Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99
15 hrs ago
Dodsworth (Blu-ray)
$17.99
59 min ago
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99
21 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Tom & Jerry: Golden Collection, Volume One (Blu-ray)
$21.49
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals

Old 11-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
Banned

Apr 2014
Default Redbox Blu-rays for Sale

Here's a thread for Redbox Blu-rays that are being sold after rental demand has dropped. Let's keep this to "popular" or "big" titles that are still $15 or higher at retailers. YMMV as I've seen both $5.00 and $7.00 price points, depending on where you live.

I think this is a cost-effective route for Disney titles since they usually remain high in price and no longer offer a lot of bonus features.

----------

The Avengers
Big Hero 6
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Chef
Frozen
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man 3
Maleficent
Monsters University
Muppets Most Wanted
Need for Speed
Oz the Great and Powerful
Planes
Planes: Fire and Rescue
Thor: The Dark World

----------

Which discs have Bonus Features?

Yes: Disney, Universal

No: Fox/MGM/DreamWorks Animation, Lionsgate (lossy audio on most titles), Paramount, Sony, Warner

Last edited by jscoggins; 04-27-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Thanks given by:
Bruisermoore (11-05-2014), neverenoughtime (11-03-2015)
Old 11-05-2014, 06:20 PM   #2

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
Here's a thread for Redbox Blu-rays that are being sold after rental demand has dropped. Let's keep this to "popular" or "big" titles that are still $15 or higher at retailers. YMMV as I've seen both $5.00 and $7.00 price points, depending on where you live.

I think this is a cost-effective route for Disney titles since they usually remain high in price and no longer offer a lot of bonus features.

----------

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Frozen
Iron Man 3
while i appreciate the effort, im not sure its worth it. until you can search redbox.com for what is available for purchase, you have to check for yourself anyway. also, it appears that the pricing is dependent on the store the redbox is near. my grocery store, mcdonalds and valero gas station has them for $5, while every 7-11 ive been to is $7, in the same town.

what may be more helpful is a 'saw this for sale at my redbox, who wants it/who found xyz for trade'. however from my experiences, its mostly the same titles, mostly disney.

here is an incomplete list of bluray ive purchased from redbox:

Planes
Muppets Most Wanted
Bolt
The Lone Ranger
Up
Puss and Boots
Wreck it Ralph
Need for Speed
Rage (OK so i didnt buy this one :P)
Delivery Man (or this one!)

Last edited by ifelsethen; 11-05-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Nakatomi Plaza

I didn't know you could purchase them. Is there another button on the screen I'm not seeing?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
Power Member

Aug 2012

How do you purchase blurays? Is there any way to see what is in stock for sale through the redbox website or do you just have to check the kiosks in person?

I never noticed a button to buy stuff, but I probably wasn't looking hard enough.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #5

Jan 2014
Houston

Yeah I have never seen this option either but aren't these just rental copies with none of the extras?
Old 11-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2012
Wherever I am right now.

Yeah, if that particular Redbox you're at has any for sale, there will be a button that says "$7 Used DVDs" or something to that effect. I've seen it a few times here and there in the last 6-8 months or so. It's not a new thing.

Old 11-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
Nakatomi Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruisermoore View Post
Yeah, if that particular Redbox you're at has any for sale, there will be a button that says "$7 Used DVDs" or something to that effect. I've seen it a few times here and there in the last 6-8 months or so. It's not a new thing.

[Show spoiler]
Thank You. I have never seen that button, and I use Redbox quite frequently.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #8

Jul 2011
Chicago, IL

Be careful though that the redbox movies usually have all extra content removed from the disc and you're just getting the movie itself.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2012
Wherever I am right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberAthlete View Post
Be careful though that the redbox movies usually have all extra content removed from the disc and you're just getting the movie itself.
Not to mention no case or art either, obviously. Just a Redbox case, as if you're renting it. This may be a good option for someone that wants to buy right away and doesn't have a Family Video close by, but most of the time, it'll be cheaper to go with ordering from Family Video, plus you'll get artwork and a blu-ray case.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #10
Banned

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifelsethen View Post
while i appreciate the effort, im not sure its worth it. until you can search redbox.com for what is available for purchase, you have to check for yourself anyway. also, it appears that the pricing is dependent on the store the redbox is near. my grocery store, mcdonalds and valero gas station has them for $5, while every 7-11 ive been to is $7, in the same town.

what may be more helpful is a 'saw this for sale at my redbox, who wants it/who found xyz for trade'. however from my experiences, its mostly the same titles, mostly disney.
That's why I wrote:

"Let's keep this to "popular" or "big" titles that are still $15 or higher at retailers."

Old 11-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #11
Banned

Apr 2014

Some menus hide the purchase button. You have to choose the "Rent a Movie" button first, and then there's a small button near the bottom that says "Buy a Movie".

With regards to Bonus Features, we've basically figured out which ones have them or not.

Yes: Disney, Sony

No: Fox/MGM, Lionsgate (lossy audio on most titles), Paramount, Warner
Thanks given by:
Bruisermoore (11-05-2014), SonictheHedgehog1337 (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2011

Quote:
[Show spoiler]
Reminds me of that part in Dodgeball when Vince Vaughn opens the closet full of receipts - "I call em 'keepers!'"
[Show spoiler]

Oops, wrong .gif
Old 11-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #13
Power Member

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscoggins View Post
Some menus hide the purchase button. You have to choose the "Rent a Movie" button first, and then there's a small button near the bottom that says "Buy a Movie".

With regards to Bonus Features, we've basically figured out which ones have them or not.

Yes: Disney, Sony

No: Fox/MGM, Lionsgate (lossy audio on most titles), Paramount, Warner
Thank you. That makes sense. I never clicked "Rent a Movie" because I always just order them online first. I've probably only clicked "Pick Up" on the kiosk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhage01 View Post
Reminds me of that part in Dodgeball when Vince Vaughn opens the closet full of receipts - "I call em 'keepers!'"
[Show spoiler]

Oops, wrong .gif
You motor boating son of a b.

Last edited by SonictheHedgehog1337; 11-05-2014 at 08:35 PM.
Thanks given by:
bkhage01 (11-05-2014)
Old 11-05-2014, 08:35 PM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by James125 View Post
Yeah I have never seen this option either but aren't these just rental copies with none of the extras?
At least 50% of the titles I've rented from my local Redbox have been the actual retail version and not a rental version. That number might even be closer to 75% or so. Guess it all depends on the particular titles a person rents. That being said, if you hadn't rented the given title already you could always check online to see if others have rented it as to whether or not it's the retail or rental version before deciding to purchase it. The rental version naturally would not include any extras and some rental versions might also not include the lossless track though I haven't seen this that often myself aside from the occasional Lionsgate title.

In fact, I just rented Edge of Tomorrow from my local Redbox this morning. It's a rental version. No extras, but it does still include the lossless track thanks to Warner putting this on a BD50. Of course there's still a barrage of trailers and so forth which will play prior to getting to the Main Menu though you aren't forced to watch them as you can access the Main Menu at any time by hitting up the "Top Menu" function of your Blu-ray player. Just for fun I've provided the play-by-play below. Can't wait to watch this tonight!

Warner Intro [00:11]
Trailer - Mad Max: Fury Road [02:38]
Trailer - The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [02:00]
Trailer - Into the Storm [02:35]
Trailer - Godzilla [02:35]
Trailer - Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham [01:17]
Trailer - Batman: Assualt on Arkham [01:38]
Main Menu - Menu options are "Play", "Scene Selections", "Audio" and "Subtitles"

Selecting "Play" from the Main Menu you are forced to view the below warning screens prior to the feature presentation playing. Selecting the first chapter from the Main Menu instead provides for bypassing the warning screens altogether. :-)

FBI Warning [00:08]
Piracy Warning [00:08]
Film Rating (PG-13) [00:06]
Feature Presentation (DTS-HD MA 7.1) [1:53:29]

This disc is BD-J free as well, so even on slower Blu-ray players there will be no loading time to speak of.

Last edited by AmishParadise; 11-05-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #15

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonictheHedgehog1337 View Post
How do you purchase blurays? Is there any way to see what is in stock for sale through the redbox website or do you just have to check the kiosks in person?

I never noticed a button to buy stuff, but I probably wasn't looking hard enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwerk View Post
I didn't know you could purchase them. Is there another button on the screen I'm not seeing?
when available for purchase a blue colored 'buy' button will be shown on the individual movie selection screen (with the synopsis), or you can use one of the grey filter buttons near the bottom, one should say 'For Sale' (it doesnt in this photo, but its an old screenshot):

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6134/5...3acb3ebd61.jpg

Quote:

that is an ancient software version, do you still see that in your area??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberAthlete View Post
thats not really true. like all redbox titles it just depends on the title.
fwiw ever disney movie is the same as the retail release. all content and extra features included (obviously unless the release is split into two discs for content).
Old 11-05-2014, 08:51 PM   #16

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
Warner Intro [00:11]
Trailer - Mad Max: Fury Road [02:38]
Trailer - The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies [02:00]
Trailer - Into the Storm [02:35]
Trailer - Godzilla [02:35]
Trailer - Lego Batman 3: Beyond Gotham [01:17]
Trailer - Batman: Assualt on Arkham [01:38]
Main Menu - Menu options are "Play", "Scene Selections", "Audio" and "Subtitles"

Selecting "Play" from the Main Menu you are forced to view the below warning screens prior to the feature presentation playing. Selecting the first chapter from the Main Menu instead provides for bypassing the warning screens altogether. :-)

FBI Warning [00:08]
Piracy Warning [00:08]
Film Rating (PG-13) [00:06]
Feature Presentation (DTS-HD MA 7.1) [1:53:29]

This disc is BD-J free as well, so even on slower Blu-ray players there will be no loading time to speak of.
custom firmware on panasonic players lets you disable bluray PUO/dvd UOP... worth the money!
Old 11-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifelsethen View Post
custom firmware on panasonic players lets you disable bluray PUO/dvd UOP... worth the money!
I've heard of that. If I'm ever in the market for a stand-alone Blu-ray player I'll certainly go that route.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #18
Banned

Apr 2014

You guys keep trying to reinvent the wheel (i.e. the OP).
Old 11-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014

A word of warning when you buy a used title from Redbox: if it ends up being damaged or has problems, you're out of luck.

I bought a Blu-Ray from there for $2 (I was renting a few titles, so it gave me one of those "It's your lucky day! Buy a used Blu-Ray or DVD for only $2 right now!" screens that come up once in a while. First time I ever saw this one, though. Usually, it was a free game or discounted or free additional movie rental). It had some scratches and would freeze and skip during certain scenes (must have been messed up to do that for a Blu-Ray!). Contacted customer service and the best they could do was give me several free $1.50 rental credits to make up for things. No refund or code to buy another movie.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:20 PM   #20
Banned

Apr 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYH View Post
A word of warning when you buy a used title from Redbox: if it ends up being damaged or has problems, you're out of luck.

I bought a Blu-Ray from there for $2 (I was renting a few titles, so it gave me one of those "It's your lucky day! Buy a used Blu-Ray or DVD for only $2 right now!" screens that come up once in a while. First time I ever saw this one, though. Usually, it was a free game or discounted or free additional movie rental). It had some scratches and would freeze and skip during certain scenes (must have been messed up to do that for a Blu-Ray!). Contacted customer service and the best they could do was give me several free $1.50 rental credits to make up for things. No refund or code to buy another movie.

You got rental credits to cover the cost of purchasing the disc.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals