Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99
10 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96
16 hrs ago
Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99
4 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Three Fantastic Journeys by Karel Zeman (Blu-ray)
$71.14
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 10-05-2018, 01:10 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobipopcorn View Post
I do most of my physical media shopping at Target, but this is still depressing.
If you want to get really depressed then, you better hope your Target doesn't get remodeled. One of the locations near me recently was remodeled and the media section is practically non-existent. It's not even just the movies either, the video game section was severely downgraded as well.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #42
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Parker View Post
If you want to get really depressed then, you better hope your Target doesn't get remodeled. One of the locations near me recently was remodeled and the media section is practically non-existent. It's not even just the movies either, the video game section was severely downgraded as well.
Iíd be interested in seeing pics of these various store remodels.
Old 10-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #43
Blu-ray Count

Nov 2007
Iowa

Quote:
If your Target got remodeled most likely hundreds more will be remodeled in the not too distant future as well. I know someone who works in construction and all she does is coordinate Target remodels to make the stores nationwide as similar as possible.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:56 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Iíd be interested in seeing pics of these various store remodels.
I'll try and get pictures at some point if I can. I tend to avoid going to that one now because there's another Target relatively close that hasn't been remodeled.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:33 AM   #45
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Quote:
The second nearest Target to me just went through the remodel and you're right, it is depressing. There is about 1 1/2 aisles of movies now. I've got a bad feeling that my local store is about to go through the remodel too. They've put most of the video game/pop culture merchandise on clearance and entirely removed the 3DS game selection. All they have is maybe 10 games, all are Mario and Pokemon with no variety.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:34 AM   #46
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post
Looks like they no longer sell CDs even online.
I noticed that too. Didn't they claim that they'll still carry thousands of CDs on their website? Yeah, so much for that... not even 6 months later. I haven't bought a CD since the early 2000's but I still feel for those who collect physical music.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:45 AM   #47
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007

The movie section(s) at the BBY closest to me is pathetic. Target and Walmart have better selections/quantities. I'll have to venture over to the other BBY to see if their layout is any better. But at this point I no longer have a reason to go into BBY.

Last edited by rdodolak; 10-06-2018 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:55 AM   #48
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdodolak View Post
The movie section(s) at the BBY closest to me is pathetic. Target and Walmart have better selections/quantities. I've have to venture over to the other BBY to see if they're layout is any better. But at this point I no longer have a reason to go into BBY.
Walmart is the only retailer that I bother with these days. Best Buy hardly carries anything that I'm interested in anymore. Walmart has been getting better and better about carrying new re-releases, expanding their anime selection and getting nice exclusives as well. Target has gotten all of my money this year because of their awesome booklet packaging exclusives.
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post
Looks like they no longer sell CDs even online.
I hah!-ed a little last week when I saw a bin of CDs for sale at one store, right next to the shelves where they used to be (now there's movies there). That was a few days before your post...

This week at another store I don't recall seeing anything like that so...

But otherwise maybe a little shrinkage but nothing too horrendous yet. I have noticed lately online that some of the newer titles disappear pretty quickly though, if they're stocked at all.

--

Off topic, but I'm wondering with my new bby visa card, which just replaced their old store card, whether when I get points for charging things at other (non-bby) places, which seems to be what happens, whether these charges are applied to my annual spending balance that goes toward Elite/Plus. I'm only about halfway towards Elite this year, and a good part of that was not BDs, and that would be an easy way of getting there, since bby doesn't have as much to offer of interest to me these days (and I haven't been happy when I've attempted online media orders from them, fwiw - I wouldn't mind so much but having returns banned is something you really only want to happen once, and I'm still pretty fussy). Boy what a paragraph.

So, do outside purchases with bby visa count towards Elite/Plus status? Or am I better off just sticking with my amz prime card?

(I recall somebody saying that might be the case, but that was a few years ago...)
Old 10-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #50

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdm View Post
I hah!-ed a little last week when I saw a bin of CDs for sale at one store, right next to the shelves where they used to be (now there's movies there). That was a few days before your post...

This week at another store I don't recall seeing anything like that so...

But otherwise maybe a little shrinkage but nothing too horrendous yet. I have noticed lately online that some of the newer titles disappear pretty quickly though, if they're stocked at all.

--

Off topic, but I'm wondering with my new bby visa card, which just replaced their old store card, whether when I get points for charging things at other (non-bby) places, which seems to be what happens, whether these charges are applied to my annual spending balance that goes toward Elite/Plus. I'm only about halfway towards Elite this year, and a good part of that was not BDs, and that would be an easy way of getting there, since bby doesn't have as much to offer of interest to me these days (and I haven't been happy when I've attempted online media orders from them, fwiw - I wouldn't mind so much but having returns banned is something you really only want to happen once, and I'm still pretty fussy). Boy what a paragraph.

So, do outside purchases with bby visa count towards Elite/Plus status? Or am I better off just sticking with my amz prime card?

(I recall somebody saying that might be the case, but that was a few years ago...)
Outside purchases do count. I finally got to elite status this year since I got my Best Buy visa card late last year.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #51

Jan 2013

I just hope they donít eliminate their movie section online if they plan on getting rid of their entire selection in store.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:56 PM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
Way Out West
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG85 View Post
Outside purchases do count. I finally got to elite status this year since I got my Best Buy visa card late last year.
Thanks! I guess I'll push for that $3500 mark. Or maybe at least get to the $1500 mark this year anyway (about half way there!)

I know last year when I bought a receiver from them, that pushed me over into Elite Plus about mid-year, and they did bump me up right away.

One way to get BDs (or whatever) cheaper, I suppose.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #53
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

Quote:
The media section at the Target stores near me was not only downgraded but moved all the way to the back of the store (it used to be right by one of the entrances). Now I have to walk all the way to the back of the store (and the remodel hasnít made this easy) to find almost nothing of interest. Iíve severely cut back on trips to Target as a result. I received a coupon in the mail after my store completed its remodel, which I used on the new Spider-Man game. But now I only visit Target if I have a specific reason.

The Best Buy near me still has a movie section but it is awful. Itís always barely stocked and there are usually huge stepladders parked right in front of the movies. I have to get my phone out to check prices because they donít bother to change the price tags or to advertise sales.

And the media section at Barnes & Noble is a ghost town now, devoid of customers or employees. Just tumbleweeds...

It is depressing...
Old 10-11-2018, 07:39 PM   #54
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2017
Cow Country

Our Target was remodeled, though the media section was always at the back they just put it at a different section of the back. It did seem to get a little smaller but I didn't look around to see what they had.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #55
Expert Member

Jul 2014

Seems like Best Buy is slowly turning into H. H. Gregg. Granted, a more successful version (right now).
Old 10-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #56
Expert Member

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard View Post
Seems like Best Buy is slowly turning into H. H. Gregg. Granted, a more successful version (right now).
That'll end pretty quick. What these retailers don't understand, and what Amazon can't do, is offer cheaper product to entice people into the place. I may go in to buy A Quiet Place but while I'm there I may go see what cameras they have or look at the new tablets. Otherwise, I'll just look online and then, likely, BUY online. I never even came near your store, so you lost TWO potential sales that way. I can't see BBY staying profitable without media. Short term, maybe, but not for long.
Old 10-13-2018, 10:51 PM   #57
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2007

The second BBY store in my city redeemed BBY for now. This store had three rows of UHD and Blu-ray titles plus the random aisle displays, but this was also a Magnolia store. Looks like this will be my go to store unless BBY decides to slit it's own throat.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #58

Mar 2010

In the last week I noticed that two Best Buy stores added another level to each side of their movie racks. Right now they're empty, but with the holiday shopping season approaching I'm guessing they'll fill these up with an expanded selection.
Old 10-21-2018, 06:59 PM   #59
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
Most people are just satisfied with whatever is on Netflix/Hulu/Prime.
What we often seem to forget is that most people have always been renters. With that in perspective, it's not at all surprising that that market has gravitated toward digital, particularly when studios have so adamantly championed it themselves, due to the resell of rental surplus getting so out of hand that was cutting too significantly into the physical market. I won't even get into Microsoft's continuing market manipulation.

I'm hopeful that Sony's recent renewed support for catalog BD, Universal's substantially increased support of the same, new Disney's double dips and DMR exclusives, etc might be indication that the market is settling. As studios seem to be showing more optimism toward physical catalog releases again, possibly urged on by the proliferation (and apparent success) of boutique labels, despite most boutiques not having much if any presence in the brick and mortar arena.

Of course we're seeing a gradual increase in pricing too, which is to be expected, as studios are no longer compelled to resort to virtual liquidation prices to compete with the horde of ex-rentals hitting the market 1-2 months after release.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:54 PM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009
Columbia, MO

Looks like they are expanding the toy section, though:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/29/busin...ays/index.html

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping