Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
18 hrs ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
8 hrs ago
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96
7 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Spider-Man Limited Edition 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.71
8 hrs ago
Queen & Slim 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.35

Dolittle 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 09-05-2017, 04:50 PM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
West Yorkshire, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matze85 View Post
So what are your predictions? when will Warner release LOTR?
What do you think? Maybe in late 2018?

First in row now is the Harry Potter series and Nolan's Batman trilogy.
and after that? what will be the next big back catalog title?

I have sworn to myself not to switch over to 4K until LOTR appears on UHD!
2018/19 I'm guessing. More likely 2018 as it's the 15th anniversary of Return of the King. We'll probably get a similar situation to Harry Potter where the newer movies come out first and the older movies which require more work come later.

So Hobbit Trilogy early 2018 and Lord of the Rings trilogy late 2018 is my guess.
Thanks given by:
Matze85 (09-05-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 06:42 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

I figure there will be a LotR/Hobbit "4K" box set with twelve extra discs and a $200 price tag.

Fine, maybe $300. But only because the cardboard box it'll come in will be much larger than necessary.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:37 PM   #43
Special Member

Nov 2010
Wales, United Kingdom
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matze85 View Post
So what are your predictions? when will Warner release LOTR?
What do you think? Maybe in late 2018?

First in row now is the Harry Potter series and Nolan's Batman trilogy.
and after that? what will be the next big back catalog title?

I have sworn to myself not to switch over to 4K until LOTR appears on UHD!
You just know it'll be the Theatricals first and the EEs later, as it was with Blu-ray.

Not interested in Theatricals.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:45 AM   #44

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashetti View Post
You just know it'll be the Theatricals first and the EEs later, as it was with Blu-ray.

Not interested in Theatricals.
Maybe I'm expecting too much and/or wrong but I feel like most of the studios have been choosing to remaster what would be considered their latest/more recent masters/versions of said movies. Watchmen has the "Ultimate Cut," Star Trek: Into Darkness has the more recent version with shifting aspect ratios, which was released later on with the compendium edition, and Blade Runner is the "Final Cut," which I thought was the most recent remaster for the movie from 2007.

I kind of feel like they don't actually want to spend the money remastering both editions and will therefore go straight to remastering the EE.

Maybe wishful thinking
Old 09-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #45
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

True, but those releases plus BvS and nuGhostbusters are very much the exceptions on UHD, with theatrical editions being the general default for Warners in particular, and Sony have put out several theatrical editions on UHD too.

I feel like you could flip a coin when it comes to how they'll treat LOTR though, but the existence of the longer cut of FOTR on a proper 2K DI whilst the video master for the theatrical exists as a rather old telecine may well push them towards the EEs overall.
Thanks given by:
Kaonashi (11-13-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #46
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

I have enough faith in WB to release both versions, one after the other. Each version has a passionate fanbase, and overall, most fans who are passionate enough about this stuff need to have both versions anyway. (Like me, despite my relative antipathy towards the extended cuts.) I just want the theatrical cuts to be treated better than they were on BD.

The Hobbits should also look fantastic, really can't wait to see what those look like. Smaug in 4K/HDR?
Old 09-06-2017, 03:15 PM   #47
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Hobbitses will be 2K upscales but given how Warners generally filter/bit starve their BDs anyway then yeah, I could see the HDR UHDs being a very nice improvement.
Thanks given by:
Kaonashi (11-13-2017)
Old 09-06-2017, 03:18 PM   #48
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Even with their usual practices, those extended Hobbit discs look great, especially when upscaled. I don't think much work needs to be done there. The cherry on top would be HFR but I doubt that'll happen (I doubt it's even possible, anyway).

But LOTR matters more.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

I haven't seen these movies since they came out; would the theatrical and extended cuts be able to exist on a single disc via branching?

I figure that would be ideal. One release to rule them all.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:26 PM   #50
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangeli View Post
I haven't seen these movies since they came out; would the theatrical and extended cuts be able to exist on a single disc via branching?

I figure that would be ideal.
I would say no because three hours is pretty taxing, even for a 100GB disc. Adding a minimum of half hour on top for the EEs + the bridging footage + foreign audio is going to put it over the top. Watchmen Ultimate is 216 minutes, true enough, but there's no branching and no alternate language tracks or commentaries whatsoever: just a single low bitrate TrueHD 5.1 track.

New Line DID do a DVD release of the LOTR films which branched both versions, however it was still split over two discs (or rather two sides of a disc) because there wasn't enough room on a single DVD9 to squeeze it all on, and it's my firm belief that the same applies to BD and indeed UHD.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:30 PM   #51
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Even if they could fit both cuts onto a single disc without compromising quality, it would rob them of the ability to sell two individual sets, aka leaving money on the table. So yeah, it's not gonna happen.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

I remember the theatrical editions already felt very long so I figure it won't be any different with the extended editions.

I'll probably go for the extended editions if they ever do come in UHD.
Thanks given by:
richlife69 (11-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #53
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

It definitely makes a difference lol
Old 09-06-2017, 03:39 PM   #54
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

Also back then I didn't give movies the attention they deserved so for me these are certainly worth revisiting.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #55
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Even if they could fit both cuts onto a single disc without compromising quality, it would rob them of the ability to sell two individual sets, aka leaving money on the table. So yeah, it's not gonna happen.
Dunno, I've got a feeling that this time they're gonna bypass the theatricals and go straight to the EEs. Reason being that a UHD release for movies like this is kind of a big deal, and while we've had a bunch of other theatricals issued on UHD they're for films that aren't necessarily the most high profile releases in the world (not even Best Picture winners like Argo) so them being the theatricals kinda sneaks under the radar.

But LOTR wouldn't escape that scrutiny and I think most fans would treat it as a dip too far if they did the same theatricals/EEs release strategy yet again. Sucks for fans of the theatricals (me included) but you've got to pick your battles when it comes to a niche of a niche format like this.
Old 09-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012

If we were sticking with the same 6.1 audio mix from the Blu-Rays, they could possibly fit the extended editions on one disc. However, since the potential UHDs would see an upgrade to DTSX or Dolby Atmos along with the increase of resolution and HDR/WCG, we'll probably see each film split across two discs to allow maximum picture quality.

The Extended Hobbit films could potentially be put on one disc as they are still a lot shorter than the Extended Lord of the Rings.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #57
Power Member

Oct 2007

It's Warner so I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully when they produce the 4K release they also use it as a chance to correct the picture for the Fellowship theatrical and release it on regular blu.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #58
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Dunno, I've got a feeling that this time they're gonna bypass the theatricals and go straight to the EEs. Reason being that a UHD release for movies like this is kind of a big deal, and while we've had a bunch of other theatricals issued on UHD they're for films that aren't necessarily the most high profile releases in the world (not even Best Picture winners like Argo) so them being the theatricals kinda sneaks under the radar.

But LOTR wouldn't escape that scrutiny and I think most fans would treat it as a dip too far if they did the same theatricals/EEs release strategy yet again. Sucks for fans of the theatricals (me included) but you've got to pick your battles when it comes to a niche of a niche format like this.
WB seems to have a history of favouring the best received cut for UHD; with Blade Runner getting the Final Cut and Batman v Superman getting the Ultimate Cut. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they skip theatrical and go straight to extended. They know there's only so many times they can reissue these films with the same strategy of Theatrical then Extended before fans give up. The UHDs will likely be the last release of the films for some time. At least until Peter Jackson releases his long planned Ultimate Editions.

The real question is if the Hobbit UHDs will feature the HFR 48fps version interpolated to 60fps or if WB will stick with the 24fps version.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:19 PM   #59
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxerunner View Post
It's Warner so I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully when they produce the 4K release they also use it as a chance to correct the picture for the Fellowship theatrical and release it on regular blu.
The new master will certainly be exclusive to the UHD. No other studio has put the new master on the included Blu-Ray disc as far as I'm aware.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:35 PM   #60
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

They can't not release the theatricals on UHD. They're three of the biggest movies ever made and won what, 17 Oscars in total? There's enough of a market for both cuts to coexist; they have for this long. No need to suddenly shun one of them, especially when the one that would get shunned is the superior version.
Thanks given by:
flyry (10-27-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists