Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$36.64
6 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$41.99
1 hr ago
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
22 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Molly's Game (Blu-ray)
$5.00
17 hrs ago
Enemy Gold (Blu-ray)
$11.99
1 hr ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Dallas Connection (Blu-ray)
$11.99
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Scandinavia

Old 10-08-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Denmark The Keeper of Lost Causes & The Absent One

Has anyone seen these two films & enjoyed them!

I'm thinking about getting The Keeper of Lost Causes

& The Absent One when it becomes available!

Also has anyone read the books by Jussi Adler-Olsen...also getting these two books!!

The Keeper of Lost Causes

Quote:
[Show spoiler]Following a shootout that left his two partners respectively dead and paralyzed, chief detective Carl Mørck is assigned to the newly established Department Q, a department for old, terminated cases. The department consists only of himself and his new assistant Assad. Although they get explicit orders to only read and sort through the cases, only a single day passes before Carls stubborn nature throws them headfirst into the mystery of Merete Lynggaards disappearance; a well-known female politician who vanished five years ago from a passenger ferry. The only witness is her brain-damaged brother who was found on the car deck, screaming at the top of his lungs. The case was put to rest as an apparent suicide. Unconvinced by this explanation Carl and Assad venture on a journey that will take them deep into the undercurrent of abuse and malice that lurks beneath the polished surface of Scandinavia.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2438644/...f_=ttpl_pl_syn

http://thekeeperoflostcausesthemovie.com/

The Absent One

Quote:
[Show spoiler]

THE ABSENT ONE

In 1994 two young twins are found brutally murdered in a summer cottage. A number of clues point in the direction of a group of young upper class students from a nearby boarding school, but the case is closed as a local outsider pleads guilty and is convicted for the murders. When the case ends up on Carls Mørck’s desk 20 years later, he soon realises that something is terribly wrong. As Carl and Assad start investigating the case, they are led on to an old emergency call from a desperate girl who seems to know the secrets of the murders. Soon they are plunged into an intense search for the girl, Kimmie, who has been missing since the murders happened. But Carl and Assad are not the only ones trying to track her down as the girl’s testimonial is of great danger to a group of influential men at the top of society who will do all they can to keep her silent.

http://www.trustnordisk.com/film/2014-absent-one

Old 10-08-2014, 07:17 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014

I watched this a whole ago. It's pretty good but the crime genre is so oversaturated by this point that even genuinely great stories like this still feel ultimately tired, and generic. Everything this film tries, just feels like standard fare, because there is literally no other kind of fare for this genre any more.

It functions basically like a pilot episode to a TV show that doesn't exist. It stands on its own okay, to be fair, but the films hope for a sequel permeates through everything and it clearly holds back things that it hopes to reveal in sequels I have no idea are coming or not. TV shows are allowed to do these kinds of things, because they're designed to be watched over several episodes. There is no excuse for a film to feel incomplete.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

My folks and my sister caught the latest one at the movies two days ago. They all liked it. I have the first one on Blu-ray and quite liked it. I'm in for four or five more
Old 11-12-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
Lightbulb Sundance Selects Acquires Trio Of Hot Danish ‘Department Q’ Thrillers

Quote:

by Nancy Tartaglione
November 11, 2014 2:19am

With this Sundance Selects acquisition, North American moviegoers are poised to fully discover a series of films that has been thrilling audiences in Denmark over the past year. The distributor has picked up rights to hot Danish titles The Keeper Of Lost Causes and The Absent One, as well as the forthcoming A Conspiracy Of Faith. The films are all adaptations of the bestselling Department Q series of novels written by Jussi Adler-Olsen. The first two, directed by Mikkel Norgaard, have both been huge hits at the Danish box office. The Keeper Of Lost Causes sold more tickets than any other movie in the market in 2013 with 725K admissions and about $11M in receipts. Last month, The Absent One was released in local cinemas and shot to the top of the year’s chart with over $10M off 700K admissions. A Conspiracy Of Faith, which is currently in pre-production, is directed by A Royal Affair‘s Nikolaj Arcel who has also penned the adaptations of all of the Department Q movies.

The Zentropa-produced thrillers focus on chief detective Carl Mørck who’s banished to a basement office to run a cold case division. Nikolaj Lie Kaas (A Second Chance) and Fares Fares (Child 44, Zero Dark Thirty) star.

“Jussi Adler-Olsen’s thrilling Q Novels are a perfect fit for big screen adaptation,” says Jonathan Sehring, President of Sundance Selects/IFC Films. “We are thrilled to be bringing this successful Danish trilogy to American audiences.

“We are very excited that our friends from Sundance Selects have picked up these three thrillers. With their great skills on theatrical releases and successful VOD-strategies, we feel confident that the films will reach a substantial audience in North America”, says TrustNordisk CEO Rikke Ennis.

Each of the films is produced by Louise Vesth, Jonas Bagger and Peter Ålbæk for the Zentropa Group in cooperation with TV 2 Danmark, ZDF German Television Network, ZDF Enterprises, TV4 Sverige, TV 2 Norge in co-production with Film i Väst. Nordisk Film handles distribution in the Nordic territories and TrustNordisk has international sale

http://deadline.com/2014/11/sundance...es-1201281183/
Old 11-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

It appears now that there will be a DVD only release of The Keeper of Lost Causes in the UK in late December (previously it was going to be a DVD and Blu-ray release).
Old 11-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanBlue View Post
It appears now that there will be a DVD only release of The Keeper of Lost Causes in the UK in late December (previously it was going to be a DVD and Blu-ray release).
The Danish BD has English subtitles and is very cheap now, under £10. Don't think these are advertised on the back sleeve though.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:55 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcy30 View Post
The Danish BD has English subtitles and is very cheap now, under £10. Don't think these are advertised on the back sleeve though.
Was this £10 price for the Danish Blu-ray of The Keeper of Lost Causes on Amazon UK, eBay UK or another DVD/Blu-ray shopping website?
Old 12-05-2014, 12:11 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
-
-

Quote:
Was this £10 price for the Danish Blu-ray of The Keeper of Lost Causes on Amazon UK, eBay UK or another DVD/Blu-ray shopping website?
I bought in Denmark as regularly here for work. In fact typing this sitting in our office in Copehagen. I paid DKK69 for it locally which is around £7.50

The main Danish disk reseller on Amazon.co.uk marketplace Vida pulled out some time ago. Buying online from Denmark will probably cost you around £12. If you search the UK subforum there is a thread on Scandinavian websites which ship to UK which I have posted to.
Thanks given by:
Naiera (12-06-2014)
Old 01-20-2015, 01:42 AM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

The Absent One is also very good. Got my copy a few days early. This one has English subs on the Danish release.
Thanks given by:
hdgfs (01-25-2015), malcy30 (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
The Absent One is also very good. Got my copy a few days early. This one has English subs on the Danish release.
Thanks for confirming will pick up this week as in Copenhagen That's my weekend viewing sorted. Just need to leave the office early to head into the centre to buy. Pity TP Marked closed down as they had a store a few minutes from the office. Must have spend a fortune there over the years. Obviously not enough locals did the same.
Thanks given by:
Naiera (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 02:43 PM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

I f*cking loved TP Music! They FINALLY came to Aarhus ten or so years ago, after being exclusively in Zealand for decades.

They're all gone now, as there seems to be absolutely no money in selling music on compact discs offline. Selling movies and (just before they went under for good) videogames apparently didn't help keep them afloat.

Outside of Copenhagen there is Stereo Studio, but I've heard that they're ready to shut down at least half their stores. Selling books and now "streetwear" obviously hasn't helped them.

The large store chain Bilka has The Absent One for DKK129, but that might only be for today. They're doing like Elgiganten and putting new releases up for sale to lure people in. My mum grabbed both Section Q movies today so I can ship them to my homie in Delaware.
Thanks given by:
malcy30 (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 06:08 PM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
I f*cking loved TP Music! They FINALLY came to Aarhus ten or so years ago, after being exclusively in Zealand for decades.

They're all gone now, as there seems to be absolutely no money in selling music on compact discs offline. Selling movies and (just before they went under for good) videogames apparently didn't help keep them afloat.

Outside of Copenhagen there is Stereo Studio, but I've heard that they're ready to shut down at least half their stores. Selling books and now "streetwear" obviously hasn't helped them.

The large store chain Bilka has The Absent One for DKK129, but that might only be for today. They're doing like Elgiganten and putting new releases up for sale to lure people in. My mum grabbed both Section Q movies today so I can ship them to my homie in Delaware.
Thanks for the tip. Picked up from Bilka in Fields tonight, along with Walking Among the Tombstones. That was DKK100 and they only charged me DKK109 for The Absent One as gave me another DKK20 discount for some reason. Result I got Keeper of Lost Causes on BD for DKK79 last year so not too bad. Did not see any in Bilka for their quoted DKK49.

Worth getting these as the UK releases will only be DVD as 4DVD who have rights pulled the planned BD of Keeper of Lost Causes.

Used to love browsing the TP on Gammel Kongejev by the office. Very old fashion store with CDs and DVDs that had been there years. Obviously why theyi finally closed. I believe that was the original store which had traded for over 30 years before closing last year. Laserdisken is similar, great to browse, but they sell overpriced UK and US imports along with the Danish releases but much more expensive than anywhere else. They do though a very efficient mail order service which ships overseas so okay for discounted titles where prices are okay and I get a few titles in each order as its a flat fee.
Thanks given by:
Naiera (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2012
Denmark

Old 01-25-2015, 05:38 AM   #14
Expert Member

Jun 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Looking forward to watching The Absent One, thought The Keeper Of Lost Causes was very well acted. Just spent Christmas in Copenhagen visiting my wife's family and found the Fona on Strøget-Østergade had the biggest range-awesome actually, picked up a lot of titles not available in Australia and they were very reasonably priced. Nearly every Fona I went into had different pricing from the last one.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:15 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

Have noticed on Amazon UK listing pages for the Danish Blu-ray releases of The Keeper of Lost Causes and The Absent One. The latter is expensive at the moment, but the former has a lower price at the moment.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:54 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
-
-

Quote:
Have noticed on Amazon UK listing pages for the Danish Blu-ray releases of The Keeper of Lost Causes and The Absent One. The latter is expensive at the moment, but the former has a lower price at the moment.
As we posted earlier in the thread The Absent One has only been out a couple of months in Denmark so still full price at around DKK179 so £17 before you pay the premium that most resellers of Scandinavian imports on Amazon.co.uk marketplace charge. There were very good week 1 deals on the title in Denmark but the resellers never passed those on, listed the title then.

Keeper of the Lost Causes has been out for getting on for 2 years now in Denmark as took ages to be released in UK, so in the £5 bargain bins there hence its low import price.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:57 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
Lightbulb

Hans Petter Moland to replace Nikolaj Arcel on next 'Department Q'

Quote:
23 March, 2015 | By Jorn Rossing Jensen

Norwegian director takes the reins on A Conspiracy of Faith.

Veteran director Hans Petter Moland is take over Denmark’s third Department Q thriller, A Conspiracy of Faith (Flaskepost fra P), from Danish director Nikolaj Arcel.

Arcel, best known for directing A Royal Affair, wrote three scripts based on Jussi Adler Olsen’s Department Q novels.

The first two - The Keeper of Lost Causes (Kvinden i buret) and The Absent One (Fasandræberne) - were directed by Mikkel Nørgaard and proved major hits in Denmark in 2013 and 2014.

But although Arcel was due to step in to make the third part in Zentropa Entertainment’s franchise, Moland has taken his plance. Arcel has recently been working on numerous projects in the US.

Danish producer and Zentropa ceo Peter Aalbæk Jensen told ScreenDaily: “He [Arcel] will still be busy in the States, when we start filming in May.”

Speaking of Moland, Jensen added: “I had seen his latest feature, In Order of Disappearance (Kraftidioten), and was very impressed by his direction, so we decided to sign him not only for A Conspiracy of Faith, but also for The Long Ships (Röde Orm), the Viking epic we will stage in 2016.”

Moland is known for his films starring Stellan Skarsgard such as Aberdeen (2000), A Somewhat Gentle Man (2010) and most recently In Order Of Disappearance (2014).

The Danish Film Institute has chipped in $1.1 million and Eurimages $425,000 for A Conspiracy of Faith.

The thriller will star Danish actor Nikolaj Lie Kaas return as Carl Mørck, an investigator at Copenhagen Police’s Department Q for “cases of special focus”.

The cast also includes Fares Fares, Johanne Louise Schmidt and Søren Pilmark.

In A Conspiracy of Faith, Mørck receives a message in a bottle, long forgotten at a police station in the far corner of Scotland: the first word ‘Help’ is in Danish and written in blood.

It came from two young brothers, hold prisoners in a boathouse by the sea. Who are they, why were they never reported missing, and could they still be alive?

Denmark’s TrustNordisk has already sold the first three films in the Department Q series to Sundance Selects for US distribution.

The Keeper of Lost Causes will launch the new digital distribution operation of France’s Wild Bunch on March 27, covering 80% of the country’s households.

From Arcel’s script, A Conspiracy of Faith will be produced by Louise Vesth, Jonas Bagger and Peter Aalbæk Jensen, for Zentropa Entertainments.

Covering Scandinavia, Nordisk Film Distribution has scheduled the domestic release for late 2015.

TrustNordisk handles international sales.

As previously announced, Moland’s next for Zentropa is The Long Ships, adapted from Swedish author Frans G Bengtsson’s 1943-1945 novels about the Viking called Red, named after his hair and temper.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/mola...e?referrer=RSS
Wild Bunch, Vertigo take new Department Q film

Quote:
5 May, 2015 | By Michael Rosser

A Conspiracy of Faith shoot begins today and follows Danish box office hits The Keeper of Lost Causes and The Absent One.

French distributor Wild Bunch and Spain’s Vertigo have picked up rights to the Department Q crime thrillers The Keeper of Lost Causes and The Absent One as well new instalment A Conspiracy of Faith, which begins shooting today (May 5).

Shooting on A Conspiracy of Faith will continue over the next eight weeks on location in Denmark and Germany.

The dark crime thriller, based on the book by Jussi Adler-Olsen, has already been sold by TrustNordisk to more than 15 countries including North America (IFC Films), Benelux (Lumiere), Turkey (Medyavizyon), Poland (Kino Swiat) and Russia (Silverbox).

The two previous films in the series, The Keeper of Lost Causes and The Absent One, were released in 2013 and 2014 respectively and have become the biggest local box office hits in Danish history.

In the third film, A Conspiracy of Faith, actors Nikolaj Lie Kaas and Fares Fares will be joined by Norwegian actors Jakob Oftebro (Kon-Tiki) and Pål Sverre Hagen (Kon-Tiki).

As previously announced, it will be directed by Hans Petter Moland - who takes over from Mikkel Nørgaard, who directed the first two instaments - from a screenplay by Nikolaj Arcel. Arcel also wrote the two previous films in the series.

Moland is known for directing Berlinale Competition films The Beautiful Country (2004) as well as A Somewhat Gentle Man (2009) and In Order Of Disappearance (2014).

The film is produced by the Zentropa Group in cooperation with TV 2 Danmark, ZDF German Television Network, ZDF Enterprises, TV4 Sverige, TV 2 Norge in co-production with Film i Väst. With support fromDanish Film Institute / Market Scheme, Eurimages, Deutscher Filmförderfonds,Filmförderung Hamburg Schleswig-Holstein, Norwegian Film Institute and Filmförderungsanstalt. Developed with support from the Media Programme of the European Union.

Nordic distribution is through Nordisk Film with release set for February 2016.

http://www.screendaily.com/news/wild...e?referrer=RSS

Last edited by hagios; 05-10-2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:37 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
Lightbulb

Ordered The Keeper of Lost Causes BD, waiting for The Absent One BD to be lower in $$.

Looking forward to the 3rd in this series to be available A Conspiracy of Faith!

Also ordered the DVD of the Australian series 1 of The Slap!

Old 05-28-2015, 03:54 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
Lightbulb

Hans Petter Moland To Direct The Third ‘Department Q’ Film

Quote:
Emma — March 27, 2015

In May, when Denmark’s Zentropa Entertainments commences principal photography in Germany for A Conspiracy of Faith – the third instalment in the Department Q franchise based on Danish author Jussi Adler-Olsen’s thrillers – veteran Norwegian director Hans Petter Moland will be at the reins.

Originally, Danish director NikolajArcel (King’s Game/2004, A Royal Affair/2012), who has written the screenplays for the first three parts of the series, had been signed up to direct, but he is busy working on numerous projects in the US, so Danish producer and Zentropa CEO Peter Aalbæk Jensen turned to Moland, who most recently made In Order of Disappearance(2014).

Supported by the Danish Film Institute and Eurimages, the €5.1 million A Conspiracy of Faith follows detective superintendent Carl Mørck of Copenhagen Police’s Department Q, specialising in “cases of special focus”; one day he receives a long-forgotten message in a bottle at a police station in the far reaches of Scotland: the first word, “Help”, is in Danish and written in blood.

Mørck (Nikolaj Lie Kaas), his sidekick Assad (Swedish actor Fares Fares) and their assistant Rose (Johanne Louise Schmidt) find out it was sent by two young brothers, held prisoner in a boathouse by the sea. But who are they, why were they never reported missing, and could they still be alive? The head of the police (Søren Pilmark) will make sure they are kept busy.

Directed by Mikkel Nørgaard, the first two films in the series were The Keeper of Lost Causes and The Absent One; the former went to number one in the Danish charts in 2013, with 725,000 admissions, while the latter shot to the top in 2014, selling 768,000 tickets. A Conspiracy of Faith is produced by Louise Vesth, Jonas Bagger and Peter Aalbæk Jensen, for Zentropa Entertainments.

Nordisk Film Distribution will release the title domestically in late 2015. Denmark’sTrustNordisk, which handles international sales, has licensed the first parts of the franchise to Sundance Selects for US distribution, and The Keeper of LostCauses will this week (27 March) launch the new digital distribution platform set up by France’s Wild Bunch, covering 80% of the country’s households.

– Cineuropa

http://www.cinemascandinavia.com/han...rtment-q-film/
Cannes: Wildbunch, Vertigo Join 'A Conspiracy of Faith'

Quote:
The Hollywood Reporter

The Hollywood Reporter
May 4, 2015

French distributor Wildbunch and Spain's Vertigo have become the latest buyers to join A Conspiracy of Faith, the latest film in the hit Danish Department Q crime franchise.

Wildbunch and Vertigo picked up rights in their respective territories for the film, from Norwegian director Hans Petter Moland (A Somewhat Gentle Man), which has just begun shooting. Nikolaj Lie Kaas and Fares Fares, co-stars of the first two Department Q films, will reprise their roles as Danish police detectives in Conspiracy of Faith. Joining the cast for the third feature are Norwegian actors Jakob Oftebro and Pal Sverre-Hagen (Kon-Tiki).

Read MoreThe Keeper of Lost Causes (Kvinden i buret): Locarno Review

IFC Films has picked up North American rights to the crime thriller, and TrustNordisk, which is handling world sales, has closed on more than a dozen other territories, including with Lumiere for Benelux, Kino Swiat for Poland and Silverbox in Russia. Nordisk Film will again handle distribution in Scandinavia, with a release planned for February 2016.

The previous two Department Q films — The Absent One (2014) and The Keeper of Lost Causes (2013) — broke box-office records in Denmark for local-language titles, each grossing more than $10 million in the territory.

Read More'The Keeper of Lost Causes' on Track to Be Denmark’s No. 1 Film of 2013

The films are based on the best-selling novels by writer Jussi Adler-Olsen. Nikolaj Arcel, whose screenplay credits include the original The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and the Oscar-nominated A Royal Affair, adapted the novels for all three of the films in the series.

Twitter: @scottroxborough

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/canne...040008867.html
Old 07-18-2015, 02:08 AM   #20

Jul 2015

I've seen the two films and read all the books. The films are entertaining but totally eviscerate all the humor in the books. For some reason the scriptwriters decided that everything funny in the characters of Assad and Rose had to be expunged from the films. I was so disappointed as these are the best parts of the books. If you're going to watch these films read the books too. It will be a revelation.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Scandinavia