Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan Mexico
Alastair Sim's School for Laughter: 4 Classic Comedies (Blu-ray)
$46.49
23 hrs ago
3-D Rarities Volume II (Blu-ray)
$34.99
10 hrs ago
Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Little Women (Blu-ray)
$19.95

Galaxy Quest (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Richard Jewell (Blu-ray)
$19.96
16 hrs ago
Arrow: A Journey's End (Blu-ray)
$5.99
3 hrs ago
Solid Metal Nightmares: The Films of Shinya Tsukamoto (Blu-ray)
$72.99

The Great Escape (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
18 hrs ago
1917 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Three Fantastic Journeys by Karel Zeman (Blu-ray)
$71.14
1 hr ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music

Old 06-16-2009, 10:00 PM   #21
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Limbo (Bakersfield, Ca.)

although nowhere near in the same category as some of the tables posted here, my rega p1 just got here and im excited! a small stack of lp's arrived too. gonna have to wait till the kids get up before i start playing.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:58 PM   #22

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Congrats! What LP's arrived? Tell us, please before you start listening to them, otherwise we might not hear from you for a while!

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn94538 View Post
although nowhere near in the same category as some of the tables posted here, my rega p1 just got here and im excited! a small stack of lp's arrived too. gonna have to wait till the kids get up before i start playing.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:42 AM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Limbo (Bakersfield, Ca.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John72953 View Post
Congrats! What LP's arrived? Tell us, please before you start listening to them, otherwise we might not hear from you for a while!

John
what arrived today were
tom petty hard promises and long after dark
jimi hendrix experience hendrix
social distortion self titled
the who whos next 180g
jimi hendrix are you exp. 180g
green day american idiot 180g

already had:
pearl jam ten 160g
nirvana nevermind 180g
smashing pumpkins gish
tom petty wildflowers
pink floyd darkside of the moon 30th ann. 180g
black sabbath paranoid 180g
bob marley legend 180g
black sabbath we sold our soul.... 180g
and a few used metallica, floyd, hendrix, and rolling stones

getting back into this after my collection was destroyed in a house fire about 8 yrs ago. collection was about 20 yrs old. took me this long to get over it. hope the wife doesnt notice the new table
Old 06-17-2009, 01:53 AM   #24

Jul 2007

Quote:
what arrived today were
tom petty hard promises and long after dark
jimi hendrix experience hendrix
social distortion self titled
the who whos next 180g
jimi hendrix are you exp. 180g
green day american idiot 180g

already had:
pearl jam ten 160g
nirvana nevermind 180g
smashing pumpkins gish
tom petty wildflowers
pink floyd darkside of the moon 30th ann. 180g
black sabbath paranoid 180g
bob marley legend 180g
black sabbath we sold our soul.... 180g
and a few used metallica, floyd, hendrix, and rolling stones

getting back into this after my collection was destroyed in a house fire about 8 yrs ago. collection was about 20 yrs old. took me this long to get over it. hope the wife doesnt notice the new table
I've had my collection spread out between my parent's place and a good friend's basement. Well, when I went to pick up at my friend's place after a few years (long story) I discovered that about 500 were water damaged. Basically had to throw most of those out, so I kinda know what you mean. I currently have about 1,000 or so here and then another 1,800-2,000 at my parent's place.

John
Old 06-17-2009, 02:42 AM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Limbo (Bakersfield, Ca.)
Default ok question:

wondering what people thought about this statement for the rega p1 manul/set up guide:

Quote:
Don't use any record cleaner that works while the record is
playing or any cleaners that use water or solvents. If you
keep your records stored in their sleeves, avoid touching the
playing surfaces, play with the lid down and keep all water
and fluids away, cleaning should not be necessary. Don't
worry about visible dust on the record surface, this is
brushed aside by the stylus and any that collects on the stylus
can be easily blown away. In general, record cleaning is
overdone and one should not believe all the claims made by
record cleaner manufacturers
Old 06-17-2009, 03:06 AM   #26

Jul 2007

Quote:
wondering what people thought about this statement for the rega p1 manul/set up guide:
That is a very interesting statement indeed, but nothing that a good record-cleaning brush and/or stylus treatment liquid couldn't properly deal with.

Here is my take on the matter:

When you obtain a record, whether that be used and maybe more importantly new, a good liquid cleaning is essential. If you don't have a dedicated record cleaning device try to find a dealer/service that can do it for you. Many used record shops can provide you with this service. In my opinion this should only be needed once, provided you keep your records safe from harm (proper sleeving with anti-static inserts) and incorporating a faithful brushing of the LP and stylus. From time to time you will want to use a stylus liquid as well..I don't personally think it's needed every time as a dry brushing will suffice. However, my TT's haven't been of the sensitivity and quality that some here are fortunate enough to own.

Bottom line....and unlike popular belief...LP's are actually quite durable...their major enemy is static!

John
Old 06-17-2009, 03:10 AM   #27
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007
Limbo (Bakersfield, Ca.)

Quote:
That is a very interesting statement indeed, but nothing that a good record-cleaning brush and/or stylus treatment liquid couldn't properly deal with.

Here is my take on the matter:

When you obtain a record, whether that be used and maybe more importantly new, a good liquid cleaning is essential. If you don't have a dedicated record cleaning device try to find a dealer/service that can do it for you. Many used record shops can provide you with this service. In my opinion this should only be needed once, provided you keep your records safe from harm (proper sleeving with anti-static inserts) and incorporating a faithful brushing of the LP and stylus. From time to time you will want to use a stylus liquid as well..I don't personally think it's needed every time as a dry brushing will suffice. However, my TT's haven't been of the sensitivity and quality that some here are fortunate enough to own.

Bottom line....and unlike popular belief...LP's are actually quite durable...their major enemy is static!

John
thanks!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:19 AM   #28

Jul 2007

you're most welcome!

John
Old 06-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #29
Expert Member

Dec 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by btf1980 View Post
Got a new custom made isolation platform for my tt.
I know I don't belong here since all I have for a turntable is a "scratch and listen" variety. However I noticed that you have an A/C vent behind that incredible looking system, is it an active vent? I would think it would impact the TT whenever the air handler turns on, and even though the direct cooling factor would be good for the amps, if the A/C cycles it will produce dramatic hot and cold fluctuations on your equipment which can lead to problems in some environments. A less direct cooling of your equipment might be better for it in the long run, IMO. Of course you may have that vent shut off completely and all is well. Beautiful system, and interesting and impressive design for the equipment stand.

Last edited by zicmubleu; 06-17-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #30
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Quote:
record cleaner manufacturers.

I think that that information is most definitely incorrect and bunk. In order to really hear what was pressed to the vinyl, the record needs a good thorough cleaning. It is only in the last several years that the really effective record cleaners have become available. The difference is and can be night and day.

Rich
Old 06-17-2009, 07:38 PM   #31

Mar 2008
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturephoto1 View Post
Quote:
record cleaner manufacturers.

I think that that information is most definitely incorrect and bunk. In order to really hear what was pressed to the vinyl, the record needs a good thorough cleaning. It is only in the last several years that the really effective record cleaners have become available. The difference is and can be night and day.

Rich
I saw from your HT Gallary that you use the VPI 16.5 machine. I am going to pick one up in the next few months. What cleaing fluid do use?

Last edited by joe1515; 06-17-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #32
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1515 View Post
I saw from your HT Gallary that you use the VPI 16.5 machine. I am going to pick one up in the next few months. What cleaing fluid do use?
I really have to start to use it. I have had it for some months now but was buying cleaned records. I will be using the Walker Prelude system (which is expensive) along with probably a steam cleaning method that I need to read through more carefully on Audiogon.

With the VPI 16.5 you can get extra tubes and holders as from Tom Port at Better Records and use multiple tubes and holders for different cleaning steps. You may also consider using Disc Doctor instead. It is not as good, but has fewer steps and is less expensive.

Better Records sells kits including the VPI 16.5 along with Record cleaning fluid kits:

http://www.dccblowout.com/dept.asp?dept_id=15-013

Rich
Old 06-18-2009, 01:13 AM   #33

Mar 2008
New York

Quote:
I really have to start to use it. I have had it for some months now but was buying cleaned records. I will be using the Walker Prelude system (which is expensive) along with probably a steam cleaning method that I need to read through more carefully on Audiogon.

With the VPI 16.5 you can get extra tubes and holders as from Tom Port at Better Records and use multiple tubes and holders for different cleaning steps. You may also consider using Disc Doctor instead. It is not as good, but has fewer steps and is less expensive.

Better Records sells kits including the VPI 16.5 along with Record cleaning fluid kits:

Rich
What are your thoughts on Mobile Fidelity's record cleaning fluids and brushes?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 06-18-2009, 01:31 AM   #34
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1515 View Post
What are your thoughts on Mobile Fidelity's record cleaning fluids and brushes?

Thanks,

Joe
Joe,

I think that they are quite good. You may wish to do a search on Audiogon under discussions to find out about the Mobile Fidelity products. The 2 that I have mentioned are also discussed on Audiogon.

Rich
Old 06-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #35
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
NOLA

Quote:

Rich
Rich, Have you seen Art Dudley's review of the Keith Monks Omni record cleaning machine? Very highly recommended if you have the budget for it. It's in the May issue of Stereophile. Not sure if the review is up on their website yet, you may need a hard copy of it.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #36

Jul 2007

I had a NittyGritty 1.5 for many years and there is no doubt these machines are an invaluable componant for any vinyl lover, but they aren't cheap for most of us. Alternatives are available and one of the best I've heard of is the GEM Dandy (6moons review). Dobyblue (Steve) has been using this for awhile now and from what I know he is really pleased with it. I have been wanting to pull the trigger on this, but haven't yet.

John
Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2008
Breinigsville, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRayFred View Post
Rich, Have you seen Art Dudley's review of the Keith Monks Omni record cleaning machine? Very highly recommended if you have the budget for it. It's in the May issue of Stereophile. Not sure if the review is up on their website yet, you may need a hard copy of it.
The Keith Monks machines are really quite nice, but expensive. It may be a bit more work, but using the steam cleaning methods, the VPI 16.5 RCM, and the Walker Prelude system, I suspect that I will be able to get the records as clean as the Keith Monks or just about any other available machine.

Rich
Old 07-25-2009, 05:13 PM   #38
Special Member

Jan 2007
NYC

Too some more pics.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:14 PM   #39

Jul 2007

Beautiful shots btf! Now that the new TT has seen some hours, how are you liking it?

John
Old 07-25-2009, 07:26 PM   #40
Special Member

Jan 2007
NYC

Quote:
Beautiful shots btf! Now that the new TT has seen some hours, how are you liking it?

John
John, it's just so wonderful. I think because I didn't skimp on the phono stage, everything has such a natural flow. The dynamic range is just incredible. I have a CD version of A Night in Tunisia by Art Blakey as well as the 45 RPM vinyl version. Let's just say that the CD is going in the trash. It beats the pants of it. Even my non audiophile friends can hear the difference.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Vinyl and Old School Music