Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sparklite (Switch)
$14.99

Baldur's Gate (Switch)
$29.99

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Switch)
$29.97

Planescape Torment & Icewind Dale (Switch)
$29.99

Darksiders Genesis (Switch)
$33.88

Dead Cells: Action Game of the Year (Switch)
$24.99

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 (Switch)
$38.99

Valfaris (Switch)
$24.99

Vampyr (Switch)
$29.99

Forager (Switch)
$19.99

Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch)
$49.94

Super Bomberman R (Switch)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 03-18-2015, 02:16 PM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbun View Post

And count me as another person who doesn’t believe the NX is going to try to compete with the XB1/PS4 in regards to power. It’s just not Nintendo’s style anymore. And I am ok with that. I don’t buy their game systems to play game with super-realistic graphics, but their first party games are the best in regards to charm and gameplay, and that is enough for me.
As long as they go x86, they should still have 3rd party support without having a grossly overpowered system. Games can still be ported relatively easy (unlike now with the WiiU). They would just be the paired back version when the new SONY/MS systems come out.

Of course this is assuming the next SONY/MS systems both stick with x86. It would be dumb not to at this point as it offers a lot of benefits.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #22
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

If it is in fact a home console I should say I'm not surprised given their history of coming in late & cleaning up the competition since 86, but this one would shock me.

A more powerful console then Sony & MS!
Old 03-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #23
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
A more powerful console then Sony & MS!
Ain't happening.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Ain't happening.
Sure it could. Two years out, making something more powerful than the PS4/X1 at a decent cost will be easy. The issue is having it be competitive with the systems after that. Like I said, they're out of the launch cycle at the moment and are in a very weird place.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #25
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
Sure it could. Two years out, making something more powerful than the PS4/X1 at a decent cost will be easy. The issue is having it be competitive with the systems after that. Like I said, they're out of the launch cycle at the moment and are in a very weird place.
What do they need the extra power for, to make Mario ' s mustache more realistic?
Old 03-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Being that they focused on tablet and touchscreen devices it looks more like they're going for a Smartphone that plays 3DS games than a home console.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #27
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
What do they need the extra power for, to make Mario ' s mustache more realistic?
Read some of my other comments. For their games they normally don't need power. To keep 3rd parties interested they will. It's not in their best interest to have another generation without strong 3rd party support.

Last edited by dyne; 03-18-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #28
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Quote:
Red some of my other comments. For their games they normally don't need power. To keep 3rd parties interested they will. It's not in their best interest to have another generation without strong 3rd party support.
It's not just more power but a much bigger and open-minded audience which would be willing to support third party companies which has failed terribly on the Wii U.

2018-19 is guaranteed for a new Nintendo home console and by then when the new one's out the Wii U will be easily forgotten due to the commercial failure it is.

Nintendo also needs to address that their online services are beyond outdated and voice chat needs to be part of their games. Especially for the likes of a team based game *cough* Splatoon *cough*.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #29
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3bd_owner View Post
It's not just more power but a much bigger and open-minded audience which would be willing to support third party companies which has failed terribly on the Wii U.
To an extent. It's a catch 22 with the WiiU. To port games to it takes resources developers don't really want to invest since the install base is so low. Yet the install base is so low because of a lack or 3rd party development.

People would support it if it had quality 3rd party games that weren't delayed so much. People don't want to wait around for a game they want when it's probably going to look better and arrive faster elsewhere.

Quote:
2018-19 is guaranteed for a new Nintendo home console and by then when the new one's out the Wii U will be easily forgotten due to the commercial failure it is.
Let's be clear that a commercial failure is not the same as a financial failure. They're making money.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:42 PM   #30
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2008
Champlin, MN

I doubt NX is the next handheld. 3DS is still killing it for Nintendo and they just released a new 3DS that you need to play certain games. I don't see Nintendo making people buy a new 3DS model and than turn around and release a completely new handheld.
Old 03-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Quote:
To an extent. It's a catch 22 with the WiiU. To port games to it takes resources developers don't really want to invest since the install base is so low. Yet the install base is so low because of a lack or 3rd party development.

People would support it if it had quality 3rd party games that weren't delayed so much. People don't want to wait around for a game they want when it's probably going to look better and arrive faster elsewhere.
EA, Warner Bros. and UbiSoft all gave Wii U owners a chance to have multiplatforms like the other consoles have always had but since they never supported them, oh well, they just kicked the Wii U to the bucket as it wasn't doing them any favours.

I'm surprised Bandai Namco still gives two craps about the Wii U because they're releasing Project C.A.R.S.

Quote:
Let's be clear that a commercial failure is not the same as a financial failure. They're making money.
It's a commercial failure which is still profitable as it sold 9 million units but that's nothing to brag when the others have sold much more.

If Nintendo had terminated the Wii U's gaming library and released a 3DS add-on for it it would only have increased the 3DS sales even farther, and 3DS has a much better gaming library than the Wii U will ever have.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:05 PM   #32
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

I do agree that for Nintendo's next system that they should move from Power PC to X86 architecture, if for no other reason to add extra incentive for 3rd parties to port their titles. However beyond that, I cannot see Nintendo cranking out some uber-powerful console. I'm sure it will be very capable but it won't be cutting edge or anything.

I'm sticking with my prediction. Handheld/Console hybrid with power roughly current gen. Will come out in 2017.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #33
Banned

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbun View Post
I could really care less about the signing with DeNA. Where I have a smartphone, I have never played any games on it or ever plan to. I know Iwata made a point to announce a “dedicated game console”, I just hope I don’t see games disappear from their future game consoles because they are going to mobile, instead.

As for the NX, I would also love it to be a home console (instead of a handheld). And this comes from someone who just bought a Wii U. Where I have loved my handhelds (especially Nintendo ones), I have always preferred playing my games on my television.

And count me as another person who doesn’t believe the NX is going to try to compete with the XB1/PS4 in regards to power. It’s just not Nintendo’s style anymore. And I am ok with that. I don’t buy their game systems to play game with super-realistic graphics, but their first party games are the best in regards to charm and gameplay, and that is enough for me.
I think they should be with their next console. If they can have PS4 or XB1 caliber power then they can have great ports of all the third party games. There's no reason why a Battlefield or Tomb Raider or whatever couldn't and wouldn't sell great on a Nintendo platform. As long as the power is there for parity's sake with the other two and they don't handcuff themselves with wonky controls then I think it would totally work for them.

People keep saying that Nintendo isn't interested in competing with Sony or Microsoft but the point is(at least in my opinion) that if they did do what I said then they would undoubtedly be doing MUCH better than they are right now with Wii U. Maybe they still finish in 3rd place but at least it's not a distant 3rd place. I think Nintendo would gain a lot of people back to their camp if they could show that they cared about all the gamers who grew up on their consoles.

I believe that Nintendo's consoles are going to become less and less popular with people as time goes on because of this:

Nintendo has for a while now sold their "quirky" last couple consoles because there still is a lot of people who buy Nintendo consoles because of all the nostalgia that their franchises have. Face it Zelda, Mario etc make people feel good, it reminds people of their great past gaming memories. But as time goes on there are less and less people buying the Nintendo consoles and there is a larger percentage of gamers that are growing up as Xbox or PlayStation kids. It's guys like me who are 31 that remember Nintendo as it used to be, those days are long gone and the more weird stuff Nintendo makes these days it just seperates my feelings for the company more and more over time, but I still have those feelings of Nintendo that are good that would possibly make me buy a console. But the number of kids right now playing a Nintendo console are much MUCH less than a PlayStation or Xbox console and I believe that their gaming futures will be with one of those two names because they are going to have no feelings for Nintendo the way that I did growing up with NES-N64. I REALLY think Nintendo would do very well in the same space as Sony and MS I truly believe that. It would be awesome to see the Big N be a much more relevant brand to gamers again.

Last edited by moviedude 2K15; 03-18-2015 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:17 PM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2011

Quote:
o reason why a Battlefield or Tomb Raider or whatever couldn't and wouldn't sell great on a Nintendo platform.
Nintendo fans don't support third party devs and that's why EA, UbiSoft, Warner Bros. and others dumped the Wii U.

If they keep doing the same it'll never get better and this matter because without customers to support/buy their releases they won't publish a version for a platform that isn't lucrative.

Watch this video if you want to get an idea of how atrocious Wii U/Nintendo's situation is with third party:

Old 03-18-2015, 07:20 PM   #35
Banned

Jan 2015

Quote:
Nintendo fans don't support third party devs and that's why EA, UbiSoft, Warner Bros. and others dumped the Wii U.

If they keep doing the same it'll never get better and this matter because without customers to support/buy their releases they won't publish a version for a platform that isn't lucrative.

Watch this video if you want to get an idea of how atrocious Wii U/Nintendo's situation is with third party:

Dear Nintendo Fans - You Don't Buy Anything You Don't Get Anything - DEAL WITH IT - YouTube
Nintendo fans don't support third party because there are almost NO games made from them because NINTENDO doesn't support the devs well by making relevant hardware that people want to own. It's because of this that they don't make games on the platform. Nintendo could be extremely relevant again if they made a console that could have the multiplatform games developed on it by the likes of Ubisoft, EA etc along side the PS4 and XB1. It's a crazy cycle that Nintendo has created themselves.
Thanks given by:
Noahishere (03-18-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 08:19 PM   #36
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedude 2K15 View Post
Nintendo fans don't support third party because there are almost NO games made from them because NINTENDO doesn't support the devs well by making relevant hardware that people want to own. It's because of this that they don't make games on the platform. Nintendo could be extremely relevant again if they made a console that could have the multiplatform games developed on it by the likes of Ubisoft, EA etc along side the PS4 and XB1. It's a crazy cycle that Nintendo has created themselves.
So what was Bayonetta 2's excuse? This is a gorgeous looking and great playing 3rd party title, exclusive to the Wii-U, that was extremely well reviewed that no one bought.

Last edited by Steelmaker; 03-18-2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:20 PM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedude 2K15 View Post
Well... some of what you are saying is true, some of it isn't.

You make it sound like Nintendo's current cycle has been going on for several system generations, in terms of their systems being underpowered compared to the competition. That really hasn't been the case. That really started last generation with the Wii (more on this shortly).

Nintendo did get a bad reputation with 3rd parties due to their "bully tactics" back in the NES/SNES days.

Then the problem with the N64 wasn't that it was underpowered, it was that they stuck with the cartridge format. And while it had the advantage of no loading times compared to other CD based systems, it was otherwise an expensive format and more limited in terms of what the devs could do with it. Between that and Sega's Saturn (an underrated system IMO, but one that defiantely had it's problems) being difficult to program for and dying off while the PS1 and N64 were still going, the PS1 got a bunch of "defacto" exclusives that otherwise would have been multiplatform.

And while the Gamecube was a step in the right direction since Nintendo went with a disc based system, the big problem with it was not that it was underpowered (it really wasn't), but rather because they went with those damn mini discs.

The Gamecube actually had a pretty decent amount of 3rd party support. It wasn't necessarily "stellar," but a good amount of games came out for all 3 systems... PS2, Gamecube, and the original Xbox. And for some of the games that came out for all 3 of them, the Gamecube versions actually looked better than the PS2 versions of some games.

But because of the mini disc format, the amount of data each disc could hold was limited. So some games that required more data either didn't get released on the system, or would come with two discs, requiring a disc swap on Gamecube that wasn't needed on the competing systems.

The real problem IMO came in when the last generation launched. Microsoft and Sony decided to plow full steam ahead with new full HD systems (with HD still being a relatively young concept at that point) in 2005 and 2006 respectively, in which they were taking pretty big losses on each console sold. People scoffed at the PS3's $600 launch price... and even at that price, Sony was taking a big loss per unit!

And MS and Sony are much bigger corporations with other divisions and so forth. Nintendo is a company who for the most part only really sell video games.

They really couldn't afford to make a console that they would take a huge loss on with each sale in order to properly compete. And really, even if it had been of similar calibur, would people who are going to only get one system really going to pick Nintendo (assuming that their system would have cost at least $400 at launch) given their reputation up to that point?

Nintendo has certainly made some mistakes along the way and positioned themselves in a way that doesn't make most gamers faithful on 3rd party support.

But at the same time, the thing that Nintendo couldn't control last generation that made the situation worse (despite how well the Wii otherwise sold) is the fact that the competition does use the loss-leader business model, which IMO has never been a really good idea.

Despite the popularity of the Xbox and Playstation brands, there had been a lot of criticism of how much money they are actually making when all is said and done (especially last gen with the 360's failure rate).

In my opinion, from an (IMO) logical, technilogical standpoint, the last generation launched too early. It came out when it did simply because of the typical roughly 5 year time frame between system generations. Nintendo couldn't afford to gamble on making a system that they would have to sell at a loss at a price point akin to the competition, because many people would likely scoff at the idea of paying $400+ for a Nintendo system no matter what it's capabilities are. And they couldn't do anything about when the system generation was starting and when the competition was releasing their system. So, they came up with the Wii and opted not to even compete in terms of making their system similarly powered as the competition.

There was an extended time period between last gen (360/PS3/Wii) and this gen (Xbone/PS4/Wii U) than is typical. Frankly I feel that's what should have happened between the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation and last gen.

We shouldn't even have gotten the 360 and PS3 until more like 2008 or 2009 at the earliest. And the time frame between that gen and the current gen still should have been a longer (7 or 8) year gap like it already was, meaning that the PS4 and Xbox One shouldn't even have launched until later this year or early next year, allowing the affordability of the technology to catch up and not require the loss leader model. I know some people will disagree with this, not wanting to have waited longer for the newer tech than they'd absolutely have to (and part of me agrees to an extent.. I like having the newer tech available within reason), but it is something that starts to catch up after a while. Had the time between PS3/360 and PS4/Xbone been more like 5 years, in order to make the systems as advanced as they are now, it would have cost a lot more.

Now from what I understand, the PS4 and Xbox One are more reasonable in that respect and aren't taking as big of a hit per unit sold as the 360 and PS3 did early in their lifecycles. But none the less, the point remains. Even if they are breaking even per system, if Nintendo, with their current reputation, launched a system along side of them that was similarly powered, I doubt that the Halo or God of War fans would jump ship to Nintendo.

People would scoff at the idea of paying $400 for a Nintendo system, figuring that 3rd party support wouldn't be there. And while it likely would be there early on, because of the "scoffers," not a lot of people would buy the 3rd party games, they wouldn't sell well, and the whole thing becomes a self-fullfilling prophecy.

Nintendo is in something of tough spot, and to some extent they put themselve there, but the general direction that gaming has gone in since Sony and MS have become the top dogs hasn't always been the best IMO (and I say this as someone who considers the PS3 my favorite console of the last generation). It's like pushing the gas pedal of a car all of the way to the floor, having the RPM meter continue to go up until it gets into the red. At some point you have to ease off the gas and take it easy, or else the car will overheat. Likewise, pushing technology further head (especially using the loss leader model) too quickly, and then having to keep jumping ahead without taking the proper time inbetween will cause problems as well. And Nintendo just isn't willing to (nor should they) take the same risks as Sony and MS.

Unforunately most gamers just don't seem to think about these kinds of things and put anything in perspective. They are just more concerned with instant gratification with little to no regard for anything else.

It would be nice if Nintendo can somehow strategically position themselves to somehow compete with the "big boys," but I think they need to mainly focus on creating and maintaining some kind of forward thinking profitable business model that works for them, even if it doesn't attempt to align itself with the competition.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:33 PM   #38
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post

Then the problem with the N64 wasn't that it was underpowered, it was that they stuck with the cartridge format. And while it had the advantage of no loading times compared to other CD based systems, it was otherwise an expensive format and more limited in terms of what the devs could do with it. Between that and Sega's Saturn (an underrated system IMO, but one that defiantely had it's problems) being difficult to program for and dying off while the PS1 and N64 were still going, the PS1 got a bunch of "defacto" exclusives that otherwise would have been multiplatform.
I have said for years and years that Nintendo opting to stick with cartridge in generation 3 was the single costliest decision ever in video gaming (in terms of userbase). It basically cost them Squaresoft, which cost them Final Fantasy 7, which essentially cost them Japan. Had Nintendo not lost Squaresoft to Sony, I don't think the Playstation brand would be what it is today. I think the decision to stick with cartridge instead of going with CD ROM caused a seismic shift larger than anyone realized it would.

Then, like you said, they turned around and made a similar costly mistake with the Gamecube by going with mini-disk instead of DVD-ROM. Early in it's life cycle, a lot of people bought PS2's because they were inexpensive DVD players. Fast forward to today with the Wii-U and Nintendo is STILL refusing to offer up DVD/Blu Ray drive support.

Also, I think in terms of profitablity I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that Sony is turning a profit on every PS4 sold. I'm not sure about MS with the X1 considering all the price drops and bundle deals they've had going. I'd say they're probably still losing money on X1 in comparison to PS4.

Last edited by Steelmaker; 03-18-2015 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 PM   #39
Banned

Jan 2015

Nintendo I think can be a major player again. I mean almost nobody I know who plays games even has a Wii U. Everybody has PS4 or XB1. But if Nintendo made a console to directly compete with PS4/XB1 I'd be all over it. I'd love to play a great Call of Duty or Mortal Kombat or whatever on their machine. I think if they learn from their past mistakes and really take a big picture look at it and made the correct decisions with console design and marketing the thing it could be huge. Once again this is just my opinion. I'm not saying they would be the market leader(although that isn't out of the question) but they could make themselves a good competitor. I think even if they did do this they'd be doing much better than they are now with Wii U.

And for God's sake ditch the Wii name like a bad habit on the next console PLEASE!!! Wii U made it sound like some sort of add on or peripheral for the Wii. It's called marketing Nintendo! Sorry to sound like I'm hating on Nintendo so much, I love the company still I just so dearly want them to be a part of my gaming life again but I need them to give me a real reason.
Old 03-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #40
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
So what was Bayonetta 2's excuse? This is a gorgeous looking and great playing 3rd party title, exclusive to the Wii-U, that was extremely well reviewed that no one bought.
A niche title on a system with a small userbase. Just because a game is good doesn't mean everyone will buy it.
Thanks given by:
Dynamo of Eternia (03-19-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Tags
nintendo, switch™