Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$89.99
13 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$39.99
13 hrs ago
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49
4 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray)
$9.99
23 hrs ago
Inner Sanctum Mysteries (Blu-ray)
$46.49

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$31.46

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Knives Out (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 10-27-2019, 04:56 AM   #1
Special Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca
Default Do mods ever delete signatures without telling users?

Yesterday I edited my signature in the CP, and today my entire signature is deleted. I see no messages or notifications about it being deleted, and I know when I edited it yesterday it showed up just fine. Is there maybe an automatic detection "something or other" that would delete a users signature on its own? Would a mod delete it and not tell you for some reason?

I'd just like to know what's up before I create my sig again. It only had four links - to my movie collection on DvdAF, to my digital code sale thread here on br.com, to my physical disc sale thread here on br.com, and to my movie review account on Letterbxd.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2019, 05:01 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

Yes, it does sometimes happen that a post or signature will be deleted without notice. The mods are volunteers, and so there may not be enough time to inform everyone if it's a case of them removing something that is against the rules.

That said, I can't tell from your description of your signature what might have prompted a deletion. Possibly the outside links.
Thanks given by:
IdeaOfEvil (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 05:07 AM   #3
Special Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca

Thanks for the reply. I'll refrain from updating my sig again for a day or so, but I'll post exactly what it looked like in this thread. Someone please tell me what's wrong with it if there is indeed something wrong with it. The top three links have never been tampered with for a good number of years now, and I can only assume it's the new Letterbxd link I added in last night that's the problem. But then why can't someone just delete that one link instead of the entire thing, if it was indeed a mod who did it? Kinda irresponsible on their part, imo

Dvd/BD Collection
DC/UV Codes for Sale
4k/Bluray/Dvd discs for sale
Movie Reviews
Old 10-27-2019, 05:23 AM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

I've seen letterboxd links before and I haven't seen those get deleted (one guy I now posts one of those frequently). If I had to guess, it would be your DVD/BD Collection site/link.
Thanks given by:
IdeaOfEvil (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 05:25 AM   #5
Special Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedknee View Post
I've seen letterboxd links before and I haven't seen those get deleted (one guy I now posts one of those frequently). If I had to guess, it would be your DVD/BD Collection site/link.
Hmm, that's weird. I've had that link in my sig for years with no problems. There's even threads about DvdAf on this forum, so it's not like it's an unknown website =/

I guess if there's no answer given about my links, I'll just keep tossing it up until someone finally tells me why I can't use them here.

Thanks for your replies =)
Old 10-27-2019, 05:29 AM   #6
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

Yeah, I mean, I'm also not sure that's it either. But yes, if anyone might have a guess, weigh in here.

I did just double-check the person posting with letterboxd links, and those are still there, so those must be fine.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:27 AM   #7
Contributor

Jun 2012
USA 🦅
-
-
-
-
-

Could be related to this:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...93&postcount=5
Thanks given by:
IdeaOfEvil (10-27-2019)
Old 10-27-2019, 07:47 AM   #8
Special Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil View Post
Interesting. I guess I'll try editing my sig tonight just to see if it gets deleted again by tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the info =)
Old 10-27-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
Special Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca

Sure enough, I updated my sig and it was deleted again - sometime between midnight pst and now.

Hmmm, what can be done? Maybe if I rename the 4th link to Letterboxd the algorithm won't think it's spam?
Old 10-27-2019, 10:00 PM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

May 2011
Parts Unknown - because I blabbed about Mars!
-
-

I wonder if it's because your sig used to say "Movie Reviews" for the Letterboxd link, and there's a rule here that you can't plug your own reviews/site (which I don't really understand the reason for - as it's not like anyone's small review blog is a threat to Blu-ray.com - but it is what it is).

Last edited by DaBargainHunta; 10-27-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:20 PM   #11
Special Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBargainHunta View Post
I wonder if it's because your sig used to say "Movie Reviews" for the Letterboxd link, and there's a rule here that you can't plug your own reviews/site (which I don't really understand the reason for - as it's not like anyone's small review blog is a threat to Blu-ray.com - but it is what it is).
That's what I came to think early this morning, so by changing it to the name of the website it looks like I'm all good now. Unless the algorithm looks for spam only once a day and it hasn't tried looking at my updated sig yet =)
Old 10-28-2019, 01:03 AM   #12
Power Member

Apr 2011

For whatever reason I don't think Letterboxd is allowed on these forums. I remember it being discussed but that was a long time ago so perhaps the mods changed their stance on it.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:17 AM   #13
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

You can’t promote your own reviews on other sites, the algorithm might have caught it but I think the only thing you need to delete is that final one.
Thanks given by:
crackedknee (10-28-2019), IdeaOfEvil (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 01:22 AM   #14
Special Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
You canít promote your own reviews on other sites, the algorithm might have caught it but I think the only thing you need to delete is that final one.
That's weird. There's a Letterboxd thread that's existed for a whole year in the General boards (that I just bumped with my own link) and it doesn't look like anyone's received any flak for promoting their links there...

As a mod, do you have a problem with it? I certainly don't want to ignore you if you do =)
Old 10-28-2019, 11:41 AM   #15
Special Member

Nov 2010
Berkeley, Ca

Yep, looks like the algorithm checks for spam late at night pst time. My sig was fine all the way up until now =(

I guess Letterboxd can't be linked whether a mod allows it or not...
Thanks given by:
crackedknee (10-28-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion