Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Death Note: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$14.96
1 hr ago
Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
18 hrs ago
Angel Has Fallen 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96
7 hrs ago
Ponyo (Blu-ray)
$21.49

Angel Has Fallen (Blu-ray)
$12.96
5 hrs ago
Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Tom & Jerry: Golden Collection, Volume One (Blu-ray)
$21.49

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.96
6 hrs ago
Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Uncut Gems (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49

1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Old 10-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC
Send a message via AIM to richteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarredoa View Post
If I understood the original post correctly, a basic turntable like Audio Techinca ATLP60, attenuates highs and boosts lows in order to be able to pre-out to receivers without phono inputs?

If so, does a phono pre-amp flatten the response to replicate the original recording?
It's not the turntable that does the EQ; that is done when the record is mastered. But yes, one of the jobs of a phono stage is to reverse the applied EQ so that the net result is flat. (The other job is to boost the cartridge's tiny output.)
Old 10-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #42

Apr 2007
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by richteer View Post
It's not the turntable that does the EQ; that is done when the record is mastered. But yes, one of the jobs of a phono stage is to reverse the applied EQ so that the net result is flat. (The other job is to boost the cartridge's tiny output.)
Excellent! Next on my list is a new phono preamp I realize that phono preamps have a wide range of prices and quality. Can I get a decent one for under $200?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:42 PM   #43

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Excellent! Next on my list is a new phono preamp I realize that phono preamps have a wide range of prices and quality. Can I get a decent one for under $200?
Yes you can...here.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:27 AM   #44

Apr 2007
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
Yes you can...here.
What am I looking for exactly?... Both bellaris on the link, either vp-29 or vp-30, have -/+ 1.5 db for the RIAA for a range of 20hz-20khz. The vp-130 has a tube output stage

Another brand, Rega Fono, has -/+ 0.5 db 40hz-100khz.

Which of these equalizations will give me a flatter signal going to my receiver?

Will a good preamp give me a night/day improvement with my entry-level turntable?

Last edited by rarredoa; 10-14-2011 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Commonwealth of Virgin

I think I understand that but if I have a problem with the needle stuck in the groove I would have to fix the anti-skate tonearm thing? What about popping and crackling on records? is the best way to fixed warped vinyl putting it under heavy books?

All the vinyls seem ok except for one or two that seem perfect yet I have problems playing. Scratches would also affect playing and they can easily been seen right? So is it possible to fix any discs or is it disks that have scratches on them?

thanks.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #46

Jul 2007

Quote:
What am I looking for exactly?... Both bellaris on the link, either vp-29 or vp-30, have -/+ 1.5 db for the RIAA for a range of 20hz-20khz. The vp-130 has a tube output stage

Another brand, Rega Fono, has -/+ 0.5 db 40hz-100khz.

Which of these equalizations will give me a flatter signal going to my receiver?

Will a good preamp give me a night/day improvement with my entry-level turntable?
I wouldn't be overly concerned about the numbers shown by various manufacturers, as most of them are quite indistinguishable and a lot of it depends on the other components in your system. The key is to try and audition them, but if you can't....go with a reputable supplier that offers a money-back guarentee.

A good preamp should offer you a good deal of improvement...night and day? That's hard to say.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtempo View Post
I think I understand that but if I have a problem with the needle stuck in the groove I would have to fix the anti-skate tonearm thing? What about popping and crackling on records? is the best way to fixed warped vinyl putting it under heavy books?
To reduce to crackling, follow these tips:

1. NEVER (and I mean, never) touch the playing surface (not even the lead-in grove). Hold your records only by the label and the edge.

2. Invest in some anti-static sleeves. I like the MOFI ones best, but there are other good alternatives.

3. Invest in a record cleaning machine. The Spin Clean Record Washer II is remarkably effective, and very reasonably priced.

Some records (especially used ones, where the previous owners didn't look after them) will remain noisy no matter how much you clean 'em. Those are, sadly, lost causes...

The only way to flatten a severely warped record is to warm it up a bit while pressing it flat under heavy books. Just the books alone won't do the job.

Quote:
All the vinyls seem ok except for one or two that seem perfect yet I have problems playing. Scratches would also affect playing and they can easily been seen right? So is it possible to fix any discs or is it disks that have scratches on them?
You can't fix the scratches, but if they're surface abrasions only, you won't hear them, assuming you have a small enough stylus.

HTH!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #48
Special Member

May 2010
In the Light

So, how likely is it that laser based turntables will become lower priced and more accessible to the average person?
I would have thought Sony or some other behemoth company would have licensed the tech and found a way to sell it for a fraction of the current $6,000 to $8,000 being asked by those other companies.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:53 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Kelowna, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youre My Boy Blu! View Post
So, how likely is it that laser based turntables will become lower priced and more accessible to the average person?
I would have thought Sony or some other behemoth company would have licensed the tech and found a way to sell it for a fraction of the current $6,000 to $8,000 being asked by those other companies.
Given how old the technology is now, I doubt the price will come down much. I'm not completely sold on the idea of a laser turntable either: give me a decent stylus and arm any day!
Old 04-07-2016, 08:49 PM   #50
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2010
Michigan

Just bought my first real turntable last week. Haven't played an LP in over 25 years.

After setting it all up (Music Hall mmf 2.2) I still don't understand the purpose of the little dangling weight that hangs off the back by a fishing line. What is that weight supposed to do?
Old 04-08-2016, 02:48 AM   #51
Power Member

Oct 2009
Tampa, FL

Read up on anti-skate.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:08 PM   #52

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
Just bought my first real turntable last week. Haven't played an LP in over 25 years.

After setting it all up (Music Hall mmf 2.2) I still don't understand the purpose of the little dangling weight that hangs off the back by a fishing line. What is that weight supposed to do?
Here's an article that provides an easy to understand explanation.

http://musehelix.com/anti-skate-explained/
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music