Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49
11 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
5 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99
19 hrs ago
Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96
3 hrs ago
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$17.91
19 hrs ago
Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 04-10-2019, 10:17 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
-
-
-
Default Do you anticipate Fox catalog titles to increase in price now that Disney owns them?

Also, if you're a Dollar Tree shopper, you know Fox titles are being dumped for there. Will we start seeing a lot of Fox titles go out of print?

Update: Hold your fire. I know this is not a hot deal. I believe I posted this in the Blu-ray section and it got moved.

Last edited by Jar Jar Stinks; 04-10-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #2

Oct 2018

I'd guess that whatever stock is out there now for most Fox catalog titles is it. I can't imagine it makes financial sense for Disney to manufacture new copies of older movies on Blu-ray, considering how few of us are left still buying them. I'm sure Disney will keep putting out new releases and keep the biggest Fox hits in print on Blu/4K, but most of the catalog will live on Disney's streaming service. Seems like putting the catalog on that service was one of the main reasons Disney bought Fox.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:55 PM   #3

May 2010

Makes me depressed this may prevent Dr. Renault's Secret from getting released on blu-ray. It was the only title from the fox horror classics set that needed a blu-ray release and I thought it would be right around the corner. Unless a restoration was already done before the Disney merger I'm guessing we can forget about it.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:24 PM   #4
Power Member

Mar 2013

disney via disney movie club should release tv series that started blu and ended dvd only
Old 04-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #5
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar Jar Stinks View Post
Also, if you're a Dollar Tree shopper, you know Fox titles are being dumped for there. Will we start seeing a lot of Fox titles go out of print?

Update: Hold your fire. I know this is not a hot deal. I believe I posted this in the Blu-ray section and it got moved.
Hard to predict with Disney. It's entirely possible they'll continue repressing the existing catalog of titles where the work has already been done, with possibly minor changes to the artwork. Or they could go OOP, with the exception of family titles, like Ice Age, of course, Disney seems to have to reservations with those. We might even see more new additions to their DMR catalog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayboy2121 View Post
I'd guess that whatever stock is out there now for most Fox catalog titles is it. I can't imagine it makes financial sense for Disney to manufacture new copies of older movies on Blu-ray, considering how few of us are left still buying them. I'm sure Disney will keep putting out new releases and keep the biggest Fox hits in print on Blu/4K, but most of the catalog will live on Disney's streaming service. Seems like putting the catalog on that service was one of the main reasons Disney bought Fox.
If that were even half true you wouldn't see Target, etc. bothering to downsize their media dept, they'd be eliminating it. Physical media is still a huge seller. Nothing niche is sold at Walmart. NOTHING! Even though some here seem to like to think that BD is somehow niche, as if collecting it makes them special. It's not. Never was. If anything the customer base for physical is no longer growing, because younger generations have been duped into digital. But it's biggest losses have to date come from the rental market, which has gravitated that direction too, which is largely what studios were really after. But it's obvious, even Disney is aware that the existing collector base from the DVD/BD era is still largely intact, which is why we still see so much NEW support for physical and the renewed push even among majors for MOD catalog releases. IF studios could afford to abandon physical, make no mistake, they would. The fact that they don't is testament to how viable physical still is. But that insight doesn't get reported, because most internet news on the subject is mere marketing manipulation disguised as news, taking advantage of the inexperienced field of journalism that makes up the internet.

True, Disney's ultimate goal, as is the goal of every major studio, is to be the exclusive distributor of ALL of their properties via digital PPV license (no more long term licenses). No more Netflix, amazon, BB. That's what's so crazy about all these people who are still hung up on iTunes, as if that's the ONLY digital format they'll support. I hate to break it to them, but iTunes isn't going to be around forever, at least not licensing other people's properties. Though, it's entirely possible the majors will still license out to third party streamers after a lengthy period of exclusivity with their own servers. Possibly. Just as it's possible that physical will live on for many decades via premium (genuinely niche) boutique labels, like Criterion, but at prices we haven't seen since LD. That's why supporting digital even sporadically is a VERY BAD idea, only serving to divide market-share even further and result in higher prices for the format that isn't the current studio favorite.
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #6
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Disney more or less gutted out the Fox employees companywide. There is no Fox anymore as we know it. You have Disney executives now making decisions on the Fox catalog, and all their focus is attuned on the new streaming Disney+.

It means that most of the Fox catalog will go out of print on Blu-ray and won't be coming back to physical media outside of the very biggest hits. Exactly how Disney has run their own live-action catalog the past decade.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:07 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

This is a foregone conclusion. I remember before Disney purchased Marvel Entertainment, that you could buy their Blu-ray titles for around $14.99, from titles like Iron Man, Thor, Captain America and so on, the first phase titles. When Disney acquired the company, you're damn lucky if you can ever find those titles for less than $24.99.

Occasionally, you can find some of those titles at Walmart for $19.99. However, Disney's purchase of Marvel Entertainment has had a negative impact on the pricing structure of any Blu-ray title from Marvel Studios. Lucasfilm is the same way. Before Disney's purchase of the studio, you can always find Star Wars Blu-rays priced at sales discounts over the years, from Fox Studios. But, that has changed as they apply "Disney's pricing structure" to every title they release.

Expect the same kind of pricing structure on all Fox Studios Blu-ray release. I'm just happy as hell that I was able to find a copy of Aliens Quadrilogy as well as the Planet of the Apes 5-Film collection, at Big Lots for $5 each. The problem is that many of Fox Studio's movies have inadequate remastering on the Blu-rays. I was preparing to purchase the Die Hard complete film collection when I discovered that some customers who purchased it reported that the collection havs the wrong versions of the movie included in the sets.

Some of the issues regarding the 5-Film collection had to do with Live Free only containing the theatrical cut and didn't also include the Unrated cut on the same disk, low audio problems with the first two films and other issues.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping