Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$89.99
13 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99
13 hrs ago
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49
4 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray)
$9.99
23 hrs ago
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$31.46

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 04-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013
Default Certain titles just not getting price drops

Can somebody explain to me why there are just certain titles that never have a solid price even on eBay.

In my case two most flagrant offenders are The Accountant 4K and Man of Steel 4k, I can't seem to find a single NEW copy of either title for less than $18, and in most cases those are European imports vs US based are like $25+. I have even checked for European imports the cheapest I've found was 30 GBP for both or about $38.75+ shipping.

Hell Captain America The First Avenger a NEW Disney release has been $18-20 (eBay) and it's only been out a month whereas these two titles haven't dropped after being out for years, and neither are really huge hits, just titles I want to get, but they just never seem to price drop either in retail or on Ebay.

I am sure there are other titles, but these kind of stick out to me since they are stuff I am looking for.

I mean disney rarely drops in the US but are always on sale in the UK etc, but just not these two titles, which aren't even both huge hits or releases.
Old 04-27-2019, 10:17 PM   #2

Jan 2018
USA

They were kind of on sale if you count the lengthy stretch where they were both available in Amazon's 3 for $50 deal. I also remember Man of Steel being on sale at BB for $15 during the last Black Friday weekend.

But I agree, there are some titles that just never seem to go on sale, with no rhyme or reason to it. Perhaps it's because of the fact that they are less popular that they don't go on sale. Hopefully Walmart will eventually have like a 7.99 4K bin or something for these types of movies.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
Special Member

Jul 2017
Small town Massachusetts

I can't figure it myself. There are a few I have been watching that I haven't noticed a drop in as well. Welcome to the Dollhouse, The Principal, The Crush. They will probably sit there for a lot longer unless I use a gift card or something~where I don't mind as much paying full price...
Old 05-20-2019, 05:43 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradsdadg View Post
I can't figure it myself. There are a few I have been watching that I haven't noticed a drop in as well. Welcome to the Dollhouse, The Principal, The Crush. They will probably sit there for a lot longer unless I use a gift card or something~where I don't mind as much paying full price...
All of those Allied Vaughn disc through WAC, Sony and Universal MOD programs are unlikely to have few price drops at least for the first year or two.

Deep Discount will occasionally have good deals on the WAC titles and of WBSHop 4/44 deals eventually for the non multidisc sets, but neither Sony nor Universal have such a track record.

FYE frequent 25% codes lately have gotten some of those discs into the $14-15 range and FYE seems to be having those kind of deals rather frequently over the last few months. Normally the prices are 10% off then the 25% on top makes some decent prices.

The cheapest way to get those MOD discs cheap has been during twice yearly B&N 40% off sale especially for members with the extra 10% discounts and so far they have allowed extra coupons to apply. The next expected 40% sale is usually the week leading into Fathers Day. Downside is this sale is mostly considered an in-store sale and the MOD are not carried in-store BUT B&N has a store based Ship to Home order system which allows them to create an order from the store computer and ship it direct from the warehouse to your home -- this allows in-store price, in-store member discount, and most often the in-store coupons to be applied.

Over Christmas with the bigger coupons, I got a ton of the Sony and Universal titles for $9-11ea. The Fathers Day sale usually has smaller coupons, but you should still be able to get most of them for 45-50% MSRP if you can work the sale. Even if you don't have a BN close by, many stores will create a ship-to-home order over the phone
Thanks given by:
Bradsdadg (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 07:24 PM   #5
Special Member

Aug 2017

Haven't seen any significant movement on Sony MOD anywhere except BN late last year, which sold out rather fast and BN deals are probably an exception, considering the financial troubles they're in. But Universal's MOD BDs have been pretty easy to find on DD with 15% off promos in the $13 range in the past after just a couple months. I think all of our Universal MODs have come from DD. Though, in addition to now charging taxes across the board, DD seems to have gotten a little greedier in their pricing lately. We haven't bought anything from them all year.

What I don't get is why the occasional mainstream new release like Johnny English Strikes Again has taken SO long just to get down to a reasonable price. The standard BD hovered around $30 (basically UHD or 3D premiums) up until recently. It's finally below $20, but one would expect it to have fallen that low within the first month and down to $15 (on sale of course) , like everything else released when it was. I would have picked it up for $15 months ago, but now that they've waited so long, I probably won't bite until it hits closer to $10.
Thanks given by:
Bradsdadg (05-20-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:09 PM   #6
Special Member

Jul 2017
Small town Massachusetts

Thank you To be honest I didn't keep a huge eye out on other pricing outside of Amazon. I do have a B&N membership, originally for the Criterion sales and all. Going forward I'll check DD and B&N out as well. FYE can be pretty good, though I really get turned off going in there when they try and hard sell me different memberships and discounts at the register
Old 05-21-2019, 01:49 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

If they keep having these constant 25% off codes, I seriously might consider adding a Backstage Pass,

A lot of the Sony MOD are $21 so 15-16 with the 25% off codes.

OTOH with an already paid BN membership $13.50 minus coupons and Discounted GC is really hard to beat since that could get you into net $10 range for Sony's and $7-8 for Universal
Thanks given by:
Bradsdadg (05-21-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping