Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
12 hrs ago
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
11 hrs ago
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96
22 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99
 
Uncut Gems (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49
 
Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
23 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Bombshell (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio > Computer Audio


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #21
singhcr singhcr is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
singhcr's Avatar
 
Sep 2008
Apple Valley, MN
11
5
23
4
23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Agreed and for many, headphones is the only way to get real hi-fi at low prices, but you need good DACs and amp for that, onboard just usually doesn't cut it (though they have improved a lot)
Yep, the onboards have been getting a lot better over the years in terms of both sound performance and CPU utilization %, but they pale in comparison to a good dedicated sound card. The Xonar ST is $200. It's expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #22
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
570
1
6
158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivatePixel View Post
It seems that manufacturers are leaning towards Creative Labs to provide audio chips (such as the CA20K2) for their mid- to upper-range motherboards, which I assume is a better alternative to Realtek's HD audio codecs (which I dislike tremendously). I can't comment on their quality as I haven't heard their output, but I'm not a fan of Creative's offerings (due largely to their drivers), so for me, I would opt for a separate PCI/PCI-e solution over an onboard one.

I use an ASUS Xonar DX (PCI-e 1x version) in my current rig and couldn't be happier.
The DX is one of the best bang for the buck there is. Solid hardware, good implementation. For the price of one of these, unless you can't hear the difference or don't care, the step up from most onboard is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhcr View Post
Yep, the onboards have been getting a lot better over the years in terms of both sound performance and CPU utilization %, but they pale in comparison to a good dedicated sound card. The Xonar ST is $200. It's expensive, but well worth it in my opinion.
Actually since it's a very good DAC, decent ADC, impressive headphone amp, at $200 it's cheap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:31 AM   #23
drummerboy drummerboy is offline
Active Member
 
drummerboy's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
australia
43
60
258
Default

I am using the Auzen X-fi 7.1 home theatre hd i especially like the dtsma via hdmi and get an awesome sound when run to the denon avpa1hd processor.Between the two its hard pressed to beat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMGP0845 (Medium).JPG (56.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMGP0862 (Medium).jpg (63.5 KB, 6 views)
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
Goat1 Goat1 is offline
Power Member
 
Goat1's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
3
Default

I'm using a Soundcore 3D fatality right now,but when this comes out in Dec I'll own it..
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/16/c...-z-soundcards/
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #25
Nick The Slick Nick The Slick is offline
Expert Member
 
Nick The Slick's Avatar
 
Dec 2011
Kentucky
27
111
2
Default

I just use my Radeon HD 6870 (video card) for audio output through HDMI. It evens outputs at 24/192 (with a change of a simple setting) so my FLAC music (all at various bit depths and sample rates) can be played to it's full potential. Sound cards are definitely a must in a studio situation or a non-home theater related use, but for HT a dedicated video card with HDMI out can't be beat, audio and video in one package~
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #26
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
570
1
6
158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post
I'm using a Soundcore 3D fatality right now,but when this comes out in Dec I'll own it..
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/16/c...-z-soundcards/
Didn't really read more than horizontally but the specs look good. But I would never ever buy a Creative product, their support is one of the worst in the industry. It takes them forever to issue drivers for new os. And they're not known to support for a long time neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick The Slick View Post
I just use my Radeon HD 6870 (video card) for audio output through HDMI. It evens outputs at 24/192 (with a change of a simple setting) so my FLAC music (all at various bit depths and sample rates) can be played to it's full potential. Sound cards are definitely a must in a studio situation or a non-home theater related use, but for HT a dedicated video card with HDMI out can't be beat, audio and video in one package~
Def the way to go if you don't need analog out and feed an avr.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:15 AM   #27
Johnny Vinyl Johnny Vinyl is offline
Moderator
 
Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
19
205
7
3
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post
I'm using a Soundcore 3D fatality right now,but when this comes out in Dec I'll own it..
http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/16/c...-z-soundcards/
Creative makes a nice product for sure. However......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
Didn't really read more than horizontally but the specs look good. But I would never ever buy a Creative product, their support is one of the worst in the industry. It takes them forever to issue drivers for new os. And they're not known to support for a long time neither.
Pat is right. It took over 2 years for them to finally release a Vista driver for my X-Fi Music Card. And don't trust their Beta drivers either.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
Goat1 Goat1 is offline
Power Member
 
Goat1's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
3
Default

I've never had a problem with creative products. I've owned lots of sound blasters. You can go on 3D guru and find Daniel K's sound blaster drivers. Most people swear by them. So how often do you expect new drivers? If it isn't broken don't fix it. If your talking about the popping issues,it wasn't creatives deal,it was only doing it with certain mother boards.. I've had a razer Barracuda ac-1 also,very nice card..I still have it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #29
Johnny Vinyl Johnny Vinyl is offline
Moderator
 
Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
19
205
7
3
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post
I've never had a problem with creative products. I've owned lots of sound blasters. You can go on 3D guru and find Daniel K's sound blaster drivers. Most people swear by them. So how often do you expect new drivers? If it isn't broken don't fix it. If your talking about the popping issues,it wasn't creatives deal,it was only doing it with certain mother boards.. I've had a razer Barracuda ac-1 also,very nice card..I still have it.
I expect a new driver when a new OS is released...that's called support. I couldn't use the CL software once I upgraded to Vista. Like I said, it took 2 years for them to finally issue a proper driver. That's bullshit.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #30
Goat1 Goat1 is offline
Power Member
 
Goat1's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
3
Default

Or people don't know what the hell they are doing.. Like I said,I had zero issues with Creative. When Microsoft throws the audio companies a curve ball by taking out the sound abstraction layer,that puts everyone in a bind. I had my Barracuda back then too,guess what,I had to wait 3 months for drivers that even worked. My Xf-i xtreme music worked perfect. To me Vista was a lot more solid than XP.. From a computer techs point of view it sucked.. More BSOD on that platform than any other. Not to mention all my friends and myself had to reformat 2-3 times a year. Once we switched to Vista,we never had to. We never had to with Win 7 either.. Asus cards are far from perfect also.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #31
Johnny Vinyl Johnny Vinyl is offline
Moderator
 
Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
19
205
7
3
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post
Or people don't know what the hell they are doing.. Like I said,I had zero issues with Creative. When Microsoft throws the audio companies a curve ball by taking out the sound abstraction layer,that puts everyone in a bind. I had my Barracuda back then too,guess what,I had to wait 3 months for drivers that even worked. My Xf-i xtreme music worked perfect. To me Vista was a lot more solid than XP.. From a computer techs point of view it sucked.. More BSOD on that platform than any other. Not to mention all my friends and myself had to reformat 2-3 times a year. Once we switched to Vista,we never had to. We never had to with Win 7 either.. Asus cards are far from perfect also.
I hope that's not a veil shot, so I'll leave it.

Whether or not MS leaves something out or adds something in, it's up to the third party suppliers to make sure their products work within a reasonable time frame. CL didn't do that.

Most people that buy these cards aren't PC Tech's , they just want them to work and expect support. If you are able to work around those issues, then good for you. And yes, Asus cards are not perfect either.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #32
Goat1 Goat1 is offline
Power Member
 
Goat1's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
3
Default

What are you talking about creative didn't do that. They even added in alchemy to restore the direct x extensions.. Do you even know what your talking about?
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:36 PM   #33
Johnny Vinyl Johnny Vinyl is offline
Moderator
 
Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
19
205
7
3
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post
What are you talking about creative didn't do that. They even added in alchemy to restore the direct x extensions.. Do you even know what your talking about?
My opinion is based on a user opinion and one who is NOT a PC Tech. All I know is that when I upgraded the OS my CL software stopped working. After I inquired about it all I got was that we will have a new driver available soon to rectify the issue. That took 2 years. That's BS and I don't care which way you slice it.

I am NOT a PC Tech and thereby not inclined to find workaround solutions as I'm not comfortable doing that. So sue me. If that makes me ignorant in your eyes then that's your problem, not mine.

And one last thing. People come on here to assist each other, not to question others and minimize their input simply because they don't agree with yours.

BTW...my lowly Yamaha HTR-6190 only had YPAO...I still preferred it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #34
Goat1 Goat1 is offline
Power Member
 
Goat1's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
3
Default

Your wrong. Vista came out in Jan 07. The 1st update for the xf-i was may 07. I know because I had to pull out my razer barracuda,why,no vista drivers. The xfi xtreme music worked just fine.. Don't be a hater!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #35
pentatonic pentatonic is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
pentatonic's Avatar
 
Jan 2009
Montreal, Canada
570
1
6
158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post
What are you talking about creative didn't do that. They even added in alchemy to restore the direct x extensions.. Do you even know what your talking about?
All I can say is my own experience and that of friends. We are not saying the product isn't good, we're talking about support for their customers. I own an E-Mu pro card, love it, but as soon as Creative bought E-Mu, support went out the Windows pun intended (either Vista or 7). Because they finally came out with Beta drivers who are sketchy at best I had to reinstall 7 fresh and in a specific order drivers wise. Yes I know what I'm doing, but it shouldn't be like that. I own some Logitech stuff and never had a problem support wise.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:29 AM   #36
Johnny Vinyl Johnny Vinyl is offline
Moderator
 
Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
19
205
7
3
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post
Your wrong. Vista came out in Jan 07. The 1st update for the xf-i was may 07. I know because I had to pull out my razer barracuda,why,no vista drivers. The xfi xtreme music worked just fine.. Don't be a hater!
That driver, as far as I know, was in Beta and stayed that way for 2 years. I couldn't get the software to work during that time. This is/was my only beef. I am not a hater at all, but I expect support. I need support in fact, as I'm not a tech and don't know the first thing about messing around with drivers or other files.

I'm glad you're happy with your choice, as that is the only thing that matters. Enjoy it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:24 AM   #37
prerich prerich is offline
Moderator
 
prerich's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
46
1
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
I considered an outboard DAC, but after reading the reviews of the built-in headphone amp on STX I went with it. 124dB S/N ratio What's not to love? I'm very happy with this card!
I'm getting ready to go all in with the HT Omega Claro Halo XT 7.1 wih daughter card.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #38
Johnny Vinyl Johnny Vinyl is offline
Moderator
 
Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
19
205
7
3
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I'm getting ready to go all in with the HT Omega Claro Halo XT 7.1 wih daughter card.
I read that in your PC Prepro thread. I'm reading it, but can't comment as I'm lost....LOL!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #39
Goat1 Goat1 is offline
Power Member
 
Goat1's Avatar
 
Jan 2012
3
Default

This is my next card..
http://www.slashgear.com/creative-la...-pcs-16243079/
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #40
Johnny Vinyl Johnny Vinyl is offline
Moderator
 
Johnny Vinyl's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave
19
205
7
3
8
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post
Which of those 3 cards are you getting?
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio > Computer Audio


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:34 AM.