Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
13 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
15 hrs ago
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96

Spider-Man Limited Edition 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.82

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99
15 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Uncut Gems (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Old 08-31-2015, 04:06 PM   #21

Feb 2010
Oregon

My home brew cleaning solution:

3 parts distilled water
1 part Isopropyl Alcohol - 99% if you can find it, less is fine, but still get in the 90% range.
1 - 2 drops of Dawn dish soap

Scrub record with a soft, stiff paint brush.
Rinse - distilled is best, but I just use tap water
dry with micro fiber chamois

For this method I use 2 dent pullers to clamp on the record...makes it so I have something to hold and keeps the label safe from getting wet.

Even though I have a VPI record cleaner, I still use this method for those really grimy GoodWill records before I put them on the VPI.

But I do use this solution recipe as my VPI cleaner, too. Works great and I've never had a problem with it. A lot cheaper than the MoFi cleaner that I really don't like.
Thanks given by:
Johnny Vinyl (08-31-2015)
Old 08-31-2015, 05:44 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeving View Post
My home brew cleaning solution:

3 parts distilled water
1 part Isopropyl Alcohol - 99% if you can find it, less is fine, but still get in the 90% range.
1 - 2 drops of Dawn dish soap

Scrub record with a soft, stiff paint brush.
Rinse - distilled is best, but I just use tap water
dry with micro fiber chamois

For this method I use 2 dent pullers to clamp on the record...makes it so I have something to hold and keeps the label safe from getting wet.

Even though I have a VPI record cleaner, I still use this method for those really grimy GoodWill records before I put them on the VPI.

But I do use this solution recipe as my VPI cleaner, too. Works great and I've never had a problem with it. A lot cheaper than the MoFi cleaner that I really don't like.
I may steal that dent puller trick. I usually just mount something skinny and put the hole on it...
Old 09-01-2015, 04:53 AM   #23

Mar 2011
Woodland Hills, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
It's all relative though.

This exactly. I started out using an old discwasher and cleaning fluid, I now use a record doctor V ($200) which I still consider a VERY entry-level cleaning system. However after using a vacuum-powered cleaning machine I will NEVER go back to a brush and cleaning fluid. It's a very audible difference.

Plus how could I spend hundreds of dollars on my cartridge alone and not do everything within my budget to make sure I wasn't damaging it or dirtying it? Plus I have invested literally tens of thousands of dollars into my collection, audio gear (AVR, speakers, headphones) over the years of collecting, and it would be completely illogical to cheap out on a $20 bottle of cleaning fluid. It's not about price gouging either, there's way more to cleaning fluid than alcohol and dish soap.

To each their own though, whatever works for some won't work for all though.
Thanks given by:
Johnny Vinyl (09-01-2015)
Old 09-20-2015, 07:49 PM   #24

Dec 2010
USA

Wood glue. Let the album spin as you apply it. Let it dry, then peel it off. nothing left in those grooves except tunes after that.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:15 AM   #25
Expert Member

Sep 2009
Bron-Yr-Aur
Default Skip...

That glue method looks easy enough. I'll probably want to practice on older records that I have as duplicates. Will it take out debris that is causing skips?

On the subject, anyone know how to take out what looks like stuck paper in the groove? I was advised of using a plastic tooth pick.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:09 PM   #26
Expert Member

Sep 2009
Bron-Yr-Aur
Default Glue On Glue Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritz View Post
Wood glue. Let the album spin as you apply it. Let it dry, then peel it off. nothing left in those grooves except tunes after that.
Tried the method on a 40+ old ratty "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!"... Wasn't too complicated plus I wasn't sitting around waiting for it to dry. Turned it from an unlistenable F to G rating to at least a VG-. Wasn't expecting a miracle but pleasantly surprised that the method yielded decent results with an old, very used record that's been around a long time.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:08 PM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE

just picked up a RECORD DOCTOR V...199..less 20.00 Ebay deal...179.00 shipped from Kraft St Audio...came in 3 days...very nice and easy to use...
Old 10-05-2015, 08:43 PM   #28
Expert Member

Sep 2009
Bron-Yr-Aur
Default Glued Work...

Tried it on some more titles... Very good results all around. Reduced the noise to a very noticeable extent. Not dramatic but certainly it worked.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:52 PM   #29
Banned

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
If I don't have an official vinyl cleaning kit, are there any around the house products I can use to clean them with?
Steelmaker,

Here is what I do and it has worked out perfectly almost every time (and I have 12-inch singles on vinyl that I used when I was a mobile DJ years ago that were CAKED in all kinds of gross stuff, some even having canine urine on them from when my collection was in storage and my parents' Malteses thought the boxes they were in were fire hydrants...the urine seeped through the outer jackets, rendering them useless, and eventually crystalized on the vinyl itself...so you KNOW I had some cleaning to do!):

Lay a lint-free or soft towel/cloth down on the bathroom counter. Put the record you want to clean down on it for now. Put a little Dawn dishwashing soap in a little bowl and add warm/hot water to it. Take a sponge -- a CLEAN one or brand-new one, which will be relegated to ONLY cleaning your records -- and get it soapy with the Dawn (or any other GENTLE dishwashing solution) while also drenching the record in some warm to luke warm water. Lay the record on the towel and begin using the sponge with the soap to go around the record IN THE DIRECTION OF THE GROOVES, really getting in there to get the grooves as clean as possible. Rinse off the soap, repeat for the flip side...

Then, being that your label will be wet -- don't panic -- DAB at the label (don't rub) with either paper towels or another clean soft cloth, and then begin drying the vinyl by going in the direction of the grooves once again with the paper towel or cloth. Do this for both sides. Your records should be squeaky, shiny clean and you should notice a reduction, if not elimination, of crackle and surface noise (provided those noises aren't due to groove damage, which there's nothing you can do anything about). I use this method on every record I clean and have had remarkable results in particular with my vinyl that exhibited caked-on pet urine.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #30

Oct 2015

I find that warm water and windex works too.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:10 PM   #31
Banned

May 2016

I have used Windex on CDs, but I would NOT put it on vinyl...
Old 08-20-2016, 03:01 AM   #32
Special Member

Aug 2016

The best thing in the world to use is a bottle of "dawn" soap, a handle clamp that covers the label on both sides to keep it dry and a record vacuum attachment for the shop vac. All for under 75.00 bucks and works just as well as a 1,500 dollar machine.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:37 AM   #33
Banned

May 2016

I use the Dawn method, but don't apply it as prescribed above -- I simply put a squeeze or two in a small monkey dish, fill it with hot water and dip a sponge into the dish, then apply the mixture of soap and water to the record going in round strokes in the DIRECTION OF THE GROOVES. I then rinse and dry with a cloth, making sure to re-dry once the record is on the turntable platter with a couple of spins using the velvet bar/brush.

While 95-percent of my dirty vinyl is cleaned very well using this method, I have found some LPs and 12-inch singles to be past the point of resurrection, and some of these continue to click, clack and skip depending on how bad the damage is (and that's after MULTIPLE cleanings)...

Just last night, I gave a deep cleaning to LL Cool J's debut vinyl album, Radio, of which I have a mint first pressing, as well as Paula Abdul's Shut Up and Dance remix LP...both didn't sound all that great even after a good washing, with Radio being crackly between tracks and Shut Up and Dance exhibiting kind of strident, harsh qualities in the high frequencies...

Also, with regard to Sarah's suggestion of using a record clamp to keep the label dry -- that may be okay, but I have personally found that no label has ever been destroyed by getting wet...my labels get wet all the time using my method, and I merely blot them off when I'm done washing them, without letting the ink run or anything like that...
Old 08-25-2016, 01:31 AM   #34

Oct 2015

I used some Windex-Alchohol-warm water...and guess what...it worked!!
Old 08-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #35
Banned

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmasong View Post
I used some Windex-Alchohol-warm water...and guess what...it worked!!
You cannot BELIEVE what damage that's doing to the vinyl over time...alcohol was originally thought to be a "crackle dissolver" but it's been proven not to be good for the vinyl material. Likewise, I wouldn't be putting Windex ANYWHERE NEAR my vinyl...
Old 08-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #36

Oct 2015

Haha I don't do it much so no harm done, and yes the Windex works for me.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:47 PM   #37
Banned

May 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmasong View Post
Haha I don't do it much so no harm done, and yes the Windex works for me.
But it's ruining your vinyl in the LONG RUN...trust me.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:36 PM   #38
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

I finally got my vinyl cleaning suite together

And it performs like a charm
Thanks given by:
Johnny Vinyl (10-14-2016), x3bowens (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 04:24 PM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010
Michigan

You mean I shouldn't put them in the dishwasher?

Old 11-11-2016, 02:44 PM   #40
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
You mean I shouldn't put them in the dishwasher?

At your own risk
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music