Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$36.64
6 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$41.99
1 hr ago
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Re;surrection (Blu-ray)
$24.99
22 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Molly's Game (Blu-ray)
$5.00
17 hrs ago
Enemy Gold (Blu-ray)
$11.99
1 hr ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Dallas Connection (Blu-ray)
$11.99
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage

Old 04-27-2019, 01:07 PM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey Jack View Post
If I couldn't have sugar, salt and artificial preservatives, I would probably die. My biggest nightmare about the "stranded on a desert island" idea would be being forced to eat raw fish and coconuts 365 days a year.
Those are merely psychological needs. The biological needs include a certain amount of water, basic nutrients and enough calories to offset the energy yo burn every day.

Don't confuse your psychological needs with your body's actual physical needs.
Old 04-27-2019, 03:07 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Winnipeg, Canada

Outlawing bad food is like outlawing hate speech.

It SOUNDS like a good idea...

Until "hate speech" is defined by an appointed committee who doesn't agree with your point of view.

I've heard tomatoes described as a "superfood". Now I'm seeing reports about why you shouldn't eat tomatoes. I take a fiber supplement...and I just saw a video about why you should never take a fiber supplement.

This is definitely a situation where individuals need to take charge of their own choices.

Last edited by Dex Robinson; 04-28-2019 at 03:39 AM.
Thanks given by:
Cremildo (04-28-2019), InuYashaCrusade (04-28-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 08:11 PM   #23
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
I've heard tomatoes described as a "superfood". Now I'm seeing reports about why you shouldn't eat tomatoes. I take a fiber supplement...and I just saw a video about why should never take a fiber supplement.
Food scientists will generally say whatever they're paid to say. It's hard to keep up with their trends and they seem to vary from country to country.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:45 AM   #24
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex Robinson View Post
Outlawing bad food is like outlawing hate speech.

It SOUNDS like a good idea...

Until "hate speech" is defined by an appointed committee who doesn't agree with your point of view.

I've heard tomatoes described as a "superfood". Now I'm seeing reports about why you shouldn't eat tomatoes. I take a fiber supplement...and I just saw a video about why should never take a fiber supplement.

This is definitely a situation where individuals need to take charge of their own choices.
that's why i eat what the **** i wanna eat.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (04-28-2019), Steedeel (06-17-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 07:04 PM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naiera View Post
Isn't pizza legally considered a vegetable?
Legally, itís a composite food product.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2008
Pillars of Creation

Take away my Twinkies and you'll see a war on a cosmic scale you won't believe!
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (04-29-2019), sk33tr (05-03-2019), Steedeel (06-17-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 09:02 PM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2016

The American society would collapse upon itself. There's an estimated 660,000 restaurants (fast food included) and that's a lot of lost business/abandoned buildings.
Old 05-03-2019, 06:42 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Food scientists will generally say whatever they're paid to say. It's hard to keep up with their trends and they seem to vary from country to country.
Remove the word food from the first sentence and you're bang on the money.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:29 PM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Everyone would become a lot thinner.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:07 AM   #30
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
South FLA

we'd probably live 20 years longer...
gmo is the issue.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:54 PM   #31
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7q3 View Post
If the U.S. outlawed unhealthy food, what do you think would happen?

This means, any food with low or no nutritional value, would be against the law. So basically, practically everything outside of the produce aisle (fruits, vegetables, etc) would be against the law.

This means candy bars, potato chips, soda, etc, would be outlawed. It means all restaurants and fast food places would have to serve nutritional food only, or be shut down. Now obviously... a lot of people would be mad. I think that would be an understatement, since most people like and eat foods that aren't exactly of the highest nutritional value.

I think this is good idea, but I can't see most people willing to go along with it for the the long-term. The problem is this: most people don't eat healthy food only. They wouldn't want to give up their junk food, even though they are already aware it causes poor health.

What are your thoughts? What impact do you think this law would have on American society? How would people react?
Depends on what you mean by "candy" bar. Dark Chocolate has value as a healthy product when taken responsibly (don’t over-eat it). One piece of dark chocolate daily has proven to be beneficial for heart health. Milk and white chocolates are junk food, but dark chocolate is good for you (in moderation).
Thanks given by:
Michael1989 (06-02-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 04:58 AM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
Germany

Are the first steps outlawing unhealthy "food" already in progress? As of January 2019, the Coca-Cola Company in Germany replaced (quietly) most of their popular soft drinks with sugar free variations. These won't be made with sugar anymore:

Coca Cola Vanilla
Coca Cola Cherry
Fanta Strawberry
Fanta Mango
Fanta Lemon
Fanta Mandarine
Sprite
Mezzo-Mix (Coke & Orange)

On one of their German websites Coca-Cola declared "war on sugar" which is kind of ironic since the very foundation of Coca-Cola is build on drinks with high sugar content. They are not saying that sugar is bad, they are saying that too much sugar is bad. They also claim that artificial sweeteners are really not that unhealthy.

Why Germany was singled out is anyone's guess, though the Coca-Cola Company was criticised by the German Federal Ministry of Health in 2018 for contributing to a unhealthy lifestyle.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:11 AM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Alaska

The law would be a joke. Nobody would arrest someone for eating a Snickers.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #34
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7q3 View Post
If the U.S. outlawed unhealthy food, what do you think would happen?

This means, any food with low or no nutritional value, would be against the law. So basically, practically everything outside of the produce aisle (fruits, vegetables, etc) would be against the law.

This means candy bars, potato chips, soda, etc, would be outlawed. It means all restaurants and fast food places would have to serve nutritional food only, or be shut down. Now obviously... a lot of people would be mad. I think that would be an understatement, since most people like and eat foods that aren't exactly of the highest nutritional value.

I think this is good idea, but I can't see most people willing to go along with it for the the long-term. The problem is this: most people don't eat healthy food only. They wouldn't want to give up their junk food, even though they are already aware it causes poor health.

What are your thoughts? What impact do you think this law would have on American society? How would people react?
I wouldnít want to be in a world that dictates what I can and canít eat. I would rather die in my 60ís than live another 20 boring, junk food free years.

Everything in moderation is the key.
Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (06-18-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #35
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastCreatureTrapper View Post
I think what constitutes "unhealthy" will be point of contention.

A doughnut can be "healthy", the same way that asian noodles can be classed as unhealthy. Calories, fats, carbs, and sugars are a part of a healthy diet, too. What is "too low", or "no value"? It would be an endless debate.

I like the idea, only in that it would force people to try the produce aisle for a change, instead of falling back on the ridiculous arguments that eating healthy is too expensive.
There is a difference between being healthy and being restricted to the produce aisle. Just fruit and vegetables over seven days a week would get dull pretty quick.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:40 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
There is a difference between being healthy and being restricted to the produce aisle. Just fruit and vegetables over seven days a week would get dull pretty quick.
I didn't mean to imply that the produce aisle was the only avenue to healthy eating, cause it is surely not. My point was that just the introduction of the produce aisle to some people would be enough of a revelation on its own.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:58 PM   #37
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastCreatureTrapper View Post
I didn't mean to imply that the produce aisle was the only avenue to healthy eating, cause it is surely not. My point was that just the introduction of the produce aisle to some people would be enough of a revelation on its own.
Yeah, but thatís what the OP implied. Sorry, should have multi quoted.

Iím dead against being forced to do certain things. Itís a slippery slope.
Thanks given by:
BeastCreatureTrapper (06-18-2019), sk33tr (06-17-2019)
Old 06-17-2019, 05:04 PM   #38
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Kirksville, Missouri

Just read labels. Homemade brownies have like 5 ingredients. Little Debbie brownies have 50.

Flour, sugar, and eggs are natural. It's the chemicals companies put in food to replace those, that are bad.

I bet artificial blueberries in muffin mixes have a dozen components. Real blueberries have one.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:14 AM   #39
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Graham View Post
Just read labels. Homemade brownies have like 5 ingredients. Little Debbie brownies have 50.

Flour, sugar, and eggs are natural. It's the chemicals companies put in food to replace those, that are bad.

I bet artificial blueberries in muffin mixes have a dozen components. Real blueberries have one.
see that's what i do. i make my own brownies and use fresh blueberries for blueberry muffins.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:50 AM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Graham View Post

I don't know why, but I never thought about the reality of fake blueberries.

Which is a sad thought, because the actual blueberry is one of the healthiest foods around.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage