Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Blacksad: Under The Skin (Switch)
$19.99

Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)
$44.99
13 hrs ago
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Switch)
$29.99

LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 (Switch)
$14.99

Bee Simulator (Switch)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Mortal Kombat 11 (Switch)
$24.99

A Hat In Time (Switch)
$29.99

Fire Emblem Warriors (Switch)
$24.49
12 hrs ago
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Switch)
$29.97

Spirit Hunter: NG (Switch)
$36.99

Risk of Rain 2 (Switch)
$23.02

Darksiders Genesis (Switch)
$33.88

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 08-03-2019, 11:07 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

I got the game, and I think I'm gonna get started on it soon. This is my first FE game aside from the mobile game--which difficulty would you guys recommend to a first timer? I'm thinking Normal+Casual might be too easy, so I'm wanting to go with either Normal+Classic or Hard+Casual. Right now I'm thinking Normal+Classic, since it should still be relatively easy, but I'd imagine there's more strategy involved if you're trying to avoid permadeath of your characters.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:21 AM   #42
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticmoon View Post
I got the game, and I think I'm gonna get started on it soon. This is my first FE game aside from the mobile game--which difficulty would you guys recommend to a first timer? I'm thinking Normal+Casual might be too easy, so I'm wanting to go with either Normal+Classic or Hard+Casual. Right now I'm thinking Normal+Classic, since it should still be relatively easy, but I'd imagine there's more strategy involved if you're trying to avoid permadeath of your characters.
Normal and casual until you feel comfortable with it. You can always create another save file after playing for a few hours. I've never played the classic version of FE though so maybe I'm not the best judge of that. I don't like the idea of my characters not returning after they die.
Thanks given by:
celticmoon (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 02:33 AM   #43
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

Finished the game last night, I chose Black Eagles and
[Show spoiler]sided against Edelgard when the choice came up. I went ahead and watched the cutscenes of the siding with Edelgard story online after finishing since I didn’t think that was worth a full replay since it’s only a half different story with the same characters.
The second half of the story wasn’t as strong as the first half in my opinion but I still enjoyed it. I really liked Edelgard, Dorothea, Ferdinand and Petra. Bernadetta was ok but I never liked Caspar. It made me think about motivations and choices made based on what happened which I love when a story makes me think about it after I am done like I did with Xenoblade and Ys VIII for other Switch JRPGs.

Like I mentioned before, this was my first Fire Emblem game and I really enjoyed the gameplay. I know some corners of the internet were upset that the Weapon Triangle was removed (mostly) but I personally think it is a good idea and agree with the developers that said it doesn’t really make much sense outside of being a Rock Paper Scissors mechanic and instead the focus should be more on leveling and stat management.

I did all side quests, maxed my Professor level and maxed out support levels with all my students for right at 50 hours of gameplay. I didn’t recruit any other house students as I prefer to play with the students of the given house.

I can’t wait to see how different the stories are for the other houses, I started NG+ with the Blue Lions today and am enjoying the characters of this house more evenly than with the Black Eagles.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 03:30 AM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011
Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
Normal and casual until you feel comfortable with it. You can always create another save file after playing for a few hours. I've never played the classic version of FE though so maybe I'm not the best judge of that. I don't like the idea of my characters not returning after they die.
Thanks, I actually decided to go with Normal + Casual as you suggested. I figured I should just get acclimated with the game first. Just figured I'd go through my first go-around without worrying too much about min-maxing and completing everything. I'll just discover how everything works as I go along. If I really like the game, I can do NG+ on a different route and do a more serious go-around then.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (08-05-2019)
Old 08-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #45
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Finished the game last night, I chose Black Eagles and
[Show spoiler]sided against Edelgard when the choice came up. I went ahead and watched the cutscenes of the siding with Edelgard story online after finishing since I didnít think that was worth a full replay since itís only a half different story with the same characters.
The second half of the story wasnít as strong as the first half in my opinion but I still enjoyed it. I really liked Edelgard, Dorothea, Ferdinand and Petra. Bernadetta was ok but I never liked Caspar. It made me think about motivations and choices made based on what happened which I love when a story makes me think about it after I am done like I did with Xenoblade and Ys VIII for other Switch JRPGs.

Like I mentioned before, this was my first Fire Emblem game and I really enjoyed the gameplay. I know some corners of the internet were upset that the Weapon Triangle was removed (mostly) but I personally think it is a good idea and agree with the developers that said it doesnít really make much sense outside of being a Rock Paper Scissors mechanic and instead the focus should be more on leveling and stat management.

I did all side quests, maxed my Professor level and maxed out support levels with all my students for right at 50 hours of gameplay. I didnít recruit any other house students as I prefer to play with the students of the given house.

I canít wait to see how different the stories are for the other houses, I started NG+ with the Blue Lions today and am enjoying the characters of this house more evenly than with the Black Eagles.
It sounds like you and I feel the same. Dorothea and Petra have become two of my favorite characters, Petra in particular. I don't care for Caspar either, he's the least useful of my units right now, maybe that's my fault lol.
Old 08-06-2019, 12:34 AM   #46
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

So NG+ definitely speeds up the grind as it lets you spend your renown on not just statue renovation but also on regaining your achieved levels from the previous file for all previously used characters as well as your professor level. I used it to jump straight back to an A professor level to have more activity points for teaching and exploring, I didn't want to jump my skill levels right back up and make it too easy as Byleth is already the best character (at least he was on my team). I chose to play as a female Byleth for Round 2.

Quote:
It sounds like you and I feel the same. Dorothea and Petra have become two of my favorite characters, Petra in particular. I don't care for Caspar either, he's the least useful of my units right now, maybe that's my fault lol.
I tried my best to show equal attention to all units and still sucked

I guess I could have made him a mounted unit to get him a better position with his terrible range, but I already had Ferdinand as my mounted unit and another as my flying unit.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:03 PM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

I just accidentally skipped the entire month of September...lol
Old 08-14-2019, 12:15 AM   #48
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Anyone have any tips for defeating The Immaculate One? I am getting my ass handed to me time after time.

[Show spoiler]By the way, why exactly do I have to kill Rhea? Is she suddenly a villain? I can't remember what the deal was.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:15 AM   #49
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

Quote:
I just accidentally skipped the entire month of September...lol
I accidentally skipped a couple weeks, thankfully a quick soft reset through the button short cut was able to fix it by reloading the auto save.

Quote:
Anyone have any tips for defeating The Immaculate One? I am getting my ass handed to me time after time.

[Show spoiler]By the way, why exactly do I have to kill Rhea? Is she suddenly a villain? I can't remember what the deal was.
What level are you? I think I was low to mid 40s when I completed that. I kept my healers off to the side and would use my ranged attackers to break the shield tile and then hit hard on the unguarded tile afterwards with Byleth, heal up and repeat. Still took some damage but I completed it without losing a unit.

[Show spoiler]I believe she lost control of her dragon form due to exhaustion or something along those lines; what happens after the fight to her depends on your support level with her.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:46 AM   #50
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

My character levels are between 40 and 50, aside from Flayn and Caspar everyone is in mid 40s.

I got done playing from 9:30 to 12:30, trying every strategy I could think of and still lost. Third time today. I haven't been this annoyed over a video game since I was a little kid lol.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:21 PM   #51
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
I accidentally skipped a couple weeks, thankfully a quick soft reset through the button short cut was able to fix it by reloading the auto save.
Hmmm, I didn't know about the soft reset feature. Thanks for the tip. Though I think it was too late when I realized that the whole month had been skipped, haha. I totally thought it was just going to end the day, not the whole month. Guess I have to read more carefully... Well, at least I know for next time.

I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but I think I've quickly become over-leveled and it's been pretty much a breeze getting through any of the battles. Hopefully there will be some challenges ahead. I'm trying to use the lower-level units as much as possible right now.

I'll probably move to Hard on my next playthrough.... What exactly is the difference between the difficulties? Do the enemies have higher stats, or better tactics? Or both?
Old 08-16-2019, 04:23 AM   #52
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Finally defeated The Immaculate One and I can say with confidence that this is the best Fire Emblem game I've played. Everything was so memorable. The soundtrack and characters especially.

[Show spoiler]Edelgard's betrayal hit me hard for a video game character lol. I really liked her character and didn't see it coming. I didn't want to have to kill her.
Thanks given by:
Diesel (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 12:45 AM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

As mentioned previously, I'm loving the game. I'm still in the first part after around 35 hours, but here are my complaints so far:
  • I wish there was a way to sort the character inventories.
  • I wish there were an option to do the monastery stuff via menus. Running around gets a bit tedious, and is part of what makes me wonder if I'll actually want to try out all the paths. It would have been nice if they at least change the look based on the seasons so we get some change of scenery every once in a while.
  • What is up with those backgrounds during event/conversation scenes? They look like they came straight out of a a PS2 game, lol. Since they're static images anyway, I feel like illustrations would have looked much better.
Overall, though, I think this is my third favorite Switch game, after Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2. I'll definitely be getting a lot of playtime out of this.
Thanks given by:
Diesel (08-20-2019)
Old 08-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #54
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

Quote:
As mentioned previously, I'm loving the game. I'm still in the first part after around 35 hours, but here are my complaints so far:
  • I wish there was a way to sort the character inventories.
  • I wish there were an option to do the monastery stuff via menus. Running around gets a bit tedious, and is part of what makes me wonder if I'll actually want to try out all the paths. It would have been nice if they at least change the look based on the seasons so we get some change of scenery every once in a while.
  • What is up with those backgrounds during event/conversation scenes? They look like they came straight out of a a PS2 game, lol. Since they're static images anyway, I feel like illustrations would have looked much better.
Overall, though, I think this is my third favorite Switch game, after Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2. I'll definitely be getting a lot of playtime out of this.
I just fast travel around the monastery to where I need to go instead of running around; visual changes would definitely have been nice. I don’t have an issue with some of the conversation backgrounds but some of them definitely look terrible.

I finished my Blue Lions playthrough last week and am about half way through Golden Deer now, it goes much quicker the second and third times through. I really loved the Blue Lions side story and was hooked to that group’s story and ended up liking them more than the Black Eagles. They did some great work with Dimitri’s arc in my opinion.

I am also really enjoying Golden Deer so far just not quite as much as Blue Lions; it’s definitely a different perspective than the other two houses.

This is such a great game, I am 115 hours in. I may replay and go through the other branch of the Black Eagles path as well by just automating the entire first half up until the split. Depends on how long it takes me to finish Golden Deer with Astral Chain coming next weekend. Thank God work has been slow lately allowing me all that time to play
Thanks given by:
celticmoon (08-21-2019)
Old 08-21-2019, 05:40 PM   #55
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
I just fast travel around the monastery to where I need to go instead of running around; visual changes would definitely have been nice. I donít have an issue with some of the conversation backgrounds but some of them definitely look terrible.
I use the fast travel as well, but having to find each of the characters takes a while. Plus, I always feel like I have to find all the items, though I guess that's on me. It definitely isn't necessary, and I guess it'll probably be much less important in NG+.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:16 PM   #56
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

I definitely trimmed a lot in the NG+ runs. My first run was 50hrs, second was 40hrs and third was 30hrs.

I automated all non main story activities or side story battles for the last 3 months of my last play through because everyone was already Master Class and S rank in their proficiencies. In future play throughs I could probably get that to 25 hours or so because I wouldn't need to rewatch all of the Support Conversations.

I enjoyed the Golden Deer story and was happy it filled in some questions I had from the other two runs but Blue Lions is definitely my favorite still which is impressive because Dimitri was the one I did not like at all from the marketing.

I wasnít planning to finish the fourth route but now I may since I can just automate the entire first half of the Black Eagles and just take the other branch for the back half this time.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:24 PM   #57
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Good to hear that subsequent playthroughs go faster, which I suppose makes sense with all of the extra advantages you'd have.

How did you finish your first run so quickly? I'm still in January in the pre-timeskip, and I'm already at 40+ hours, and I feel like I've been going at a pretty brisk pace. I don't even listen to all of the voice overs, I move on once I've read all of the text.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:47 PM   #58
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009
-
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Good to hear that subsequent playthroughs go faster, which I suppose makes sense with all of the extra advantages you'd have.

How did you finish your first run so quickly? I'm still in January in the pre-timeskip, and I'm already at 40+ hours, and I feel like I've been going at a pretty brisk pace. I don't even listen to all of the voice overs, I move on once I've read all of the text.
On the flip side I was wondering why it was taking people so long for the game when I finished it in 50

I didn't skip any weeks at all besides the last three months of my 3rd run like I said; I even manually instructed each week and spoke to most/all of my class each month. I visited the monastery usually 2 of the four weeks of each month on average and did battles the other times; I only chose to Rest once on my second playthrough to see what it did. I do the same as you for the lesser characters for support conversations, but the ones I like more and the main story segments I listen to the entire dialogue spoken.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:26 AM   #59

Aug 2012
Toronto

Finished the game (Blue Lions). Game of the year so far. Would like to play the other houses but too many other great games coming this year.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:06 PM   #60
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgeneacepeter View Post
Finished the game (Blue Lions). Game of the year so far. Would like to play the other houses but too many other great games coming this year.
I'm in the same boat as you. I finished the Black Eagles and began a new path with Golden Deer but I haven't gotten very far in it yet. I'm playing catch up with some of the games I missed earlier in the year, on top of all the games coming out in the next few months. Not sure if I'll get very far into Golden Deer before playing something else for a bit, take a break and come back to it later.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch