built-in one on my Denon receiver. The other is that I may move my TT to another location and it will allow me to run straight high quality RCA cables from the new location to my receiver.

The place I recently had my TT serviced at recommended the NAD PP2i or PP3i. They are right around $200.

Thoughts anyone?
The PP3 just got a very good review from Stereophile...
Old 10-04-2010, 08:12 PM   #37

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 View Post
The PP3 just got a very good review from Stereophile...
Maybe we could start a thread on Phonostage suggestions? There are lot of choices from a range of price points and it may help people out. Just a thought.

John
Old 10-04-2010, 08:40 PM   #38
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2010

High end phono preamps are a waste of money. It isn't hard to make a great sounding preamp for a very reasonable price. Spend your money on records, not electronic boxes.

I come from the LP era, and a lot of what is written about turntables today would have gotten laughed at back in the day. Turntable technology has not advanced since LPs went the way of the dodo, the prices have just gone up. A good 70s Thorens, Technics or Dual will perform as good as modern turntables designed for audiophiles. There are lots of great cartridges still being made for not a lot of money. When it comes to turntables, they worked it all out and made it cost-efficient forty years ago. All the audiophile stuff that's come since is designed to get people to spend too much.

I have tens of thousands of records... Whole walls full of racks... And Ive owned at least a dozen turntables of all types. Take the advice of a long time vinyl fan. Shop smart, don't just throw money at the problem.

Last edited by bigshot; 10-04-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:44 PM   #39

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
High end phono pre maps are a waste of money. It isn't hard to make a great sounding preamp for a very reasonable price. Spend your money on records, not electronic boxes.
Care to share your schematics?

John
Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #40
Special Member

Jul 2008

Just a note on the list in the OP: the Music Hall MMF-2.1 has not been in production for quite awhile. Its predecessor, the MMF-2.2, has been the entry-level Music Hall model for at least a couple of years now (and it's an excellent choice, IMO!).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music