Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99
10 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96
16 hrs ago
Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99
4 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Three Fantastic Journeys by Karel Zeman (Blu-ray)
$71.14
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage

Old 01-29-2012, 12:54 AM   #41
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@t_Mtl View Post
I do get caaried away about age because I was a cognac guy (still am) before whisky.
Age plays a big factor in cognac? Didn't know that. See, I learn something new each day.

Any cognacs to recommend?
Old 01-29-2012, 03:59 AM   #42
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali157 View Post
Age plays a big factor in cognac? Didn't know that. See, I learn something new each day.

Any cognacs to recommend?
Cognac are blended together from a certain age range which give the rating in this fashion

V.S. ("very special") Very Special, or ✯✯✯ (three stars) designates a blend in which the youngest brandy has been stored for at least two years in cask.

V.S.O.P. ("very superior old pale") designates a blend in which the youngest brandy is stored for at least four years in a cask, but the average wood age is much older.

XO ("extra old") designates a blend in which the youngest brandy is stored for at least six years but on average for upwards of 20 years

After that age and prices go up.

I think Courvoisier is popular in the USA because it seem it's mention often by rappers in their songs and video? I am partial to Remy Martin cognac myself. Some years ago, I won a Remy Martin Louis XIII bottle. That particular collection start at $3000 a bottle. Each is made from cognac from 75 to 100 years old. I can say that I do not drink it enough It's been 12 years and I am only half into the bottle. Some cognac can go to $10000 a bottle these are made from very old cask. I once saw a documentary on cognac, one house of cognac as a few cask that are 300-400 years old. These bottle can only be offered as gift by the French President. I believe there is a bottle in the White House.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:55 AM   #43

Jul 2010
USA

If you have friends who enjoy Scotch, here's a fun thing to do.

Three friends of mine and I have formed a birthday Scotch club. Each time one of us has a birthday, the others take the birthday boy to the liquor store of his choice. All four contribute up to $30 bucks (you can choose your own limit). So on each birthday, we all get to share in up to a $120 bottle of Scotch. We all enjoy a finger or two together, and then the birthday boy keeps the rest.

It gives us the opportunity to try a wide variety of Scotches that we wouldn't normally be able to try individually.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #44
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Cognac are blended together from a certain age range which give the rating in this fashion

V.S. ("very special") Very Special, or ✯✯✯ (three stars) designates a blend in which the youngest brandy has been stored for at least two years in cask.

V.S.O.P. ("very superior old pale") designates a blend in which the youngest brandy is stored for at least four years in a cask, but the average wood age is much older.

XO ("extra old") designates a blend in which the youngest brandy is stored for at least six years but on average for upwards of 20 years

After that age and prices go up.

I think Courvoisier is popular in the USA because it seem it's mention often by rappers in their songs and video? I am partial to Remy Martin cognac myself. Some years ago, I won a Remy Martin Louis XIII bottle. That particular collection start at $3000 a bottle. Each is made from cognac from 75 to 100 years old. I can say that I do not drink it enough It's been 12 years and I am only half into the bottle. Some cognac can go to $10000 a bottle these are made from very old cask. I once saw a documentary on cognac, one house of cognac as a few cask that are 300-400 years old. These bottle can only be offered as gift by the French President. I believe there is a bottle in the White House.
Thanks for the info. I knew generally about the levels, but I didn't know about the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApolloOne View Post
If you have friends who enjoy Scotch, here's a fun thing to do.

Three friends of mine and I have formed a birthday Scotch club. Each time one of us has a birthday, the others take the birthday boy to the liquor store of his choice. All four contribute up to $30 bucks (you can choose your own limit). So on each birthday, we all get to share in up to a $120 bottle of Scotch. We all enjoy a finger or two together, and then the birthday boy keeps the rest.

It gives us the opportunity to try a wide variety of Scotches that we wouldn't normally be able to try individually.
This is a nice idea, if you can keep it going. I don't think I can swing this with my friends since it is already hard enough to get together for special occasions... it is like herding cats (I am probably the worst). If I generate enough interest, maybe introduce a new (expensive) scotch at the next gtg/tasting and have people throw in $5-$10... if not enough interest, then no expensive scotch.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:05 PM   #45
Blu-ray Duke

Sep 2008
Montreal
Send a message via Yahoo to P@t_Mtl
Default Would You Open It?

http://pursuitist.com/epicurean/glen...-record-94000/
Old 03-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

Quote:
Prolly doesnt taste like its worth that price. I mean don't get me wrong I love a good Scotch, but at $94,000 it better give me an orgasm and leave me numb for hours lol. Not sure I'd open it except for a really special occassion. A really really really special occasion. End of the world type shit.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #47
Special Member

Nov 2009

IF I cannot resell it (for some reason), I would drink it. Good scotch is meant to be drunk (different from getting drunk). It is like not listening to an expensive speaker for fear of wearing out the drivers. Plus, a baby seal dies every day you keep a purchased scotch closed. Why would you hurt a baby seal?

But I assume people buy these bottles as an investment.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #48
Banned

Dec 2011
Norn Iron

I do like a good bottle of scotch but in general when I am buying whiskey I will purchase a bottle of the local Bushmills.images (42).jpg
Old 06-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #49
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarty View Post
I do like a good bottle of scotch but in general when I am buying whiskey I will purchase a bottle of the local Bushmills.Attachment 46627
Any favorites of the Bushmills line? I think I have only tried the 10yr and the 16 yr. On the lighter side but pretty good IIRC.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #50
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

I recently tried Lagavulin 16 and Oban 14. The former is now my new favorite.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #51
Special Member

Nov 2009

By the way, someone awhile back suggested that I use the Oenophilia Private Preserve Wine Preserver on my open bottle of scotches. It puts a layer or argon on the top of the scotch to keep it from oxidizing and losing the various flavors. I have been using it since Jan, and I can tell you it does work. Just 2 spritz into the bottle after each drinking session. I really notice it on scotch I am familiar with. I opened a Lagavulin 16 right when I got the preserver, and it kept the flavors sealed even towards the end of the bottle. The layer of argon does not interact with the scotch and affect its flavor (something I was really worried about).
Old 06-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #52
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
Detroit,MI

I prefer bourbon over scotch. Bourbon always has a nice aroma of vanilla & oak. Markers Mark is one of my favorites.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #53
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post
I recently tried Lagavulin 16 and Oban 14. The former is now my new favorite.
Nice. What did you like about it? The Ardmore 92 shares some of the Laga's peat/smoke characteristics, but lacks its complexity due to the age (8yrs BUT in a quarter cask maturation). It is a little more spicy, again due to the maturation style. Another you may enjoy is the Ardbeg 10. More peat/smoke than the Laga, but noticeably less than the Laphroig 10.

But nothing beats a Lagavlin to me. If you have a Costco membership, some stores carry the Lagavulin for $49 (at least the two stores near me do).
Old 06-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #54
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop Express View Post
I prefer bourbon over scotch. Bourbon always has a nice aroma of vanilla & oak. Markers Mark is one of my favorites.
Funny you should say that b/c I was just going to ask for bourbon suggestions. Any other suggestions? Makers was nice but a bit on the light side for me. Then again, it has been years since I tried it... may give it another shot.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #55
Banned

Dec 2011
Norn Iron

Quote:
Any favorites of the Bushmills line? I think I have only tried the 10yr and the 16 yr. On the lighter side but pretty good IIRC.
I normally just buy the original(white)bottle,I do like the black bush though a bit sweet for my liking,I have tried the 10 year single malt and the 1608 anniversary whiskey,both very good.
I'll have to try and get a glass of the 21 year stuff sometime when I'm out in the pub as a bottle of that is a bit pricey.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:27 PM   #56
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Quote:
Nice. What did you like about it? The Ardmore 92 shares some of the Laga's peat/smoke characteristics, but lacks its complexity due to the age (8yrs BUT in a quarter cask maturation). It is a little more spicy, again due to the maturation style. Another you may enjoy is the Ardbeg 10. More peat/smoke than the Laga, but noticeably less than the Laphroig 10.

But nothing beats a Lagavlin to me. If you have a Costco membership, some stores carry the Lagavulin for $49 (at least the two stores near me do).
I thought it had the perfect balance of smoky and sweet with a pretty rich bold taste. And yes, I bought both Lagavulin and Oban at great prices from Costco. I better stock up on the Lagavulin while they have the rebate going on.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #57
Special Member

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuarty View Post
I normally just buy the original(white)bottle,I do like the black bush though a bit sweet for my liking,I have tried the 10 year single malt and the 1608 anniversary whiskey,both very good.
I'll have to try and get a glass of the 21 year stuff sometime when I'm out in the pub as a bottle of that is a bit pricey.
You are making me want to buy a bottle... I am craving something different... hence the recommendations for bourbon above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManUtd View Post
I thought it had the perfect balance of smoky and sweet with a pretty rich bold taste. And yes, I bought both Lagavulin and Oban at great prices from Costco. I better stock up on the Lagavulin while they have the rebate going on.
Oh good. Lagavulin's prices have been steadily increasing. Actually, most scotch prices have been going up. The Costco rebate usually happens twice a year around here: around now and around the holidays. Good time to stock up.
Old 06-15-2012, 02:59 AM   #58
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Quote:
Oh good. Lagavulin's prices have been steadily increasing. Actually, most scotch prices have been going up. The Costco rebate usually happens twice a year around here: around now and around the holidays. Good time to stock up.
The Costco sale is until July 3rd so I got plenty of time. BTW, check out what I saw today:

[Show spoiler]
Old 06-15-2012, 03:30 AM   #59
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Baltimore, MD

Quote:
Funny you should say that b/c I was just going to ask for bourbon suggestions. Any other suggestions? Makers was nice but a bit on the light side for me. Then again, it has been years since I tried it... may give it another shot.
Pappy Van Winkle. If you can find it, you'll love it
Old 06-18-2012, 07:31 PM   #60
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Quote:
Went to Costco yesterday and got these:

[Show spoiler]

I'm gonna try the Glendiffich 18 next. It's about the same price as the Lagavulin 16.

Last edited by ManUtd; 06-18-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage