Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Wildlife (Blu-ray)
$29.49
7 hrs ago
Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
14 hrs ago
Six Moral Tales (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

First Reformed (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Scorsese Shorts (Blu-ray)
$36.64
10 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 07-05-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA
Default Prime Day 2019 Questions

With Prime Day coming up, I wanted to ask if anyone has participated in this before and what kind of prices to expect. I'm more interested in buying Blu-rays but I'd like to know what kind of prices and discounts and if the titles that are discounted are random or is it on every item they sell?
Old 07-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2017

Last year, amazon was more aggressive with deals for their Prime Day than they have been for BF lately. The prime day specific deals were pretty much confined to their deals of the day page, which, last year, they SEVERELY crippled navigation by changing the layout to something that was VERY non-user-friendly. Unlike their standard lightning deals page they run year round, it's almost impossible to see what deals are coming up, so you can plan for them, as if they expect people to sit by their computers constantly on that day. Hopefully they'll be smarter this year. I bought a couple things I didn't expect last year and probably would have bought more if their system wasn't so dysfunctional on that sale day. They did the same thing last BF. I don't recall many movies for sale. Those are often either negotiated by the vendor or instituted by the studio. With studios heavy handed pushing of their digital holy grail to both consumers and vendors, sales of physical are slowly drying up. But otherwise prime day IS the new Black Friday where amazon is concerned. Most of their better BF deals in November are mere pricematches of Wallyworld, BB, Target, Gamestop, etc.
Thanks given by:
hagios (07-07-2019), kemcha (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 05:27 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Thanks. It sounds like Prime Day is a disaster just waiting to happen. I was planning on loading about $50 on my debit card but from what you're talking about, it appears to be very limited. Doesn't make any sense to be encouraged by Prime Day if it's only limited to daily deals. Thanks for the reply. I was hoping on maybe getting some MCU Blu-rays but it doesn't look like that will be the case. I was also hoping to grab The Expanse Blu-ray sets but that looks like to be a bust as well. I'll just continue to buy them piecemeal, as I recently did with The Flash Blu-ray season sets.

Appreciate the information.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:47 AM   #4

Nov 2016

If you spend $10 in whole foods .. and scan your whole foods apps' QR code - you get a $10 promotion to spend on Prime Day (July 15-16)
Thanks given by:
deltatauhobbit (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

I don't think I've ever bought a Blu-ray on Prime Day, they never seem to have any good deals or they sell out too quickly since they're essentially lightning deals. I once got a good deal on a laminator though so there's that.

I'm hoping that 55gal drum of lube comes back on Prime Day
https://observer.com/2015/07/at-1k-5...ays-best-deal/
Old 07-08-2019, 07:36 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Those lightning deals happen all year round. I picked up this nice case/bag for toting around my Amazon Fire tablets. The deal I got a few months back was a $10 discount off the shoulder bag. But, yeah. It just sounds like Prime Day is a big fail on Amazon's part. They should have Prime Day applied to the majority of items on their store. But, I have no desire to buy useless Blu-ray titles that Amazon picks that aren't really selling that well.

Prime Day feels more like the red-headed stepchild of merchandise on Amazon's store that they simply just want to get rid of. I wouldn't mind picking up some boxed sets at $10 off or more and I'm kind of very selective when it comes to Blu-rays I want to purchase.
Old 07-09-2019, 12:44 AM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-
-

My general memories are of virtually no deals. Many of their Sale items were more expensive than on a normal day, many of their LD seemed to have 4-5 copies and sold out within milliseconds of the Live Time, 70-80% of the LD were the same price or more expensive than the day before and confirmed by 3-Camel which doesn't even track LD.

3rd Tier TVs, tons of OK deals on Amazon branded items (Alexa, Dots, Fires, Kindles, Amazon Basics, Fire Cases, etc). The only deal I think I've done on Prime Day has been for Amazon GC where they spot you an extra $10 for buying $30-50
Old 07-09-2019, 04:26 AM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2017
Cow Country

There will be a worker strike, don't think this will impact shopping on prime day, but don't expect to get your stuff on time. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amazon-...-in-minnesota/
Old 07-11-2019, 07:58 AM   #9
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
My general memories are of virtually no deals. Many of their Sale items were more expensive than on a normal day, many of their LD seemed to have 4-5 copies and sold out within milliseconds of the Live Time, 70-80% of the LD were the same price or more expensive than the day before and confirmed by 3-Camel which doesn't even track LD.

3rd Tier TVs, tons of OK deals on Amazon branded items (Alexa, Dots, Fires, Kindles, Amazon Basics, Fire Cases, etc). The only deal I think I've done on Prime Day has been for Amazon GC where they spot you an extra $10 for buying $30-50
Amazon doesn't really have to offer sale prices, they just have to say something is on sale and the amazon faithful will fall for it every time; they'll even know the difference. But, again, unlike previous years, they had some surprisingly good deals last prime day (much better than their sales at BF last year if you don't count all the pathetically obvious pricematching), just not on media. But, yeah, I can't get too excited about prime day either. That said, I no longer trust Camel's tracking: I don't think lightning deals or even deals of the day last long enough for camel to register those. I've seen TOO many items drop in price for days and camel never updated. So, I assume they don't factor in sales in their graphs, unless it lasts for roughly a week.

Looks like Target plans to counter amazon those two days next week with a sale of their own. Maybe they'll have some good deals on media.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:03 AM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

The thing is that Amazon or some retailer will announce something like this and they'll get the foot traffic into their stores or more consumers to visit their retail site, convince them to buy an Amazon prime subscription, and that's all she wrote. Prime Day has never been about getting good deals. Only in getting more consumers to sign up for Amazon Prime.

I have Amazon Prime but I never watch any of the Amazon Prime videos they offer, despite getting daily email reminders to do so. Sometimes I think Amazon is in league with the ISPs to get you to consume all of your data so you can get charged for more.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #11
Special Member

Aug 2017

Surprisingly, amazon has already posted about a dozen movie deals for prime day in their lightning deals page. Not many, but it currently only goes through noon on Monday, so there may be more. And some of amazon's best deals in the past have tended to pop up without prior warning.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #12
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Well, I ordered what I needed. Replaced my current damaged smartphone with a new replacement so I needed a new case for the new phone. Ended up finally receiving the $25 promo credit for using the Amazon app for the first time so I ended up using that credit to order a 128GB Micro SD card for my Amazon Fire HD 7 (9th Gen, 2019) that I purchased as a replacement for my old iPod Classic. That was $20.99, it's normal price was around $79.99. I was using a 32GB Micro SD card.

So, I ended up ordering what I needed. But, I'm kind of disappointed in Amazon's Prime Day ... it's like having to spend three months during the summer to watch the conclusion of a TV series seasonal cliffhanger only to be disappointed. Reminds me of the season finale of Star Trek: TNG Best of Both Worlds. Episode ends on a major awesome cliffhanger (Season 3 Finale) but when it returns (Season 4), it kind fizzles out, a big disappointment.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:00 PM   #13
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcha View Post
Well, I ordered what I needed. Replaced my current damaged smartphone with a new replacement so I needed a new case for the new phone. Ended up finally receiving the $25 promo credit for using the Amazon app for the first time so I ended up using that credit to order a 128GB Micro SD card for my Amazon Fire HD 7 (9th Gen, 2019) that I purchased as a replacement for my old iPod Classic. That was $20.99, it's normal price was around $79.99. I was using a 32GB Micro SD card.

So, I ended up ordering what I needed. But, I'm kind of disappointed in Amazon's Prime Day ... it's like having to spend three months during the summer to watch the conclusion of a TV series seasonal cliffhanger only to be disappointed. Reminds me of the season finale of Star Trek: TNG Best of Both Worlds. Episode ends on a major awesome cliffhanger (Season 3 Finale) but when it returns (Season 4), it kind fizzles out, a big disappointment.
You know Prime day doesn't actually start until tomorrow (Monday, July 15) right? Hardly any of the deals have been revealed so far and those that have, aren't actually on sale yet, nor have their sale prices been revealed.

You can't trust most SRPs listed on amazon anymore. You've got to crosscheck with other vendors, like BB, Target, Walmart or even ebay to get an idea of your real savings, if any. Half the SRPs on amazon are fabricated by third party vendors and are extremely deceptive, if not flat out fraudulent. You can never trust the posted SRP on amazon. Even on prime day and BF, amazon rarely offers the kind of liquidation discounting they used offer, routinely. Most often, if the price is over 60% off, the MSRP has since been lowered but hasn't been updated on amazon - which often takes months - or is utterly meaningless for the product category. You can sometimes catch third party vendors stuck in an automated price war for a great deal. But most of Chinese goods being sold on amazon have fabricated SRPs based on the prices of similar US products, and are even cheaper than amazons top lightning deals when bought from places like Banggood or Gearbest. Where, most of the US wares amazon actually still sells themselves, are mere price-matches of their very biggest competitors, like Walmart and Target.

Last edited by JurassicBD; 07-14-2019 at 11:23 PM.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:29 AM   #14
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014
Maine, USA

Since many deals sell out quickly, here's a tip, if there's something that slightly interested you, buy it right away but pick the no-rush shipping speed (so you'll also get $1 digital credit). That gives you enough time to research whether it was a good deal and if it wasn't you have plenty of time to cancel. If you go with the 2-day shipping speed, sometimes they'll put it in process pretty quickly and you won't be able to cancel even if it was only an hour earlier.
Old 07-15-2019, 04:52 AM   #15

Dec 2016

Looks like the Walker Texas Ranger complete series will be on sale...hopefully at a good discount.
Old 07-15-2019, 05:20 AM   #16
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltatauhobbit View Post
Since many deals sell out quickly, here's a tip, if there's something that slightly interested you, buy it right away but pick the no-rush shipping speed (so you'll also get $1 digital credit). That gives you enough time to research whether it was a good deal and if it wasn't you have plenty of time to cancel. If you go with the 2-day shipping speed, sometimes they'll put it in process pretty quickly and you won't be able to cancel even if it was only an hour earlier.
Amazon gives you about 15 minutes time to research, before the deal expires, once it's been added to your cart too. Oddly their deals don't seem to sell out as fast when they're exclusive to prime. The deal is supposedly locked once it's in your cart, for the 15 min that is. But they end a LOT of promotions prematurely on the lightning deals page. Still haven't figured out why that happens SO much. Happened to me not too long ago on a flashlight. I complained about them advertising a deal and then as soon as it went live, for about 10-20 minutes, I tried to place it in my cart, but it wasn't working. Then suddenly it went to "deal has ended" showing 0% sold! They said the manufacturer wouldn't let them advertise the price that low. So they had to pull the promotion. But they sent me a coupon to buy it at the advertised price anyway. In this case it was actually a third party vendor doing the lightning deal, as is the case with most of their LDs now.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:37 AM   #17

Mar 2011
Houston, TX

OMG! Wow a 3 dollar price drop for The Equalizer 2 4K.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:52 AM   #18
Power Member

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis243 View Post
OMG! Wow a 3 dollar price drop for The Equalizer 2 4K.
But 20% off nearly every other blu-ray or 4k.

I don't have prime, but that's not so bad.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:13 AM   #19
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctujackbauer View Post
But 20% off nearly every other blu-ray or 4k.

I don't have prime, but that's not so bad.
Not sure about that "nearly every other Blu-ray" part. So far, it's only worked on one out of a couple dozen I've tried. The frustrating part is that it doesn't say from the item page whether it's included or not and I don't have time to sort through 70 plus pages of movies. Though, going through checkout with each one to see if it takes isn't much better. At least we can sort what's to come this year... so far anyway.

Last edited by JurassicBD; 07-15-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #20
Expert Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicBD View Post
Not sure about that "nearly every other Blu-ray" part. So far, it's only worked on one out of a couple dozen I've tried. The frustrating part is that it doesn't say from the item page whether it's included or not and I don't have time to sort through 70 plus pages of movies. Though, going through checkout with each one to see if it takes isn't much better. At least we can sort what's to come this year... so far anyway.
It will say Prime Day Deal in blue under the price on the search listing or under the price on the right side of the page on the actual listing.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping