Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
A Serious Man (Blu-ray)
€9.95

Dragon Ball Super: Broly (Blu-ray)
€25.16
5 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Blu-ray)
€9.95

Lina Morgan (Blu-ray)
€23.97

The Angry Birds Movie 2 (Blu-ray)
€11.99

Mask (Blu-ray)
€9.95

Rambo Trilogy (Blu-ray)
€14.99

Her (Blu-ray)
€9.95

Toy Story 4 (Blu-ray)
€12.95

Sara Montiel (Blu-ray)
€29.66

Gladiator (Blu-ray)
€9.95

Parįsitos (Blu-ray)
€15.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Spanish

Old 06-14-2013, 11:58 AM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

On closer inspection, Memoirs has not been cropped, but rathered opened up to 1.78:1...the vertical information is precisely the same on the 1.33 DVD and the 1.78 BD, but with the BD showing considerably more information on either side. Still not sure about the new framing, as I believe the series always aired at 1.33, but I'm not as gutted as I was when I thought they'd cropped it.

The one real disappointment, then, is the presentation of The Three Gables. Not only is it in a completely bizarre aspect ratio (looking something like 1.60:1 or thereabouts), it's a very obvious SD video upscale, rather than being mastered from the original film elements.

Last edited by Oblivion138; 06-14-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #42

Mar 2008

Hi I was wondering if memoirs is a good upgrade from the restored DVD version. Mine is supposed to be in today and am worried now.

Thanks,
Armand
Old 06-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by armand77 View Post
Hi I was wondering if memoirs is a good upgrade from the restored DVD version. Mine is supposed to be in today and am worried now.

Thanks,
Armand
Overall, yes. The Three Gables, not so much. It's an upscale, and not a great one, at that. Though I'd say it's probably still about equal in quality to the remastered DVD presentation. The other episodes look much nicer, however, and the extra space on the sides actually makes for better compositions.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #44
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Pause View Post
Thanks a lot Indiana Jones for your kind help!

I tried again after I wrote for help last night & I tried navigating like you said in your reply today. It was laid out just like Amazon.com! So I guess I figured it out before I needed help, last night.

However I learned something new from you by using Google Chrome for translation, much appreciated!!!

It came out to Eur 17.27($23.00) is that high? The shipping is what cost the most(how long do you think it will take to ship from Spain to US)! If I like this series, would the cost factor be worth it for me to get the other 4 series, is it any cheaper, that you know, anywhere else(it seems Amazon.es will be the cheapest )?

Also in the bd itself will I have to go to the English audio every time, does the bd menu help you out w/this(is the default Spanish)? Thanks again
Which did you buy? as the first few releases are very cheap and if you have never seen the series before you really want to start at the beginning.

For future reference the shipping charge is the same for 1 item as it is for several which was why I ordered them all at once and yes it defaults to Spanish on startup but very simple to set it to English through the menu or by simply pressing the audio select button on your remote once the first episode stops and it will then remain in English for all episodes on that disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
On closer inspection, Memoirs has not been cropped, but rathered opened up to 1.78:1...the vertical information is precisely the same on the 1.33 DVD and the 1.78 BD, but with the BD showing considerably more information on either side. Still not sure about the new framing, as I believe the series always aired at 1.33, but I'm not as gutted as I was when I thought they'd cropped it.
I remember reading that 'Memoirs' was shot in a different aspect ratio than the previous episodes and when aired on ITV3HD was shown in 14:9, I assume for the BDs they just opened it up a bit more.

Last edited by Indiana Jones; 06-15-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jones View Post
Which did you buy? as the first few releases are very cheap and if you have never seen the series before you really want to start at the beginning.

For future reference the shipping charge is the same for 1 item as it is for several which was why I ordered them all at once and yes it defaults to Spanish on startup but very simple to set it to English through the menu or by simply pressing the audio select button on your remote once the first episode stops and it will then remain in English for all episodes on that disc.

I remember reading that 'Memoirs' was shot in a different aspect ratio than the previous episodes and when aired on ITV3HD was shown in 14:9, I assume for the BDs they just opened it up a bit more.
I ordered The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes(Amazon.es) on James78's recommendation & they est. I will get it on 6/24/13!

Also ordered Sherlock S1&S2 from Amazon.uk, it is estimated 6/22/13(I've seen recomm. that this is a great series also!!).

Last edited by hagios; 06-21-2013 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #46
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Quote:
I ordered The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes(Amazon.es) on James78's recommendation & they est. I will get it on 6/24/13!

Also ordered Sherlock S1&S2 from Amazon.uk, it is estimated 6/22/13(I've seen recomm. that this is a great series also!!).
Ah that is the correct release to start with, the price threw me as shipping was only €7 for my 5 item order, guess shipping to the US is even more expensive.

As to the Amazon.co.uk Sherlock order I hope you realise they are 1080i/50hz so won't work on the majority of US Blu-ray players.

Last edited by Indiana Jones; 06-15-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
Smile

Quote:
Ah that is the correct release to start with, the price threw me as shipping was only €7 for my 5 item order, guess shipping to the US is even more expensive.

As to the Amazon.co.uk Sherlock order I hope you realise they are 1080i/50hz so won't work on the majority of US Blu-ray players.
Yes on the Sherlock, I've got a region-free bd player w/it! BTW are you guys in the UK 6hrs. ahead or 6hrs. behind us in the US(I heard you were 6hrs. ahead)?(it is 12:45 PM here now).

On a different note, I'm into Nordic noir & British crime drama/mystery!

I've got The Bridge, The Killing, A Touch of Frost, Prime Suspect, Blue Murder, DCI:Banks, both Wallander's, Single-Handed, George Gently series5(BTW I won this series here on this great forum-Blu-ray.com , yeah!), Rosemary & Thymes. All very . I want to get Hetty Wainthropp(to pricey right now for me) & several others!!

You seem like a really great person & just wanted to know if you were into these type of genres(if you are do you have any other great recommendations, other then the ones I have)? Maybe we can PM each other! If so, maybe we could start a thread w/ this genre(I luv westerns & horror a lot too)! Good or not?

Last edited by hagios; 06-15-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #48
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

6 hours ahead here.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #49

May 2011
England

Quote:
On a different note, I'm into British crime drama/mystery.
I would recommend:

Ripper Street: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rippe...Blu-ray/60443/

Miss Marple: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Agath...Blu-ray/60213/

Poirot: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Poiro...Blu-ray/32957/

The Bletchley Circle: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-B...Blu-ray/65785/

Foyle's War: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Foyle...Blu-ray/21337/

The Fall: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Fall-Blu-ray/65736/

Ghost Stories for Christmas: https://www.blu-ray.com/dvd/BBC-Ghos...Set-DVD/35669/

Last edited by James78; 06-15-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #50
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
Smile

Thanks James78,

I have The Bletchley Circle(luv it!) Mr. Selfridge, Call The Midwife S1(waiting for S2 to come down in price, will get!), did not care for Poirot though, Want to check out Ripper St., Miss Marple, Foyles War, Ghost Stories for Christmas, but have not heard of The Fall(what's it about)out of your list!

Last edited by hagios; 06-15-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #51

May 2011
England

The Fall is about a detective (Gillian Anderson) trying to catch a serial killer. It is fantastic! Here's the trailer:

Old 06-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by James78 View Post
The Fall is about a detective (Gillian Anderson) trying to catch a serial killer. It is fantastic! Here's the trailer:

The Fall: Launch Trailer - Original British Drama - BBC Two - YouTube
Ah, yes! I have seen trailers & read upon it. You are right another must have!!

Thanks for that trailer, I enjoyed watching it!!!
I see it is up on amazon.uk pre-order(6/17/13) for £16.75, is that a good price or will it come down any(I'll wait till it does).

Last edited by hagios; 06-15-2013 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:02 AM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
I'd not read that, but it makes sense. The compositions definitely seem more organic on the BD presentation than the DVD, where I've noticed in comparing that faces frequently get cut off at the sides.

It also makes sense for the transfer of Three Gables, which appears to be in something like a 14:9 aspect ratio...though I still, for the life of me, cannot understand why that episode is an upscale, when every other episode has obviously been sourced from the original film elements.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #54

May 2011
England

Something similar happened to one of the early Poirot episodes. Maybe ITV Studios lost/damaged the negative or it was an oversight on their part. At least it makes the other episodes look better by comparison!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

I'd thought of that, but it seems really odd that they would still have the original elements for 41 episodes, dating all the way back to 1984, but not one of the newest ones.
Old 06-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #56

May 2011
England

Why? It seems more likely for ITV to lose/damage one negative than forty.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by James78 View Post
Why? It seems more likely for ITV to lose/damage one negative than forty.
Who said anything about losing 40 negatives? If they'd lost the negative for The Solitary Cyclist, I would not be as surprised as I would be if they've lost The Three Gables. That's what I'm saying.

What seems unlikely to me is that they could hang on to the film elements for all 13 episodes of The Adventures for almost 30 years, but couldn't manage to do so for a mere six episodes shot ten years later. I would imagine that if ITV were going to mislay any film elements, it would be for the older episodes. Not only would they have had more time to let those older episodes go by the wayside, but by 1994, the series was already acknowledged as a beloved classic. You'd think they'd be taking better care of the film at that point than they necessarily were in 1984, when no one was quite sure how the series would fare.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #58
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

There is no way to know unless they come out and state what happened but clearly something was a miss with the film elements for that episode, they could have been damaged/lost at any point in the last 20 years, hopefully one day it will be found and remastered but if not at least the rest of the series is intact.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #59
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England

Spotted that set listed on Amazon.fr last week, wonder how it will compare to the French and Japanese sets? as it has an extra disc so the episodes should be able to breath a bit better than the Spanish releases, the quality of the episodes on the first disc of 'Adventures' is pretty mixed, I have never before come across a disc with over 6 and a half hours on it and I can't help but wonder if they had made it a 3 disc set and put 4/5 on each the overall quality would have been improved.

I started 'The Case-books of Sherlock Holmes' last night and those have just 3 episodes per disc and immediately I noticed how much better the picture was compared to 'Adventures' but I guess the different could be put down to any number of factors aside the bitrate such as improvements with encoding/remastering or even changes in the shooting style.

Last edited by Indiana Jones; 06-16-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:07 AM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

I think all the sets are a mixed bag, from a PQ perspective...most of which seems to come down to the fact that some of the episodes are rather heavily DNR'ed, while others appear less filtered and therefore more pleasing.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Spanish