Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
20 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.31

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Orphen: Complete Collection SD (Blu-ray)
$10.99

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$29.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 03-05-2016, 04:26 AM   #1

Mar 2011
Default Importing collection from DVD profiler (new)

I started entering my DVD/blu ray collection into DVD Profiler Unlimited tonight. Seems like a nice program and easy to use, especially after I order a USB UPC scanner

A few questions about importing the collection to this website:

- This particular section talks about having the DVD & BD lists separate, how do I form these into 2 databases? The program puts everything into the same list.

- An older thread talked about a CSV Export plug-in that seems to be gone now. I followed this step and it didn't do anything
Quote:
You can import your collection from DVD Profiler. Start the DVD Profiler program and on the top menu select: "File > Export Profile Database...". Export as single file to a directory, click "Next". On the next dialog leave all options as they are and click "Export". This will create a xml-file in the selected directory. Upload the file using the button below.
- File size restriction is 8MB. I have, maybe, 1/4 of my collection entered into DVD Profiler and the .xml file is 6MB. How do I upload what will be a much larger file when I'm done? Or is there a different way to go about this?

As it is, I'm happy to have a good program to archive all my DVD's and blu-rays, but would like to have them listed here as well.

Last edited by Ar-Pharazon; 03-05-2016 at 04:44 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:05 AM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007

Filter your database by Format -> Media Type set to DVD (or Blu-ray). Then when you export your collection set Export Selection to All Filtered. Repeat the steps for the other format.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:32 AM   #3

Mar 2011

Do I have a different version of this program? The closest I can find is Sort By>Media Type>(Ascending or Descending).

Nothing else in the menus about filtering.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:55 AM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007

Looks like you might not have the Filters window opened/docked in your current view. Select View -> Windows -> Filters (Ctrl+F)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DP_Filters.jpg (38.8 KB, 248 views)
Old 03-06-2016, 03:41 AM   #5

Mar 2011

OK, I got that panel up and did like you said & got two different sized .xml files. Thanks for that. The export selection is now "Filtered Profiles".

Now, is there something preventing me from importing to the website? Or did it just not know what to do with a combined list?

ETA: It uploaded the blu-ray list, but won't do the DVD list.
Old 03-06-2016, 03:53 AM   #6
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-Pharazon View Post
ETA: It uploaded the blu-ray list, but won't do the DVD list.
The DVD section doesn't show up until you add a DVD to your list. Since the DVD category id is different, 21 vice 7, the Import link is different. Try this:

https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...&categoryid=21
Old 03-06-2016, 04:01 AM   #7

Mar 2011

That finally worked. I thought I was working from the page you linked to, but it was ignoring the DVD list on previous attempts. Now I see the difference in the URL's.

Some of the Farscape DVD sets didn't come over with images. Maybe I'll delete all & try again. The images are in DVD Profiler, same as all the others.

It also seems to be losing several items from the DVD database upon import. I don't see anything obvious in the information for the missing DVD's.

Last edited by Ar-Pharazon; 03-06-2016 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 04:51 AM   #8
Contributor

Jun 2012
USA 🦅
-
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ar-Pharazon View Post
That finally worked. I thought I was working from the page you linked to, but it was ignoring the DVD list on previous attempts. Now I see the difference in the URL's.

Some of the Farscape DVD sets didn't come over with images. Maybe I'll delete all & try again. The images are in DVD Profiler, same as all the others.

It also seems to be losing several items from the DVD database upon import. I don't see anything obvious in the information for the missing DVD's.
Could be that those DVDs haven't been submitted to the database here yet. Same with the coverart not being uploaded - I see several Farscape DVDs that still need images uploaded here.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:10 PM   #9

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil View Post
Could be that those DVDs haven't been submitted to the database here yet. Same with the coverart not being uploaded - I see several Farscape DVDs that still need images uploaded here.
I could definitely understand problems with the "The Stranger" series & "Airzone Solution" DVD's from BBV. Only 2 out of 7 of those even had a barcode. 4 more I was able to do via the "inserted disc" option, and 1 I had to enter manually. All these are missing from the import.

Wouldn't the cover art get imported when I do the upload, or do I need to do something else? Strange that all the Starburst editions of Farscape wouldn't have all the same info available.

2 missing DVD's are the first 2 Doctor Who specials from 2005. Not sure what the issue is with them.

One missing blu-ray is the non-extended, non-3D version of The Hobbit: Desolation Of Smaug. That one shouldn't be a problem at all.

Last edited by Ar-Pharazon; 03-08-2016 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:18 PM   #10

Sep 2016
USA

This thread was very helpful and got several hundred of my collection to import but only if I selected blurays and unselected DVDs. I still haven't gotten DVDs to import. I also haven't figured out how to import Bluray/DVD combo packs.

In addition I see several of my movies twice in my collection which is somewhat surprising. Any suggestions?
Old 09-03-2016, 08:27 PM   #11

Sep 2016
USA

Doing a second export of just Bluray/DVD combos seemed to let me import those as well. Though still can't do just DVDs it tells me "Sorry, no UPCs/EANs found in the database. You can add movies yourself to the database."

Also I have a large number of duplicates, some movies seem to be on my own list 2-3 times. While the total count is off by over a hundred, meaning others didn't import.
Old 09-04-2016, 12:30 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

Hi Scarab,

As far as the duplicates go, some studios issue more than one version of the same movie, but with the same UPC. Sometimes one version will have a digital code but the other won't, or one will have a different slipcover than the other. Sometimes a store exclusive will have the same UPC as the regular version. So we often have each of these versions as a unique entry in the database here, but then all of them get added to your collection, as the import program wouldn't know which one(s) you actually own.

Unfortunately, there probably isn't any way to update that other than going through each duplicate, determining which version you own, and then deleting any others that you don't own from your collection. Fortunately, deleting them is easy. Click on the one that you want to delete, and when the page for that individual Blu-ray or combo pack comes up then look for a film cell symbol directly below the cover art that should be highlighted in green. Click that symbol and a pop-up box should appear, and at the bottom of that is a group of 3 options. Click "Delete from collection" and it'll remove that from your collection right away. Then repeat the process. That might sound complicated, but it's actually easy once you get the hang of it.

I wouldn't know off-hand why some Blu-ray's and/or Bluray/DVD combo packs didn't import. Unfortunately I'm familiar with some aspects of the database, but not with importing. It's always possible that our database is missing some titles, but it's pretty comprehensive when it comes to U.S. Blu-ray's and combo packs, so perhaps there is some other problem? It can be somewhat quiet around here, especially with the Holiday, but hopefully someone who might know better will notice this thread soon, and better be able to help you out.

There is always the option of manually searching for those titles that didn't import, a search is easy to do. And adding them is practically done the same way as deleting them, by clicking on that film cell symbol in grey, and then "Add to collection". Perhaps if you search for a couple of those that didn't import, or list off 2-3, then we might try to figure out if they are here, and what might be different about them that caused the importing not to work.

As I'm not familiar with importing personally then I wouldn't know why you were having trouble with DVD's either unfortunately. We have a large and ever growing database of those, though since there are so many more of them, and they've been around so much longer, then there is a greater chance that some that you own might not yet be present in the database. They can be added, but first it would be best to import all those that you can. Again, hopefully someone who might better be able to help you do that will post soon.

Sorry that I cant do more, but hopefully what I've said makes sense and can at least help you get your Blu-ray's and Bluray/DVD combo packs straightened out.
Thanks given by:
Evil (09-04-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 07:08 AM   #13

Sep 2016
USA

Thanks Strapped4Cash, I am trying to clean them up now. Not sure why I have had so much trouble. I am still hoping for a better update to DVD Profiler that shows me which movies I own have Atmos sound, and maybe fix some other issues. Not sure how I am going to quickly identify which movies are missing from my list. I am going to start removing the duplicates to help get a more accurate count.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #14

Sep 2016
USA

I cleaned up my duplicates and found several missing from my collection. I also bought some more movies and did an export from DVD Profiler. When I imported it brought back all of the duplicates. It doesn't doesn't seem worth cleaning them out again.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:18 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015
Los Angeles-ish, CA

You're welcome Scarab. I am sorry that I couldn't be of better help, and of course my sympathies on all the duplicates being re-added on your second import.

As for identifying the missing entries then are you able to open two windows at the same time? Or maybe DVD Profiler on one device and this site on another? Those would seem to me the best options for comparing your collection on one site to another. If that doesn't work then maybe a printout? I know that none of those are ideal options, but if you can find the time, whether incrementally, or devoting a day to it, then I'm sure you could get at least your Blu-rays and combo packs squared away here, which would be great, and something that personally I've found very helpful.
Old 09-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013

A bit off topic, but is there a way to import a collection from DVDAficianado?
Old 11-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #17

May 2013

Sorry to renew an old topic but having the following issue when trying to import (dvd and bluray list are seperate).
Both my collections are actually bigger then 8 mb files.
Can i split them?
Old 11-10-2019, 08:34 PM   #18

Sep 2019
Honduras
Send a message via ICQ to MabelHesse Send a message via AIM to MabelHesse Send a message via Yahoo to MabelHesse Send a message via Skype™ to MabelHesse
Default Importing collection from DVD profiler new

Welcome

I hope you enjoy the planet. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to private message just about anybody. Were a friendly bunch

What do you do in Bangkok?
Old 11-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #19
Contributor

Jun 2012
USA 🦅
-
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MabelHesse View Post
Welcome

I hope you enjoy the planet.
Thanks, I've been enjoying it so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MabelHesse View Post
What do you do in Bangkok?
Thanks given by:
BuraddoRun (11-11-2019)
Old 12-11-2019, 12:47 PM   #20

Sep 2019
Egypt
Send a message via ICQ to HazelDruts Send a message via AIM to HazelDruts Send a message via Yahoo to HazelDruts Send a message via Skype™ to HazelDruts
Default Importing collection from DVD profiler new

Hello from the late night owl Great first post. So tell us, whats the best thing to invest in at this time? Wouldnt land be dirt cheap right now? no pun intended
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion