Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99
13 hrs ago
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96

3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99
19 hrs ago
Deepwater Horizon 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
1 hr ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 09-14-2018, 08:47 PM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE
Default My Best Buy just eliminated its movie section

Just came out of my local Best Buy and the movie section is almost entirely gone. There are a few small displays scattered around the store left but nearly everything else has been removed to make way for... empty space. Not even new releases were represented any more... just a random assortment of titles that didn't get boxed up.

I came in today hoping to see some hint at what titles would be included in a potential Halloween display, what I found instead was that I no longer have much reason to visit Best Buy.

Talk about a sad day.
Thanks given by:
deltatauhobbit (09-15-2018), El_Fez (09-29-2018), jdw89 (07-22-2019), Servo (10-12-2018), Strapped4Cash (09-15-2018), Undeadcow (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 08:52 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

That sucks. I know they have been downsizing to a wall display of 8-16ft in a lot of stores and a new releases rack. This is the first I've heard of complete removal. It makes no sense. The stores have areas of junk, nothing but overstock and open box.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Still remember when Costco and SC completely removed their entire movie sections. Every little bit counts and the visibility of people seeing movies on the shelves in stores is important in public perception. Remember when WM and BB both bad dedicated 3D sections in some of their stores? Now most people don't even realize there are still releases being made, albeit at a much slower pace than before. Plus, a lot of us do still enjoy going into a store and interacting with real human beings. If BB or WM completely eliminate movies in their brick and mortar stores, it could be a sad domino effect that would shake up the industry. We're no longer in the glory days of being able to walk into a BB and it basically being a playground with thousands and thousands of movies to the point where they assigned like half a dozen people or so to the movie section alone. Now we're lucky to find anything outside of newer releases and even then a lot of stuff outside of the major studio titles are nowhere to be found outside of the usual online vendors.

Last edited by meremortal; 09-14-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Buffalo NY

Not a good thing... This will dramatically change how much of my wallet goes to Best Buy (in store pickup when possible) which really sucks since every Amazon order I get is treated like a punching bag.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:58 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Tucson, Az USA

That’s too bad. Although I imagine it’s a local issue. “Sales are good, Keep it up, Sales are bad, let’s make better use of the floor space” Here where I live, there are 4 Best Buys. None of them have had their dvd/blu-ray sections shrink. Zero. In fact, the one I frequent the most grew by pretty much removing what use to be the music cd area is now the 4K UHD area. Hope I haven’t jinxed it by posting this......
Thanks given by:
Strapped4Cash (09-15-2018), TripleHBK (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:21 PM   #6
Special Member

Oct 2010
Evansville, IN

Encountered this last week in the city where I work.

I went in to see if they happened to have any of the Hocus Pocus steelbooks in stock and instead found the entire movie section had been eliminated. They now only have the New Release stand in the front, a double sided 4K stand in the cell phone area (center of the store) and a tall, narrow tower of random Blu/DVD titles in the back. I can understand carrying fewer catalog titles but I was gobsmacked to see the entire area was just... gone.
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 09:38 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011
Houston, TX

I also ran into something similar in the Houston, Texas area. Nearly all stores still have a movie section but one of the further away stores I went to had only the new release rack, a small cardboard (temporary?) UHD display in the back, and a near empty bin of ~$5 titles. They mentioned that after they remodeled the movie section was removed when I asked where everything was.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:42 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

May 2016

I was just thinking yesterday on early DVD days how great it would be to go to target, best buy and circuit city and check out all the new releases, because they sometimes has different stuff out (usually putting something out early).

best buy has gotten worse and worse over the years. I don't live close to one, so I really have just have target and wal mart. but they never anything. yet I still have to check out the movie section anytime I'm in one. there is technically an fye by me, but man is the most overpriced store. best buy has really shot themselves in the foot for a long time. they kept shrinking the section and then became surprised that the sales dropped?

which is odd, considering they have so many exclusive steelbooks.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:49 PM   #9

Nov 2010

All remaining stock to Big Lots and the Dollar Tree!! By 2020, disc media will be a niche market through boutique labels.
Old 09-14-2018, 09:55 PM   #10

Dec 2016
Philadelphia

Dark times... the only nice thing is I get free shipping from BB for being elite+ so if they want to pay the shipping on individual blu-rays, it is what it is. One of the stores I frequent still has a large section, but I fear its day are numbered. The others have shrunk, but not to the extent that OP describes. It is clearly inevitable.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:01 PM   #11
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Missouri, USA

The movie section at this local Best Buy has been incredibly small for years now, and I rarely even go in the store anymore unless it's something specific that I know they'll have for certain. It really doesn't surprise me at all that they're eliminating the section completely.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:03 PM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

What has blown my mind for years is that up until today there has always been an equal amount of empty space on the racks as there were movies. Once or twice per year a restock would occur and the sections would again look full, but more often than not it looked as if product just wasn't being stocked as fully as it should. How they could expect to sell movies that weren't on display is beyond me.

There was a time not that long ago (5-6 years) that I went into Best Buy every single Tuesday just to see what was out on the shelves. In recent years I was lucky to stop in monthly due to the downsizing of the movie section. Now with its more or less complete removal I don't know that I'll ever bother to stop by more than maybe once per year. Movies, video games, music cd's... these were the things that encouraged me to stop in and check out the higher ticket items while I was there on an ongoing regular basis. Without these items I have no reason to stop by at all until I am actively in the market to purchase a new tv/computer and even then I'm not all that sure that Best Buy will be at the top of my list.

I have no problem with consolidation and more focus on what sells (new Releases, themed titles during certain times of year) but eliminating the section entirely just seems crazy to me. Even the $5.99 bin was gone! There is now so much empty space in the store for those dumb Apple/Samsung pop ups that it's starting to feel like a different store. Best Buy has a wall of tv's but little to no content to play on those tv's. My own store isn't a Magnolia store either, so the product they do have is lower or mid tier product and not high end. If the plan was to at least offer a wider range of home theater/music products by implementing a larger amount of low cost and high cost products with demonstration rooms I could be a bit more understanding, but instead I have no doubt that my store will simply just have larger empty space areas and continue on with it's current array of products.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:07 PM   #13
Banned

Dec 2014

you guys do realize that Best Buy stores have other stuff besides movies.

laptops, PC computers, gadgets, accessories for gadgets, Kindles.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:10 PM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2017
いえ の なか で

Quote:
Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
you guys do realize that Best Buy stores have other stuff besides movies.

laptops, PC computers, gadgets, accessories for gadgets, Kindles.
You do realize that you are on a movie forum?
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (09-14-2018), Bradsdadg (09-14-2018), dannydeez (09-22-2018), DetroitSportsFan (09-14-2018), El Rey (09-14-2018), El_Fez (09-29-2018), GenPion (09-15-2018), ghostsofjoy (09-15-2018), InuYashaCrusade (09-14-2018), Katatonia (09-14-2018), Llaneras (09-24-2018), Luke Dodge748 (09-19-2018), Monterey Jack (09-15-2018), mpstjohn (11-12-2018), recS-12 (09-15-2018), Servo (10-12-2018), shinobipopcorn (09-14-2018), strumdogg (09-14-2018), Wingman1977 (09-14-2018), zman73 (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:13 PM   #15
Blu-ray Knight

May 2015

I’ve seen one location do that. They had the big new release island at the front of the store and a small section against a wall at the back of the store with titles A to Z. A few dump bins scattered throughout the store.

My main location I go to is a large “flagship” location with a separate Pacific Kitchen and Home attached. Other than the CDs the media section hasn’t changed in the last few years.
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011
Houston, TX

One thing I have noticed is that it seems like there are different formats of Best Buys; similar to Wal-mart having Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets, and smaller stores. My suspicion is that Best Buy is not wholesale discontinuing media sales but for some stores that are smaller or did less volume of home media they are shrinking that while (hopefully) discs will continue to be available are bigger flagship stores.
Thanks given by:
Strapped4Cash (09-15-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:15 PM   #17

Jul 2018

I've said it before and I've said it again... if the studios would just finally kill off the DVD format and rally behind Blu-ray, maybe there would be hope for physical media. Why are we still coddling people who hang onto a 20+ year old, obsolete format? This also goes for burnable media in the computer space. Blu-ray has been here for over a decade, pricing is good and it's far superior to DVD in pretty much every way. One of the big reasons I don't buy as many discs in brick-and-mortar stores is because there's still so much DVD inventory taking up space, and often times if a store will carry a particular catalog title, it'll be in DVD. Or it will carry a 15 year old DVD along side a Blu-ray and the pricing doesn't make sense. I work in consumer electronics and the pace at which people are recycling their old TVs and upgrading to (or adding) flat screens is feverish right now. DVD was not designed for the displays we have in our homes today. Rip the damn band-aid off already!

I also realize 4K BD will never replace Blu-ray, and it's really more of an enthusiast's format, but those two compliment each other nicely. There's no reason why a store has to waste space on the ever-shrinking store shelves with the same title in 3 different SKUs (DVD, BD and 4K) when many of them are combo packs anyways. Why studios still publish new titles in 3 formats spanning 2+ decades is bewildering to me!

Best Buy could stop carrying DVD, shrink their movie sections by a third or more and carry more titles than they do now, and we'd all be happy as clams.
Thanks given by:
ghostsofjoy (09-15-2018), Monterey Jack (09-15-2018), Petey Parker (10-05-2018), TripleHBK (09-14-2018), Wingman1977 (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:16 PM   #18
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleHBK View Post
Just came out of my local Best Buy and the movie section is almost entirely gone. There are a few small displays scattered around the store left but nearly everything else has been removed to make way for... empty space. Not even new releases were represented any more... just a random assortment of titles that didn't get boxed up.

I came in today hoping to see some hint at what titles would be included in a potential Halloween display, what I found instead was that I no longer have much reason to visit Best Buy.

Talk about a sad day.
So it’s not eliminated then.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:18 PM   #19
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Oswego, IL.

I honestly haven't stopped in a Best Buy in months. I can go to the same mall and go to a Walmart which is open 24 hours a day. Or a Meijer that's open 24 hours a day too. I can get movies at either of them at any time of the day....Or I can wait till Target opens at 8AM and go there if they have an exclusive.
Honestly 10AM is an absurd time to open. It's very competitive out there with stores with better hours or of course online. Why have such stupid hours....The only time they even have reasonable hours is around Christmas.

The only thing I buy from Best Buy is movies anyways. Not into video games. So if they drop movies all together I'll just take my business elsewhere (Not that it'll hurt them that much anyways since I don't buy there that much anymore).

It's just like Radio Shack. When they used to be a true geek store where one could buy electronic kits to build your own AM radio or whatever, my family used to go there a lot. Also loved that they used to give their catalogs free. Then they went downhill when it seemed that they just changed what they stocked. Gone were the kits, the stereo systems, computers and the like. They tried to appeal to the 20 somethings and left their old customers behind and it bit them in the rear.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:29 PM   #20
Expert Member

Jun 2011
Oswego, IL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homevideogeek View Post
I've said it before and I've said it again... if the studios would just finally kill off the DVD format and rally behind Blu-ray, maybe there would be hope for physical media. Why are we still coddling people who hang onto a 20+ year old, obsolete format? This also goes for burnable media in the computer space. Blu-ray has been here for over a decade, pricing is good and it's far superior to DVD in pretty much every way. One of the big reasons I don't buy as many discs in brick-and-mortar stores is because there's still so much DVD inventory taking up space, and often times if a store will carry a particular catalog title, it'll be in DVD. Or it will carry a 15 year old DVD along side a Blu-ray and the pricing doesn't make sense. I work in consumer electronics and the pace at which people are recycling their old TVs and upgrading to (or adding) flat screens is feverish right now. DVD was not designed for the displays we have in our homes today. Rip the damn band-aid off already!

I also realize 4K BD will never replace Blu-ray, and it's really more of an enthusiast's format, but those two compliment each other nicely. There's no reason why a store has to waste space on the ever-shrinking store shelves with the same title in 3 different SKUs (DVD, BD and 4K) when many of them are combo packs anyways. Why studios still publish new titles in 3 formats spanning 2+ decades is bewildering to me!

Best Buy could stop carrying DVD, shrink their movie sections by a third or more and carry more titles than they do now, and we'd all be happy as clams.
I completely agree about why does studios still offer dvd only titles. It seems rather stupid to buy a new movie on dvd for $20 when for a few bucks more they could get the blu-ray and a digital copy too.

I do like combo packs that come with a dvd though. Sometimes I like to watch a movie on my computer (which is just a DVD drive) so having the dvd comes in handy.
That's why I'm kind of pissed at Disney for dropping the dvd from many of it's titles.

Personally I think the studios could bring it down to just two combo packs.
A Blu-ray/dvd combo.
A 4K/ standard Blu-ray/dvd combo.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping