Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.91
1 hr ago
Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Dino King 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

IMAX: National Parks Adventure 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.28

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$16.84

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Rampage 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.03

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.49

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.92

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 12-12-2015, 06:15 AM   #1

Oct 2011
20th Century Fox Avatar 2 (2021) Theatrical 3D Discussion

Last edited by tigermoth; 01-05-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Thanks given by:
Daredevil666 (03-10-2017)
Old 12-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

There is a general discussion thread open here:

forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=163879

But if you got this thread here in the 3D section, did you want to talk specifically about the films' 3D qualities?
Old 12-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_The_Strange View Post
There is a general discussion thread open here:

forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=163879

But if you got this thread here in the 3D section, did you want to talk specifically about the films' 3D qualities?

When shooting starts i'm sure there will be talk about how it is being shoot (what 3d rig etc). If HFR will be used and the effect it will have etc.
Old 12-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
I'm sure Cameron will use Fusion Camera System rigs and shoot at 48p in 4k.
I doubt we will see 4k. But I wouldn't be complaining if we did. HFR though, that excites me, I have disliked the 'forceful' holding onto 24fps for a long time. It was made for budgetary reasons almost a century ago, it is time to move on.
Old 12-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #5
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

If the release date is December 2017, I believe he'll accomplish the goal this time and Avatar 2 will hit theaters in time, if they got most of the CGI prepared for filming. Can't wait to see his new vision of 3D, as he suggested he played it a little safe in Avatar.

So this will take place on different planets? If Weaver returns, I'm guessing the story will continue with the Na'vi and Sam Worthington also to some degree?
Maybe they'll form a resistance group to defend other planets, not sure yet but looking forward to it.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:03 AM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
If the release date is December 2017, I believe he'll accomplish the goal this time and Avatar 2 will hit theaters in time, if they got most of the CGI prepared for filming. Can't wait to see his new vision of 3D, as he suggested he played it a little safe in Avatar.

So this will take place on different planets? If Weaver returns, I'm guessing the story will continue with the Na'vi and Sam Worthington also to some degree?
Maybe they'll form a resistance group to defend other planets, not sure yet but looking forward to it.
No idea what the story will be, and I don't think there's been any news on the cast. Last I heard though, there are going to be oodles of new things in Pandora to see, including the deep oceans (which, coming from Cameron, sounds awesome to me).
Old 12-13-2015, 04:42 AM   #7

Mar 2015
Sharpsburg, Georgia, USA

Quote:
No idea what the story will be, and I don't think there's been any news on the cast. Last I heard though, there are going to be oodles of new things in Pandora to see, including the deep oceans (which, coming from Cameron, sounds awesome to me).
Underwater? In 3D? I like the sound of that...I like it a lot.
Old 12-13-2015, 04:47 AM   #8
Special Member

Jun 2010
CA

Quote:
Surprised we didn't have one already?!

Some new info on the status of the film.

Good to know the design work is pretty much done and he is just fine tuning the scrips now. I'm still really skeptical he will make the dates. Disney has already moved Star Wars running scared from Avatar 2's December date so he better make time... because I'm sick of f'n waiting!
As one of the biggest 3D fans and Avatar fans on the planet, I'm beyond sick of waiting for the sequels to come out lol. Cameron's a genius and my filmmaking idol, but he's really trying my patience with his delays on the films lol. i just want him to blow my mind already like he did in '09 lol!
Old 12-14-2015, 05:10 AM   #9
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastcage View Post
Underwater? In 3D? I like the sound of that...I like it a lot.
Sounds good.
Old 12-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
Power Member

Nov 2014

Can't wait to see what Cameron has in store for us.

Major anticipation for these. It'll be great to return to that world, and others they may have planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
I doubt we will see 4k. But I wouldn't be complaining if we did. HFR though, that excites me, I have disliked the 'forceful' holding onto 24fps for a long time. It was made for budgetary reasons almost a century ago, it is time to move on.
I think more likely than not Cameron will push for 4k-3D. It's the big opportunity to move the medium forward.

In an age where people can shoot 2k on phones, it's time to move on. Chances are most screenings will still be 2k 3D, but I'm sure there'll be some screens capable of 4k 3D by then. With the amount of effort that goes into these, Cameron will want them future-proofed.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:48 PM   #11
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
I saw a 48p 3D up-converted bootleg online and had to download it to see what it was like. Man does it make a difference to the 3D quality, even in the shots with little motion it makes the 3D feel more solid and tangible.
48p = 48fps?
Old 12-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
48p = 48fps?
Nope. The next Avatar will be shot only 48 pixels wide. It's a minimalist production.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud_brigman View Post
Nope. The next Avatar will be shot only 48 pixels wide. It's a minimalist production.
That is what 48p means to me.
Old 12-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

It will be interesting if Cameron finally solves the "non-cinematic" look with 48fps, for an immersive experience. Hate being pulled out of movie where things look artificial. Sets, makeup, wigs etc. Undeniable “reality”.
Old 12-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #15
Power Member

Oct 2013
Southern California, USA

IMO, 48fps should be used selectively. For fast action scenes, I'm fine with it. During conversations or closeups, it just looks like a TV soap opera.
Old 12-14-2015, 10:25 PM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revgen View Post
IMO, 48fps should be used selectively. For fast action scenes, I'm fine with it. During conversations or closeups, it just looks like a TV soap opera.
I thought I remember Cameron saying something about variable frame rate for the sequels, in the way that you mentioned. I don't know -- I feel that would be jarring.

EDIT: But I'd be willing to give it a try. I liked the Hobbits in 48fps, but you and Paul H are right: the conversation scenes seemed weird and the set pieces do indeed look fake.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (12-15-2015), revgen (12-20-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #17
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

One of my best 3D experiences with an HMD is the Blu-ray 3D moment of total immersion realism inside the enormous voluminous space-craft facility in the original Avatar.

Snapshot-2015-12-15 at 09_38_54 AM-413726235.jpg

Avatar 2 3D can't come soon enough!
Thanks given by:
birdztudio (01-15-2020), Zivouhr (12-20-2015)
Old 12-20-2015, 04:46 PM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
One of my best 3D experiences with an HMD is the Blu-ray 3D moment of total immersion realism inside the enormous voluminous space-craft facility in the original Avatar.

Attachment 130467

Avatar 2 3D can't come soon enough!
Thanks for posting that pic of the resting chamber in Avatar.
That is one of the best 3D shots in the movie, agreed. Hopefully most of Avatar 2, 3 and 4 will include strong 3D like that. So much more fun to watch in strong 3D like that, than a flat image.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (12-20-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 12:42 AM   #19
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Chances are, Cameron can meet the 2017 Avatar 2 3D deadline with his great amount of resources and crew helping put the film together. If all of the major pre-production is complete, they're in very good shape once they get the principle photography of the actors scenes completed in hopefully a few months or so.

I can see this hitting the 2017 deadline, but going up against Star Wars VIII, maybe they'll aim for November instead of Christmas December. That would be the only reason to switch the deadline unless things go very wrong on the set, which is unlikely. But that's just one opinion.

Definitely looking forward to Avatar 2. I hope the underwater scenes are clear, with a nice distance to see into the depths like near the shores of tropical zones, instead of foggy like in the deep ocean.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (12-23-2015)
Old 12-23-2015, 01:07 AM   #20
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Star Wars VIII is May 26 2017.
You're right, thanks. I forgot all about that. That makes hitting the December 2017 deadline for Avatar 2 even more likely.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies