Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Star Trek Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
5 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
4 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
22 hrs ago
Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Rising of the Shield Hero: Season One, Part Two (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Idle Hands (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Blu-ray)
$12.96

D-Day: Normandy 1944 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Bombshell (Blu-ray)
$19.99

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 09-14-2018, 10:36 PM   #21

Dec 2009

It was reported that this may happen to stores that don't sell alot of media. They were just going to have the islands with new releases.
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (09-15-2018), TripleHBK (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:37 PM   #22
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2017
Cow Country

I do most of my physical media shopping at Target, but this is still depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeadcow View Post
One thing I have noticed is that it seems like there are different formats of Best Buys; similar to Wal-mart having Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets, and smaller stores. My suspicion is that Best Buy is not wholesale discontinuing media sales but for some stores that are smaller or did less volume of home media they are shrinking that while (hopefully) discs will continue to be available are bigger flagship stores.
When I worked in a convenience store, we had ABC and D stores. A was a mini grocery store with dine in cafe. B was your standard convenience with a MTO kitchen. C was a smaller convenience store like you'd see in town, with just a small selection of pre-made food and no kitchen. D was gas only with one employee a la Robocop. Best Buy likely has a similar concept as do most stores, breaking down what location sells what. My store had Magnolia when it opened, but that didn't last long when they figured out the median income was like 40,000.
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #23

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasRobert View Post
I honestly haven't stopped in a Best Buy in months. I can go to the same mall and go to a Walmart which is open 24 hours a day. Or a Meijer that's open 24 hours a day too. I can get movies at either of them at any time of the day....Or I can wait till Target opens at 8AM and go there if they have an exclusive.
Honestly 10AM is an absurd time to open. It's very competitive out there with stores with better hours or of course online. Why have such stupid hours....The only time they even have reasonable hours is around Christmas.

The only thing I buy from Best Buy is movies anyways. Not into video games. So if they drop movies all together I'll just take my business elsewhere (Not that it'll hurt them that much anyways since I don't buy there that much anymore).

It's just like Radio Shack. When they used to be a true geek store where one could buy electronic kits to build your own AM radio or whatever, my family used to go there a lot. Also loved that they used to give their catalogs free. Then they went downhill when it seemed that they just changed what they stocked. Gone were the kits, the stereo systems, computers and the like. They tried to appeal to the 20 somethings and left their old customers behind and it bit them in the rear.
I do have to say that, comparing these big box stores, Best Buy in my area is the one that seems to have the most eclectic selection of titles, and often the best prices. I've been finding myself buying titles there more and more in the last few months just from coming in and browsing titles. Selections do vary from store to store. The ones near malls typically have a nice large movie section and a variety of bins and displays throughout the store. The ones in quieter parts of town have typically one aisle with a lot of 4K and Disney and not much else. They're always cool about price matching too. The main Best Buy I go to has actually expanded their movie section since CDs went away.

Walmart is my second favorite go-to because of their ties with VUDU. Instawatch is a big draw for me. Yet their movie sections are kind of a crapshoot. They often carry a nice selection of themed titles and covers and some stuff you don't see in a lot of other local stores, as well as a fair amount of bargain bin titles. They seem to have the most competitive pricing on Disney and Marvel titles by far. Their biggest issue is they won't price match anything anymore, except their own website sometimes. That's kind of a big deal. If they price matched again, paired with VUDU, they'd be my #1 stop every time. The size of their movie sections has stayed fairly consistent in the last several years, thankfully.

Target is so up and down in my area, but I still buy a fair amount there as a RedCard holder. Their sections turn over titles incredibly slowly, but they often have good sales. Selection store-to-store varies wildly. Of the four Targets in my region, there's only one with what I'd consider a great selection. They price match right at the registers so painlessly, which I appreciate especially if I'm stacking a Cartwheel and the RedCard discount on top of it. Of all these stores, Targets are the only ones who ask me if they can help me find anything when I shop there, and they're generally helpful when I'm asking to find a title I can't seem to locate. The size of their movie sections has shrunk a bit but not to any concerning level.

Meijers are a truly forgettable movie buying experience. Their prices are always substantially higher than everywhere else, even on sales and new releases, and they flat out price match nothing because they claim they don't need to because they price competitively. They heavily favor DVD so I don't browse there and blindly buy anything because their Blu-ray pickings are so slim. Don't know what it is about my area, but their inventory seems to be in rougher shape than other stores, which is weird. There's NEVER any associates anywhere near this section, so customer service is useless, and if I want general customer service from the store itself, I can't get it between 10pm and 8am... even though they're a 24 hour store, so fat chance making a return on my way to work. We've only had Meijers here for less than a year so their movie sections haven't scaled up or down so far.

We do have a few other regional chains in the area, but they're 80-90% DVD, at almost near MSRP pricing. It's pretty sad.

In truth, the place I buy the most movies in my area is Pawn America. Prices are stellar, turnover is almost daily, and their selection is huge and constantly growing. My local one is actually blitzing out their DVDs to make room (thank God... Pawn America DVDs are in the worst shape I've seen anywhere!)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:47 PM   #24

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasRobert View Post
Personally I think the studios could bring it down to just two combo packs.
A Blu-ray/dvd combo.
A 4K/ standard Blu-ray/dvd combo.
I wonder what's cheaper -- doing one reasonably priced combo pack with 4K, Blu and DVD... or two or three SKUs like they do now. Go one SKU at retail - 4K/Blu, and make DVD an MOD (manufacture on demand) online format for those who still insist on it. Putting only DVD at retail and making Blu MOD is infuriating. I'm still trying to get a Blu-ray of Won't You Be My Neighbor and it's nearly impossible!
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (09-14-2018)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:57 PM   #25
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas_King View Post
So itís not eliminated then.
As stated numerous times throughout this thread the shelving is in the process of being removed or is completely gone in several stores but a few cardboard displays and aisle ends remain. It's hard to believe those items will remain forever without the aisles as I believe they just haven't gotten to removing them yet.

So while yes... there are still some movies in the store at the moment... there doesn't appear to be a movie section.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:40 PM   #26
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

All I buy at Best Buy is new releases anyway so this won't affect me, still sucks though. Nothing could affect me like the closing of Media Play/Suncoast/Sam Goody back in the day, that was the beginning of the end for my shopping habits. I miss those days but times have changed, digital has arrived and it is here to stay if we like it or not.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:13 AM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Blu's still probably the most stable format out there for catalog depth and bang for the buck performance. And it's been out long enough that it's probably not really attracting much new interest. A few years ago were pretty exciting times when BB was really head and shoulders above the pack with their promotional experiments. Key among those was the upgrade & save deal where you could basically trade in any junker dvd or even hd dvds with each one offering a $5 discount towards blu purchases. And during that same window of time they were basically handing out gift cards like candy for doing surveys on Facebook. The shelves were also pretty well stocked back then with a pretty solid mix of newer releases and catalog titles. But now we're getting to a point where there's concern if even major studio new releases will be carried in stores. Online is of course a different story and it's arguably a golden age for older catalog titles with boutique distributors like Shout Factory, Vinegar Syndrome, Scorpion, and Kino constantly releasing cult gems usually in great presentation quality while the big studios are showing less interest and some are sadly releasing barebones titles 'on demand' at collector price points. It's definitely important to still have support inside of stores since people forget easily and as the saying goes, "out of sight, out of mind."

Last edited by meremortal; 09-15-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Thanks given by:
ghostsofjoy (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 01:02 AM   #28
Special Member

Oct 2010
Evansville, IN

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
Blu's still probably the most stable format out there for catalog depth and bang for the buck performance. And it's been out long enough that it's probably not really attracting much new interest. A few years ago were pretty exciting times when BB was really head and shoulders above the pack with their promotional experiments. Key among those was the upgrade & save deal where you could basically trade in any junker dvd or even hd dvds with each one offering a $5 discount towards blu purchases. And during that same window of time they were basically handing out gift cards like candy for doing surveys on Facebook. The shelves were also pretty well stocked back then with a pretty solid mix of newer releases and catalog titles. But now we're getting to a point where there's concern if even major studio new releases will be carried in stores. Online is of course a different story and it's arguably a golden age for older catalog titles with boutique distributors like Shout Factory, Vinegar Syndrome, Scorpion, and Kino constantly releasing cult gems usually in great presentation quality while the big studios are showing less interest and some are sadly releasing barebones titles 'on demand' at collector price points. It's definitely important to still have support inside of stores since people forget easily and as the saying goes, "out of sight, out of mind."
Oh, I spent so much money at BB during those Trade & Save promotions. What a difference seven years makes.
Thanks given by:
Llaneras (09-24-2018), meremortal (09-15-2018), Monterey Jack (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 01:04 AM   #29
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Regarding the continued existence of DVD, it likely comes down to walmart shoppers and kiddies. Suzie with a DVD enabled minivan and three kids doesn't need the Home Alone series in 4K UHD, she just needs something funny to entertain the kids on the 2 hour drive to grandma's. Joe Plumber spends all his money on food and bills so he just wants what's cheap. Who cares if you can see Halle Berry more clearly, he grew up watching scrambled cable. And a lot of people buying TV on DVD just don't care for the blu-ray prices over the increase in resolution. Something like TNG where it was rebuilt, yeah that's a buy. Others, no thanks.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:15 AM   #30
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Michigan

Most people are just satisfied with whatever is on Netflix/Hulu/Prime.
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 01:19 AM   #31

Jul 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Suckers. Seriously, I do a lot of social listening for my job related to home entertainment and thereís a ton of chatter out there on Twitter of people annoyed that the stuff they love disappears from streaming services. Physical media all the way!
Old 09-15-2018, 02:07 AM   #32
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Quote:
Sure, but I live in central PA where there are places that don't even have cell phone service let alone internet capable of constant streaming. So the WMs, Targets, etc still have a ton of DVDs and BDs (very little UHD). My BBY did scale down their media section last time I was in there, when they gave out the mystery certificates. Haven't been in since then to tell you what it looks like.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:35 AM   #33

Dec 2009

Quote:
That is the saddest part. Then they complain when their favorite show is gone and they have no way to watch it.

This is why I will never go full digital.

Last edited by neoz; 09-15-2018 at 03:41 AM.
Thanks given by:
filmo70 (09-17-2018), Llaneras (09-24-2018), Monterey Jack (09-15-2018), Skrazem (09-29-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 05:06 AM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Quote:
And I can't blame them. It's very cheap and hassle-free as long as you have reliable internet. Not everyone needs or desires to own movies and in a way I kind of envy people with that kind of minimalist attitude. I definitely get a bit overwhelmed at times when choosing a disc to watch since there are already too many unopened movies sitting on the shelf.

Last edited by meremortal; 09-15-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Thanks given by:
B72 (09-15-2018)
Old 09-15-2018, 05:18 AM   #35
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2011

My store just condensed its movie section slightly, but still, it's an ominous sign.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:28 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
Funkytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by meremortal View Post
And I can't blame them. It's very cheap and hassle-free as long as you have reliable internet.
Streaming is okay, if you dont mind your movies looking like ass. I watched Demons on Shudder last friday because I was waaaaay to lazy to get off the couch and find my Blu Ray. All the dark scenes, you could tell the pixelation - stood out like a sore thumb. It might be fine when your stoned and lazy, but if you care about quality? Hell no.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:19 PM   #37
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fez View Post
Streaming is okay, if you dont mind your movies looking like ass. I watched Demons on Shudder last friday because I was waaaaay to lazy to get off the couch and find my Blu Ray. All the dark scenes, you could tell the pixelation - stood out like a sore thumb. It might be fine when your stoned and lazy, but if you care about quality? Hell no.
Considering most of the people interested in streaming think DVD quality is acceptable? I don't think that will be a problem. It only bothers me when my internet connection drops a few times throughout my viewing, otherwise I'm fine with streaming.
Thanks given by:
Blaze_Chamberlin (10-12-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 11:15 PM   #38

Nov 2009
Chicago, Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fez View Post
Well you have to understand half of these idiot lazy millennial's don't believe in paying for movies. They believe they should be able to STEAL these movies by torrenting them online for free. The fact of the matter is people aren't buying movies as much anymore so this FALSE narrative that people are switching to digital is FAKE news. REAL movie fans still buy movies on disc I know their are fewer of us these days but if you are passionate about the movies you love you will not settle for streaming. Yea some are buying digital but not nearly as much as the fake news would lead you to believe. Remember the general public *****ed when netflix went from $7.99 to $9.99 and they wont join AMC A List because moviepass is $9.99 a month even though you get to see nothing with it. Oh well....

Last edited by ahossein79; 10-02-2018 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:29 AM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Newark, DE

This happend to the one i almost always end up at near the mall when they got rid of the shelve's holding the cds since they where going away back in at least July the media/movie section shrunk quite a bit hardly spend much time there either way usually just end up ordering online from them or amazon.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #40
Power Member

Apr 2011
Baltimore

Looks like they no longer sell CDs even online.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping