Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
19 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.31

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99

Orphen: Complete Collection SD (Blu-ray)
$10.99

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$29.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Scandinavia

Old 09-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #1

Apr 2009
Tristan da Cunha
Default Where are the classics?!

My partner is over in Norway and I thought I'd get her to pick me up some Blu-rays while she was there - I'm shocked to hear that titles such as:

Buddy, UNO and Kunsten Ĺ Tenke Negativt

Have no updated Blu-ray releases? What's up with that!!!!??
Old 09-09-2017, 05:29 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2009
En flugskit i kosmos
-
-
-

The same can be said for Sweden and Denmark as well. Even if we hear word of them giving films fresh new scans they rarely if ever make it onto blu-ray. Occasionally some pop up on DVD but seems like the interest in BD is low over here to warrant a HD release. Some Scandinavian films have popped up on BD in Germany lately but they're generally not English-friendly.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:54 PM   #3
Special Member

Aug 2010
Bodř, Norway

Yes, i agree. I want Elling on Blu-ray, but I can only hope criterion will release it later. They released insomnia which is Norwegian.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:36 PM   #4

Sep 2012
Sweden

Studio S will release Ingenjör Andrées luftfärd (also known as "Flight of the Eagle" on the 9/25
Thanks given by:
TheOneWithThePrize (09-11-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #5

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyTrix View Post
My partner is over in Norway and I thought I'd get her to pick me up some Blu-rays while she was there - I'm shocked to hear that titles such as:

Buddy, UNO and Kunsten Ĺ Tenke Negativt

Have no updated Blu-ray releases? What's up with that!!!!??
Norway is a small country so its not possible for studios to release old movies like the ones you mentioned on blu-ray as they will not sell enough copies.
In the last few years even some new cinema movies was only released on dvd...sad but true.
This will happen more and more in the future.......
Old 09-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
Power Member

Dec 2008

Same for Finland..that brings me question why the Nordic countries, even small as one, release a Nordic wide release - we have some 24-26 million people in total so the potential market is a whole bigger than the small local labels understands.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:31 AM   #7

Apr 2009
Tristan da Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeInPlease View Post
Norway is a small country so its not possible for studios to release old movies like the ones you mentioned on blu-ray
If that's the case then why do they have Blu-ray releases for Lange flate ballćr and Slipp Jimmy Fri etc?

For a small market, Norway releases quite a large amount of home grown films on Blu, unfortunately, a lot of them are crap and all the great releases are being held back.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #8
Expert Member

Feb 2009
Serbia&Montenegro

It's sad that there aren't several thousand cinephiles who will pay for classics in the countries with the best standard in the world. It is paradoxically for instance that Czech classic movies are digitized with the financial support from Norway and the National Library of Norway has played a key part in this project and there are no classic Norwegian movies on Blu-ray.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #9

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyTrix View Post
If that's the case then why do they have Blu-ray releases for Lange flate ballćr and Slipp Jimmy Fri etc?
These movies was released on blu-ray 7-8 years ago and when the dvd/blu-ray sales was still strong and at a time when even gas stations sold blu-rays.
They would never been released for the first time on blu today.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #10

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by djvaso View Post
It's sad that there aren't several thousand cinephiles who will pay for classics in the countries with the best standard in the world. It is paradoxically for instance that Czech classic movies are digitized with the financial support from Norway and the National Library of Norway has played a key part in this project and there are no classic Norwegian movies on Blu-ray.
Yes you are taking about that Czech "cinderella" 1973 thing but that is a very special case.
Its a huge tradition in norway that the tv channel NRK airs this on every christmas eve and have done so for nearly 40 years.
The quality on that was real poor before the restoration started.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
Expert Member

Feb 2009
Serbia&Montenegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMeInPlease View Post
Yes you are taking about that Czech "cinderella" 1973 thing but that is a very special case.
Its a huge tradition in norway that the tv channel NRK airs this on every christmas eve and have done so for nearly 40 years.
The quality on that was real poor before the restoration started.
I am not sure that this movie is part of the project but these films definitely are: Ikarie XB 1 (1963), The White Disease (Bílá nemoc) (1937), Krakatit (1948), Such Is Life (The Story of a Prague Washerwoman) (1928), From Saturday to Sunday (Ze soboty na neděli) (1931), The Good Soldier Švejk (Dobrý voják Švejk) (1956), Beg to Report (Poslušně hlásím) (1957), Joseph Kilian (Postava k podpírání) (1963), A Case for the New Hangman (Případ pro začínajícího kata) (1966), The Hop-Pickers (Starci na chmelu) (1964).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Scandinavia