Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
2 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
15 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
16 hrs ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Orphen: Complete Collection SD (Blu-ray)
$10.99

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Motherless Brooklyn (Blu-ray)
$14.99
15 hrs ago
Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Old 02-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA
Default The Official R2R Owners Thread

Just picked up one of these today. Should have it delivered early next week. Did someone say Tape Project?

Mine is not a Time Code model, so no "T" after the BR-20

Have to admit though, that is one gorgeous machine.

Last edited by Johnny Vinyl; 02-08-2015 at 04:20 PM. Reason: title change after merge
Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

VERY nice!
Old 02-13-2012, 02:22 AM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

I know nothing about these things but that thing is drop dead gorgeous, congrats
Old 02-13-2012, 09:35 PM   #4

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous! And congrats Fred! That makes what....3 R2R's now? It that a 15ips as well?
Old 02-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Gorgeous! Absolutely gorgeous! And congrats Fred! That makes what....3 R2R's now? It that a 15ips as well?
Thanks John! It actually makes four now. And yes it is a pure 2 track machine with either NAB or IEC equalization and either 7.5 or 15 ips.

I bought it primarily to make my own tapes with and I wanted a bit better sound than the 4 track machines offer. You know the Tape Project tapes are very expensive so it's not something that I'll get into immediately, but it's nice to know that I have a capable machine if I eventually go that route.

Now the deck just needs to arrive in one piece and be as advertised. And I am keeping my fingers crossed on that one.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRayFred View Post
Just picked up one of these today. Should have it delivered early next week. Did someone say Tape Project?

[Show spoiler]

Mine is not a Time Code model, so no "T" after the BR-20

Have to admit though, that is one gorgeous machine.

That machine is an absolute STUNNER !!!!!

I'm just starting my RTR research now & I can only pray to score something like that.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:51 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

The Tascam was on my doorstep when I got home from work late last night. Only had time to open the box, give it a good inspection, check its functions, clean and demagnatize the tape path and give it a general once over with a cleaning cloth.

The machine is in excellent condition and appears to have been well cared for.

I set it up tonight in the listening room and am recording Steely Dan's Everything Must Go lp at 15ips with the IEC equalization selected. I did a test recording of a single track and the playback sounded phenom!

Going to be having some fun this weekend gents!

Last edited by FreddieFerric; 02-25-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
The Tascam was on my doorstep when I got home from work late last night. Only had time to open the box, give it a good inspection, check its functions, clean and demagnatize the tape path and give it a general once over with a cleaning cloth.

I set it up tonight in the listening room and am recording Steely Dan's Everything Must Go lp at 15ips with the IEC equalization selected. I did a test recording of a single track and the playback sounded phenom!

Congrats on that phenomenal purchase

I'm glad everything is working out for you and I hope I am as lucky once I take the plunge

Happy Recording
Old 02-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #9
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
Congrats on that phenomenal purchase

I'm glad everything is working out for you and I hope I am as lucky once I take the plunge

Happy Recording
Thanks Russ! The recording last night came out great. Really good.

Did you ever own a RTR at some point in the past? You'll notice that tape is making a big comeback at the CES, RMAF, etc., these days, and getting rave reviews for sound quality.

Seems like tape was just kicked to the curb when digital really came on and now it seems that most people have just forgotten how great that analog tape can really sound. Plus, those big wheels turning at night with the lights down and those VU meters flicking away has a high chick factor and look totally awesome!

Last edited by FreddieFerric; 02-25-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #10

Jul 2007

Quote:

It's the bolded part that came as very pleasant news and I'm sure you breathed a sigh of relief at that discovery. Congrats on a super find Fred! I wish I was there to experience it!
Old 02-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

Quote:
It's the bolded part that came as very pleasant news and I'm sure you breathed a sigh of relief at that discovery. Congrats on a super find Fred! I wish I was there to experience it!
Thank you John! Yes, it was a HUGE relief, especially considering the atrocious packaging. Mickey Mouse could have done better. My first reaction when I saw the box was: I'm soooo screwed! Thankfully everthing inside was good!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:04 AM   #12
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Thanks Russ! The recording last night came out great. Really good.

Did you ever own a RTR at some point in the past? You'll notice that tape is making a big comeback at the CES, RMAF, etc., these days, and getting rave reviews for sound quality.

Seems like tape was just kicked to the curb when digital really came on and now it seems that most people have just forgotten how great that analog tape can really sound. Plus, those big wheels turning at night with the lights down and those VU meters flicking away has a high chick factor and look totally awesome!
No...... I never owned one personally but, I had the chance to use them at radio stations and recording studios....... I've always loved them but cassettes were more universally accepted amongst my friends for their portability. I really hope to see some manufacturers creating new machines in the near future

And I too was hoodwinked and bamboozled into thinking digital media (CD's) were the way to go . That's why my present turntable had so few miles on it. CD's like other digital media are just more convenient to use and access certain tracks ........ but the quality just isn't there. You can spend thousands of dollars on cutting edge DAC's and still not be able to create a perfect waveform (which of course is analog) .

But I hope I'm as lucky as you were in scoring a machine . You did good
Old 03-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #13

Jul 2007

Hoping to hear back from the seller soon. It's been less than 24hrs, but I'm anxious to find out. It's a great price and I know the seller from another forum...just hope it hasn't been snatched up yet. Wish me luck, because I can actually afford this.

Akai 630D

akai_630d_1.jpg
Old 03-01-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Hoping to hear back from the seller soon. It's been less than 24hrs, but I'm anxious to find out. It's a great price and I know the seller from another forum...just hope it hasn't been snatched up yet. Wish me luck, because I can actually afford this.

Akai 630D

Attachment 44619
That would look awesome in your great 2 ch setup, vintage Lane all the way. Wishing you luck John.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Those are two wonderful units guys!

You make me want to spin up my R2R tonight, but I got my new SACD/DVD-A player and I have some Bob Dylan discs that need playing.

Enjoy those R2Rs!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #16

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
That would look awesome in your great 2 ch setup, vintage Lane all the way. Wishing you luck John.
Thanks Pat! I've had a shot at a few R2R's this last year, but none of them panned out, so I have high hopes for this. I really want a R2R. I just hope I haven't jinxed myself by posting this.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:16 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN

Quote:

Tape is making a comeback on a consumer level? While I'm all for it, where did you hear about this? Are manufacturers making decks again, or are artists releasing music on the 2 or 4 track format? If you have any links about this I'd love to read them!
Old 03-01-2012, 10:27 PM   #18

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhcr View Post
Tape is making a comeback on a consumer level? While I'm all for it, where did you hear about this? Are manufacturers making decks again, or are artists releasing music on the 2 or 4 track format? If you have any links about this I'd love to read them!
Tape is not making a comeback at the consumer level, but it is with audiophiles. New decks are not being mass-produced, but there are companies that specialize in reconditioning older machines and bringing them back up to standard and more.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:01 AM   #19
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhcr View Post
These guys are making decks for any consumer with the requisite funds to complete the purchase. http://www.sonorusaudio.com/ATR10_FIF7.html

These guys are completely reinventing existing Tascam BR-20's and apparently have no real shortage of product, if you can afford it. http://www.unitedhomeproducts.com/

And let's not forget that Otari will still build you a brand new deck if your heart so desires and your wallet has the green. http://www.otari.com/

So yes, tape is making a comeback with those who can appreciate the format. But let's not kid ourselves. They won't be on display at your nearest Best Buy any time soon.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:04 AM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

Quote:

Akai 630D

Attachment 44619
FANTASTIC JOHN! You know I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you on this one.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music