Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99
3 hrs ago
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$41.99
6 hrs ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Husbands (Blu-ray)
$29.49
3 hrs ago
The Dallas Connection (Blu-ray)
$11.99
6 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$36.64
11 hrs ago
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Enemy Gold (Blu-ray)
$11.99
6 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 01-31-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Michigan
Target My local Target severely cuts media section

This is a recently remodeled Target with a Disney Store inside.

View from the aisle. Movies are on the left side, books on the right. CDs and vinyl are on a endcap on the left. To the left of this pic is a much reduced video game section, to the right of this pic is another small section of books.

[Show spoiler]

The movie section.

[Show spoiler]

This might be old news to some, but I was unpleasantly surprised when I visited the store today.
Thanks given by:
strumdogg (02-01-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 07:44 PM   #2
Power Member

Jan 2019

Looks like most of the Targets around here. They seem to be centralizing media is certain stores at the expense of others.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:18 PM   #3
Banned

Jun 2013

This is how most of mine have looked for well over a year now.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:32 PM   #4
Special Member

Aug 2017

Yep. Like many have reported, they did that remodel at our Super Target a year ago. It was part of a storewide remodel that affected almost everything but the grocery and maybe clothing depts. Thread title had me worried they were downsizing even more, considering when I was there a week ago, half of the new release spaces were empty. If yours is just now getting around to remodeling, that's actually encouraging that Target probably doesn't have any immediate plans to scale back media even further.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:40 PM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010

At first I thought the title heading was referring to physically cutting media selections, as in slashed cases, slipcovers, etc. But yeah, this media reduction has been in effect for the past year.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:50 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2015
Alabama

We don't have a Target very close by and I didn't get to visit one until about ten years ago. I remember being in awe by the size of their home video selection, but rarely got to visit it.
Since then I've grown to be able to drive to wherever I want - and missed out. FYE closed, Best Buy closed, and 2015 was the last year I saw a decent selection at Target. The only releases I've picked up at a Target in the last two years were Stranger Things.

Walmart is still a odd case. Sometimes they shrink their media sections and sometimes they expand it. Last year they got very collector-friendly with gift sets and Steelbooks and now most have taken them and the 4K section away. I'm still one of those foolish people who enjoys buying movies from a shelf.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:24 PM   #7
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by starsteam View Post
We don't have a Target very close by and I didn't get to visit one until about ten years ago. I remember being in awe by the size of their home video selection, but rarely got to visit it.
Since then I've grown to be able to drive to wherever I want - and missed out. FYE closed, Best Buy closed, and 2015 was the last year I saw a decent selection at Target. The only releases I've picked up at a Target in the last two years were Stranger Things.

Walmart is still a odd case. Sometimes they shrink their media sections and sometimes they expand it. Last year they got very collector-friendly with gift sets and Steelbooks and now most have taken them and the 4K section away. I'm still one of those foolish people who enjoys buying movies from a shelf.
We still have a pretty large FYE, but they seem mostly focused on pop-culture novelties like toys and clothes. Movie prices were always way too high for me. Nothing around here compared to Media Play. Before the internet began to monopolize media sales during the dvd era, due to then lower prices and a bigger selection, Media Play was the place to go. It was like a Wal-mart sized store devoted to movies, games, and music.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (02-01-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 09:30 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Similar to how it looks here as well. Hadn't been in a few months and was surprised how little space was left for movies.
Old 02-01-2020, 12:56 AM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2012

I have two Targets in my area, and one of them has also looked like this for a while...Fewer movies, but more books and vinyl in the aisles/endcaps.

The other store near me still has multiple aisles of movies, but they are shorter aisles, and the new releases/4Ks are no longer on endcaps but smaller, four-sided displays (about waist-high). Like little islands that make you weave in-and-out to find what you want. I wish I had thought to take a pic on my recent visit.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:02 PM   #10
Banned

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicBD View Post
We still have a pretty large FYE, but they seem mostly focused on pop-culture novelties like toys and clothes. Movie prices were always way too high for me. Nothing around here compared to Media Play. Before the internet began to monopolize media sales during the dvd era, due to then lower prices and a bigger selection, Media Play was the place to go. It was like a Wal-mart sized store devoted to movies, games, and music.
I miss Media Play so much. There will never be another store like it. It was heaven on earth back in the early to mid 2000s.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:50 PM   #11
Banned

May 2019

What I don't get about Target is their love for DVD's. I never buy a DVD unless the BD is region locked or out of print, which means almost never. There were a mother and son looking for a new Disney title and the DVD and BD were the same price, yet they picked the DVD. Why? It makes no sense.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:55 AM   #12
Banned

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by boringperson View Post
What I don't get about Target is their love for DVD's. I never buy a DVD unless the BD is region locked or out of print, which means almost never. There were a mother and son looking for a new Disney title and the DVD and BD were the same price, yet they picked the DVD. Why? It makes no sense.
You could say the same thing about Walmart, they're no better. Don't forget that DVD still sells better than Blu-ray too.

Most parents don't understand or care about the difference between 480p and 1080p, it doesn't matter to them. The kid doesn't care about HD quality so neither do they.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:15 PM   #13
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
You could say the same thing about Walmart, they're no better. Don't forget that DVD still sells better than Blu-ray too.

Most parents don't understand or care about the difference between 480p and 1080p, it doesn't matter to them. The kid doesn't care about HD quality so neither do they.
Not according to most figures I've seen. It depends on the title or genre. For action movies, BD started outselling DVD many years ago. Even BB, Walmart, and Target around here stock a lot more Blu-ray than DVD for most new films. Why Target will only carry the DVD version for more seemingly obscure ones, I've never bothered to try to understand, since BB and Walmart do.

You've also got to consider that the majority media buyer in stores, is not representative of the majority media buyer. Most collectors switched to buying most of their movies online during the dvd era, due to better prices and a much bigger selection than what big box chains could allocate shelving for. So, Target or BB downsizing their media dept 70% shouldn't be misinterpreted that media sales have fallen accordingly. New releases and special promotions have been the primary media seller in stores for many years. Because internet sells have started having an impact in so many other areas too, stores have been forced to finally make changes accordingly.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:00 PM   #14
Special Member

Jan 2013

DVDs still outsell Blu rays... yeah certain action films outsell dvds on blu but because they skew male and men tend to keep up with things like blu ray and UHD. Overall sales of all media keeps shrinking each year.

Targets and Best Buys have been doing a lot of the shrinking RECENTLY well after your comment about the dvd era. Digital is the driving force of the shrinkage, you can hate digital all you want, but its pushing physical media into a more niche market.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:51 PM   #15
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman73 View Post
DVDs still outsell Blu rays... yeah certain action films outsell dvds on blu but because they skew male and men tend to keep up with things like blu ray and UHD. Overall sales of all media keeps shrinking each year.

Targets and Best Buys have been doing a lot of the shrinking RECENTLY well after your comment about the dvd era. Digital is the driving force of the shrinkage, you can hate digital all you want, but its pushing physical media into a more niche market.
You apparently did not understand what I said, if you think that's in any way contradictory. I guess it's my fault. I should change my avatar. People must see it and expect more of the same shallow format bias some others here are spouting, who are just as ignorant of what's going on as those who've been drinking the digital Kool-Aid.

Digital has NEVER been any kind of "driving force". Digital is what's being driven. Its genesis was nothing like that of DVD. DVD was driven by the electronics industry and consumer demand. It was reluctantly supported by much of the content industry early on, an industry that has always been overwhelming in favor of a PPV business model, the model that they are returning, "driving" the market back to, via digital distribution. That's just basic common sense for anyone who has ever closely followed this industry, much less reported on it, as I have. The avatar I use doesn't mean I arbitrarily "hate" digital distribution, nor should it be assumed that I think less of those who naively (trustingly) support/endorse it, in light of the utter failure of modern journalism, which is more interested in telling their readers what they think they want to hear, and reporting the news as they're paid to report it, rather than do any serious investigating on their own for such novel segments as pop-culture.

Even well known bloggers who know enough to call it like it is, won't. They probably think can't do anything about it, considering the size and influence of the industry they'd be angering. And biting the hand that feeds them would be just as detrimental to their future well-being as it was sabotaging for Blockbuster Video when they did the same.

Don't take my word for it. There are decades of legal precedence irrefutably proving just that, from a time when studio execs were still being very vocal about how little they think of the notion of legal consumer ownership of their properties. Fortunately the courts have always been on the side of the consumer. Digital distribution is the only way to effectively negate that.

DVD proved far too profitable for Hollywood to pass on. All of the initial holdouts eventually piled on. After all, direct distribution wouldn't be feasible for a long time yet. But make no mistake that digital stems purely from the monetary goals of content owners, not consumer demand, nor even the content providers that have benefited from it. Corporate Hollywood is and always has been THE "driving force" behind physical waning. Some in the industry have even labeled it sabotage. Anyone who doesn't get that, can't possibly understand the very motivations that digital spawned from, much less those that are "driving" the format even now.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:11 AM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
USA

I posted this elsewhere when I saw it happen at my store. My Target used to have two rows of movies, not counting the endcaps and islands, so four sides of movies. Now it's down to two sides.

I've noticed they also like to carry DVD-only for some titles that are also available in Blu-ray. But with the downsizing, they probably don't even carry those anymore.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:02 PM   #17
Special Member

Nov 2010
Houston, Texas

That picture is how my Target has looked for a while now.

The physical media section at my Target shrinks a little more every year.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:10 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin44 View Post
That picture is how my Target has looked for a while now.

The physical media section at my Target shrinks a little more every year.
but yet the Christmas stuff gets 6 aisles to itself and 50% of it doesn't sell.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:45 PM   #19
Special Member

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicBD View Post
You apparently did not understand what I said, if you think that's in any way contradictory. I guess it's my fault. I should change my avatar. People must see it and expect more of the same shallow format bias some others here are spouting, who are just as ignorant of what's going on as those who've been drinking the digital Kool-Aid.

Digital has NEVER been any kind of "driving force". Digital is what's being driven. Its genesis was nothing like that of DVD. DVD was driven by the electronics industry and consumer demand. It was reluctantly supported by much of the content industry early on, an industry that has always been overwhelming in favor of a PPV business model, the model that they are returning, "driving" the market back to, via digital distribution. That's just basic common sense for anyone who has ever closely followed this industry, much less reported on it, as I have. The avatar I use doesn't mean I arbitrarily "hate" digital distribution, nor should it be assumed that I think less of those who naively (trustingly) support/endorse it, in light of the utter failure of modern journalism, which is more interested in telling their readers what they think they want to hear, and reporting the news as they're paid to report it, rather than do any serious investigating on their own for such novel segments as pop-culture.

Even well known bloggers who know enough to call it like it is, won't. They probably think can't do anything about it, considering the size and influence of the industry they'd be angering. And biting the hand that feeds them would be just as detrimental to their future well-being as it was sabotaging for Blockbuster Video when they did the same.

Don't take my word for it. There are decades of legal precedence irrefutably proving just that, from a time when studio execs were still being very vocal about how little they think of the notion of legal consumer ownership of their properties. Fortunately the courts have always been on the side of the consumer. Digital distribution is the only way to effectively negate that.

DVD proved far too profitable for Hollywood to pass on. All of the initial holdouts eventually piled on. After all, direct distribution wouldn't be feasible for a long time yet. But make no mistake that digital stems purely from the monetary goals of content owners, not consumer demand, nor even the content providers that have benefited from it. Corporate Hollywood is and always has been THE "driving force" behind physical waning. Some in the industry have even labeled it sabotage. Anyone who doesn't get that, can't possibly understand the very motivations that digital spawned from, much less those that are "driving" the format even now.
As someone who actually does like and overall prefers physical (see collection count thank you) if you were ask most young people to come over and watch a movie, the first thing they think of is some sort of streaming/digital service, many see physical media as an outdated experience (even though it is superior to streaming). There has also been (Not from Hollywood) a movement for people to simplify and declutter, and those who used to buy dvds by the armload have gotten rid of their collections, my mother tried pawning hers on me, I didnt want any of it. People are simplifiying and getting rid of needless clutter. I am trying to reduce my collection too to an extent, just takes up too much room as is.

Blockbuster video did numerous things wrong by their business model, biggest of which was getting into horrible lease arrangements which backfired on them once business slowed. Their business model called for them to get the prime real estate, which cost money. Amazingly a business like Family video survived this by buying all their properties, paid them off through use of rentals. Rentals slow, they sublet to other businesses, sell pizzas, etc. That doesnt work they start selling off locations.

Netflix has been one of the biggest drivers of the digital push as well, and as seen by the numerous other streaming services popping up, I cant say they are totally beloved by Hollywood who many are now in competition with them

Last edited by zman73; 02-10-2020 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 11:33 PM   #20
Expert Member

Feb 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
I miss Media Play so much. There will never be another store like it. It was heaven on earth back in the early to mid 2000s.
Bull Moose in New England has several stores that are very reminiscent of Media Play. Music, movies, books, toys. Not all stores, tho. not yet. Tho, nowhere near the length and breadth of Media Play.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping