Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99
 
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
 
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
2 hrs ago
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$14.99
31 min ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
 
Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
 
The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.31
 
Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99
 
Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
silversnake silversnake is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
silversnake's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Montreal
22
497
6
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
That's like $500 worth of Scotch in your photo. Well done, sir. Well done.




I just bought this not that long ago.

I usually always drink Johnnie Black but I have some Johnnie Green from my birthday last year that's still there.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #22
P@t_Mtl P@t_Mtl is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
P@t_Mtl's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Montreal
4
452
513
3
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali157 View Post



Talisker 10: This is one of the bottles I have open right now. Spicy and slightly fruity. Great flavor. Also the last distillery from Skye.
This one was also suggested by my coworker, it's probably going to be my next purchase
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #23
Bigdog Bigdog is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Bigdog's Avatar
 
Aug 2007
14
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnake View Post




I just bought this not that long ago.

I usually always drink Johnnie Black but I have some Johnnie Green from my birthday last year that's still there.
What is the flavor of green , i have had the blue, gold, black and red but never green.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
Kali157 Kali157 is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2009
43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnake View Post




I just bought this not that long ago.

I usually always drink Johnnie Black but I have some Johnnie Green from my birthday last year that's still there.
Can I interest you in trying new scotch? JW is pretty good, but there is a whole world of scotch out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
This one was also suggested by my coworker, it's probably going to be my next purchase
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
What is the flavor of green , i have had the blue, gold, black and red but never green.
15 yr if memory serves.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #25
Jwilly019 Jwilly019 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jwilly019's Avatar
 
Oct 2008
Columbus, OH
192
9
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
What is the flavor of green , i have had the blue, gold, black and red but never green.
While I have not had any of the JW offerings, the tasting notes (and other info I've seen) would seem to indicate the Green label uses more Islay whiskies in the blend. Here are a few tasting notes for you.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #26
silversnake silversnake is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
silversnake's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Montreal
22
497
6
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
What is the flavor of green , i have had the blue, gold, black and red but never green.
My pallet isn't developed enough for me to distinguish that unfortunately. It's definitely more intense than the black label.

This is from wiki

Quote:
a blended malt using only four malts "drawn from the four corners of Scotland" – the intent of the blend is to deliver depth, substance, intensity. Each of the malts is selected by the blender for balance and each malt whisky is matured for a minimum of 15 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali157 View Post
Can I interest you in trying new scotch? JW is pretty good, but there is a whole world of scotch out there.
.
I'm all ears
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #27
Kali157 Kali157 is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2009
43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilly019 View Post
While I have not had any of the JW offerings, the tasting notes (and other info I've seen) would seem to indicate the Green label uses more Islay whiskies in the blend. Here are a few tasting notes for you.
Hey, thanks for the link. Some very good info on a library of scotches in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnake View Post
I'm all ears
First off, some disclaimers: this isn't a science. I maybe on the mark on suggestions, but I may also be off. But I think trying new scotch tastes is half the fun. Also, I haven't tried every scotch (I am working on it), so I hope others can throw in suggestions.

Okay, now the recommendations. First, what specific types of drinks do you typically gravitate towards? This could be anything from wine to beer to whiskey. What flavors do you typically enjoy in a drink (spice, fruit, heat, smoky, mild, strong, etc)?

Gonna be out of town soon so replies maybe slow. I am sure others can help too.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #28
silversnake silversnake is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
silversnake's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Montreal
22
497
6
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali157 View Post
Okay, now the recommendations. First, what specific types of drinks do you typically gravitate towards? This could be anything from wine to beer to whiskey. What flavors do you typically enjoy in a drink (spice, fruit, heat, smoky, mild, strong, etc)?

Gonna be out of town soon so replies maybe slow. I am sure others can help too.
I like a good beer. Either blonde or red. Not crazy about the heavy ones. More of a mild / smooth taste. For Red wine I usually just like round / smooth ones as well, hate when it's harsh. I like rum, captain morgan dark or spice. Hate vodka.

I sometimes do drink my johnny black with ginger ale (I know you guys will probably crucify me for that)

Overall I'm not really a big drinker but I'm trying to get into Scotch / Whiskey more and more.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #29
P@t_Mtl P@t_Mtl is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
P@t_Mtl's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Montreal
4
452
513
3
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnake View Post

I sometimes do drink my johnny black with ginger ale (I know you guys will probably crucify me for that)
.
Really? How did that taste?

I did try mine once (Glennfidich) with coke. Not bad but in the end rhum and coke just seem to work much better. I usually just take my whisky straight, no ice, no water. Of course I drink a small amount.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #30
silversnake silversnake is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
silversnake's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
Montreal
22
497
6
31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
Really? How did that taste?

I did try mine once (Glennfidich) with coke. Not bad but in the end rhum and coke just seem to work much better. I usually just take my whisky straight, no ice, no water. Of course I drink a small amount.
I personally love it. I find it taste really good. Nice blend with the ginger ale and the johnny black. Funny enough, I used to drink it with coke and one day at a bar I ordered another and the bartender assumed ginger ale and ever since I tasted it, I haven't gone back to coke since.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #31
ApolloOne ApolloOne is offline
Senior Member
 
ApolloOne's Avatar
 
Jul 2010
USA
7
Default

My background: I've been drinking single-malt Scotch since I went to Scotland six years ago. My personal preference is for Highland Park. The 12 is wonderful, the 18 even more so! I find I prefer the smokier whiskys. I prefer them neat, but if I ever have any distilled water on hand, I may use a tiny bit to open up the aroma. I don't care for blends and I don't mix.

A friend of mine recently came back from a trip to Scotland. She bought a Talisker 10 while on Skye and we had a tasting. I liked the flavor, but found it a bit oily on the roof of my mouth. We also tried a Glenlivet Nadurra which was powerful good! Chewy and smoky with a hint of sweetness.

The least pleasant Scotch I've ever tasted was a Bowmore. It tasted like someone poured salt into the bottle. It put me off Islay malts for a while, unfairly I suppose. I may have a go at some others.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #32
THE_FORCE THE_FORCE is offline
Power Member
 
THE_FORCE's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
ʞ∩ ǝɥ┴
59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnake View Post

I sometimes do drink my johnny black with ginger ale (I know you guys will probably crucify me for that)

.
My man ! I love a Scotch and Dry every now and then. Or a Whisky Mac.

The two flavours together are a very well known, classic combination - no need to worry about being crucified.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:08 AM   #33
P@t_Mtl P@t_Mtl is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
P@t_Mtl's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Montreal
4
452
513
3
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnake View Post
I personally love it. I find it taste really good. Nice blend with the ginger ale and the johnny black. Funny enough, I used to drink it with coke and one day at a bar I ordered another and the bartender assumed ginger ale and ever since I tasted it, I haven't gone back to coke since.
I will have to give this a try
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #34
THE_FORCE THE_FORCE is offline
Power Member
 
THE_FORCE's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
ʞ∩ ǝɥ┴
59
Default

You should do Pat. I find most mixers such as Coke, Lemonade etc become sickly and syrupy after a few measures. Ginger Ale doesn't suffer this in the same way. You can get more of them down your neck !
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #35
P@t_Mtl P@t_Mtl is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
P@t_Mtl's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Montreal
4
452
513
3
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl
Default

I tried the ginger ale but did not really enjoy the taste. It might be that it work better with certain type of whisky?

Also, I think I just discovered my new favorite whisky, Dalmore...wow
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #36
Kali157 Kali157 is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2009
43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnake View Post
I like a good beer. Either blonde or red. Not crazy about the heavy ones. More of a mild / smooth taste. For Red wine I usually just like round / smooth ones as well, hate when it's harsh. I like rum, captain morgan dark or spice. Hate vodka.

I sometimes do drink my johnny black with ginger ale (I know you guys will probably crucify me for that)

Overall I'm not really a big drinker but I'm trying to get into Scotch / Whiskey more and more.
I would suggest Balvenie 12 dble wood, Glenfiddich 15, Oban 14 (costco has em for a reasonable price in my area). Those are pretty easy on the pallet and smooth. Anyway, if you are interested and have a chance, try them out.

We just came back from a wedding in Kauai, and my friend placed a bottle of Belvenie 12 on the "secret menu" for the both of us (what a great friend). I really enjoyed it.

JW black is fine mixed... if you tried to mix a Lagavulin, we may have a few words.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #37
Kali157 Kali157 is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2009
43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
I tried the ginger ale but did not really enjoy the taste. It might be that it work better with certain type of whisky?

Also, I think I just discovered my new favorite whisky, Dalmore...wow
Possibly. When on the plane (esp long, international flights), I sometimes enjoy Chivas or Johny Red with ginger ale. It takes the edge off the harshness and adds flavor to "blandness" of certain types of scotch. I think if you tried to mix ginger ale with scotch with a good amount of flavor, the results maybe less desirable.

Which Dalmore did you try? What did you like about it? Have not tried any myself, so I am curious.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #38
P@t_Mtl P@t_Mtl is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
P@t_Mtl's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Montreal
4
452
513
3
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali157 View Post
Which Dalmore did you try? What did you like about it? Have not tried any myself, so I am curious.
The choices for it are limited here at the liquor store, so I went with the 12 years old. Very good but I would say it's almost better to use it as an after dinner whisky, it,s almost like a porto or cherry di I get this right in English?)

My liquor store also carry a 15 years old which is about $100 so I will try that one next. The only other choice they have a 30 years olf but its $1100 and really I can't afford that as much as I would like ut. I hear their 40 years old is just amazing but I doubt I will ever get the chance to try it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #39
Kali157 Kali157 is offline
Special Member
 
Nov 2009
43
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
The choices for it are limited here at the liquor store, so I went with the 12 years old. Very good but I would say it's almost better to use it as an after dinner whisky, it,s almost like a porto or cherry di I get this right in English?)

My liquor store also carry a 15 years old which is about $100 so I will try that one next. The only other choice they have a 30 years olf but its $1100 and really I can't afford that as much as I would like ut. I hear their 40 years old is just amazing but I doubt I will ever get the chance to try it.
From what I have tasted, age is rarely an accurate barometer for how good a scotch tastes, even from the same distillery. Take Glenfiddich: I think their scotch peaks at 15 yrs. Their 18 loses a lot of its signature character, while 30 yrs gains heat and little else. Even Lagavulin peaks at 16 yrs for me; the 21 (multiple tastes) and 25 (tasted once) surprisingly loses a good amount of complexity found in the 16.

Come to think of it, I can't remember a scotch older than 25 years that tastes better than a younger version in that specific distillery's line. Not saying there isn't one; I just haven't found it (but will keep tasting till I do).

Got me curious about the Dalmore. I will try to look for it at some bars to try it out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #40
P@t_Mtl P@t_Mtl is offline
Blu-ray Duke
 
P@t_Mtl's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Montreal
4
452
513
3
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl
Default

I do get caaried away about age because I was a cognac guy (still am) before whisky.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:13 PM.