Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95
18 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Superman: The Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Good Place: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$50.31

Unforgiven 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.99

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Orphen: Complete Collection SD (Blu-ray)
$10.99

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Avatar - The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$79.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 10:46 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-R View Post
Well if blu-rays weren't so high priced, look how the cd industry has been ripping off people forever. only costs them a dollar to produce the product if that, but charge premium, as for walmart I've seen tons of articles how they treat there employees with lack of pay or benefits. If your going to remove the coupons then you have to remove everything else, no exceptions.
You're thinking about what it costs to manufacture the physical item in your hand. You're not taking into account that it cost millions of dollars to make the movie, more to create an excellent blu ray transfer, more to create extras, and more to market the movie.

You aren't buying a piece of plastic whether it's a CD or a Blu Ray.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #42

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DachnoPiitu View Post
This is such a shame.

Employees and managers can choose to police their own stores for 'legitimate' coupons. I don't appreciate how this site has decided to police its forums because of incompetent businesses. If anything this site should be looking out for the interests of its members.

Please rename thread to "Worst Thread Ever"...
Yes, because heaven forbid you show a little self discipline and not duplicate and use a clearly marked "do not duplicate" coupon. Or maybe you liked the idea of the Photoshop altered ones or the using the self checkouts to not be called out on it. At some point you have to draw a line under your own behavior too.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:48 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Austin, TX

Hm... should we remove the posts which show the scans for next week's BB/Target/CC ads as well? With the BOGO coming up in Target, basically people are ripping off the store by buying them today and then returning/repurchasing on sunday.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #44
Special Member

Jan 2008
Huntington Beach, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDog View Post
Don't know that I'd call this a scam if you do it one time. I've only ever done it one time.

Again not a scam if you're a retailer. I work for Tiger Direct and took the training, perfectly valid. Making it up, not so much.

Seems pretty scammy to me.

I've never seen one of these, but if Best Buy hands you one, more power to you.
You really aren't that naive are you? Have you read these threads or do you think that everyone that said they got the free blu-ray really worked at a retailer? Not everyone is a boyscout.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #45

Jan 2008

What I find funny is that when I went to best buy yesterday with the REAL coupons for NCFOM and DIRL he took them, scanned them, and ripped them up and threw them away! This all happened while the manager was standing right there! So I really dont think big stores like best buy really care if they get the money back for these coupons!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 10:51 PM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2007

Quote:
BTW
There seems to be too much discussion about why there shouldn't be a ban on this activity. The forum is independently owned and operated and they have the right to conduct it as they wish. This alone should be enough. Further, the forum and it's owners could be held liable for allowing illegal activity to be associated with their website. I'm quite suprised the hammer didn't come down on this earlier.

If we really want to support Blu-Ray as a viable HD format, we need to NOT try to scam cheat and steal to get our Blu-Rays. If regular pricing or regular sale pricing, or valid offers aren't enough to interest you in buying a movie, you probably don't care enough about the movie. Rent it.

$29.99 is a VERY fair price for a Blu Ray, and frequently we get them for much less.

Where is the scam exactly in using the $10 off coupon?

Think of it this way.... Disney put them in ALL of their DVD versions of the movies. How many of those DVD versions do you think places like Netflix, Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, and all the other video rental stores have bought and NOT used the coupons from?

Then compare that to what? the maybe a couple of thousand(MAX) people who are going to be on these forums and others of the same nature that will print it out and go and BUY the BD BECAUSE of that coupon.

Im sorry but this rule is a joke. As said before its privately owned website so i dont have a choice but to like it or get out. That doesnt validate the lack of reasoning here whatsoever though.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #47
Banned

Jan 2008
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Near Shamu View Post
The truth is most retailers get compensated electronically as soon as they scan the coupon. BB never keeps them, they throw them away. Do you really think WM is going to mail 10,000 coupons to Disney? This is the age of electronic data delivery. They can simply provide a report to whomever studio is promoting the coupon stating that they took so many discounts for that particular movie. That is why retailers throw away the papers.

Also, this isn't the first time these "coupons" have been posted here. Anyone remembers the POTC coupons? That was back in the beginning of December, so almost 16 weeks later they still promote them. Why? Because it makes people like me, who was only going to rent the movie, go out and buy it instead.
That is the absolute truth. I had no interest in No Country of old men OR dan in real life. Spent $30 instead of $6 buying instead of renting. Do you think they mind the differance? Im sure they make even MORE profits then they would without the coupn

Old 03-13-2008, 10:53 PM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Austin, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle152641 View Post
What I find funny is that when I went to best buy yesterday with the REAL coupons for NCFOM and DIRL he took them, scanned them, and ripped them up and threw them away! This all happened while the manager was standing right there! So I really dont think big stores like best buy really care if they get the money back for these coupons!!!
This happened to me once too. They don't care for paper, its electronic data transmission now a days what matters. If the register scans it, its valid and they submit the request later. So lets say that WM reports 10,000 coupons accepted and send that report to Disney. How will Disney know that these aren't valid coupons? After all, if every dvd movie sold had the offer, and they sell millions of these on release week, how do they know what's real and what's not? Or do they actually have a dept reviewing EVERY paper coupon submitted by mail to them?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:55 PM   #49
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2007
USA

Quote:
Hm... should we remove the posts which show the scans for next week's BB/Target/CC ads as well? With the BOGO coming up in Target, basically people are ripping off the store by buying them today and then returning/repurchasing on sunday.
This doesnt defraud the retailer, as the store mentioned have 30 day price guarantees

Old 03-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #50

Jul 2007
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirkmanly View Post
Yes, because heaven forbid you show a little self discipline and not duplicate and use a clearly marked "do not duplicate" coupon. Or maybe you liked the idea of the Photoshop altered ones or the using the self checkouts to not be called out on it. At some point you have to draw a line under your own behavior too.
I never duplicated a coupon. I don't think I used a Photoshop altered coupon either. I am not a crook!

My point is this site has decided to police its forums and I think that sucks. They have every right to do it. I still think it sucks. Let the stores do their jobs.

Quote:
BTW
There seems to be too much discussion about why there shouldn't be a ban on this activity. The forum is independently owned and operated and they have the right to conduct it as they wish. This alone should be enough.
You're right; this is enough. They have the right. I just think it sucks. And if you don't mind terribly, I'd just like to point that out -> my opinion: this sucks.

Quote:
$29.99 is a VERY fair price for a Blu Ray
It is a fair price but I am happier when it is less.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:09 PM   #51

Feb 2008
Monterrey, México

Quote:
This happened to me once too. They don't care for paper, its electronic data transmission now a days what matters. If the register scans it, its valid and they submit the request later. So lets say that WM reports 10,000 coupons accepted and send that report to Disney. How will Disney know that these aren't valid coupons? After all, if every dvd movie sold had the offer, and they sell millions of these on release week, how do they know what's real and what's not? Or do they actually have a dept reviewing EVERY paper coupon submitted by mail to them?
when I use the $5 off on Disney at BB I get The Rock and Terminator on same recipt they apply both with the 5 off manually and then take paper to the trash can

I support the new rule

Last edited by Buffalo MX; 03-13-2008 at 11:15 PM.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Jeez, a scanned $10 coupon is logically the same sort of crime a scanned $10 note is. It is counterfieting. You might not have the secrtet service busting your door down but the intent is the same.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #53
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2007

+ lets say over a 1 yr period they(any store that cared) found that blu-ray.com was the source of phony, altered or scaned manuf. coupons they could get in trouble..

if anyone could clear this up do these coupons were not allowed to post include like the 10% off bestbuy ones or the exclusive member offers I use those alot

Old 03-13-2008, 11:16 PM   #54
Expert Member

Aug 2007

Will not be sorry to see all of the chiseling threads deep-sixed.

It was a terrible face for us to be showing to the rest of the 'net, and certainly not good business practice for those running the site. Good riddance.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:17 PM   #55
Special Member

Jan 2008
Huntington Beach, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersix4 View Post
+ lets say over a 1 yr period they(any store that cared) found that blu-ray.com was the source of phony, altered or scaned manuf. coupons they could get in trouble..

if anyone could clear this up do these coupons were not allowed to post include like the 10% off bestbuy ones or the exclusive member offers I use those alot
Technically, scanning the coupon is not illegal. Blu-ray.com is not hosting the scanned image. This is news and discussion. The person that downloads and prints the coupon is the one breaking the law.

Found another thing that should be banned is all the talk about Disneyreward codes. People grabbing them from blockbuster or having multiple codes of the same movie. Come on now, who here really believes that someone bought 8 copies of the same sd-dvd of Chicken Little.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:19 PM   #56

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
Jeez, a scanned $10 coupon is logically the same sort of crime a scanned $10 note is. It is counterfieting. You might not have the secrtet service busting your door down but the intent is the same.
this is ridiculously un-true. im not creating money, i'm only utilizing a promotion, that the company set about. People have been doing this for years, if it was an issue they would have stopped it.

Speaking of best buy specifically, is it wrong for me to use the same 10% or $20 off of 3 blu rays multiple times? obviously best buy doesn't care, cause it's linked to your reward zone, so they KNOW. they would stop it if they cared.

Obviously its Wicky's decision, I can attest to that. But I don't feel this is legal, just as I still don't feel having a digital copy of something i purchased (no matter the price) should be considered illegal. 2¢

That said, I don't think it is for public forums. let them be traded through pm or such if need be

Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #57

Jan 2008

also, i don't understand why people really care if they can't be posted here...it's not like it's very difficult to find it on another website somewhere else. just deal with it, enforcement of old rules

Old 03-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #58
Special Member

Jan 2008
Huntington Beach, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey View Post
also, i don't understand why people really care if they can't be posted here...it's not like it's very difficult to find it on another website somewhere else. just deal with it, enforcement of old rules
Honestly I don't really care either and its a private website that allows me to be here. However what bothered me was all the holier than thou reponses coming from everyone saying "its about time". Thats great but when you get to the crux of the reasoning for banning the posting of scanned coupons many of the things I mentioned in reality is no different.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:26 PM   #59
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2007
Florida

Quote:
The truth is most retailers get compensated electronically as soon as they scan the coupon. BB never keeps them, they throw them away. Do you really think WM is going to mail 10,000 coupons to Disney? This is the age of electronic data delivery. They can simply provide a report to whomever studio is promoting the coupon stating that they took so many discounts for that particular movie. That is why retailers throw away the papers.

Also, this isn't the first time these "coupons" have been posted here. Anyone remembers the POTC coupons? That was back in the beginning of December, so almost 16 weeks later they still promote them. Why? Because it makes people like me, who was only going to rent the movie, go out and buy it instead.

AMEN!!!!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:29 PM   #60
Super Moderator

Nov 2007

The bad thing is Grubert was promoting these very coupons on AVS...

And he is a mod here?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13350040

Last edited by JasonR; 03-13-2008 at 11:32 PM.

Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals