Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
15 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
52 min ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
13 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99
15 hrs ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Orphen: Complete Collection SD (Blu-ray)
$10.99

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Motherless Brooklyn (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Why Don't You Just Die! (Blu-ray)
$21.99
6 hrs ago
Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$29.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Old 06-20-2017, 09:12 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Default recommend some quality tabletop speakers for my turntable.

OK so I think I'm ready to take the next step in upgrading my rig. Currently I have my Pro Ject Debut Carbon DC turntable going through a Cambridge pre-amp, a Sony home theater receiver with some passive Polk Audio speakers and a subwoofer connected. My goal here is to get a quality pair of active desktop speakers that will be an upgrade in sound to what I currently have and hopefully not have to rely on a separate subwoofer for my bass. My sound preference I guess would be best described as warm clarity with "punch."
Old 06-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Seriously guys? NO feedback whatsoever??
Old 06-22-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
Expert Member

Aug 2011

I dont have any suggestions simply because I dont see the cost/performance benefit of you getting active speakers if you already have a receiver. I'd just buy better speakers to replace the Polks. Even if youre looking for a separate setup for your turntable I'm not a fan of active speakers for "hifi" use simply from a convenience side of things. Most active speakers in my experience have had limited inputs and no remote volume control.

Active monitors if you already have studio type gear/ways to route/control things, sure, but I dont understand this current trend of active for turntables.

Just my 2c.
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 10:06 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
MSG CHASE BRIDGE

I use the A2's with my PC ..you may want a larger set..nice sale on some demos here also

http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=151
Old 06-23-2017, 02:50 AM   #5
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
I dont have any suggestions simply because I dont see the cost/performance benefit of you getting active speakers if you already have a receiver. I'd just buy better speakers to replace the Polks. Even if youre looking for a separate setup for your turntable I'm not a fan of active speakers for "hifi" use simply from a convenience side of things. Most active speakers in my experience have had limited inputs and no remote volume control.

Active monitors if you already have studio type gear/ways to route/control things, sure, but I dont understand this current trend of active for turntables.

Just my 2c.
I guess my thinking was going to a quality pair of active speakers would improve sound because It's removing a component out of the sound chain, which is my digital home theater receiver. I thought by taking that factor away it would get me closer to a more pure "analog" sound since some have told me I'm completely negating by running my turn table through my digital receiver.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:41 AM   #6
Expert Member

Aug 2011

Without knowing what model receiver you're using I highly doubt it's degrading the analog signal. As long as youre using just RCA cables from your preamp into your receiver I've never heard any receiver converting that to digital or anything (unless you're purposely transferring to your computer).

The hifi/audiophile world is full of many opinions, but long story short, in my opinion, unless you're using a noticeably terrible amplifier/receiver or it doesn't have the options you desire, I'd say stick with it and invest in better speakers if you're unhappy with the sound. Speakers will make the biggest difference.
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 05:45 AM   #7
Expert Member

Aug 2011

Another note about the whole "digital" receiver thing. Even if a receiver has digital inputs (HDMI, optical, etc), that does not inherently mean they have anything to do with the other analog inputs (any input with red and white rca type connectors).
Old 06-23-2017, 03:34 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Another note about the whole "digital" receiver thing. Even if a receiver has digital inputs (HDMI, optical, etc), that does not inherently mean they have anything to do with the other analog inputs (any input with red and white rca type connectors).
Thanks for the information! I don't know the exact model but my receiver is probably considered a mid-level Sony HT receiver (I think I paid 300.00-350.00 for it). It doesn't have a Phono input but I am running my turn table through a Cambridge Audio pre amp to the receiver via component cables. My speakers are Polk Audio RM-101's. They're not bad, but not exactly mind-blowing either. I do have a separate subwoofer connected as well.

If you say I should stick with my current set up and just upgrade the passive speakers, what would you recommend? What would be a sensible upgrade that would be noticeable but not destroy my wallet?
Old 06-27-2017, 08:08 AM   #9
Expert Member

Aug 2011

I used to use a pair of these

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...ers-black-demo

https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers...r-awfdia102blk

I was very happy with them, personally. They wont be as bassy as a dedicated subwoofer, but for bookshelf speakers they fill up a small to medium sized room nicely. And theyre quite a steal these days, especially that demo pair. They definitely are on the warmer side of things, sound wise, not a super analytical sounding speaker. I assume you could still use your sub with these, just might need to adjust the crossover if thats an option.

Theres a million speakers out there, I very much recommend reading around and demo'ing whatever you can. In the end, whatever sounds great to you is what you should go for.
Thanks given by:
DangeRuss (07-03-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music