Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
2 hrs ago
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$14.99
31 min ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.31

Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Dragon Ball Z: Seasons 1-9 Collection (Blu-ray)
$123.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage

Old 01-09-2012, 09:34 PM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
That's like $500 worth of Scotch in your photo. Well done, sir. Well done.

I just bought this not that long ago.

I usually always drink Johnnie Black but I have some Johnnie Green from my birthday last year that's still there.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #22
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali157 View Post

Talisker 10: This is one of the bottles I have open right now. Spicy and slightly fruity. Great flavor. Also the last distillery from Skye.
This one was also suggested by my coworker, it's probably going to be my next purchase
Old 01-09-2012, 11:00 PM   #23
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnake View Post

I usually always drink Johnnie Black but I have some Johnnie Green from my birthday last year that's still there.
What is the flavor of green , i have had the blue, gold, black and red but never green.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:

Can I interest you in trying new scotch? JW is pretty good, but there is a whole world of scotch out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
This one was also suggested by my coworker, it's probably going to be my next purchase
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
What is the flavor of green , i have had the blue, gold, black and red but never green.
15 yr if memory serves.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #25
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Columbus, OH

Quote:
While I have not had any of the JW offerings, the tasting notes (and other info I've seen) would seem to indicate the Green label uses more Islay whiskies in the blend. Here are a few tasting notes for you.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Montreal

Quote:
My pallet isn't developed enough for me to distinguish that unfortunately. It's definitely more intense than the black label.

This is from wiki

Quote:
a blended malt using only four malts "drawn from the four corners of Scotland" – the intent of the blend is to deliver depth, substance, intensity. Each of the malts is selected by the blender for balance and each malt whisky is matured for a minimum of 15 years.
Quote:
Can I interest you in trying new scotch? JW is pretty good, but there is a whole world of scotch out there.
I'm all ears
Old 01-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #27
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilly019 View Post
While I have not had any of the JW offerings, the tasting notes (and other info I've seen) would seem to indicate the Green label uses more Islay whiskies in the blend. Here are a few tasting notes for you.
Hey, thanks for the link. Some very good info on a library of scotches in one place.

Quote:
I'm all ears
First off, some disclaimers: this isn't a science. I maybe on the mark on suggestions, but I may also be off. But I think trying new scotch tastes is half the fun. Also, I haven't tried every scotch (I am working on it), so I hope others can throw in suggestions.

Okay, now the recommendations. First, what specific types of drinks do you typically gravitate towards? This could be anything from wine to beer to whiskey. What flavors do you typically enjoy in a drink (spice, fruit, heat, smoky, mild, strong, etc)?

Gonna be out of town soon so replies maybe slow. I am sure others can help too.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #28
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Okay, now the recommendations. First, what specific types of drinks do you typically gravitate towards? This could be anything from wine to beer to whiskey. What flavors do you typically enjoy in a drink (spice, fruit, heat, smoky, mild, strong, etc)?

Gonna be out of town soon so replies maybe slow. I am sure others can help too.
I like a good beer. Either blonde or red. Not crazy about the heavy ones. More of a mild / smooth taste. For Red wine I usually just like round / smooth ones as well, hate when it's harsh. I like rum, captain morgan dark or spice. Hate vodka.

I sometimes do drink my johnny black with ginger ale (I know you guys will probably crucify me for that)

Overall I'm not really a big drinker but I'm trying to get into Scotch / Whiskey more and more.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:30 PM   #29
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:

I sometimes do drink my johnny black with ginger ale (I know you guys will probably crucify me for that)
Really? How did that taste?

I did try mine once (Glennfidich) with coke. Not bad but in the end rhum and coke just seem to work much better. I usually just take my whisky straight, no ice, no water. Of course I drink a small amount.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:47 PM   #30
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Really? How did that taste?

I did try mine once (Glennfidich) with coke. Not bad but in the end rhum and coke just seem to work much better. I usually just take my whisky straight, no ice, no water. Of course I drink a small amount.
I personally love it. I find it taste really good. Nice blend with the ginger ale and the johnny black. Funny enough, I used to drink it with coke and one day at a bar I ordered another and the bartender assumed ginger ale and ever since I tasted it, I haven't gone back to coke since.
Old 01-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #31

Jul 2010
USA

My background: I've been drinking single-malt Scotch since I went to Scotland six years ago. My personal preference is for Highland Park. The 12 is wonderful, the 18 even more so! I find I prefer the smokier whiskys. I prefer them neat, but if I ever have any distilled water on hand, I may use a tiny bit to open up the aroma. I don't care for blends and I don't mix.

A friend of mine recently came back from a trip to Scotland. She bought a Talisker 10 while on Skye and we had a tasting. I liked the flavor, but found it a bit oily on the roof of my mouth. We also tried a Glenlivet Nadurra which was powerful good! Chewy and smoky with a hint of sweetness.

The least pleasant Scotch I've ever tasted was a Bowmore. It tasted like someone poured salt into the bottle. It put me off Islay malts for a while, unfairly I suppose. I may have a go at some others.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #32
Power Member

Jul 2009
ʞ∩ ǝɥ┴

Quote:

My man ! I love a Scotch and Dry every now and then. Or a Whisky Mac.

The two flavours together are a very well known, classic combination - no need to worry about being crucified.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:08 AM   #33
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
I personally love it. I find it taste really good. Nice blend with the ginger ale and the johnny black. Funny enough, I used to drink it with coke and one day at a bar I ordered another and the bartender assumed ginger ale and ever since I tasted it, I haven't gone back to coke since.
I will have to give this a try
Old 01-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #34
Power Member

Jul 2009
ʞ∩ ǝɥ┴

You should do Pat. I find most mixers such as Coke, Lemonade etc become sickly and syrupy after a few measures. Ginger Ale doesn't suffer this in the same way. You can get more of them down your neck !
Old 01-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #35
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

I tried the ginger ale but did not really enjoy the taste. It might be that it work better with certain type of whisky?

Also, I think I just discovered my new favorite whisky, Dalmore...wow
Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 PM   #36
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
I like a good beer. Either blonde or red. Not crazy about the heavy ones. More of a mild / smooth taste. For Red wine I usually just like round / smooth ones as well, hate when it's harsh. I like rum, captain morgan dark or spice. Hate vodka.

Overall I'm not really a big drinker but I'm trying to get into Scotch / Whiskey more and more.
I would suggest Balvenie 12 dble wood, Glenfiddich 15, Oban 14 (costco has em for a reasonable price in my area). Those are pretty easy on the pallet and smooth. Anyway, if you are interested and have a chance, try them out.

We just came back from a wedding in Kauai, and my friend placed a bottle of Belvenie 12 on the "secret menu" for the both of us (what a great friend). I really enjoyed it.

JW black is fine mixed... if you tried to mix a Lagavulin, we may have a few words.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #37
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
I tried the ginger ale but did not really enjoy the taste. It might be that it work better with certain type of whisky?

Also, I think I just discovered my new favorite whisky, Dalmore...wow
Possibly. When on the plane (esp long, international flights), I sometimes enjoy Chivas or Johny Red with ginger ale. It takes the edge off the harshness and adds flavor to "blandness" of certain types of scotch. I think if you tried to mix ginger ale with scotch with a good amount of flavor, the results maybe less desirable.

Which Dalmore did you try? What did you like about it? Have not tried any myself, so I am curious.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #38
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Which Dalmore did you try? What did you like about it? Have not tried any myself, so I am curious.
The choices for it are limited here at the liquor store, so I went with the 12 years old. Very good but I would say it's almost better to use it as an after dinner whisky, it,s almost like a porto or cherry di I get this right in English?)

My liquor store also carry a 15 years old which is about $100 so I will try that one next. The only other choice they have a 30 years olf but its $1100 and really I can't afford that as much as I would like ut. I hear their 40 years old is just amazing but I doubt I will ever get the chance to try it.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:13 AM   #39
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
The choices for it are limited here at the liquor store, so I went with the 12 years old. Very good but I would say it's almost better to use it as an after dinner whisky, it,s almost like a porto or cherry di I get this right in English?)

My liquor store also carry a 15 years old which is about $100 so I will try that one next. The only other choice they have a 30 years olf but its $1100 and really I can't afford that as much as I would like ut. I hear their 40 years old is just amazing but I doubt I will ever get the chance to try it.
From what I have tasted, age is rarely an accurate barometer for how good a scotch tastes, even from the same distillery. Take Glenfiddich: I think their scotch peaks at 15 yrs. Their 18 loses a lot of its signature character, while 30 yrs gains heat and little else. Even Lagavulin peaks at 16 yrs for me; the 21 (multiple tastes) and 25 (tasted once) surprisingly loses a good amount of complexity found in the 16.

Come to think of it, I can't remember a scotch older than 25 years that tastes better than a younger version in that specific distillery's line. Not saying there isn't one; I just haven't found it (but will keep tasting till I do).

Got me curious about the Dalmore. I will try to look for it at some bars to try it out.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #40
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal

I do get caaried away about age because I was a cognac guy (still am) before whisky.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage