Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Sparklite (Switch)
$14.99

Baldur's Gate (Switch)
$29.99

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Switch)
$29.97

Planescape Torment & Icewind Dale (Switch)
$29.99

Darksiders Genesis (Switch)
$33.88

Dead Cells: Action Game of the Year (Switch)
$24.99

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games: Tokyo 2020 (Switch)
$38.99

Valfaris (Switch)
$24.99

Vampyr (Switch)
$29.99

Forager (Switch)
$19.99

Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch)
$49.94

Super Bomberman R (Switch)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 04-14-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
Default SEGA Ages titles being released.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/4/13/17...-phantasy-star

Japan confirmed for this summer, no other territories listed yet.

Not looking too good for a proper VC but Iíll take this. M2 is handling these and their output on 3DS was the gold standard in my eyes on how to reissue games.

Quote:
Sega is bringing a line of retro games, including Sonic the Hedgehog, Phantasy Star and Thunder Force 4, to Nintendo Switch. The company announced the new initiative, which will be released under the Sega Ages label, during a Sega fan event in Japan today.

More than fifteen titles will be released under the new Sega Ages lineup, though only three titles were confirmed at todayís event. Studio M2, which was responsible for previous Sega re-releases like the 3D Classics Collection for Nintendo 3DS and the Sega Ages series for PlayStation 2, is behind the Switch Sega Ages titles. M2ís involvement is good news for fans of classic Sega games; the developerís work on restoring and emulating 8-bit and 16-bit games is unparalleled.
Old 04-14-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
Studio M2, which was responsible for previous Sega re-releases like the 3D Classics Collection for Nintendo 3DS and the Sega Ages series for PlayStation 2, is behind the Switch Sega Ages titles.
And that's a deal breaker for me. If they are just Switch ports of M2's 3DS titles, I have zero interest.

Why Sega refuses to release the superior Christian Whitehead versions of Sonic 1/2/CD and 3&K (which has a proof-of-concept already) baffles me. After CW's excellent work on Sonic Mania, you'd think it would be a no-brainer to release those versions on Switch, PS4, XB1, everything. But no. I wish Sega wouldn't cheap out as much as they do.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

I feel like AGES is the reason Switch isn’t getting this:

Thanks given by:
Opips3 (04-14-2018), Petey Parker (04-15-2018)
Old 04-14-2018, 06:58 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinys Memory View Post
And that's a deal breaker for me. If they are just Switch ports of M2's 3DS titles, I have zero interest.

Why Sega refuses to release the superior Christian Whitehead versions of Sonic 1/2/CD and 3&K (which has a proof-of-concept already) baffles me. After CW's excellent work on Sonic Mania, you'd think it would be a no-brainer to release those versions on Switch, PS4, XB1, everything. But no. I wish Sega wouldn't cheap out as much as they do.
I know Whitehead fixed the iOS versions of Sonic 1 and 2 but how are his better than the M2 versions? The two extra stages?

Last edited by dyne; 04-14-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #5

Oct 2014

Interesting to see Thunder Force IV on that list, but for the love of God, Sega, will you please finally release Thunder Force VI in the US?
Old 04-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

I really don't get why the Switch didn't also get Shenmue I and II re-release. It's not a major HD upgrade, just a port to the PS4/XBone.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:28 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012

Quote:
I know Whitehead fixed the iOS versions of Sonic 1 and 2 but how are his better than the M2 versions? The two extra stages?
http://christianwhitehead.com/?page_id=23

Sonic 1

- Widescreen Support
- Playable Tails & Knuckles
- Time Attack Mode Added

Sonic 2

- Widescreen Support
- Playable Knuckles
- Time Attack Mode Added
- Achievements Added
Old 04-15-2018, 03:35 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Pretty ridiculous that the other consoles are going to get 50+ games for $24-$30 while Switch fans are going to be nickel and dimed on individual releases for probably $8 or $9 each (and yes I'm aware that the 3DS releases were good releases)
Thanks given by:
ChadFL (04-15-2018), dmaul1114 (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Parker View Post
Pretty ridiculous that the other consoles are going to get 50+ games for $24-$30 while Switch fans are going to be nickel and dimed on individual releases for probably $8 or $9 each (and yes I'm aware that the 3DS releases were good releases)

I guess it depends on what somebody wants from their roms. The packages on the other systems will be straight rom dumps per usual (maybe even with slightly wonky emulation) while these will have more features (if their past work is anything to go by) and be 100% correct. I imagine after both are released the reviews (or at least Digital Foundry) will favor this release.

Last edited by dyne; 04-15-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #10
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Parker View Post
Nintendo tax is spreading to third party games too.

One of many reasons why Nintendo consoles have just been for Nintendo games and the rare third party exclusive that intersted me from the WIi on. Still the case with Switch. Portability holds little appeal to me so I’lll get multiplats on PC or PS4 where they’re cheaper and often run better.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #11

Nov 2014

I’m just happy to get to play the original Phantasy Star again, is buy it on 3DS as well if it were offered. Perhaps M2 will let us switch to the FM sound version while playing in English.

http://archives.sega.jp/segaages/
Old 04-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #12

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Nintendo tax is spreading to third party games too.
I wish Nintendo had released the S/NES Classic Mini as Virtual Console bundles for Switch, and then just turn that into the interface for their VC. As it stands, if a VC is ever announced it will probably be the same $8/ game we see now for the ACA series. Iím not sure how I feel about the rumored subscription version of VC...
Old 04-15-2018, 05:57 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

The senior producer says the lineup could expand to include Saturn and Dreamcast. Reiko being a producer is certainly a positive. What a body of work she has.

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/04/1...mpression=true

Quote:
Reset Era member Dooble reports that the following was contained in a recent interview:

They decided after doing the last 3D Classics wave, it would be a waste to just leave it there.

Alex Kidd was chosen because of how popular he was on the Virtual Console in Europe…it’s likely they will continue to use data like that for deciding future releases.

Gain Ground won’t be the only arcade release. There will be more.

15 Titles is the start depending how well it goes they will do more.

There will be Saturn and Dreamcast titles in the future as well, if it goes well beyond the first 15 games.

Rieko Kodama is a producer on the new Sega Ages project…
Thanks given by:
Petey Parker (04-16-2018), theEXORCIST (07-19-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 01:55 AM   #14

Nov 2014

Quote:
The senior producer says the lineup could expand to include Saturn and Dreamcast. Reiko being a producer is certainly a positive. What a body of work she has
That is great news, she made Phantasy Star and Skies of Arcadia so maybe weíll get that game (or Legends), too!
Old 07-19-2018, 12:26 AM   #15
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...tch_next_month

Quote:
The announcement of Sega AGES a couple of months ago no doubt had fans of the company positively bursting with excitement; a range of digital-only re-releases of classic titles coming to Switch, AGES is essentially a Virtual Console service from Sega - doing what Nintendo'nt (and all that).

Now, the weekly issue of Famitsu magazine in Japan has confirmed that the first two titles for the service will become available in August. These games are Sonic the Hedgehog and Thunder Force IV, both scheduled to be available for 925 yen each - roughly £6.30 / $8.20.

Sonic the Hedgehog is said to feature elements from the 3DS version of the game, such as the added Spin Dash, and will also include the Mega Play arcade version. Thunder Force IV will introduce online leaderboards for the ultimate bragging rights, as well as the Styx Mode from the SEGA Saturn edition.

The other previously announced titles - Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Gain Ground, and Phantasy Star - are still set to follow these two games at a future date, with even more titles planned, too. It hasn't been officially confirmed that these titles will launch in all regions at the same time, but we'd be surprised to see western releases come with any delays.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:26 AM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Definitely want Phantasy Star. Hopefully all four come out pretty quickly.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:01 AM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/08/1...n-re-released/

Quote:
SEGA Ages has been a treasure trove for retro gaming enthusiasts. Japanese publication Nintendo Dream has recently interviewed SEGA Ages lead producer and director Rieko Kodama and supervisor Yousuke Okunari. The interview has revealed that there are over fifteen SEGA Ages games in development and some of these have not previously been re-released on other platforms.

New Sega Ages logo shown.
1 or 2 titles will be released per month after August.
Games will have online play. (may be a mistranslation)
From the initial 15 announced number, some of those games have never been re-released before.
More than 15 titles are in development.
Thanks given by:
Petey Parker (08-21-2018)
Old 08-22-2018, 02:40 AM   #18
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...tures_revealed

Phantasy Star coming to Japan in September with some QoL additions.

Quote:
Costing •925 (approx. £6.50 / $8.30), Phantasy Star will join Sonic the Hedgehog and Thunder Force IV on Nintendo's newest console. While the primary aim here is to let fans relive the nostalgia of playing these classic Sega titles - or to let newcomers experience them for the first time - a number of new features and adjustments have been added to streamline the gameplay experience.

One such example - and one that was probably expected - is the inclusion of a difficulty settings menu. Here, players will be able to make the game slightly easier to complete if they wish, allowing it to be more accessible to all.

Other new features, such as a hiragana text option that originally appeared in the 1998 Sega Saturn version, and an FM Sound Unit music player consisting of 19 playable tracks, will also be included.

The game has also received some quality of life adjustments. Dungeons now feature an auto-mapping option; placed on the right side of the screen, this will help you to navigate first-person dungeons with a constantly updated map. Encountered monsters will be added to a codex, allowing you to study them before jumping into the action once again, and an item list allows you to go over the abilities, equipment, and items found within the game.
Thanks given by:
heyadol (08-22-2018), Petey Parker (08-22-2018), professorwho (08-22-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 12:13 AM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Now delayed until sometime in September.

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/08/2...ntendo-switch/

Quote:
Those of you who were looking forward to the release of SEGA AGES Sonic the Hedgehog and SEGA AGES Thunder Force IV will sadly have to wait a few weeks. SEGA has confirmed today that the games, which were meant to be released this month, are now due to be released in September. Not a huge delay, but one nevertheless. SEGA says that they have been delayed in order to improve the quality.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:05 AM   #20

Nov 2014

Quote:
Now delayed until sometime in September.

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/08/2...ntendo-switch/
I wonder if that will delay Phantasy Star to October...🤔
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch