Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)
$44.99

Blacksad: Under The Skin (Switch)
$19.99

LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 (Switch)
$14.99

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Switch)
$29.99

Assassin's Creed: The Rebel Collection (Switch)
$24.99

Bee Simulator (Switch)
$19.99

Mortal Kombat 11 (Switch)
$24.99

A Hat In Time (Switch)
$29.99

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Switch)
$29.97

Fire Emblem Warriors (Switch)
$24.49

Spirit Hunter: NG (Switch)
$36.99

Vampyr (Switch)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 02-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #1
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales
Default Xbox Live Coming to Nintendo Switch

Microsoft has inadvertently revealed its plans to bring Xbox Live to Switch and mobile after submitting a session report for GDC 2019.

In the description for a GDC session titled Xbox Live: Growing & Engaging Your Gaming Community Across iOS, Android, Switch, Xbox, and PC (spotted by Windows Central), the platform holder revealed its plans to release a new Xbox Development Kit.

"Get a first look at the SDK to enable game developers to connect players between iOS, Android, and Switch in addition to Xbox and any game in the Microsoft Store on Windows PCs," reads the description.

Although Microsoft already requires an Xbox Live login for Minecraft on all other platforms save for PlayStation, this SDK should allow developers to implement Xbox Live cross-platform support, such as achievements and multiplayer, directly into their games.

From opening up its console exclusives to PC players and advocating cross-platform play, to Xbox Game Pass and its reported plans for a digital-only console, Microsoft continues to push outside of the industry's comfort zones.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...tch-and-mobile
Old 02-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Does this mean I can play Halo on the toilet with my Switch?
Old 02-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

People can say what they want that none of this stuff MS is doing would happen if they weren't losing but something has to be said about them being proactive about opening up cross platform play. This is the wider stance of your library (and XBL) as a service available wherever you play. I wouldn't be surprised to see them offering up XCloud to Nintendo once it goes live.

A commentor at EG said it best.

gabortoth-
Quote:
People usually bring up pure Xbox One sales as a reason against the Xbox brand but in reality Microsoft is already building towards something so much bigger. Even today, the Xbox consoles themselves are only one entry point of several to Xbox Live and in the future this will be even more true. That doesn't mean consoles won't matter (I'm an Xbox One player myself) but our community will grow much bigger thanks to this. And sitting in front of the tv screen it really doesn't matter who's playing on what device until I get the same games on my console and can play with them. I hope they can deliver, time to come together as gamers.

Last edited by dyne; 02-04-2019 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

MS are playing the long game. They know that the industry is moving away from hardware and more to services offered via their software. There will come a day when MS don't even need to release a console, they just offer Xbox Live on any platform able to run the app.

I'd imagine cutting all the costs involced in everything that goes on to building a new console from scratch and relying on people using Xbox Live via other companies devices could be quite profitable for them maybe even more so than what they make now.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:50 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
Does this mean I can play Halo on the toilet with my Switch?
For that to happen they'd have to develop a Halo game for Switch.

It does mean that you can possibly play a game online with your Switch with teammates/opponents that are playing on X1s or PCs, pending a check of the exact plans.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:56 PM   #6
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

Nintendo should just dump their own online back end and piggyback off of Xbox Live. Mobile carriers sell their service to 3rd parties all the time. o2 provide the mobile service for Tesco Mobile and Giffgaff, EE provide Virgin mobile and plusnet. Why can't Xbox provide their exceptional online platform to Nintendo.

I'm sure it's not as easy as that but it would be pretty cool having almost every format being on the same online network for multiplayer.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Iím mixed on this. Nothing negative or positive from me. Am in grey area.

I see Nintendoís push towards this more than MSís though.

Or?

It is a growing relationship between N & MS. I havenít heard many positives regarding Nís online service & can see MS lending a hand (sorta speak) since they are foremost a Software Company & already have their networking structure in good standings.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:12 PM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
For that to happen they'd have to develop a Halo game for Switch.

It does mean that you can possibly play a game online with your Switch with teammates/opponents that are playing on X1s or PCs, pending a check of the exact plans.
Well with Microsoftís push for "games anywhere" 99% of whatever you buy on Xbox is also playable on Windows. So if Switch was added to this service...
Old 02-05-2019, 02:05 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32 View Post
Well with Microsoftís push for "games anywhere" 99% of whatever you buy on Xbox is also playable on Windows. So if Switch was added to this service...
Itís not 99% of whatever you buy. Itís still a small selection of first party titles and a bunch of indie games.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere
Old 02-05-2019, 03:04 AM   #10
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
Itís not 99% of whatever you buy. Itís still a small selection of first party titles and a bunch of indie games.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/xbox-play-anywhere
Itís all their first party games since the program started. I sold my Xbox One and just buy their stuff on PC since Play Anywhere. The list of games just isnít great as MS has been weak in the first party front this generation.

That said, this is moot for Switch as the console canít run things like Gears 5 or Halo Infinite anyway. Moot unless they start a streaming gaming service for problem with fast enough internet anyway.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011

I don't think that Halo or Gears of War would be a great fit for the Switch, but I have a feeling that Forza would play very nicely, even a highly nerfed version.

But Cuphead and Ori and the Blind Forest would definitely be a better fit for the Switch than the Xbox. And man would I love to see Killer Instinct on a Nintendo console once again. A physical copy with all the content of the Xbox version would be amazing.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:26 AM   #12
Expert Member

Nov 2009
Portland, OR

Could this be it maybe easier to release an Nintendo 64 Classic with Goldeneye and possibly other Rare titles?! Pure speculation
Old 02-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient_indie View Post
Could this be it maybe easier to release an Nintendo 64 Classic with Goldeneye and possibly other Rare titles?! Pure speculation
Easier? Sure. More probable? No. I think the last (and main) hurdle is character likeness and the Broccoli estate signing off.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #14
Power Member

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
I’m mixed on this. Nothing negative or positive from me. Am in grey area.

I see Nintendo’s push towards this more than MS’s though.

Or?

It is a growing relationship between N & MS. I haven’t heard many positives regarding N’s online service & can see MS lending a hand (sorta speak) since they are foremost a Software Company & already have their networking structure in good standings.
I can only speak for myself and my experience with Smash Ultimate online. Nintendo Online has gotten much better for that particular game. Lag spikes happen rarely, maybe once every 7 games, but even then everyone is back and playing after a few seconds.

I think it was just some growing pains and the software needed some help. Since the latest (2.0?) update, it's a great experience for $20 annually.

I know I should really get around to playing Mariokart or the NES classic games, but I'm like a mouse hitting the crack button with Smash.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:08 AM   #15
Special Member

Feb 2014
Michigan

anybody know if xbox live support has been added to cuphead? all i can find online is that it is "coming soon" so my guess is not yet...
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch