Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Star Trek Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
5 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
4 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
22 hrs ago
The Rising of the Shield Hero: Season One, Part Two (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Idle Hands (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Blu-ray)
$12.96

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
15 min ago
Bombshell (Blu-ray)
$19.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 12-23-2019, 03:05 PM   #341
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
Amazon thinks they’re too big to fail, hence the awful service.

...are they right?
That's the way of things it seems. A company goes that extra mile, until they no longer need to. Then they stop trying, until somebody else comes along and forces them to at least pretend again. Early on, I had hopes, that amazon would be the exception, since they didn't have the overhead of physical retail. Sadly, they proved no different. Though, considering how they were always one of the higher priced online vendors before 2005 or so, I should have known better.

Amazon is so big, even as their public opinion has been wavering, they've virtually positioned themselves to be an almost indispensable resource for so many things you can't find in stores anymore, as well as opened up the US market to hoards of lower priced and/or unique offerings from China. Should diminishing public favor actually start to affect their bottom line, it would be so easy for them to turn things around again with no financial investment, such prospect no doubt would discourage an upstart from trying to take them on, should they even be able to raise the capital to do so. Walmart and others joined together to try with Jet.com. But even that didn't cut it. Of course, every "influencer" on youtube getting a commission just for unboxing a product, using it once, and linking to amazon almost exclusively doesn't help. I don't mind, when the vlogger knows what they're doing and gives a thorough, expert evaluation. But most of it is just silly people trying to get paid for doing nothing.

Amazon has been testing the market for years to determine how far they can push the majority of the market, or what they can get away with. So I think amazon being the biggest one-stop shop online will be the status quo for the foreseeable future, unless something happens really controversial. They're basically ebay now, but with VASTLY higher consumer and seller confidence. And they still sell some things themselves. Specialty retailers often offer better buys, always a bigger selection, and MUCH better expertise in their limited product scope. So, if anything brings amazon down, it'll be having such ease of access to so many specialty shops online, which, should that happen, they'll likely eventually be replaced by buying direct from the manufacturers themselves, just like what is in store for the future of streaming.
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (12-24-2019)
Old 12-24-2019, 12:33 AM   #342
Power Member

Sep 2014
Stockholm

How's Amazon's packaging for larger orders? Thinking of ordering 4-5 movies in January. Will they come in a cardboard box or will they still use the bubble envelopes?
Old 12-24-2019, 04:21 AM   #343
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by trekky76 View Post
How's Amazon's packaging for larger orders? Thinking of ordering 4-5 movies in January. Will they come in a cardboard box or will they still use the bubble envelopes?
I ordered 4 Blu-ray sets a week or two ago and they arrived in a box with no protection. One of the cases was cracked.
Old 12-24-2019, 05:05 AM   #344
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicBD View Post
That's the way of things it seems. A company goes that extra mile, until they no longer need to. Then they stop trying, until somebody else comes along and forces them to at least pretend again. Early on, I had hopes, that amazon would be the exception, since they didn't have the overhead of physical retail. Sadly, they proved no different. Though, considering how they were always one of the higher priced online vendors before 2005 or so, I should have known better.

Amazon is so big, even as their public opinion has been wavering, they've virtually positioned themselves to be an almost indispensable resource for so many things you can't find in stores anymore, as well as opened up the US market to hoards of lower priced and/or unique offerings from China. Should diminishing public favor actually start to affect their bottom line, it would be so easy for them to turn things around again with no financial investment, such prospect no doubt would discourage an upstart from trying to take them on, should they even be able to raise the capital to do so. Walmart and others joined together to try with Jet.com. But even that didn't cut it. Of course, every "influencer" on youtube getting a commission just for unboxing a product, using it once, and linking to amazon almost exclusively doesn't help. I don't mind, when the vlogger knows what they're doing and gives a thorough, expert evaluation. But most of it is just silly people trying to get paid for doing nothing.

Amazon has been testing the market for years to determine how far they can push the majority of the market, or what they can get away with. So I think amazon being the biggest one-stop shop online will be the status quo for the foreseeable future, unless something happens really controversial. They're basically ebay now, but with VASTLY higher consumer and seller confidence. And they still sell some things themselves. Specialty retailers often offer better buys, always a bigger selection, and MUCH better expertise in their limited product scope. So, if anything brings amazon down, it'll be having such ease of access to so many specialty shops online, which, should that happen, they'll likely eventually be replaced by buying direct from the manufacturers themselves, just like what is in store for the future of streaming.
Some of the best business analysis I've ever read on this forum.

The problem with Amazon's status now is they have no natural competitors and enough cash to buy out any potential threats. It allows them to get away with mistakes and treating customers like dirt.
Thanks given by:
JurassicBD (12-24-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 03:17 AM   #345
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Kirksville, Missouri

From Twitter:

Old 01-21-2020, 09:10 PM   #346
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
Default Sick of Amazon's shoddy shipping

It takes a lot to get me mad these days, but I am at my wit's end, Amazon keeps on sending me packages with destroyed Blu-ray cases and CDs with cracked cases.
I'm afraid if I make too many complaints, I will get banned.
I am a Prime member BTW.
Two out of the three BD in my bubble mailer this afternoon were destroyed to high heaven.
I'm not talkin minor damage mind you, I'm talking major damage, like they were ran over by a truck or something or possibly stepped on.
With fewer b&m stores that sell media, I have had time resort to Amazon.
They used to use nice sturdy boxes, and and everything was always fine.
I can deal with some minor damage, but major damage is a whole different matter.
Whatever happened to quality control?
Old 01-21-2020, 09:13 PM   #347
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Your resident Dune, Star Wars, and war film expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
It takes a lot to get me mad these days, but I am at my wit's end, Amazon keeps on sending me packages with drstroyed Blu-ray cases and CDs with cracked cases.
I'm afraid if I make too many complaints, I will get banned.
I am a Prime member BTW.
Two out of the three BD in my bubble mailer this afternoon were destroyed to high heaven.
I'm not talkin minor damage mind you, I'm talking major damage, like they were ran over by a truck or something or possibly stepped on.
With fewer b&m stores that sell media, I have had time resort to Amazon.
They used to use nice sturdy boxes, and and everything was always fine.

I can definitely sympathize. I have been a Prime member since 2012 and it amazes how it takes 3-4 days instead of their 2 day guarantee. They started moving to the cardboard mailers for smaller items a few years ago and that's when movies/cd cases became more susceptible to cracking.
Thanks given by:
Crimson King (01-21-2020), strumdogg (01-22-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 09:24 PM   #348
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2009

One option is to wait until you have more to put in one order. The bigger your order is the more likely they ship in a box.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:25 PM   #349
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
Windy Valley, CA

I've been noticing the same trend and it's really put me off Amazon altogether. Back in 2014-2015 I would say 85-90% of my online shopping was done exclusively through Amazon. However, in the past year I've received too many packages that were damaged and/or more than a few days late. The part that truly kills me is that when they opened up a distribution center about 15 miles from my house and started delivering the packages themselves, and not via USPS/UPS, is when the issues started to really happen. For the past year I've been saving most of my Online Purchases for the Target B2G1 sales or via Family Video/diabolik or directly from the distributor.

With my prime subscription up in July I plan to take a hard look at what I actually watch on their streaming service before I decide to renew or not, because shipping is no longer the incentive it once was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy73 View Post
One option is to wait until you have more to put in one order. The bigger your order is the more likely they ship in a box.
I wish this was true, but in my experience the bigger the order, the larger the envelope, or they will ship them in multiple packages. Just a few weeks ago I placed an order for 5 Mill Creek releases and received 4 different packages (on the same day).
Old 01-21-2020, 09:44 PM   #350

Mar 2010
San Diego, CA

I buy way too much from Amazon and I have had pretty good luck with their packaging as far as damages go. I have noticed that they are using padded envelopes more these days and often on expensive items. I seem to have decent carriers though since I rarely get damaged items. CD's in plastic jewel cases are the most common damaged item I receive.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:45 PM   #351

Dec 2012

I recently ordered a Blu-ray box set from Amazon Japan, and for the first time the Japan branch shipped my order in a plastic mailer with barely any padding.

This was a 35,000 yen item, and it got banged up; I'm currently trying to return it, which is a huge hassle.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:50 PM   #352
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

Bubble mailers are the work of the devil.
Thanks given by:
VenomGA (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #353

Sep 2011
Los Angeles, Ca.

I've never (knock on wood) received a damaged movie from Amazon. Books and CDs however...
Thanks given by:
TravisPNW (01-21-2020)
Old 01-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #354

Aug 2018
Mechanicsburg, PA

I actually have pretty good luck from them. I have only ever had two items damaged, one of which was packaged with a 40 lb box of cat litter that wasn't even part of the same order, was actually a subscription item that they shipped early just to throw in a box with a blu ray :|

I had issues with Amazon Prime delivery more than anything but because you can actually communicate with the driver online before the item is delivered it has been better.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:54 PM   #355

Mar 2011

I have been lucky since most of my items have been in good shape. It does surprise me that I often get blu rays in a large mailer rather than a small one.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:59 PM   #356

Apr 2018
Renton, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
I can say the same thing... but about Best Buy and not Amazon.

I've never had an issue with any movie I've bought from Amazon... but I am at the point now where I am hesitant about buying steelbooks from BB because there's a 90% chance I'll get one that has a dent/ding in it.

For a collectible item it's annoying. I bought one last week and returned it because it had a huge dent in the rear (that is hidden by the slipcover/shrinkwrap until you open it) and when I got to the store I opened up the replacement copy right then and there and it also had a ding... although it was much smaller.

The rep actually told me "The employees don't pay much attention. They just pull the order and throw it in on the shelf."

Yeah... obviously. I ended up keeping it because I'm just tired of the whole thing... and yet I still just ordered the Terminator steelbook coming out next week... because I'm an idiot.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #357
Expert Member

Apr 2013

I refuse to order anything from amazon any longer. Too many damaged items.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #358
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2012

I got 2 packages from Amazon today in bubble mailers - one contained 2 Blu-rays, the other had 3 - all arrived in mint condition. I guess I've been lucky and have gotten very few damaged items in the 10+ years I've shopped at Amazon.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:19 PM   #359
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2016
California

I got 4 movies delivered today, they came in two packages. 3 movies in a giant bubble mailer luckily not damaged, and then one in a small cardboard box with bubble.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:21 PM   #360
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema84 View Post
I got 2 packages from Amazon today in bubble mailers - one contained 2 Blu-rays, the other had 3 - all arrived in mint condition. I guess I've been lucky and have gotten very few damaged items in the 10+ years I've shopped at Amazon.
You haven't been lucky. Damaged packages are the exception, not the rule.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping