Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
9 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
7 hrs ago
Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge (Blu-ray)
$18.99

The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
5 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99
14 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Molly's Game (Blu-ray)
$5.00
1 hr ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Lighthouse (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 02-14-2018, 01:01 AM   #1
Banned

Jun 2013
Default GameStop Slips Below Book Value

Looks like GameStop is continuing the streak of not doing so hot...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...tailer-worsens

This comes a week after naming a new CEO and firing two executives four days later:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/gamesto...ceo-1518188472
Old 02-21-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012

I could see Gamestop lasting another 3-5 years at least.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:26 AM   #3
Banned

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze_Chamberlin View Post
I could see Gamestop lasting another 3-5 years at least.
Yeah I'd say 5 years is my estimate too. I'd say we've got maybe another year or two before things start to get really bleak for GameStop. If they did price matching or some better sales then I think they have a chance, but otherwise not really.

Stores that don't price match or have really great sales are all going to be gone soon. B&N, GameStop, FYE... etc.
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (03-07-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 01:45 PM   #4
Special Member

Jan 2013

Writing is on the wall... the last store I went into looked like many stores I’ve seen on their last legs... majority of the store being pop culture stuff nobody wants, with less space devoted to the core business of games. Saw FYE and Moviestop do these things before closing up shop here.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:27 PM   #5
Banned

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman73 View Post
Writing is on the wall... the last store I went into looked like many stores Ive seen on their last legs... majority of the store being pop culture stuff nobody wants, with less space devoted to the core business of games. Saw FYE and Moviestop do these things before closing up shop here.
Exact same situation here with FYE. Realistically though, the pop culture merch is probably what has kept them in business for as long as they have been. I don't really mind the merch because I'm probably the core demographic for that type of stuff. I love checking out Marvel/Pokemon/anime merch while buying what I came for.

I went into GameStop for the Surtur Funko Pop last week for the first time in about 2 years and it was about 80% pop culture and 20% video games.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:31 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
Exact same situation here with FYE. Realistically though, the pop culture merch is probably what has kept them in business for as long as they have been. I don't really mind the merch because I'm probably the core demographic for that type of stuff. I love checking out Marvel/Pokemon/anime merch while buying what I came for.

I went into GameStop for the Surtur Funko Pop last week for the first time in about 2 years and it was about 80% pop culture and 20% video games.
Yeah, I got a GS gift card for xmas last year and didn't know what to do with it. Ended up holding on to it most of the year until one of the bankruptcy stories broke, then went in and used it on some Powerpuff pops. They didn't have any games that I would have wanted.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:38 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

That gamepass idea was huge , don't know if they are still going implement it
Old 02-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #8
Special Member

Nov 2010
Houston, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobipopcorn View Post
Yeah, I got a GS gift card for xmas last year and didn't know what to do with it. Ended up holding on to it most of the year until one of the bankruptcy stories broke, then went in and used it on some Powerpuff pops. They didn't have any games that I would have wanted.
I have a GS Gift Card that I got for Christmas and haven't used yet. I went into a store a few weeks ago and didn't see anything I wanted. So I have just been holding onto the gift card.......I guess I need to go to GameStop again and try to find something.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #9
Banned

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfett9 View Post
That gamepass idea was huge , don't know if they are still going implement it
Workers on /r/GameStop were saying it was canned.

Also this:
https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/14/1...ption-canceled
Old 02-23-2018, 03:41 AM   #10
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
USA
Send a message via Skype™ to Kellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin44 View Post
I have a GS Gift Card that I got for Christmas and haven't used yet. I went into a store a few weeks ago and didn't see anything I wanted. So I have just been holding onto the gift card.......I guess I need to go to GameStop again and try to find something.
are you able to buy gift cards with a GS gift card? i saw some amazon gcs by the register but forgot to ask
Old 02-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #11

Sep 2012

Digital and their stubborn refusal to price match/get competitive will ultimately be their downfall.

I have saved so much money over the years by avoiding Gamestop it allowed me to buy more games. Used games are pretty much a dead zone, when you price a used copy a few dollars less then a new copy, you are doing it wrong.

For example, a few weeks back, Amazon had brand new physical copies of The Evil Within 2 for $20. I was able to go to Best Buy, have them price match it, then used a $5 reward zone certificate to bring the total to $14.99, $16.04 after sales tax. That exact same copy would have cost me $64.19 new or $58.84 for a used copy at Gamestop.

Then again, when some idiot will pay $55 for a used copy of Call of Duty World War 2 when he could have walked next door to Wal*Mart and got it for $50 new, that's how they stay in business....
Old 02-23-2018, 06:54 PM   #12
Banned

Jun 2013

I think one of the main things keeping GameStop in business is kids and parents. Parents will always take their kid into a store and buy something for them or even just drop them off for a while. Lots of post on /r/GameStop are horror stories about kids left alone while parents do other shopping.

Once a kid turns into a teenager/young adult and finds out about online shopping they won't be supporting GameStop anymore. I wouldn't walk into a Best Buy and support them if they charged full MSRP on movies and didn't allow price matching like GS. The only time I would ever pay MSRP or $5 off of full price is at FYE for the latest Pokemon re-release like once or twice a year because I had to have it on release day, this was before my Prime membership.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:00 PM   #13
Special Member

Nov 2010
Houston, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellz View Post
are you able to buy gift cards with a GS gift card? i saw some amazon gcs by the register but forgot to ask
Hmmm.....I don't know. That is a good question.
Thanks given by:
Kellz (03-05-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #14
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2011

It's no wonder. Their site is crap. I tried to buy from them for the first time last month, and it was simply impossible to finish processing the order. My credit card ended up getting blocked due to the multiple attempts in different days, which caused me no end of trouble afterward.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
Behind the wheel of my Civic [DX]

I was told that a GameStop store at my shopping mall recently closed. I haven't been to the mall since X-Mas.
Now, I only have 2 GameStop stores left. Sad times..............
Old 03-04-2018, 09:39 PM   #16
Special Member

Apr 2013

Yeah I went into a GS for the first time since 2010 late last year. Still doing the $2-4 less than the price of the new one. All their profit is buying used games for super cheap then Jacking the price to almost new. Ill see one of their ads on social media and read through the awesome comments for a few laughs. The few PS4 games I own were all bought new for cheaper or just slightly more expensive than their used prices. Good riddenence I say. I wonder what business could possibly use their physical store space? Every store is like 6x50
Old 03-04-2018, 11:52 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod_inf View Post
Yeah I went into a GS for the first time since 2010 late last year. Still doing the $2-4 less than the price of the new one. All their profit is buying used games for super cheap then Jacking the price to almost new. Ill see one of their ads on social media and read through the awesome comments for a few laughs. The few PS4 games I own were all bought new for cheaper or just slightly more expensive than their used prices. Good riddenence I say. I wonder what business could possibly use their physical store space? Every store is like 6x50
A GameStop near me crazily smells like a pet store for some unknown reason. So if this one closes, I hope they open a pet store in it.
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (03-07-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 04:38 PM   #18
Banned

Jun 2013

GameStop CEO Abruptly Steps Down After Three Months on the Job

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ths-on-the-job
Old 05-11-2018, 05:06 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
GameStop CEO Abruptly Steps Down After Three Months on the Job

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ths-on-the-job
This isn't good news for the company.

"As part of its comeback efforts, GameStop has ramped up its e-commerce operations and added more toys and collectibles. It also acquired hundreds of AT&T wireless stores in 2016 to help reduce its dependence on video games." SMH.
Old 05-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #20
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2017
Cow Country

I considered buying a PS3 controller from them the other day, but I turned to ebay instead. Their "you'll get what we send you" listing on the website is almost insulting for the price. And back when I was buying amiibo it ticked me off that they wanted me to pay shipping for each preorder that came out on the same day. Walmart got my money in that case instead.

It will be sad seeing them go, since they got so much business from us when I was younger (and they were known as Electronics Boutique), but they've gone downhill and I can't remember when I last bought an actual game from them.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (05-11-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping