Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
21 hrs ago
Gladiator 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
3 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Braveheart 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
9 hrs ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.54

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 04-11-2019, 07:50 PM   #401
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Valkyrie's actually one of the very few TC movies I don't really care for. Not a bad movie, just more of a one-time watch. I'd buy the Dollars trilogy on UHD in a heartbeat.
Thanks given by:
Dailyan (04-11-2019)
Old 09-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #402
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

We have another possible MGM UHD from Kino.

Kino is planning on releasing a 60s MGM title from a label that are losing the rights in 2020. Due to these terms, Kino can't officially announce it until then. KLI have given at least three clues:
1. NOT released by Twilight Time
2. Received a 4K remaster
3. A "major classic"

Personally, I don't believe it's going to be a Criterion reissue because most of the 60s MGM "major classic" titles they have are either still fairly recent releases or titles they probably won't give up/let go (so we could probably exclude titles such as The Graduate, In the Heat of the Night, It's a Mad World, The Manchurian Candidate, and Midnight Cowboy).

A user did ask the insider if the title might of been released by MGM/Fox themselves but given a vague response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino Lorber Insider View Post
It could be an MGM release or one by another label. Sorry, but I cannot let this cat out of the bag.
I don't see it being a previously released MGM/Fox released Blu because the remaining "major classic" 60s titles (The Great Escape, The Magnificent Seven, and West Side Story) are owned by MGM themselves.

The only real possible title, in my opinion, for what it could be is "The Producers". It would fit all three of the Kino hints.

The reason why I had said "possible" earlier is that I had asked if this "major classic" would get an UHD and the insider replied "maybe".
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...ostcount=34803
Thanks given by:
DR Herbert West (09-20-2019), Gacivory (09-20-2019), Geoff D (09-20-2019), gregmtl92 (09-21-2019), professorwho (09-21-2019), ROSS.T.G. (09-21-2019), ShellOilJunior (09-21-2019), sonicyogurt (10-24-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 04:28 PM   #403
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

I really really hope we don't have to wait til next December for a release of a 4K disc edition when Spielberg's West Side Story gets it's theatrical release when currently it's 4K AND Dolby Vision on Vudu at the moment.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:12 PM   #404
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Denmark

I would really love a Raging Bull UHD BD HDR disc!
Thanks given by:
Doctorossi (12-12-2019), FilmFreakosaurus (12-13-2019)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #405
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Denmark

If either Apple or Netflix buys MGM, I think we can kiss physical MGM discs goodbye!

https://www.darkhorizons.com/netflix...sible-mgm-buy/
Thanks given by:
Paul.R.S (01-30-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #406
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Yes, not that we've been inundated with 4K stuff specifically from MGM anyway, but even the regular BD stuff getting licensed to everybody could dry up. Not good.
Thanks given by:
kristoffer (01-28-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #407
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Still trying to decipher what's broadly going on absent any trade stories or press releases that I'm aware of.

What with The Great Escape coming to Criterion, it appears we can reasonably conclude that there's some kind of output deal between Fox/MGM and Crit--it's less likely that those release are a series of one-offs. In the Heat Of the Night, Clarice and now Escape.

Incidentally interesting to me that Rocky, Bond and Clarice are all in 4K with DV on Apple TV. Maybe the most uber popular are going to Apple TV 4K with DV and everything else that's getting re-issued going to (1080) Crit BD (with Clarice the seemingly rare exception: it's got both a Crit BD and 4K w/ DV on Apple). Hannibal is increasingly looking like a licensed one-off UHD BD: Interesting that that is *not* available in 4K with DV on Apple TV.

I wonder if these deals were made, say, 18 months ago between Fox/MGM and Crit or if we've reached a point wherein Disney is involved.

Last edited by Paul.R.S; 02-17-2020 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:48 PM   #408

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
Hannibal is increasingly looking like a licensed one-off UHD BD
Geoff D’s theory (or perhaps it’s more than a theory?) is that MGM includes Ultra HD Blu-ray rights for the titles they license; it’s just that literally no one but Kino Lorber has taken advantage. The other titles named by KL as being explored were also from MGM: Valkyrie and the Dollars trilogy. (We know that Kino Lorber is looking at titles from other licensing deals, but we don’t yet know what those films are.)
Old 02-17-2020, 09:47 PM   #409
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
Still trying to decipher what's broadly going on absent any trade stories or press releases that I'm aware of.

What with The Great Escape coming to Criterion, it appears we can reasonably conclude that there's some kind of output deal between Fox/MGM and Crit--it's less likely that those release are a series of one-offs. In the Heat Of the Night, Clarice and now Escape.

Incidentally interesting to me that Rocky, Bond and Clarice are all in 4K with DV on Apple TV. Maybe the most uber popular are going to Apple TV 4K with DV and everything else that's getting re-issued going to (1080) Crit BD (with Clarice the seemingly rare exception: it's got both a Crit BD and 4K w/ DV on Apple). Hannibal is increasingly looking like a licensed one-off UHD BD: Interesting that that is *not* available in 4K with DV on Apple TV.

I wonder if these deals were made, say, 18 months ago between Fox/MGM and Crit or if we've reached a point wherein Disney is involved.
Dunno. If you're referring to the distribution-deal-by-proxy that they inherited when they bought Fox then that's going to expire in a few months anyway, June I believe. I think that's partly why MGM are actively flaunting their wares re: selling the studio, as once the home video rights are effectively back with them then it becomes a more enticing package to any prospective suitors. As it is, Disnee are no more or less involved for the next few months than Fox were because the terms of that distribution deal won't have changed: the Mouse is the monkey, not the organ grinder e.g. despite the 'licensed by Fox Home Entertainment' credit on licensed MGM product KLI never speaks of 'talking to Fox' whenever he's referencing the deals they've done with MGM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicyogurt View Post
Geoff D’s theory (or perhaps it’s more than a theory?) is that MGM includes Ultra HD Blu-ray rights for the titles they license; it’s just that literally no one but Kino Lorber has taken advantage. The other titles named by KL as being explored were also from MGM: Valkyrie and the Dollars trilogy. (We know that Kino Lorber is looking at titles from other licensing deals, but we don’t yet know what those films are.)
I'm pretty sure that KLI said they had UHD rights to something like 20 films from the MGM catalogue, but they're not going to release everything they've got in UHD just because they can. And as you say, most other indies who licence from MGM don't give a crap about UHD disc so wouldn't do anything with the rights even if offered them anyway, although Shout nabbing Beer Hunter from Universal was a surprise. Probably a Kino-style one-off to test the waters, but as Shout have done deals with MGM before then it opens up some possibilities - as long as whoever buys MGM isn't a tech giant who'll keep it all for streaming.

So yeah, to me it sounds like it was almost included by default in the licence to Kino (or whoever) because letting someone else do random stuff like Valkyrie on UHD is one thing but a hardy catalogue perennial like the Dollars trilogy, that's something else and MGM clearly had zero intention of going into the UHD market under their own, albeit Fox-driven, steam. The Craig Bonds have since disproved the latter part of that notion but MGM's continued silence on doing any other UHDs themselves - this is despite remastering plenty of their major catalogue stuff in 4K HDR - has been deafening.
Thanks given by:
sonicyogurt (02-17-2020)
Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM   #410
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

On what are you basing the supposed "in a few months"/"June I believe" end of Fox' home vid distribution of the MGM catalog?
Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM   #411

Aug 2007

From Deadline:

Quote:
MGM and 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment have renewed their existing worldwide agreement through June 2020, the companies said today.
If you were to have searched Google for “Fox MGM June 2020” or “Fox MGM distribution”, you’d have found many supporting results.

Last edited by sonicyogurt; Yesterday at 12:10 PM.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (Yesterday), Paul.R.S (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #412
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Thanks very much.

What I'm hoping for is something written since the acquisition of Fox' entertainment assets. A June 2016 piece saying the "existing agreement" has been renewed doesn't contemplate what's happened since. And it's extremely unlikely that the deal brokered some twenty years ago contemplated the unprecedented acquisition of one of the Big Six by another.

(Although I don't see "many supporting results" in the first two pages of hits when I Google "Fox MGM distribution," I do see a 2003 piece on Bloomberg that says MGM clawed back international distrib rights in Australia, France, Germany and the United Kingdom. Without even having to Google, I've seen Deadline pieces in recent times about Birnbaum's and Barber's departures in my regular reading. In other words, if those news items hit the trades or even mainstream press, it stood/stands to reason if not to truth to me that something as mega major as the possible impact that the acquisition of the Fox' entertainment assets by Disney on MGM's home vid distrib agreement with Fox would have been something I'd have perhaps seen since that deal was announced--ironically, perhaps even at Deadline--in that same regular reading and without even having to Google for it now.)

Last edited by Paul.R.S; Yesterday at 12:45 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM   #413
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Disnee haven't bothered changing the rights for Fox's distribution agreement with LFL (which also runs out this year, May I think?) hence the upcoming UHDs of Star Wars 1-6 still carrying a Fox Home Entertainment copyright, so I can't see them changing anything when it comes to the Fox handling of MGM either. They're certainly not gonna extend it past June after which this topic will be moot (unless they just buy MGM outright ).
Thanks given by:
sonicyogurt (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM   #414

Aug 2007

I'm sure there's something to be said for Fox keeping some portion of MGM's catalog in-print. What else has this distribution deal amounted to in recent years, though?

Looking at the past couple of years, new releases/reissues seem to be limited to Craig-era Bonds, television properties (Vikings; The Handmaid's Tale), two titles under the recently-revived Orion banner, and Eli Roth's Death Wish. The last title that doesn't fall under one of those buckets looks to be the 30th anniversary edition of The Princess Bride back in 2017. Admittedly, I might be overlooking something, but still, that output is dwarfed by what Shout/Scream Factory, Kino Lorber, and Arrow have mined from MGM's library.

Last edited by sonicyogurt; Yesterday at 05:34 PM.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:47 PM   #415
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicyogurt View Post
I'm sure there's something to be said for Fox keeping some portion of MGM's catalog in-print. What else has this distribution deal amounted to in recent years, though?

Looking at the past couple of years, new releases/reissues seem to be limited to Craig-era Bonds, television properties (Vikings; The Handmaid's Tale), two titles under the recently-revived Orion banner, and Eli Roth's Death Wish. The last title that doesn't fall under one of those buckets looks to be the 30th anniversary edition of The Princess Bride back in 2017. Admittedly, I might be overlooking something, but still, that output is dwarfed by what Shout/Scream Factory, Kino Lorber, and Arrow have mined from MGM's library.
That's kinda the point, and is why I've mentioned it before about MGM pretty much shutting up shop when it comes to producing catalogue stuff on physical media (via Fox) in general, not just UHD. Christ, even for brand new releases they've been partnering with other studios so they can handle the pesky home video stuff e.g. Universal with Addams Family and the upcoming Bond 25.

Fox are simply releasing what MGM tell them to release. That's what distribution deals like this do (and is why people getting all excited about the Warners/Uni tie-up are missing the point). So, if MGM can't be arsed then Fox don't have anything TO release on their behalf, MGM are far happier letting the indies outbid each other for their wares and get a wodge of cash for doing very little, or just doing the new transfer and letting the indie do the rest.

So yeah, Disnee taking over Fox's obligations re: MGM for however long there is left is a red herring IMO when it comes to people trying to work out what the release patterns are, if any. That's why Disnee (or indeed any other major) would need their head examined if they were to take up distribution for MGM home video again: they'd barely have anything to release! But buying MGM outright is a different story, natch.
Thanks given by:
sonicyogurt (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:13 PM   #416

Aug 2007

Exactly. I probably should've made it clearer, but what I was getting at is that presumably the reason there haven't been any articles delving into the impact of the Fox/Disney merger on the MGM home video distribution deal is that...well, there really isn't much of anything to impact.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:19 PM   #417
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

That's a bingo. IMO it's a tiny footnote to the entire Disnee/Fox thing which is why it hasn't rated so much as a mention in the trades. The deal will be up in 4 months anyway.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists