Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Blacksad: Under The Skin (Switch)
$19.99

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (Switch)
$29.99

LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 (Switch)
$14.99

A Hat In Time (Switch)
$29.99

Mortal Kombat 11 (Switch)
$24.99

Risk of Rain 2 (Switch)
$23.00
3 hrs ago
Vampyr (Switch)
$29.99

Reel Fishing: Road Trip Adventure (Switch)
$10.43
11 hrs ago
Darksiders Genesis (Switch)
$33.88

Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch)
$29.99

God Eater 3 (Switch)
$29.99

Air Conflicts Collection (Switch)
$31.91

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 02-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Default Nintendo Switch Virtual Reality support?

Don't know if this has been mentioned already here. If so, please delete or merge thread.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...be-approaching

https://gonintendo.com/stories/32891...ude-vr-support

I would be interested in this.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #2
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
Don't know if this has been mentioned already here. If so, please delete or merge thread.

https://www.nintendoworldreport.com/...be-approaching

https://gonintendo.com/stories/32891...ude-vr-support

I would be interested in this.
Extremely odd and the rumour just wonít go away. I donít see how they could pull this off with a 720p screen and no 6DOF.
Having said that, those Labo ideas would potentially offer some interesting control methods!
Old 02-18-2019, 06:47 PM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Iíve heard rumblings of Nintendo doing the 3DS route with their revision. Thatís all though. Notta about VR. Wouldnít surprise me though if they did.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

VR using Switch's hardware would look atrocious!
Old 02-19-2019, 12:25 AM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
VR using Switch's hardware would look atrocious!
Yep. There has to be more to this.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:09 PM   #6

Nov 2014

I was joking about this a few weeks ago, dropping NS into a GoogleVR style headset, didn’t even think of LABO like the pic in the link.

They’d definitely have to release a smaller/lighter model though or I’d be in pain, and as Steedeel mentioned, the hardware isn’t there yet...unless the apparatus adds the 6DOF (and makes that satisfying click when inserted), but that still doesn’t fix the low-res issue.

I would probably buy if they figure out a good solution, I’m sure Breath of the Wild would be nice in VR.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:11 PM   #7

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
Iíve heard rumblings of Nintendo doing the 3DS route with their revision.
What do you mean, add a 3D screen? That would be awesome!
Old 02-21-2019, 12:57 AM   #8
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyadol View Post
I was joking about this a few weeks ago, dropping NS into a GoogleVR style headset, didn’t even think of LABO like the pic in the link.

They’d definitely have to release a smaller/lighter model though or I’d be in pain, and as Steedeel mentioned, the hardware isn’t there yet...unless the apparatus adds the 6DOF (and makes that satisfying click when inserted), but that still doesn’t fix the low-res issue.

I would probably buy if they figure out a good solution, I’m sure Breath of the Wild would be nice in VR.
I have thought of this a lot over the last few days. Maybe this would be great for VR overall. Let others come up with the next gen of wireless and inside out tracking, higher resolution etc.. and have a simple, kiddy friendly introductory VR headset for the Switch. It could be a excellent way of getting younger gamers interested in VR. Maybe really simple, cartoony graphics.

If it takes off, maybe we will get Mario Kart in VR one day.

By the way, Astrobot on the PSVR is the closest thing to VR Super Mario we have at the moment and it is every bit as incredible as you can imagine.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:38 AM   #9

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I have thought of this a lot over the last few days. Maybe this would be great for VR overall. Let others come up with the next gen of wireless and inside out tracking, higher resolution etc.. and have a simple, kiddy friendly introductory VR headset for the Switch. It could be a excellent way of getting younger gamers interested in VR. Maybe really simple, cartoony graphics.
I wonder if VR can be streamed effectively? Since NS already has a couple of games (in Japan) that are streaming services because the system isn't powerful enough to handle the graphics, could that work with VR? I'm thinking the Switch is the VR processor (like that little box that comes w// PSVR) and then the main processing is hosted.

Not the best solution, but it would lower the price point. Maybe it would require a spec bump (like New Nintendo 3DS) while still maintaining compatibility with the current catalog.

I'm not sure how I feel about streaming games. There is a convenience factor, like what MS is talking about w/ Xbox as a Service, but I like buying my games instead of subscribing. At some point streaming will probably overtake physical and digital, just like it did w/ music and videos, so I guess I should be prepared for the inevitable...
Old 02-21-2019, 08:45 AM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:

If it takes off, maybe we will get Mario Kart in VR one day.

By the way, Astrobot on the PSVR is the closest thing to VR Super Mario we have at the moment and it is every bit as incredible as you can imagine.
Except VR is not good for kids due to strain on young developing eyes. Making VR for kids would be a moot point based on the nature of the tech alone. I know PSVR doesn't recommend use for anyone under 12.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Except VR is not good for kids due to strain on young developing eyes. Making VR for kids would be a moot point based on the nature of the tech alone. I know PSVR doesn't recommend use for anyone under 12.
There is no proof of that.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #12
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
I wonder if VR can be streamed effectively? Since NS already has a couple of games (in Japan) that are streaming services because the system isn't powerful enough to handle the graphics, could that work with VR? I'm thinking the Switch is the VR processor (like that little box that comes w// PSVR) and then the main processing is hosted.

Not the best solution, but it would lower the price point. Maybe it would require a spec bump (like New Nintendo 3DS) while still maintaining compatibility with the current catalog.

I'm not sure how I feel about streaming games. There is a convenience factor, like what MS is talking about w/ Xbox as a Service, but I like buying my games instead of subscribing. At some point streaming will probably overtake physical and digital, just like it did w/ music and videos, so I guess I should be prepared for the inevitable...
I think some system where only what you are looking at gets rendered would have huge data savings. If you look left, the screen would refresh to look sharp and detailed while everywhere else was just low bit rate. As soon as you switch views, the software would render that on the fly. That may be the way forward for VR. It would completely fool you into thinking everything around you is pin sharp at all times. I think something like this is being worked on.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:29 AM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
What do you mean, add a 3D screen? That would be awesome!
Thatís exactly what Iíve seen thrown on the table.
Thanks given by:
heyadol (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #14
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Hey, I don't pretend to be an expert. I'm just telling you what I read. If you want to chance that with your kids, be my guest. I personally wouldn't though.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:37 PM   #15

Nov 2014

Quote:
Companies are probably just being cautious to prevent lawsuits, Iíve read similar articles that said kids below a certain age shouldnít use phones and tablets.

I gave my nephew a 3DS when he was 8 and his mom let him play, no eye problems...yet!
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 10:46 PM   #16
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Hey, I don't pretend to be an expert. I'm just telling you what I read. If you want to chance that with your kids, be my guest. I personally wouldn't though.
I donít have kids, thank goodness!
Old 04-05-2019, 01:52 PM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild getting support. Zelda is getting full treatment while Odyssey is getting a mode. Surely a system with a better screen and performance must be on the way?

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ter-this-month

Quote:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be fully playable in virtual reality via the soon-to-be-released Labo VR kit later this month - and it'll be joined by Super Mario Odyssey, which is getting its own, smaller VR mode.

No, it's not April 1st, and no I have no idea how it'll actually work, though given the updates to both games are coming April 26th - with Labo VR coming out on April 12th - there really isn't that long to find out.

Super Mario Odyssey offers a 'bite-sized' mode which has players revisiting the Cap, Seaside and Luncheon Kingdoms, with small, cordoned off challenges in which players collects coins and musical notes.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, meanwhile, promises full VR support which can be toggled on or off at any point in the game by dipping into the options menu.

How, exactly, will it work, given that the base game runs at 30fps, that the Labo VR requires you to hold it up to your face at all times, that the Switch's screen already offers a fairly slim 720p resolution that'll be split in half via VR? I have no idea, though given how impressed I was by my initial time with Labo VR, I'm optimistic there'll be some Nintendo magic that helps make it work.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:23 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

I really question how Breath of the Wild will work with you holding up the VR unit, since that is difficult game as is (I’d say the hardest in the series aside from the insane Zelda 2, with tons of things that are one hit kills) and requires fairly intricate controls, seems like a mess unless they patch in some kind of simple mode.

But if it is really well done, could be the type of thing that makes me consider getting both a Labo VR (it is just $40, so not a big purchase even if I like VR more for casual play as I get headaches from it for any extended time) and Breath on Switch (have the Wii U version). As far as visuals go, isn’t the Wii U game pad just 480? Still think the game looks reasonably attractive on that.
Old 04-05-2019, 03:34 PM   #19
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbs2034 View Post
As far as visuals go, isn’t the Wii U game pad just 480? Still think the game looks reasonably attractive on that.
VR pushes a dual image. Cut the resolution of the Switch in half to get a rough idea of what to expect.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:24 PM   #20
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
VR pushes a dual image. Cut the resolution of the Switch in half to get a rough idea of what to expect.
Correct. Many people get confused by this.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch