Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Fire Emblem: Three Houses (Switch)
$44.99

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Switch)
$29.99

LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 (Switch)
$14.99

Blacksad: Under The Skin (Switch)
$19.99

Reel Fishing: Road Trip Adventure (Switch)
$9.90

Mortal Kombat 11 (Switch)
$24.99

A Hat In Time (Switch)
$29.99

Sparklite (Switch)
$14.99

Vampyr (Switch)
$29.99

Darksiders Genesis (Switch)
$33.88

God Eater 3 (Switch)
$29.99

Heroland (Switch)
$44.61
53 min ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 07-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #21
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri View Post
I did not play the previous, but I am loving this game. So much fun. The levels it comes with are great and creating is very fun.

Question, can you change Mario's costume / character when making a level? Like to be Peach or Toad in a course or do you always have to use Mario?
No costumes this time. They were tied to Amiibo (for creating levels, not playing other people’s levels) in the first game but they took that out this time.

In the first there was a magic mushroom item and you scanned an Amiibo when creating so it would turn players into Mega Man or whatever. Only worked on the NES SMB style stages though
Old 07-03-2019, 02:20 AM   #22

May 2009

If anyone is interested in checking my level out, here you go.

'Forest of the Flying Coins'
RX9-YWK-9LF

A remake of my first Mario Maker level 'Valley of the Flying Coins', this level is an attempt to recreate the more 'drawn out' feel of the original Mario levels where you didn't have hundreds of things happening to you all the time like in a lot of Mario Maker levels.

Let me know what you think and if I can improve it in other ways!
Thanks given by:
Kurri (07-07-2019), mep (07-07-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 05:21 AM   #23
Power Member

Jul 2010

This game is putting my OCD to the test! Anyways, I spent about 5 hours making a level today, please check it out and comment. 86G-797-NYF
Thanks given by:
mep (07-07-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 05:33 AM   #24
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2008

I haven't bothered with level design yet - I wanna finish story mode and just get better at the controls for each style first. I have a few ideas, though.

I'll check out your guys' levels next time I fire the game up.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:31 PM   #25

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeyl View Post

RX9-YWK-9LF

A remake of my first Mario Maker level 'Valley of the Flying Coins', this level is an attempt to recreate the more 'drawn out' feel of the original Mario levels where you didn't have hundreds of things happening to you all the time like in a lot of Mario Maker levels.

Let me know what you think and if I can improve it in other ways!
That was really a fun, classic, very playable level! I also played your second level Gumshoe NES. Auto-Scrolling underwater levels are normally not quite my cup of tea, but this one is also very fair, features not too many enemies and you can collect the needed coins quite generously. One small thing I did not love about that level was that there was no chance at the end to get the needed amount of coins anymore, once you got to the end of the level and realise that you donīt actually have 46 of them. At my first try I had 45 coins. One was missing, but I couldnīt complete the level. Maybe you could give Bowser Jr. a key to a secret room with a few more coins or a star coin, so that there would be kind of a deus ex machina moment at the end for all who run flat on coins in the first place but are able to beat your end boss instead?

But two very cool levels nevertheless! Am looking forward to more of your levels in the near future! Greetings from Germany! Chris

Last edited by mep; 07-05-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #26

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtu128 View Post
This game is putting my OCD to the test! Anyways, I spent about 5 hours making a level today, please check it out and comment. 86G-797-NYF
Also a short, fun, old-school-feel level! Like that you give quite generously power-ups throughout the level and the path is always clear and with enough save resting areas for not that skilled players! Fun level! Greetings from Germany!
Old 07-05-2019, 11:55 PM   #27
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Try this out, just uploaded it.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:53 AM   #28

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep View Post
Auto-Scrolling underwater levels are normally not quite my cup of tea, but this one is also very fair, features not too many enemies and you can collect the needed coins quite generously. One small thing I did not love about that level was that there was no chance at the end to get the needed amount of coins anymore, once you got to the end of the level and realise that you donīt actually have 46 of them. At my first try I had 45 coins. One was missing, but I couldnīt complete the level. Maybe you could give Bowser Jr. a key to a secret room with a few more coins or a star coin, so that there would be kind of a deus ex machina moment at the end for all who run flat on coins in the first place but are able to beat your end boss instead?
First, thank you so much for playing my levels!

Everything about the Gumshoe level was my attempt to pay homage to the original NES Gumshoe game as close to the original game mechanics as I could. Ever play the original Gumshoe game? Despite the fact that it looks like a simple 2D side scroller, there's more to it. Here's a vid.

WARNING! Random flashes.

I basically copied the layout of the level from 0:24 to 1:24. I than cut back to the original layout at 3:22. The Baby Bowser moment comes in at 3:49 after which I was forced to end the level due to length restrictions.

And I totally understand the difficulty about the level. I wanted the coin requirement to be high enough that players had to pay attention, but not absolute that if they missed a couple of coins that they could never complete the level. The red balloons in the original gave you ammunition that you absolutely needed by the end of the game. If you didn't have enough, you just wasted about 20 minutes of game time. And please believe me when I say that I take NO PLEASURE in players failing to beat a level. Gumshoe is a hard as fudge game even when tool assisted via emulation and I thought I was making it much easier here. But if you think it'd be better to lower the coin requirement or have a slower scrolling level, I might try that.

Also, did you find the secret area in Forest of the Flying Coins? There's a reason why there's an inaccessible red pipe near the end of the level.

Last edited by Jeyl; 07-07-2019 at 02:31 AM.
Thanks given by:
mep (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 02:30 AM   #29

May 2009

Quote:
Let's do this.

*Enters Code and Plays Level*

Ouch. So many obstacles in such close proximity! It was tough, but I dig how the level is more beneficial for endless runs than on it's own with the 'out of the way coin rewards. Nice touch. That Bowser at the top is a cheat though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface32
Try this out, just uploaded it.

Ughghghhhh. I hate to do this Scarface, but this level was.... not good? Let me try to explain.

1. Red Harrings that kill you are not fun.
The glass pipe at the beginning that leads to an open space where you fall to your death is just too harsh and very trolly. Players should overcome obstacles, not ignore them (unless their skills are that good, but that doesn't apply here).

2. Lots of filler
If you're going to have players climb a fence only to bring them down to the ground level again, make it be worth while. Have a bonus item, or a checkpoint, or an array of enemies that must be defeated. Anything! Seeing the same space drag on and on should be reserved for bugged areas, not level design.

3. Luck based platforming
This one was just painful. After you reach the edge of the cliff, players are supposed to jump off and land onto the next platform. Problem with this level is that there is no indication on where the platforms are. And on top of that, these platforms are tiny! I had to use the catform's wall walking ability just to increase my chances of not falling to my death and that added margin was still pretty small. And that long drop near the end? You just pop out from a pipe into a long vertical drop with nothing to tell you what direction you should be falling and when the platform will appear. This 'luck' based level design is not fun at all.

Suggestions:
- Compress the level. If there are long stretches of the level where nothing happens, either add some activity to it or shorten it.
- Communicate with the player. When you want a player to make long jumps or falls, give the player some guidance so that if they die, at least they'll know where they went wrong. Putting coins that lead towards a platform would be a good way to start.
- Don't be so brutal. Instead of having all missed chances lead to death, add something that still conveys inconvenience instead of frustration. Like maybe instead of killing the players when they reach the bottom of the vertical pit, add some ground and a pipe/door that makes the players attempt the drop again. It may be tedious, but at least they don't have to go through the whole level.

But if that's how you like your levels made, feel free to ignore all this.
Thanks given by:
mep (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 02:33 AM   #30
Power Member

Jul 2010

So I think this one is much better than my first attempt at a level creation. Please check it out and give me your thoughts!

QPB-TDS-1BG

This is the most fun I’ve had with a game since Stardew valley.

Last edited by jtu128; 07-07-2019 at 04:23 AM.
Thanks given by:
mep (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 10:16 AM   #31

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
First, thank you so much for playing my levels!

Everything about the Gumshoe level was my attempt to pay homage to the original NES Gumshoe game as close to the original game mechanics as I could. Ever play the original Gumshoe game? Despite the fact that it looks like a simple 2D side scroller, there's more to it. Here's a vid.

WARNING! Random flashes.

Gumshoe Complete Playthrough - NintendoComplete - YouTube

I basically copied the layout of the level from 0:24 to 1:24. I than cut back to the original layout at 3:22. The Baby Bowser moment comes in at 3:49 after which I was forced to end the level due to length restrictions.

And I totally understand the difficulty about the level. I wanted the coin requirement to be high enough that players had to pay attention, but not absolute that if they missed a couple of coins that they could never complete the level. The red balloons in the original gave you ammunition that you absolutely needed by the end of the game. If you didn't have enough, you just wasted about 20 minutes of game time. And please believe me when I say that I take NO PLEASURE in players failing to beat a level. Gumshoe is a hard as fudge game even when tool assisted via emulation and I thought I was making it much easier here. But if you think it'd be better to lower the coin requirement or have a slower scrolling level, I might try that.

Also, did you find the secret area in Forest of the Flying Coins? There's a reason why there's an inaccessible red pipe near the end of the level.
Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed reply! The level itself is very fun and once you know how itīs structured you can get the relevant amount of coins without any pressure. My comment was just about the minor issue, that you cannot quite know on your first try, if you got enough coins in the beginning or not. I completed the level, had one coin too little and no way to get that one missing coin anymore, because I could not go back. So I had to die on purpose to restart the level.

Have to say, I donīt enjoy soft-locks like that too much. So I would like to include a second option at the very end to get at least some more coins, if you beat a challenge. And Bowser Jr. is already there. Normally you wouldnīt have to beat him, if you have enough coins and can directly swim to the flag pole. But if you donīt have enough coins, you cannot go back. The only thing you can do is fight Bowser Jr. So why not give him a key to a secret room, with a star coin ? So you would ensure, that the player has some kind of head-room and doesnīt have to restart the level ?

I found the secret room! But took me quite a while and some searching. Itīs against the normal direction of the level. Iīm searching in those spaces at last and it took me kind of a bit of thinking, where it could be left to be. But thatīs me; after I discovered it finally I thought: DīOH! Of course it was located there! Why didnīt I see it directly in the first place...

Last edited by mep; 07-07-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #32

Jan 2017
Germany

One question: Can somebody tell me how you can lift up one of your opponents in the online vs. mode and do you have a good way to avoid beeing lifted up? I cannot figure it out by myself and am sick of getting thrown into the abyss without having the proper tools to reply...

Also: The online vs. mode is so much fun; but also so very broken! Most of the time itīs unbelievable laggy, almost frozen. Why canīt Nintendo provide proper own servers for tentpole releases like that, Splatoon or Smash Bros. ? How can they look at that and think, īyeah, thatīs good enough for 2019. Itīs at least not totally frozen. You still can see Mario move. Kind of.ī ? Unbelievable as always. I payed 80€ for this game. And 20€ for their so called Online īServiceī. And I pay for my own fast Internet line, but doesnīt help, because chances are, one out of four players doesnīt have a proper one on his end...

And: Donīt put lava- or water-rising levels in the loop for multiplayer modes! If youīre not first in those places, you become more or less soft-locked. Cannot enter a room full of lava. Did they test those modes at all ? And give a button for Troll levels! If some people enjoy doing those, they should play them outside a multiplayer online mode. Every ten levels or so, I get one of those and only have the option to drop out and lose points, or stand still for 500 seconds or die a thousand times directly at the beginning of the level. No fun for me at all...

Make a premium membership and charge up to 100€ a year - I donīt care, but finally establish your own servers! I stopped playing Smash Bros. after a couple of days, because it was online almost unplayable. Didnīt go back to this title at all. What a shame...

Last edited by mep; 07-07-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #33

Jan 2017
Germany

Also my first two 3D-World Levels, to whom it may concern:

CVP-8Q5-LRF
482-689-RTG

Enjoy!
Old 07-07-2019, 12:55 PM   #34

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
Let's do this.

Ouch. So many obstacles in such close proximity! It was tough, but I dig how the level is more beneficial for endless runs than on it's own with the 'out of the way coin rewards. Nice touch. That Bowser at the top is a cheat though!

Ughghghhhh. I hate to do this Scarface, but this level was.... not good? Let me try to explain.

1. Red Harrings that kill you are not fun.
The glass pipe at the beginning that leads to an open space where you fall to your death is just too harsh and very trolly. Players should overcome obstacles, not ignore them (unless their skills are that good, but that doesn't apply here).

2. Lots of filler
If you're going to have players climb a fence only to bring them down to the ground level again, make it be worth while. Have a bonus item, or a checkpoint, or an array of enemies that must be defeated. Anything! Seeing the same space drag on and on should be reserved for bugged areas, not level design.

3. Luck based platforming
This one was just painful. After you reach the edge of the cliff, players are supposed to jump off and land onto the next platform. Problem with this level is that there is no indication on where the platforms are. And on top of that, these platforms are tiny! I had to use the catform's wall walking ability just to increase my chances of not falling to my death and that added margin was still pretty small. And that long drop near the end? You just pop out from a pipe into a long vertical drop with nothing to tell you what direction you should be falling and when the platform will appear. This 'luck' based level design is not fun at all.

Suggestions:
- Compress the level. If there are long stretches of the level where nothing happens, either add some activity to it or shorten it.
- Communicate with the player. When you want a player to make long jumps or falls, give the player some guidance so that if they die, at least they'll know where they went wrong. Putting coins that lead towards a platform would be a good way to start.
- Don't be so brutal. Instead of having all missed chances lead to death, add something that still conveys inconvenience instead of frustration. Like maybe instead of killing the players when they reach the bottom of the vertical pit, add some ground and a pipe/door that makes the players attempt the drop again. It may be tedious, but at least they don't have to go through the whole level.

But if that's how you like your levels made, feel free to ignore all this.
Sadly I have to agree with all the above mentioned points; itīs trial and error, youīll never know if you will land on a platform or not, therefor itīs difficult, but not in the sense that you would need actual gaming skills. But itīs a first try and quite short, so just keep going and maybe include some of the above mentioned ideas into your next try.

One more thing: I would suggest giving power-ups always via pipes or at least blocks. Therefor they would be available more than once and for more than one player. If youīre level would have come up in the online vs. mode it would have been more or less unplayable...
Old 07-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #35

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
So I think this one is much better than my first attempt at a level creation. Please check it out and give me your thoughts!

QPB-TDS-1BG

This is the most fun I’ve had with a game since Stardew valley.
That was a fun little level with many cool ideas; very enjoyable!
Old 07-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #36

Jul 2007
-
-
-
-

my 3 levels
let me know what I can do to improve them
I know they aren't great but I'm not all that creative
J4K-VC8-79G
23J-VLV-70H
FR5-RP2-YQG
Thanks given by:
mep (07-08-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 09:28 PM   #37
Special Member

Mar 2010
Los Angeles

Quote:

RX9-YWK-9LF
This was great. Very fun. Felt like a classic Mario level.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:31 PM   #38
Special Member

Mar 2010
Los Angeles

Quote:
fun and short. Pretty hard though you threw in enough mushrooms though so people can get through it

Scarface32: Just tried your level. Too hard for me. I had no idea where to go sorry man.

jtu128: I did like the 2nd Level you created better. just seemed to flow better.

MEP:
CVP-8Q5-LRF - Not my thing. sorry man
482-689-RTG - Really liked this one. I felt a sense of accomplishment once I figured out what I had to do. Well done.

MEATHEAD:
J4K-VC8-79G - nice. first part was a challenge! but was fun overall.
23J-VLV-70H - this one kicked ass really liked it. I didn't know you could do multiple flag checkpoints like that. very cool
FR5-RP2-YQG - I hate you j/k I just didn't know where to go

I have to say, the only thing I don't like about this game, and it is a minor complaint, but coins mean nothing in the created levels. I wish they meant something.

Last edited by Kurri; 07-07-2019 at 10:00 PM.
Thanks given by:
mep (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 06:28 PM   #39

Jan 2017
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri View Post

MEP:
CVP-8Q5-LRF - Not my thing. sorry man
482-689-RTG - Really liked this one. I felt a sense of accomplishment once I figured out what I had to do. Well done.
Thanks for playing and the likes! The first like for a new level is always really important to get in the loop for the endless challenge and to get at least a few plays on your level. So that was great regarding my second level. That one is also in my opinion the better one of the two. I hope the idea is set up straight forward, but also has a bit of challenge and thinking to it. Also it wasnīt quite that easy to figure out the best set up for the level. So right now Iīm quite happy how that one turned out afterall.

I also played and liked your level. Iīm not the biggest fan of ghost houses, but I always knew where to go next and the power-ups were very nicely placed. A fun first level!
Thanks given by:
Kurri (07-09-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 12:12 AM   #40
Expert Member

Oct 2008

My 8 year old daughter posted her first level, if anyone would like to give it a shot.

KDT 096 W9G
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch