Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Pixels 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99
8 hrs ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.91

Prototype 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99

IMAX: National Parks Adventure 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.06

Dino King 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Under The Sea / Deep Sea (Blu-ray)
$16.84

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Captain America: The Winter Soldier 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.49

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.92

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 06-30-2019, 01:07 PM   #181
Power Member

Oct 2014
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
None of James Cameron's movies have the greatest script ever. They're just fun to watch. He innovates with special effects, not with plot.
The Terminator and Aliens have very lean storylines, not an ounce of fat on those films, which reflects on the quality of the scripts. Pretty much every supporting character he invented for Aliens became instantly memorable and it must be one of the most quoted films of all time as a result.

That's a great script in my eyes.
Thanks given by:
br3ttD (06-30-2019), FingolfinFinwe (07-01-2019), s2mikey (07-01-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #182
Special Member

Feb 2011

Saying there is nothing to Cameron's movies except effects is doing the man a disservice. Several of his movies are classics and a couple can be called a masterpiece.
Thanks given by:
br3ttD (06-30-2019), Cremildo (06-30-2019), FingolfinFinwe (07-01-2019), Steedeel (06-30-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 03:22 PM   #183

Jul 2012

Cameron has yet to turn to the dark side, like Geroge Lucas did. We shall see.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:07 PM   #184
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Saying there is nothing to Cameron's movies except effects is doing the man a disservice. Several of his movies are classics and a couple can be called a masterpiece.
Exactly. Clueless people are clueless.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:19 AM   #185
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
While I believe they were talking about innovation most of all, I have to say the story to Terminator 2 is awesome and one of his best films. The friendship formed between man and machine, when they are supposed to be against each other, was a brilliant story theme throughout the film, and great for character arch as well, as John Conner learned to trust Arnold's T800, eventually convincing his mother to do the same, where she was originally totally against him. Great stuff.

In Avatar, we see a man who cannot walk, find freedom through his Avatar Na'vi body, and go from wanting legs to walk again as a human, to betraying the trust of the Military leader who was going to give him legs again, to instead, siding with the Na'vi after he found more joy in that form, as well as falling in love with Nateri (spelling), while banding many tribes together to fight impossible odds of man's war machines versus creatures.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:23 AM   #186
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

If 2 and 3 do well, we get 4 and 5. If not, we don't and Avatar will be just a trilogy. Either is fine with me. I can't wait to see what Cameron and his team have in store for us. They've spent so long working on the script, story and characters for the sequels that I have no reason to doubt that these sequels will be pretty terrific entertainment.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:36 AM   #187
Special Member

Feb 2011

Two of Cameron's movies are in my top 5 movies of all time. Both of those movies are sequels. The only sequel I have higher is Empire Strikes Back. I love Godfather 2 and The Dark Knight but I find T2 and Aliens infinity more rewatchable. Long story short, Cameron brings his A game for sequels.
Thanks given by:
levcore (07-01-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #188
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Future Earth

Used to bring.

He has not directed a sequel since 1996 with T2 3D BAT.

That was last century.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:13 PM   #189
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

But the two feature films he made since 1996 both became the highest grossing movies of all time lol.

You don't spend over 10 years working on something to NOT bring your A game.
Thanks given by:
GreatGreg (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #190
Power Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daredevil666 View Post
Used to bring.

He has not directed a sequel since 1996 with T2 3D BAT.

That was last century.
let's just wait and see.
Thanks given by:
levcore (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 02:45 PM   #191
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Planning out one movie is tough enough, but trying to envision 4 additional movies while filming for all four, and then somehow believing you won't need to do many reshoots when adding in scenes that round out the plot, seems overwhelming and too great of a challenge to tackle, when there is so much money and risk involved. It's possible taking on 4 movies reduces the budget, than if they were started separately. So maybe that's the reasoning behind 4 sequels, which is honestly jumping ahead maybe too far.

Then again, maybe this is how TV series are produced, but in the case of Avatar 2, 3, 4 and 5, just a bit more money involved. Thinking of the recent Game of Thrones series, where each episode was said to be like a film in itself, I guess that's more acceptable in filmmaking these days.

Either way, I hope the best for the series. It's imaginative, and I like the first film and the 3D too.
Thanks given by:
levcore (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 02:47 PM   #192
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Just think though, they'll have spent longer developing Avatar 2 to 5 than was spent developing and producing the entire Game of Thrones show.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:42 PM   #193
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2017
Knowhere

It better be the Godfather 2 of sequels considering the amount of years he has taken.
Thanks given by:
infiniteCR (07-09-2019), levcore (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #194
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

So we basically trusted Lucas and he delivered a lacklustre (albeit original) prequel trilogy.

However, Lucas was never really a good director and is probably better suited as a writer.

Cameron however has proven time and again to be a very capable writer and director. His sense of storytelling is very straightforward and plucks at the right heartstrings to make believable and empathetic characters. That's really his strength.

The fact that he can deliver a good action movie (with good choreography, sense of spatial distance, etc) is really secondary.

People don't go back to watch ALIENS to see the Alien. They go back to see Ripley and that Hudson guy who freaks out after being outnumbered.

The same goes for TRUE LIES, AVATAR, TITANIC, T2, THE ABYSS, etc.

Not sure if this will win back 3D fans, but Cameron knows what he's doing to create an immersive 3D experience.

Do you ever wonder why people still like to watch AVATAR in 3D?
Thanks given by:
levcore (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #195
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
People don't go back to watch ALIENS to see the Alien. They go back to see Ripley and that Hudson guy who freaks out after being outnumbered.

Titanic is an utter bore for the vast majority of the ~3hour runtime. You couldn’t pay me enough to watch that again.

Quote:
Because the 2D version is utter crap!
Old 07-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #196
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Lord View Post
It better be the Godfather 2 of sequels considering the amount of years he has taken.
Or more appropriately the Aliens or Terminator 2 of sequels.
Thanks given by:
GreatGreg (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 11:26 PM   #197
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

Quote:
So we basically trusted Lucas and he delivered a lacklustre (albeit original) prequel trilogy.

However, Lucas was never really a good director and is probably better suited as a writer.

Cameron however has proven time and again to be a very capable writer and director. His sense of storytelling is very straightforward and plucks at the right heartstrings to make believable and empathetic characters. That's really his strength.

The fact that he can deliver a good action movie (with good choreography, sense of spatial distance, etc) is really secondary.

Not sure if this will win back 3D fans, but Cameron knows what he's doing to create an immersive 3D experience.

i watch the 3D version for all movies who has 3D versions. Except Solo
Thanks given by:
GreatGreg (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:12 AM   #198
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
i watch the 3D version for all movies who has 3D versions. Except Solo
As do I, but have you ever wondered why AVATAR was such an influential 3D movie?

Cameron is quite adept at making great narratives and great action sequences.

He is also a master at creating in-depth immersive environments, such as the one found on Pandora.

I think a lot of the appeal to AVATAR and what pushed it through the 3D barrier is its immersive take on planet Pandora. It is an ideal setting for 3D. Multiple layers of depth over top of one another in a jungle setting. Breathtaking waterfalls and floating mountains really maximize the depth perception in 3D. It was quite a stroke of genius for him to include such a lush and vibrant environment in which to set his epic story.

I expect to see more exploitation of 3D environments in the sequels.

That is something that was designed into the movie from Day One. You can't just 3D-convert an existing movie and get the same effect. I only wish more directors would tap into this.
Thanks given by:
levcore (07-11-2019), mredman (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #199
Blu-ray Archduke

Jun 2011
Dryland

Yes exactly, well said.

I think Avatar's success was also due to being a universal story that anyone can appreciate essentially, young or old. You may not be a big sci fi fan but you can certainly enjoy the story and concept in Avatar. It also combines the heavy sci fi stuff with a lot of tribal elements, with the Navi etc. so it's like a combination of the old and new and everyone can get behind the struggle when those two are pitted against each other as they are in Avatar.

My parents couldn't care less about Avengers, they haven't seen any of them but they enjoyed Avatar, despite neither being big sci fi fans.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #200
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008

Quote:
As do I, but have you ever wondered why AVATAR was such an influential 3D movie?

Cameron is quite adept at making great narratives and great action sequences.

He is also a master at creating in-depth immersive environments, such as the one found on Pandora.

I think a lot of the appeal to AVATAR and what pushed it through the 3D barrier is its immersive take on planet Pandora. It is an ideal setting for 3D. Multiple layers of depth over top of one another in a jungle setting. Breathtaking waterfalls and floating mountains really maximize the depth perception in 3D. It was quite a stroke of genius for him to include such a lush and vibrant environment in which to set his epic story.

I expect to see more exploitation of 3D environments in the sequels.

That is something that was designed into the movie from Day One. You can't just 3D-convert an existing movie and get the same effect. I only wish more directors would tap into this.
Yeah Avatar is still a top notch 3D Blu-Ray. Its immersive 3D at its best.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies