Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
The Gentlemen 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
6 hrs ago
Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99
22 hrs ago
Ponyo (Blu-ray)
$21.49
5 hrs ago
Tom & Jerry: Golden Collection, Volume One (Blu-ray)
$21.49
11 hrs ago
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Dodsworth (Blu-ray)
$17.99
7 hrs ago
Titans: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
1 hr ago
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Old 02-21-2017, 07:26 AM   #1

Mar 2010
San Clemente, CA
Default Turntables_Amps_Receivers...wtf

Alright. So I've spun my head with enough info that I'm probably more confused now than I was before. I'm looking for the simplest answer here if anyone can help out!

I recently bought a turntable..Pro-ject debut iii matte black..followed that up with a philips AH 7861 receiver...and then finished with Klipsch Heresy ii's. I just moved into a new place so my setup was without the correct furniture. I finally got the furniture piece I needed for the whole setup and it's just not visually what my wife would like in our living room haha.

The first option I could think of to simplify the bulkiness was to switch out the receiver for an amp or tube amp or whatever small box amp I've seen in countless pictures across the internet. Knowing nothing about these amps and how they work, I figured they basically do the same thing a receiver does because in almost all of the pics I've seen them, I don't see them hooked to a receiver. So my detective skills lead me to believe I could hook the turntable to a small amp or pre-amp or tube amp or phono amp or whatever it's called and then have the speakers connect to that and everything is fine!

When I looked more into these amps I can't tell if I still need the receiver or not for everything to work! Aside from being able to tell what amp is better than other amps, I like the look of the tube amps from an aesthetic/size perspective (more important to the wife than me).

So my basic question is this...can I purchase a monoprice tube amp to connect the speakers and turntable to without the use/need of a receiver and without compromising sound?? Cause I love what I'm hearing in my current setup I feel like I haven't been able to find a clear answer in my research. thanks, sorry if this is ridiculous.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by astb41 View Post
Alright. So I've spun my head with enough info that I'm probably more confused now than I was before. I'm looking for the simplest answer here if anyone can help out!

I recently bought a turntable..Pro-ject debut iii matte black..followed that up with a philips AH 7861 receiver...and then finished with Klipsch Heresy ii's. I just moved into a new place so my setup was without the correct furniture. I finally got the furniture piece I needed for the whole setup and it's just not visually what my wife would like in our living room haha.

The first option I could think of to simplify the bulkiness was to switch out the receiver for an amp or tube amp or whatever small box amp I've seen in countless pictures across the internet. Knowing nothing about these amps and how they work, I figured they basically do the same thing a receiver does because in almost all of the pics I've seen them, I don't see them hooked to a receiver. So my detective skills lead me to believe I could hook the turntable to a small amp or pre-amp or tube amp or phono amp or whatever it's called and then have the speakers connect to that and everything is fine!

When I looked more into these amps I can't tell if I still need the receiver or not for everything to work! Aside from being able to tell what amp is better than other amps, I like the look of the tube amps from an aesthetic/size perspective (more important to the wife than me).

So my basic question is this...can I purchase a monoprice tube amp to connect the speakers and turntable to without the use/need of a receiver and without compromising sound?? Cause I love what I'm hearing in my current setup I feel like I haven't been able to find a clear answer in my research. thanks, sorry if this is ridiculous.
First off ............................. For me, I'd love to see a photo of what you're currently working with and know the reasons for your "better halves" angst. Because there are many different solutions to your problem,some of which might cause more issues than solve
Old 02-21-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE

yes you can. The monoprice tube amp has one input marked cd that you could plug your turntable into but you must have a phono pre amp as well or a built in phono amp on your turntable. You must understand that tubes can run hot, need time to break in and using different tubes will provide better sound. Two hundred bucks is cheap for a hybrid tube amp and most likely will sound cheap. So be prepared to spend on tube upgrades or look for something that provides a a lot more than one input. There are receivers with built in phono stages and some very nice integrated amps as well. I like Monoprice for cables but .....

The old Phillips you have is all analog and those old receivers kick ass with turntables. Just so you know.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:14 PM   #4

Mar 2010
San Clemente, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeRuss View Post
First off ............................. For me, I'd love to see a photo of what you're currently working with and know the reasons for your "better halves" angst. Because there are many different solutions to your problem,some of which might cause more issues than solve
here are some photos. we agree that it's fine...but seems to tall to me. So I was thinking if i remove the receiver and put a tube amp or smaller next to the turntable it will feel less....box-y. I tried putting the receiver and turntable next to each other instead of on top but it was just a bit too much. There will eventually be a picture of some kind on the wall above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4271.jpg (80.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4272.jpg (83.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4273.jpg (83.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-22-2017, 12:19 AM   #5
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Originally Posted by astb41 View Post
here are some photos. we agree that it's fine...but seems to tall to me. So I was thinking if i remove the receiver and put a tube amp or smaller next to the turntable it will feel less....box-y. I tried putting the receiver and turntable next to each other instead of on top but it was just a bit too much. There will eventually be a picture of some kind on the wall above.
............................ Personally ...... I think that setup of yours is absolutely gorgeous the way it is
Old 02-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #6
Special Member

Oct 2009
Deep Space

Nice clean setup... I like
Old 02-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE

I wouldn't leave the TT on top of the receiver. The heat isn't good for the table and the receiver needs to have the top vents clear. You can put a small shelf on the wall above the receiver. Rega and others make some nice ones and can be found used as well.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #8
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher View Post
I wouldn't leave the TT on top of the receiver. The heat isn't good for the table and the receiver needs to have the top vents clear. You can put a small shelf on the wall above the receiver. Rega and others make some nice ones and can be found used as well.
Although I agree with you in principle .......... I don't think that would be much of an issue being there's a couple of inches clearance between the two units and the receiver has a lower powered AB amplifier and no venting on the top.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music