Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.26
16 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.80
7 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Fifth Element 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.76
12 hrs ago
Sonic the Hedgehog 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.21

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.74
21 hrs ago
The Hunt for Red October 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Terminator: Dark Fate 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 12-09-2019, 06:13 AM   #401
Banned

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
In your defense, this reminds me of home audio. I did ten years of sound and stage theatrical lighting...in the 2000's, I got a new 6.1 receiver with dts-es, and every time I wanted to watch a movie actually encoded with dts-es, I had to manually adjust the speaker levels to re-balance the room (I'm looking at you, Lord of the Rings). Then reset everything for standard audio.

So, in a way, we are our own projectionist, and if we want to adjust here and there for a specific film, that's exactly what we would expect a good projectionist on his or her game to do. My point was (and is) I suspect this display could look even better, there are tech layers here that I got lapped by and I'm playing catch-up, and default factory settings are generic, while my living room is specific. There's no way, despite however hundreds of millions of dollars spent on development, that Sony knows the color of paint on my walls, the brightness of the ceiling, the location of my windows, just like people who manufacture receivers don't know what kind of sound space or even speakers that it will have to work with. Hardwood floor? Thick carpet? Heavy drapes? Open room? Enclosed room? No idea. So it's up to the consumer to puzzle these things out for what works for them. Tune for the room.
Yes, we are absolutely our own projectionists. You don’t need to pay someone to adjust your TV for your room’s ambience and time of day’s light. And you don’t need some HDR calibration disc (which doesn’t really even exist). You know what these movies look like. Starting with a good movie preset on your TV, it then only takes quick adjustment to dial it all in. After watching so much film and movies and doing technical work, I can dial in a new UHD in under 90 seconds. It’s really the only way, otherwise not everything will look good. This idea (obsession) that a TV has to be perfect and if the movie doesn’t look good so be it as that’s what it is, is silly IMO. Especially when it takes so little effort to make it much better.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #402
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noremac Mij View Post
Yes, we are absolutely our own projectionists. You don’t need to pay someone to adjust your TV for your room’s ambience and time of day’s light. And you don’t need some HDR calibration disc (which doesn’t really even exist). You know what these movies look like. Starting with a good movie preset on your TV, it then only takes quick adjustment to dial it all in. After watching so much film and movies and doing technical work, I can dial in a new UHD in under 90 seconds. It’s really the only way, otherwise not everything will look good. This idea (obsession) that a TV has to be perfect and if the movie doesn’t look good so be it as that’s what it is, is silly IMO. Especially when it takes so little effort to make it much better.
You don't know my TV, Jim. There are sub-menus to sub-menus to sub-menus, multiple sliders just for the color red.

Funny story about James Cameron...he brought his home television into the mastering booth when Fox was making the Special Edition laserdisc of Aliens, and he didn't want to change any settings on his TV, he wanted the film to look like he wanted it to on his home tv. So the techs had to basically use James Cameron's home TV to master the SE cut of Aliens on laserdisc.

Guess what happened.

Geoff, would you like to take the floor?

EDIT

Since my display is down, I'm using my HP Envy laptop I bought in May and bluetoothing out to the receiver...thing is obnoxiously huge and heavy, it's basically a portable display. Anyway, I haven't touched the settings, just checked the Disney+ version of the Wampa Cave....looks absolutely nothing like that comparison video, no Fellowship of the Ring green push at all. Premature to call "bullshit", but something's amiss.

As awesome as my laptop is, it isn't a 4K home theater display, so...I'll check back in whenever Paul is done with his post-Black Friday home installation overload and fixes my display. I figure that's what's going on with Paul. Everybody bought new TVs and he's slammed with home installation. See, I'm all forgiving like that (mutters "shitbag" under breath).

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 12-09-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #403
Banned

Aug 2018

Oh I'm well aware of the story. Believe me.

All modern TVs have similar menus.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #404
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Ohio

[QUOTE=Ernest Rister;17142796]. This is a 3D 4K HDR display with a myriad of interlocking settings. Messing with /QUOTE]

What TV is this?
Old 12-09-2019, 07:48 AM   #405
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
Oh I'm well aware of the story. Believe me.

All modern TVs have similar menus.
I was making your point for you that consumers are their own projectionists. Cameron is the author of that film, he wanted it to look the best it could on his home display. Reasonable. Problem is, everybody else is everybody else, in so many varieties of viewership. We don't all have James Cameron's home television from 1992. We can't ALL be James Cameron. I think there's only one of those.

Now, on the off-chance James Cameron is actually reading this, where's the god-damned ABYSS already...

Last edited by Ernest Rister; 12-09-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #406
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

[quote=Trekkie313;17143244]
Quote:
. This is a 3D 4K HDR display with a myriad of interlocking settings. Messing with /QUOTE]

What TV is this?
Sony Bravia XBR 55X930D. It ain't magic or nothing, it was one of the last 4K HDR 3D models from Sony. Doesn't have DolbyVision and never will.
Thanks given by:
Trekkie313 (12-09-2019)
Old 12-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #407
Banned

Aug 2018

Quote:
I was making your point for you that consumers are their own projectionists. Cameron is the author of that film, he wanted it to look the best it could on his home display. Reasonable. Problem is, everybody else is everybody else, in so many varieties of viewership. We don't all have James Cameron's home television from 1992. We can't ALL be James Cameron. I think there's only one of those.

Now where's the god-damned ABYSS already...
The Abyss? Get yourself the widescreen SE laserdisc boxset. It's absolutely exquisite in both video and sound. Significantly better (and much clearer) than the pink DVD or the teal broadcast.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:46 AM   #408
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
The Abyss? Get yourself the widescreen SE laserdisc boxset. It's absolutely exquisite in both video and sound. Significantly better (and much clearer) than the pink DVD or the teal broadcast.
I have that, it was exquisite...in 1993.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:49 AM   #409
Banned

Aug 2018

Quote:
I have that, it was exquisite...in 1993.
You should see what I can do with it on a state of the art OLED and the best Pioneer LD player.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:11 AM   #410
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
You should see what I can do with it on a state of the art OLED and the best Pioneer LD player.
I'm sure...I've never dispatched or discarded my LD collection...people ask me questions about various bonus features and differences and what not, ask me to go checking things from the LD (Disney fans, mostly)...bit of a pain in the ass, really. I get nothing out of it other than shutting people up. No, I'm not Nice Guy Rister all the time. Sometimes I just want quiet.

Anyway, back to that Empire 4K comparison video...none of the screengrabs resemble what I'm seeing on the laptop streaming from Disney+. I don't know what's going on there in that video, but the streaming screen-grabs the person took is most definitely not what I'm seeing.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:28 AM   #411
Banned

Aug 2018

Quote:
I'm sure...I've never dispatched or discarded my LD collection...people ask me questions about various bonus features and differences and what not, ask me to go checking things from the LD (Disney fans, mostly)...bit of a pain in the ass, really. I get nothing out of it other than shutting people up. No, I'm not Nice Guy Rister all the time. Sometimes I just want quiet.

Anyway, back to that Empire 4K comparison video...none of the screengrabs resemble what I'm seeing on the laptop streaming from Disney+. I don't know what's going on there in that video, but the streaming screen-grabs the person took is most definitely not what I'm seeing.
You can't be serious? Why would his video match with what you're seeing on your laptop? Which is most likely not HDR (if it does have it is it enabled?) capable and definitely does not support Dolby Vision. Further, it's probably set to one of the cooler color temperatures. He's using his equipment and you're using your's and I'm using mine. None of them are going to match.

Once you get a Dolby Vision capable TV and use proper color temperature (usually the warmest setting warm2/3), then maybe we can see how it compares to the You Tube video.

While the videos are only for entertainment purposes and nothing else, they get the overall look on how HDR/DV looks like in real life much closer than any SDR converted screenshots on capsaholic. It's never going to match exactly. Geoff thinks they look greenish (would be interesting to know what he's watching them on), sure, whatever. Still closer than anything on capsaholic. This SDR/HDR/DV/tone mapping business is really messing with people's minds.

Last edited by Noremac Mij; 12-09-2019 at 09:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #412
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
You can't be serious? Why would his video match with what you're seeing on your laptop? Which is most likely not HDR capable and definitely does not support Dolby Vision. Further, it's probably set to one of the cooler color temperatures and PC colors.
True...should've sprang for the extra $200 for the 4k screen on it, but I figured 4K at 19" was ultimately silly. Yeah, it's 19". Weighs over ten pounds. It's a bit obnoxious, really, but my wife is into photography. Bought it because we were doing the video montage for her grandmother's funeral, and had to upgrade to get the project done.

Quote:
Once you get a Dolby Vision capable TV and use proper color temperature (usually the warmest setting warm2/3), then maybe we can see how it compares to the You Tube video.

While the videos are only for entertainment purposes and nothing else, they get the overall look on how HDR/DV looks like in real life much closer than any SDR converted screenshots on capsaholic. It's never going to match exactly. Geoff thinks they look greenish (would be interesting to know what he's watching them on), sure, whatever. Still closer than anything on capsaholic. This SDR/HDR/DV/tone mapping business is really messing with people's minds.
The YouTube screen grab of the Wampa cave sure looks Reagan McNeal pea-soup vomit Fellowship of the Ring green-pushed to me. Meanwhile, the Disney+ stream looks nothing like that (again, on my laptop...damn you, Paul).
Old 12-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #413
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

Quote:
The "pink" DVD is the exact same transfer. The LD is just as pink on current displays.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:58 PM   #414
Banned

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTHX View Post
The "pink" DVD is the exact same transfer. The LD is just as pink on current displays.
Wrong. Pink started with Kururayís pressing in 1996, laserdisc 0896885. It was the latest transfer at the time. Iím not a fan of this version and itís the version which was used for DVD.

The SE boxset 1988-85 (released in 1993 and the first laserdisc to have THX) is marvelous. Not only a seriously clearer image, but it has the original theatrical color timing, which is gorgeous. No pink. No teal. One of my favorite laserdiscs.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:44 AM   #415

Jun 2010

Is it time to start a proper thread?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...combo/M2231769

I’m curious if that price is in Canadian dollars or US.
Thanks given by:
Radioactive (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 06:59 AM   #416
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2013
Phoenix, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fang Zei View Post
Is it time to start a proper thread?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product...combo/M2231769

Iím curious if that price is in Canadian dollars or US.
It's on Best Buy Canada, so I would have to assume it's Canadian dollars.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:57 PM   #417
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Dry County

I would say that if Canada is selling it, it's pretty official at this point.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists