Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
16 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.31

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

First Love (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8 hrs ago
Orphen: Complete Collection SD (Blu-ray)
$10.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$29.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage

Old 07-09-2011, 02:24 AM   #1
Special Member

Nov 2009
Default Scotch, Whisky/Whiskey Thread

It is Friday. So I decided to start a thread about my favorite drink: Scotch. I am hoping that people can share recommendations and tasting notes (if you want). So in the spirit of sharing, I am going to open this thread up to other whiskies/whiskeys such as irish whiskies and bourbon.

For anyone that does not know much about whiskies/whiskeys, please do not be intimidated. Fire off any question you may have. If you tried something, post your thoughts.

Let me start: my taste leans towards the more peaty/smoky side, but I am quite adventurous. I do shy away from scotch that are too much on the sherry side. My main dram is the Lagavulin 16 yr. It has the perfect blend of peat and smoke. This scotch has wonderful layers of flavor. I have to have at least a "few" bottles in stock.

My other main stock are the Ardmore Cask 92 and Laphroaig 10 yr. The Ardmore is slightly peated and has a bit of spice. The Laphroaig is... a kick in the face and balls (at the same time) of peat and smoke.

Tonight, I plan to open a Talisker 10 yr that I got in a duty free a few months back. I haven't bought a Talisker in a few years, so I can't wait.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:01 AM   #2

Aug 2008
Kentucky

Love some scotch and being 23 that's not very common around here.

Lagavulin 16 is one of my favorites but at $80+ a bottle I don't keep it in stock.
Laphroaig 10 is my constant Scotch.
Highland Park 18 year is great.
Oban 14 year is another favorite.

I also love a good bourbon. I'm enjoying several Knob Creek pours this evening.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #3
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue622 View Post
Love some scotch and being 23 that's not very common around here.

Lagavulin 16 is one of my favorites but at $80+ a bottle I don't keep it in stock.
Laphroaig 10 is my constant Scotch.
Highland Park 18 year is great.
Oban 14 year is another favorite.

I also love a good bourbon. I'm enjoying several Knob Creek pours this evening.
I am 30... it gets slightly easier finding people to enjoy it with you. I occasionally hold tastings to different bottles to generate interest.

Have you tried the Highland Park 12? If you have, how does it compare to the 18? Tried the 12 based on a recommendation and wasn't very impressed. Finish was a bit harsh. Taste leaned a bit too much on the sherry side without mellowing out. I guess it wasn't bad... but for the price, it wasn't good enough. Haven't tried the 18.

Based on your list, I would suggest to try the Ardmore Cask 92 as a safe suggestion. It is a quarter cask style malt and around the cost of a Laphroaig 10. It has some of the peat and smoke of the Islays you listed but not as overwhelming as the Laphroaig. It also has a little bit of spice like the Oban. The flavor or the finish is not as complex as the Laga, but it is also 1/3 of the price.

Another suggestion would be the Balvenie 12 yr double wood. But I am basing that suggestion on the Oban and the Highland Park 12 (not 18) characteristics. It is a little more on the fruit and honey on the nose than those two, and the taste is less sherried. I actually like the Balvenie 12 dble wood better than most Balvenie 15 single cask (but that is hard since the 15 varies from bottle to bottle, cask to cask).

If you are hunting for a new taste, try those out and tell me what you think.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Hello guys,

43 and I prefer the more fruitie type of scotch. I tried a few from Islay and it was just too peaty or smokie for my taste. I am about to complete a Glenmorangie The Nectar D'or bottle. I will try a Highland Park next I think. The bottle I completed before the Glenmorangie was a Glenfiddich 12 years old and I really loved that one. I would like to try some of their others as well.

I don't drink them fast as I am more likely to have a cognac in the evening then a scotch

Last edited by P@t_Mtl; 07-09-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
Hello guys,

43 and I prefer the more fruitie type of scotch. I tried a few from Islay and it was just too peaty or smokie for my taste. I am about to complete a Glenmorangie The Nectar D'or bottle. I will try a Highland Park next I think. The bottle I completed before the Glenmorangie was a Glenfiddich 12 years old and I really loved that one. I would like to try some of their others as well.

I don't drink them fast as I am more likely to have a cognac in the evening then a scotch
Welcome. First, nobody needs to post their age if they don't want... feels like an AA meeting. If you want to post your age, go right ahead. Just didn't want people to think it was a requirement.

I do have a little beef with Glenmorangie. I used to drink Glenmorangie when they bottled under simpler finish names of Port, Sherry, Burgundy Cote D'Or, etc. The Burgundy finish was my favorite followed by the Port. Then about 5 yrs ago they got new bottles, new names, and jacked the prices by almost 100%. I remember it distinctly b/c a friend gave me a bottle of the Burgundy finish on my wedding day... and that was my last bottle. Kinda got annoyed. As far as I know (and someone PLEASE correct me if I am wrong), they did not change anything except the bottle and names. But that is my personal... vendetta. That said, I believe the Nectar D'Or is the same as the old Burgundy casks. Have you tried the older expressions? If you have, how does it compare? Just wondering.

If you liked Glenfiddich 12, I would suggest trying the 15 yr. I have tried most of the expressions offered by Glenfiddich (12, 15,18,30... not the 21 though) and I enjoyed the 15 yr the most. I think their scotch peaks at 15. The 18 losses quite a bit of character, but the 30 is pretty decent just not worth the price of admission. My dad's friend is a Glenfiddich fan (pronounced Glenfiddickh... I was switftly corrected) and has the full range always in stock... except the 21. I should ask why. Anyway, try the others too if you want and let us know what you think. You are making me want to pick up a bottle of 15.

If you are into fruitie, I would also suggest the Belvenie 12 yr double wood I mentioned earlier.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #6

Aug 2008
Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali157 View Post
I am 30... it gets slightly easier finding people to enjoy it with you. I occasionally hold tastings to different bottles to generate interest.

Have you tried the Highland Park 12? If you have, how does it compare to the 18? Tried the 12 based on a recommendation and wasn't very impressed. Finish was a bit harsh. Taste leaned a bit too much on the sherry side without mellowing out. I guess it wasn't bad... but for the price, it wasn't good enough. Haven't tried the 18.

Based on your list, I would suggest to try the Ardmore Cask 92 as a safe suggestion. It is a quarter cask style malt and around the cost of a Laphroaig 10. It has some of the peat and smoke of the Islays you listed but not as overwhelming as the Laphroaig. It also has a little bit of spice like the Oban. The flavor or the finish is not as complex as the Laga, but it is also 1/3 of the price.

Another suggestion would be the Balvenie 12 yr double wood. But I am basing that suggestion on the Oban and the Highland Park 12 (not 18) characteristics. It is a little more on the fruit and honey on the nose than those two, and the taste is less sherried. I actually like the Balvenie 12 dble wood better than most Balvenie 15 single cask (but that is hard since the 15 varies from bottle to bottle, cask to cask).

If you are hunting for a new taste, try those out and tell me what you think.
I've had the Highland 12 and didn't care for it too much either. The 18 is a much better whisky. It's been awhile and I try so many I don't remember all the characteristics but it had more peat than I expected with a lot of earthy flavors with a very mellow finish

The Balvenie 12 Double Wood is amazing, I don't know how I forgot to include it in my first post. For the money it's one of the best I've ever had.

I may purchase a bottle of the Ardmore next time I go on a run, I've been eyeing it forever now and have yet to pull the trigger.

Have you tried the Laphroaig Quarter Cask? I've heard it's better than the 10 but I've yet to locate a bottle around here.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #7
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblue622 View Post
I've had the Highland 12 and didn't care for it too much either. The 18 is a much better whisky. It's been awhile and I try so many I don't remember all the characteristics but it had more peat than I expected with a lot of earthy flavors with a very mellow finish

The Balvenie 12 Double Wood is amazing, I don't know how I forgot to include it in my first post. For the money it's one of the best I've ever had.

I may purchase a bottle of the Ardmore next time I go on a run, I've been eyeing it forever now and have yet to pull the trigger.

Have you tried the Laphroaig Quarter Cask? I've heard it's better than the 10 but I've yet to locate a bottle around here.
The ol' Laphroaig QC vs 10 yr vs 10 yr cask strength debate. If I were to rank the 3, I would place the 10yr CS first, then the 10 yr, then the QC. The QC has more heat and has other tones of sweetness (a Laphroaig sweetnes... not a regular scotch sweetness) compared to the 10 yr. But being only around 8 yrs old, it does not have as complex flavor (like most quarter casks) especially compared to a 10 yr w/ a bit of water (allowing it to open up). I think most people feel the 10 yr and the 10 yr CS are very one-dimensional scotch because the peat and smoke takes over very easily... until you add a few drops of water... then it becomes a whole other dram.

That said, I think a QC is still worth trying. I have about half bottle left of my last QC so friends can try and compare, and people's rankings vary on this comparison. But for me, the QC isn't the top of the Laphroaig hierarchy...

... Now if you ever see a Laphroaig 15 yr, GRAB IT! That was the top of the Laphroaig line-up for me. The extra 5 yrs definitely helped develop their scotch to something phenomenal. I have 2 bottles left of the 15yr. Unfortunately, Laphroaig discontinued that line a few years ago and replaced it with the 18 yr (which I have not tried)... and jacked up the price by twice as much.

Oh, and thanks for the thoughts on the Highland Park. May try it next time... right now I have a "backlog" of new(ish) scotch to try.

Last edited by Kali157; 07-10-2011 at 03:35 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Got myself a Glenrothes 17 years old as my own xmas gift.

I am wondering how long does a bottle stay good after its been open?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:37 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Baltimore, MD

Nice topic! Unlike the OP, i prefer the sherry cask scotch's, though some are just flat out good. balvinie double wood is great, Macallan 12yr is my standby though. I got started n the Glenmorangie finished varieties but stopped when they changed things up with the new line.

My in-laws bought me a Glenfiddich 15yr Special Reserve that is amazing. I cant find another bottle anywhere though. I'll keep looking.

Not a scotch, but Pappy Van Wikle is a bourban good enough to be in the same category.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #10
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Glenfiddich is one of my favorite
Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
Power Member

Jul 2009
ʞ∩ ǝɥ┴

I'm not a huge Whisky or Whiskey drinker, but if I do, then my favourite is Glenmorangie - the Quinta Ruban in particular.

A few years back, my partner and I had a private tour of the distillery in Tain which was quite fascinating. We had the whole place to ourselves (got some pics somewhere), and we finished off at the shop with a tasting session which was wicked. (and also where I was introduced to the Quinta Ruban !).

We bought this as a souvenir which I believe is quite a goodun'. 59.6% abv :

Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
Special Member

Nov 2009

Glad the thread was revived.

Quote:
Got myself a Glenrothes 17 years old as my own xmas gift.

I am wondering how long does a bottle stay good after its been open?
I would be curious to know what you think of the Glenrothes as I have never tried it. Have you tried any of their other lines?

As for how long it stays good, I am not too certain. All I know is if you get towards the end of the bottle, it is advised to transfer the remaining in a smaller bottle if you plan to keep it for a long time. When I get to the end of a unique bottle (ie something I probably won't buy again), I save the last few ounces and transfer them to 4 ounce glass jars for tastings and future comparisons.

... wow I just made scotch drinking nerdy, didn't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slec View Post
Nice topic! Unlike the OP, i prefer the sherry cask scotch's, though some are just flat out good. balvinie double wood is great, Macallan 12yr is my standby though. I got started n the Glenmorangie finished varieties but stopped when they changed things up with the new line.

My in-laws bought me a Glenfiddich 15yr Special Reserve that is amazing. I cant find another bottle anywhere though. I'll keep looking.

Not a scotch, but Pappy Van Wikle is a bourban good enough to be in the same category.
I used to enjoy Macallan's 12 yr old, but I think their scotch has changed in the past few years (or maybe my tastes have changed). The last Macallan I had was a bottle of 12 yr "Elegancia." It was "meh." Taste was rough, pithy, almost bitter. Again, maybe it was just me. I wish I saved a few drams of the older Macallan to see if the scotch changed. I also remember liking their 10 yr cask strength... maybe give that a shot.

I never tried the Glenfiddich 15 SR, but you may want to give the regular 15 yr a shot. It is quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_FORCE View Post
I'm not a huge Whisky or Whiskey drinker, but if I do, then my favourite is Glenmorangie - the Quinta Ruban in particular.

A few years back, my partner and I had a private tour of the distillery in Tain which was quite fascinating. We had the whole place to ourselves (got some pics somewhere), and we finished off at the shop with a tasting session which was wicked. (and also where I was introduced to the Quinta Ruban !).

We bought this as a souvenir which I believe is quite a goodun'. 59.6% abv :
That looks great. Have you had it? Remember, every month you keep a bottle of scotch closed after purchase, a baby seal dies.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
Power Member

Jul 2009
ʞ∩ ǝɥ┴

Quote:
That looks great. Have you had it? Remember, every month you keep a bottle of scotch closed after purchase, a baby seal dies.
lol.

No I don't think I'll ever drink it, unless I'm completely off my face and don't know what I'm doing.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #14
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
lol.

No I don't think I'll ever drink it, unless I'm completely off my face and don't know what I'm doing.
Nooooooooooo..... Actually, being drunk isn't a good time to drink good scotch... so don't do that either. Tell you what, send it to me, and I will spend some time with it.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Interesting topic, my stock was running low so I did a little shopping

Old 01-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Glad the thread was revived.

I would be curious to know what you think of the Glenrothes as I have never tried it. Have you tried any of their other lines?

As for how long it stays good, I am not too certain. All I know is if you get towards the end of the bottle, it is advised to transfer the remaining in a smaller bottle if you plan to keep it for a long time. When I get to the end of a unique bottle (ie something I probably won't buy again), I save the last few ounces and transfer them to 4 ounce glass jars for tastings and future comparisons.
It's actually my first Glenrothes so I cannot compared with the others in their collection but after a few glasses, I will look for some of the others., A bit fruity but not as much as a Glenfiddich or even a Glenmorangie. You see I was rhum guy (mostly rhum and coke) and sometimes a bit of cognac. For whisky I made the mistake to sample some Islay bottles and they are just too smoky for my taste. I prefer the more sweet fruity taste. A guy I work with pointed me toward the Speyside, he mention I would find more the types I enjoy from that region and so far he is pretty much right

Thanks for the tip also. I have notice that at the ned the taste seem to change for some of them when I only have a few glasses worth left in the bottle. I don't have a lot of bottle at a time (very small collection) so I don't have a lot of bottle that can stay there for years like others seem to do.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
lol.

Yeah! I can understand that. I have yet to have one of these special bottles in whisky but two years ago, I was given a $500 cognac bottle as a gift and really it broke my heart to open it even with WOW it's amazing

I try to save it for special moments. Only a few glasses have been taken from it.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #18
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post

A big JW fan are we? Of their entire line, I am partial to the gold label (18 yr if memory serves). Loses the harshness of the black (12yr) and even green (15yr) while some of the fruitiness almost briny taste comes out. The finish is a bit spicy but short. More of a warmer weather scotch for me.

What about the Blue do you like? Any comparisons?

Quote:
It's actually my first Glenrothes so I cannot compared with the others in their collection but after a few glasses, I will look for some of the others., A bit fruity but not as much as a Glenfiddich or even a Glenmorangie. You see I was rhum guy (mostly rhum and coke) and sometimes a bit of cognac. For whisky I made the mistake to sample some Islay bottles and they are just too smoky for my taste. I prefer the more sweet fruity taste. A guy I work with pointed me toward the Speyside, he mention I would find more the types I enjoy from that region and so far he is pretty much right

Thanks for the tip also. I have notice that at the ned the taste seem to change for some of them when I only have a few glasses worth left in the bottle. I don't have a lot of bottle at a time (very small collection) so I don't have a lot of bottle that can stay there for years like others seem to do.
Thanks for the notes on the Glenrothes. May try it when the weather warms.

Yeah, people have either a love or hate relationship w/ Islay scotches. Which ones have you tried? Some are definitely more balanced than others. I think Lagavulin's 16yr is a great example of that. My FIL hated it at first (made a mistake of STARTING him on an Islay...oops). Now he requests some when he visits, but he still stays away from the Laphroig.

If you like fruity, spice (getting from the rum), and light, I could suggest a few you may wish to try.

Talisker 10: This is one of the bottles I have open right now. Spicy and slightly fruity. Great flavor. Also the last distillery from Skye.

Balvenie 12 Dble Wood: fruit and honey. Good balance.

Yamazaki 12: (yes I know this isn't a true scotch) Light, bright flavor. Again slight fruit. The taste has some heat but has a short finish.

Dimple Pinch: this is a blend. Another good complex, spice, bit of fruit. This does have a subdued smoke.

Anyway, just throwing it out there if you want to try other scotches.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Quote:
A big JW fan are we? Of their entire line, I am partial to the gold label (18 yr if memory serves). Loses the harshness of the black (12yr) and even green (15yr) while some of the fruitiness almost briny taste comes out. The finish is a bit spicy but short. More of a warmer weather scotch for me.

What about the Blue do you like? Any comparisons?
I'm primarily a single malt guy (the usual Islay brands such as Lagavulin and Laphroaig or Speyside such as Glenrothes and Macallan) but when it comes to blended whisky JW Blue is my go to drink. When I first tried JW's Black, Green and even the Gold I wasn't that impressed. They were okay but I wanted something smoother. This ultimately led me to discover the Blue and I was hooked. The greatest asset it has IMO is its smoothness.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #20
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Terraforming planet Wabo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post

That's like $500 worth of Scotch in your photo. Well done, sir. Well done.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage