Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
12 hrs ago
D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
11 hrs ago
Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96
22 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99
12 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Uncut Gems (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
23 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Bombshell (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Titans: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Scandinavia

Old 08-13-2018, 10:04 AM   #1

Apr 2016
Germany
Sweden Jackie Chan Vintage Collection (8 films)

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Jacki...lu-ray/210209/
https://cdon.fi/elokuvat/jackie-chan...-disc-44962026

According to the link, this collection will contain:
Project A
Wheels on Meals
Police Story
Armour of God
Project A Part II
Police Story II
Armour of God II: Operation Condor
Battle Creek Brawl

The description furthermore says "US together with NonStop are proud to introduce a completely new box set featuring the titan from the KUNG-FU genre, THE DRUNKEN MASTER JACKIE CHAN. FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER! In brand new 4K scan and restoration from the original negatives"

Price seems unbeatable. Any ideas, how to order from Europe? I noticed, that you can create an international account, but the blu-rays don't show up. If you try to add them to your cart, following the link, it seems that it is only possible to get a delivery within Finnland.
Thanks given by:
newgen2005 (11-13-2018)
Old 08-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #2

Jul 2014
Denmark

Hi,

I am also from Germany but I am living in Denmark right now. So if you are interested I could order it for you. But it is a bit more expensive in DKK.

I am also still waiting on the confirmation of the audio and subtitle options before I order.

(just ordered the Police Story 1&2 from Eureka)
Old 08-14-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
Special Member

Jan 2013

It was 17,95 euros as I pre-ordered it when it was added to cdon. Who knows what it contains because the price is ridiculously low.

The "In brand new 4K scan and restoration" blurb is already incorrect, some are from 2K restorations. Also the details list only English as the audio. The release is a mystery at this point.

It's a "Nordic" release, so it comes out in Finland, Sweden, Denmark and Norway. Not only in Sweden as the topic country flag points out.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
Special Member

Jan 2013

Also worth mentioning is that the release seemingly has Armour of God II as restored. Fortune Star has not announced that this movie has been restored. For example, it isn't listed in the Fortune Star 2018 showreel.

Nor does it appear in Fortune Star Youtube videos list as a trailer.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:59 PM   #5
Power Member

Dec 2008

I for one have this ordered and can post my toughts once it gets released. Any specific questions except BDinfo/caps related I can try to answer.
Thanks given by:
FlixLov3r (09-26-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
Special Member

Jan 2013

CDON updated cover images, the release is a major disappointment, I should have known, only English audio!

Thanks given by:
spannick (09-01-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
Special Member

Jan 2013

I'm pretty sure that the subtitles are dubtitles. What a load of crap this release is.

Did someone have a contact at Universal they asked something earlier? Somebody should contact them and tell that it's going to be a shit release.

I think I'm going to cancel the pre-order. I thought that maybe the subtitles would be worth porting to better releases like Eureka, but if, and very probably when, those are dubtitles, it's no point to port them because they wouldn't match original audio tracks that well.. and the quality would be worse. *sigh*
Old 08-31-2018, 06:17 PM   #8
Special Member

Jan 2013

That's interesting detail, however, who's saying that those runtimes are correct? It would not be the first time those would be printed on the cover incorrectly. I guess that until the box is released we can't be sure. Thanks for contacting them again, I hope they'll answer something.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:49 AM   #9

Jan 2016

English Audio is possible for all of course on HK Edits, as Fortune Star dubbed them completely new if the old Dub was cut.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:11 PM   #10

Jul 2014
Denmark

But honestly - why only the english dub?

That makes no sense.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:15 PM   #11
Special Member

Jan 2013

Easy and cheap. The suits in big companies don't care and have no respect. But also, most of the buyers don't know/care either. Cold truth. The "Nordic" region releases are almost every time just basic, no frills or thrills.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
Special Member

Jan 2013

Idiots.. and the people that are going to buy it and support these crap companies. I actually read few comments from a online movie forum in my country and there was movie collectors that wrote that they're still going to buy it, one even said that he has only seen the movies in English so there's no problem... movie fans/collectors. But, each to their own..
Thanks given by:
farzam1999 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-17-2018, 09:27 PM   #13

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Monkey View Post
Idiots.. and the people that are going to buy it and support these crap companies. I actually read few comments from a online movie forum in my country and there was movie collectors that wrote that they're still going to buy it, one even said that he has only seen the movies in English so there's no problem... movie fans/collectors. But, each to their own..
Ahh...you must be from Finland then. I remember those posts.
It is really sad that the nordic releases are usually very dull. I mean there usually are only the nordic subtitle options (I like to watch in english usually because for some reason in my country they choose to skip some dialogue and just stay on point...great experience) and usually ugly covers and packaging. The usual consumers don't even know that it can exist different ways or that the transfer might vary so of course it is easy to just sell these cheap ones for a quick buck. Such a shame really and that is why I end up buying most of my "classics" from amazon or such. Costs a lot more but atleast I get to have something more pretty on my shelf.
Anyway! Too bad for the english audio only. Used to owning these (except wheels on meals which I was really looking forward to owning for the first time) with both audio on dvd. Well I guess I have to wait a bit more.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2017
いえ の なか で

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Monkey View Post
I mean barring my VHS buying days as kid, when only English dubs were available to me, I don't buy any Asian release unless it has the original language track.

English subtitles are a plus, but not necessary as I can add them myself.

But why are we getting only English dubs in this day and age? It's a slap in the face of movie buffs everywhere.
Thanks given by:
FlixLov3r (09-26-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #15

Jul 2011
Sweden

I just got mine from cdon.com.
Popped Police Story in... it’s MPEG-2 encoded.
Thanks given by:
spannick (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 12:13 PM   #16
Special Member

Jan 2013

AFAIK, that shouldn't matter if the bitrate is high enough. Which very well could be since, I guess, these discs contain only the movie with one audio track, subtitles and no extras.

Tell us more about the box set? Dubtitles? Only English audio? No extras? Back cover listed runtimes correct? Have you compared the picture quality of Police Story movies to the Eureka release? Same problems with blacks and piss-yellow tint?
Old 10-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #17

Jul 2011
Sweden

Actually i haven’t seen any of these films before, so i don’t know about dubtitles. Anything special i should be looking for?
Only english audio and nordic subtitles. No extras at all.
I have no way to screenshot (only have an LG OLED and PS3/PS4), but Police Story looks the same as the Eureka release but with worse encode.
I’ll get back to you about the runtimes.
Thanks given by:
Magic Monkey (10-05-2018), spannick (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 01:24 PM   #18
Special Member

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by israels View Post
Actually i havenít seen any of these films before, so i donít know about dubtitles. Anything special i should be looking for?
If the subtitles match the English audio dub = dubtitles. Thanks for checking the details!

I forgot to cancel my pre-order, they probably have sent it already, but I can send it back for free. The only hard question is; would getting Battle Creek Brawl subtitled in my language justify paying 18 euros (the pre-order price was cheaper when the item was added to cdon) for this abomination? I certainly wouldn't want to support Non-Stop and Universal for putting out this crap release.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:07 PM   #19

Jul 2011
Sweden

The runtimes seem to match the back of the box.
I compared the subtitles to Eurekas Police Story and the Swedish subtitles are definitely based on the english dub.

I also just noticed that at least Police Story has a little bit of windowboxing going on.
Thanks given by:
Magic Monkey (10-05-2018), spannick (10-05-2018)
Old 10-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #20
Special Member

Mar 2010
Australia

Do they actually look good PQ wise?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Scandinavia