Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
1 hr ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
11 hrs ago
Ponyo (Blu-ray)
$21.49
21 hrs ago
Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Tom & Jerry: Golden Collection, Volume One (Blu-ray)
$21.49

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Titans: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$22.99
17 hrs ago
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

Spider-Man Limited Edition 4K Collection (Blu-ray)
$43.71
1 hr ago
Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping

Old 07-21-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
Special Member

Aug 2017
Amazon amazon selling resealed movies as brand new?!?!?

We just received yet another "brand new" Blu-ray, shipped AND sold by amazon, with a digital code that had already been redeemed.

This happened just a month or so back with a Universal Pictures BD. We just assumed someone mistyped their code and inadvertently redeemed ours. However this week we had it happen again, but with a title from Warner Bros. Both looked professionally shrinkwrapped, the discs were spotless, and they even came with slipcovers. But curiously, both had a sticker over the barcode cutout on the slipcover that had to be removed just to slid the case out, as it was stuck to both the shrinkwrap and the slip. I wish I looked at what the sticker said, before tearing it into pieces while removing it. The sticker looked rather like something amazon would put on a used movie they used to ship.

We're left to assume that either amazon is re-shrinkwrapping opened returns and reselling them as new or the studio is and shipping them back to amazon without testing or replacing the codes. I imagine amazon's system would catch it if customers were returning re-shrinkwrapped movies, unless most of the people buying them aren't actually redeeming their digital vouchers, and thus don't know they're bad.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
Power Member

Jun 2014

I would like to point out the irony that someone whose Avatar means no digital is getting no digital in his releases. Perhaps they know you
Thanks given by:
bigjim25 (08-07-2019), dorothyv (07-21-2019), dr. wai (01-28-2020), estrus (07-21-2019), jdw89 (07-22-2019), kuzronk (07-22-2019), Lemmy Lugosi (12-17-2019), RodChester (07-21-2019), Sandersobsessed (07-21-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Special Member

Aug 2017

If only smart technology was half that smart, it might actually be worth the extra price.

But, seriously, we can't be the only one's this has happened to, considering it's happened to us twice in only a few months.
Old 07-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #4

Apr 2015

Happened to me, too. Went to open the cellophane on a brand new Paramount 4k movie I had ordered and found that there was no 4k disc or digital code. Sending it back before I go to work today.
Thanks given by:
JurassicBD (07-23-2019)
Old 07-22-2019, 11:36 PM   #5

Feb 2016

If there was a sticker/label covering the barcode that looks like what you would get with a used item, Amazon may have pulled a "new" copy from the inventory of a Fulfilled-By-Amazon third party seller instead of their own stock. When FBA sellers send in their inventory to the Amazon warehouse, they place such a label on each item.

I had this happen once, where the third-party seller added their inventory to the incorrect item listing. I ordered the standard Blu-ray of The Wizard of Oz, brand new, sold by Amazon. Instead, I received the 3D Blu-ray with UV code, with the FBA label covering up the original slashed barcode. Since the barcode on the label scanned correctly, the Amazon warehouse workers wouldn't have known it was the incorrect item. I didn't complain, as I ended up with the disc I ordered in the first place, plus bonus items.
Thanks given by:
JurassicBD (07-23-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 01:23 AM   #6
Special Member

Aug 2017

It just happened again!! This time they didn't even try to hide it. There was a Media Rtn Wh sticker and another yellow Fox sticker over that on the case underneath the shrinkwrap of Men of Honor (shipped and sold by amazon).

Last edited by JurassicBD; 08-08-2019 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:17 AM   #7
Special Member

Aug 2017

Looks like amazon has finally shut down all their old emails. All the one's I've tried bounced. I know it's a complete waste of time talking to chat - they're all kinds of clueless frauds from past experience. Oh well, I tried to save amazon some money. Guess I'll have to go through the trouble of an exchange to see if that gets it escalated when I return a beat up case with third party stickers all over it with a note that it was advertised as new. Really wish I returned Nancy Drew too now, instead of getting a new code from Warner. 3 used movies, advertised as new, in roughly only 2 months!?!?! That's a serious problem that NEEDS to be investigated! We've bought more movies from both Target and BB online this year, and aside from some bad packaging from BB and scratched up standard DVDs in combo packs (seems that's the only way Lionsgate makes 'em anymore), we've had no issues.

Oh, how I miss the amazon that still cared, or that at least did a great job faking it, as seems more likely the case now.

Last edited by JurassicBD; 08-08-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:29 AM   #8
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

The truth of the matter is that Amazon doesn't care anymore about selling physical media - check the long backorder times for sale items, new releases quickly going into backorder soon after release date, sketchy packaging, non-competitive pricing on anything they aren't matching from other retailers, the list goes on and on.

The writing is on the wall. They want out of media sooner rather than later, which is frightening because they all but eliminated the other net retailers for media. There's virtually no one left to pick up the slack.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:01 AM   #9
Special Member

Aug 2017

I'm not sure amazon really cares about selling anything themselves. They seem more content with hosting other vendors. They've been devolving into something of a more reputable ebay ever since the tax thing and are rapidly losing credibility even there. Where ebay has been trying to be more like amazon for years, at the chagrin of all the smaller sellers. Amazon has become almost dependent on giving Chinese manufacturers a more direct line to the US, so they at least appear to offer competitive prices of their own, since most of these brands can't be found at Walmart, Target, etc. Yet they can usually be had for even less elsewhere, including ebay. Fortunate for amazon, the majority of their loyal clientele is less interested in competitive prices than convenience. But they're going to lose their remaining faithful, eventually, if they keep down this road of shipping damaged goods as brand new, and generic knock-offs that don't hold up.

Amazon had a surprising number of good media deals on prime day(s) though, which it appears they've now even openly stated is their BF. I guess that way the rest of the world looks like they're competing with them still instead of the other way around like on the real BF in recent years. Of course, as it turns out, a LOT of amazon's PD media deals were still just secretly pricematching Target's 20% promotion, and rather badly, considering most were excluded and so many weren't even getting a full 20% discount at checkout.

I think we've tended to give stores most of the credit for the deals we see, when just as much credit should go to the studios themselves. With Corporate Hollywood solely and so utterly interested in driving their digital holy grail, they're just feeding the collector market as an afterthought they can't afford to give up yet, but don't want to actively encourage younger generations, to continue that route. Kids (and I use that term broadly, as it obviously applies to the gullibility of many college age adults too) believe just about anything Hollywood sells them, in their effort to be in style or accepted.

But even if a retailer initiates negotiating a special sale with the publisher, which they're less encouraged to considering they know there will be virtually no corresponding marketing to further support their own sale, they're more likely to meet resistance from studios not far enough along with their digital campaign to want a lower priced physical product cutting into their market. So we mostly see sales of underperforming titles and the gradual devalue of overstock, testing the market's patience with $10, before they liquidate the rest in November for $5 to people who didn't really want it in the first place and maybe some scalpers.

But, yeah, it's really sad that amazon has driven so much of their competition to close. With Hollywood itself having lost interest in continuing to grow the physical market nearly a decade ago, it's a losing proposition for any upstart, even if the physical market is holding on more stubbornly than they anticipated. Even prompting something of a renewal via MOD and boutique labels in recent years. Still we're ultimately left with the surviving big-box stores, which can only justify allocating space to new releases and the theme of the month, with maybe some trashbin of overstocks piled up in such an unappealing way as to intimidate most buyers regardless of the discount.

It could be a different scenario if the likes of DeepDiscount hadn't sold out so many years ago to a parent company with no ambition, nor genuine love for the products it sells, or the collector market it seemingly depends on. They've almost become part of the problem. And boutique labels like Twilight Time exploiting consumer ignorance as a marketing ploy, at a time when digital was still all talk and hadn't even made much of a dent in the rental market yet - the major victim Hollywood was after with their push for digital, thanks in large to Blockbuster Video. Seeing much better labels, like Shout, seemingly adopt the same strategy in recent years is just disheartening when some of these players have become such a fundamental avenue for older and smaller films.

Last edited by JurassicBD; 08-08-2019 at 08:32 AM.
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (08-09-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 05:51 AM   #10

Oct 2019
Default You Are Not Alone - Amazon Sells Used Movies As New

We have also purchased a number of movies from Amazon this month. I just commented to a friend that Amazon sellers (Sold by "XYZ" but shipped by Amazon) are reselling used movies as new. I ordered no less than 40 movies from Amazon and 12 of the digital codes do not work. I have noted the sellers for my purposes. I even had an Angry Birds 3D movie shipped to me that was molded on the inside but the outside slip cover was in perfect condition.

I called Amazon customer service immediately. The rep emailed me a code to my phone told me to take the movie to any UPS Store and they would ship it back for me. When they received the item back at the warehouse she would issue the credit. 3 days later I received the credit. I was so pissed about the moldy movie I will only buy movies "Sold and Shipped by Amazon." No more 3rd party vendors movies. They are making a killing selling used movies at new prices.

Last edited by A Reel Cinema @ Home; 10-29-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:08 AM   #11
Special Member

Aug 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Reel Cinema @ Home View Post
We have also purchased a number of movies from Target this month. I just commented to a friend that Amazon sellers (Sold by "XYZ" but shipped by Amazon) are reselling used movies as new. I ordered no less than 40 movies from Amazon and 12 of the digital codes do not work. I have noted the sellers for my purposes. I even had an Angry Birds 3D movie shipped to me that was molded on the inside but the outside slip cover was in perfect condition.

I called Amazon customer service immediately. The rep emailed me a code to my phone told me to take the movie to any UPS Store and they would ship it back for me. When they received the item back at the warehouse she would issue the credit. 3 days later I received the credit. I was so pissed about the moldy movie I will only buy movies "Sold and Shipped by Amazon." No more 3rd party vendors movies. They are making a killing selling used movies at new prices.
Sadly, as previously stated, buying direct from amazon (shipped and sold by) is no longer safe either, since they mix third party "new" inventory in with their own. We've received four used BDs (3 with used codes, 1 with retail stickers underneath the shrinkwrap on a heavily worn case) this year so far. ALL were shipped and sold by amazon. ALL were supposed to be new.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:36 AM   #12
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2012

I have more trouble with *obvious* shipping damage than anything to do with Prime/Shipped/Sold By/Gort/Third Party/

Just ship it back! All Good, dude.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:07 PM   #13
Special Member

Aug 2017

You're right, it's perfectly reasonable to have to return/exchange every other thing we purchase. That's no trouble or inconvenience at all. We have a better solution, and are giving more of our money to companies that are actually trying, or at least that don't apparently have more customers than they can competently handle.

Problem with shipping damage from amazon is that it's rarely "obvious" that it actually occurred in shipping. We've received too many orders in pristine boxes that were already badly damaged apparently before they were ever shipped, but amazon shipped them anyway. Considering they use padded mailers for everything they can get away with these days, it's rarely clear when the damage might have happened.

And now they're doing away with packaging completely it seems. We've received several orders recently where they just slapped a label on the manufacturers box - very irksome, considering one was an extremely, EXTREMELY fragile item, and the other intended as a gift and there's no way to remove the label without damaging the artwork on the box too.

Last edited by JurassicBD; 10-29-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Thanks given by:
Cremildo (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #14
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicBD View Post
And now they're doing away with packaging completely it seems...
Huh, really?

I hope the BDs that are being delivered today are packaged.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:53 PM   #15
Special Member

Aug 2017

At this point, I wouldn't put it past them.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:10 PM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2012

Quote:
At this point, I wouldn't put it past them.

Sorry to disappoint, but they're perfect!

[Show spoiler]

Old 10-31-2019, 07:52 AM   #17
Special Member

Aug 2017

Now you're just gloating. Seriously, I wish half our amazon movies still arrived like that. I remember the good old days when all our amazon deliveries came from Kentucky and nothing was ever damaged. Of course they shrinkwrapped everything to a platter inside a properly sized box back then and shipped all prime deliveries 1 or 2 day (max including handling time) UPS for $79 per year. Versus $120 per year, 2-4 day shipping speeds for prime (our PO is partially to blame for that according to tracking), 1-2 day handling, and they've now got a distribution center only a half hour away from us.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:42 AM   #18
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2012

Quote:
Now you're just gloating.
Believe me, I was scared, anticipating some sort of damage to them. That's one of the main reasons I try to make my purchases in-store when possible, but it wasn't for these titles in my area. Didn't mean to gloat; just lucky.
Old 11-01-2019, 06:51 PM   #19
Special Member

Aug 2017

I wasn't really being serious about the gloating part. I assumed your previous post was in jest as well. Or do you think I have some anti-amazon agenda? I assure you I don't. I genuinely miss the years when I could order from the company with peace of mind.
Thanks given by:
strumdogg (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 07:06 PM   #20
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2012

Quote:
I wasn't really being serious about the gloating part. I assumed your previous post was in jest as well. Or do you think I have some anti-amazon agenda? I assure you I don't. I genuinely miss the years when I could order from the company with peace of mind.
OK, good. I assumed yours was in jest as well.

And yes, I too miss the days of boxes and padding.
Thanks given by:
JurassicBD (11-01-2019), Lemmy Lugosi (12-17-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > Retail/Shopping