Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
9 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99
 
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
7 hrs ago
Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge (Blu-ray)
$18.99
 
The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
5 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99
14 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
 
Molly's Game (Blu-ray)
$5.00
1 hr ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$14.99
 
Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio > Computer Audio


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2015, 12:57 AM   #21
BaerGriggs BaerGriggs is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
BaerGriggs's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
Kansas City, MO
36
63
469
23
3
97
Default

f
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
onkyo has one for the iphone, but it simply bitstreams it to an external USB DAC and then there is the issue of all the space DSD files take up so, i'm not sure on a 16gb phone one would want DSD64 that takes up about 2+gb per album.

please confirm how your using the Fii0 X5, i.e., are you playing the music and sending it out via headphone or analog out or are you sending it out via digital coax or are you using it as a USB DAC?

hope things have been well for you buddy, good to see you here thanks for stopping by; don't be a stranger!
I almost exclusively use it for headphone use. I have connected it to a 100W stereo receiver via the coaxial out a couple times and it sounded fantastic, but to be honest I'm not sure I've ever actually used the USB DAC portion. I need to get around to playing around with it a bit more over Christmas break, I've been in a tweaking and modifying kind of mood lately .

And a happy New Year to you too!

Last edited by BaerGriggs; 01-03-2015 at 01:08 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:10 AM   #22
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaerGriggs View Post
f

I almost exclusively use it for headphone use. I have connected it to a 100W stereo receiver via the coaxial out a couple times and it sounded fantastic, but to be honest I'm not sure I've ever actually used the USB DAC portion. I need to get around to playing around with it a bit more over Christmas break, I've been in a tweaking and modifying kind of mood lately .

And a happy New Year to you too!
DSD can't be streamed via digital coax. if you are connecting it to a receiver or external amp, you the analog out labeled "line out" with a cable that's 3/8 x RCA and connect that to your receiver's 2 channel analog input. you will then be listening to pure DSD native to DAC via analog. most likely, what your hearing is 88.2 or 176.4 PCM that's been converted from DSD.

i'm still thinking about getting a Fii0 X5 for my car. we shall talk about that later.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:15 AM   #23
BaerGriggs BaerGriggs is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
BaerGriggs's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
Kansas City, MO
36
63
469
23
3
97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
DSD can't be streamed via digital coax. if you are connecting it to a receiver or external amp, you the analog out labeled "line out" with a cable that's 3/8 x RCA and connect that to your receiver's 2 channel analog input. you will then be listening to pure DSD native to DAC via analog. most likely, what your hearing is 88.2 or 176.4 PCM that's been converted from DSD.

i'm still thinking about getting a Fii0 X5 for my car. we shall talk about that later.
Sorry I meant to say line out, not coaxial. But would it make any difference whether it was digital coaxial or line out for DSD playback based on that quote I posted a couple posts back?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:49 AM   #24
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaerGriggs View Post
Sorry I meant to say line out, not coaxial. But would it make any difference whether it was digital coaxial or line out for DSD playback based on that quote I posted a couple posts back?
yes, the digital coax only supports 192/24 max. one of two things will happen if your trying to stream DSD via digital coax. it will automatically be converted to PCM in the resolutions i mentioned in the prior post or it will not play anything as the resolution of DSD is too high to stream tha tamount of information over digital coax.

the way you had it, you were listening to native DSD to analog via the Fii0 X5's internal DAC.

you could for example (because you asked before) connect a iphone (using the lightining to USB adapter) to the X5 and use the X5 as a USB DAC and stream hi rez audio to include DSD to it.

i think they already have or soon will allow for external HD to be connected to the X5 direct via the USB input. once they do that, you can then have a TB drive connected to it and have all the music you want. of course, you should probably use external power because that drive will suck the life outta the player!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:14 AM   #25
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

i have seen a couple of post state that when using the X5 as a USB DAC you cannot playback DSD natively, it get's converted to PCM. how true that is, i don't know.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #26
BaerGriggs BaerGriggs is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
BaerGriggs's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
Kansas City, MO
36
63
469
23
3
97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
yes, the digital coax only supports 192/24 max. one of two things will happen if your trying to stream DSD via digital coax. it will automatically be converted to PCM in the resolutions i mentioned in the prior post or it will not play anything as the resolution of DSD is too high to stream tha tamount of information over digital coax.

the way you had it, you were listening to native DSD to analog via the Fii0 X5's internal DAC.

you could for example (because you asked before) connect a iphone (using the lightining to USB adapter) to the X5 and use the X5 as a USB DAC and stream hi rez audio to include DSD to it.

i think they already have or soon will allow for external HD to be connected to the X5 direct via the USB input. once they do that, you can then have a TB drive connected to it and have all the music you want. of course, you should probably use external power because that drive will suck the life outta the player!
I have heard of people using OTG cables to connect flash drives to the X5 but I think there are some compatibility issues. Ideally it'd be great to connect a WD My Passport 1 TB to it, that'd allow you to have a huge library of music at hand.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 04:10 PM   #27
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaerGriggs View Post
I have heard of people using OTG cables to connect flash drives to the X5 but I think there are some compatibility issues. Ideally it'd be great to connect a WD My Passport 1 TB to it, that'd allow you to have a huge library of music at hand.
yes, i heard about those cables and they have been hit or miss for many. let's hope the folks at Fii0 find a way to incorporate this into the unit via a firmware. it would be a huge step forward for them in their product value and it will pick sales of the unit up by a ton, no doubt!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:37 PM   #28
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

at work, currently listening to:



DSD64

so far, this iFi nano iDSD DAC can do no wrong!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:19 PM   #29
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

listening to:

bartok_solti_mpc_mm.jpg

DSD64
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 03:25 PM   #30
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

listening to:

schumann_Sym_3_bernstein.jpg

DSD64
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:31 PM   #31
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

listening to:

mahler_5_Kubelik.jpg

DSD256 streaming @ 22,579kbps
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:42 PM   #32
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

finishing out the day listening to:

coltrane_ballads.jpg

DSD64

it's the Coooooooooooooooooooltrane Baby!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #33
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

starting off the day with:

Bernstein_Copland.jpg

DSD64 @ 5644kbps

the DAC is still going strong with no signs of slowing down, no issues either!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:46 PM   #34
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

listening to:



FLAC 96/24 @ 3235kbps
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:58 PM   #35
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

next spot in the que:



WMALL 44.1/16 @ 874kbps

man can this girl sing!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:38 PM   #36
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

listening to:



FLAC 192/24 @ 5609kbps
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #37
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

starting off the day listening to:



FLAC 192/24 @ 6336kbps

and the day begins......at work that is!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 08:23 PM   #38
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

back from the gym (damn good workout too) listening to:



FLAC 96/24 @ 2940kbps

"The Cuervo Gold,
The fine Colombian,
Make tonight a wonderful thing.........."

"............Please Say it again!"
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #39
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

listening to:



FLAC 192/24 @ 6241kbps Billie doin it only as Billie can!
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 05:58 PM   #40
solarrdadd solarrdadd is online now
Blu-ray Prince
 
solarrdadd's Avatar
 
Jul 2008
Virginia
255
171
1293
4
42
316
Default

listening to:



DSD64 @ 5644kbps

getting primed before hitting the gym!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Headphones, Portable Audio, Computer Audio > Computer Audio


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:59 PM.