Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
21 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27
18 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
21 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant (Blu-ray)
$71.69
1 hr ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64
21 hrs ago
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19

Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.89

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
21 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 01-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007
Default Set speakers to 'Small' or 'Large' ?

For additional information on Small versus Large, check the following threads:

https://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers...nt-part-i.html
https://forum.blu-ray.com/subwoofers...t-part-ii.html

I just got a new receiver & it's been a looooong time since I messed with setting up a reciever.

Back in the day everyone recommended setting all your speakers to 'Small' no matter what size they are and letting the sub handle the low end. Is this still the recommeded method?

I ran the auto cal. on the receiver and it wants to set all the speakers to 'Large'.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 12-03-2010 at 04:07 AM.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:20 PM   #2

Nov 2007
Alberta

.....if any of the speakers, let's say the front L R mains can handle any bass output on their own, they should be set to large....ie maybe they are floorstanding towers w/ a decent bass driver. Or maybe you have 5 small monitors and a sub & the monitors don't have much for low end freq response in which case they all should be set to small & all bass & lfe sent to sub. Information on your speakers would help people to help you.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2007

Thanks.

All Boston Acoustics

Front L & R: T830s, 3-way floor standers w/8" bass drivers
Surround L & R: 361s I think, in-ceiling w/6" bass drivers
Sub: PV600, 120W 10" down-firing
Center: no center speaker
Old 01-11-2008, 06:46 PM   #4

Nov 2007
Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Blue View Post
Thanks.

All Boston Acoustics

Front L & R: T830s, 3-way floor standers w/8" bass drivers
Surround L & R: 361s I think, in-ceiling w/6" bass drivers
Sub: PV600, 120W 10" down-firing
Center: no center speaker
L & R to large, surrounds to small as a starting point.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

THX Certification recommends 80Hz and "Small" for all speakers.

I have floorstanding towers for my rears and fronts - I only set my speakers to Large when I'm listening to audio.

When I'm watching a movie I set to Small and 80Hz.
Thanks given by:
Visionist (08-05-2014)
Old 01-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #6

Nov 2007

id go with small on all accounts, and just lower your crossover settings to match or be slightly above the lowest level your speaker could hit.

if they can reach 40hz, set your crossover to 40 (if possible) and keep your speakers to small.

then again, this is all a matter of preference.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
Sound Insider/M.P.S.E.

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
THX Certification recommends 80Hz and "Small" for all speakers.

I have floorstanding towers for my rears and fronts - I only set my speakers to Large when I'm listening to audio.

When I'm watching a movie I set to Small and 80Hz.
Doby,
THX recommends that 80hz crossover point because it is the low frequency limit of most THX certified main speakers. It really depends on the low frequency limit of your main speakers. My rule of thumb is if your mains can handle 40hz, and play it back at least 105db, then set it to large. There are some floorstanders that can handle this, but not many. I automatically recommend that all surrounds be set to small, because most will never be able to reach 40hz at any volume, and it is never good to have bass coming from four different direction in small rooms.

My front left, center and right are all set to large, and my rears to small. Setting all my speaker to small made my system sound way too bright and high end heavy.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:36 PM   #8

Nov 2007

^^^What he said. It depends on the frequency response of your speakers. If you could watch movies w/out a sub and still have plenty of bass, then I would say set your setting to large. If your front speakers have audible output to, say 40Hz, then set them to large. You'll still get LFE content from the sub, it's just that the front channel sound won't be augmented by the sub. Most center and surround speakers don't come close, though. So either way, I'd set them to small. BTW, get a center speaker soon. It makes all the difference in the world.

Last edited by Kratos3; 01-11-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:57 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Blue View Post
I just got a new receiver & it's been a looooong time since I messed with setting up a reciever.

Back in the day everyone recommended setting all your speakers to 'Small' no matter what size they are and letting the sub handle the low end. Is this still the recommeded method?

I ran the auto cal. on the receiver and it wants to set all the speakers to 'Large'.
There is a thread that I created. It is called "Calibrating You Audio With an SPL Meter". It has a section on subwoofers and the interaction beween subwoofers and the main speakers. It covers the issue of large and small speakers.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=38765
Old 02-29-2008, 02:24 AM   #10

Feb 2008

I have a Yamaha RX-V661 receiver with Paradigm Studio towers and center. How do I change between small and large setting? Thanks
Old 02-29-2008, 12:32 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-eyes View Post
I have a Yamaha RX-V661 receiver with Paradigm Studio towers and center. How do I change between small and large setting? Thanks
You have to go to the receiver's setup menu to do that. Press the Menu or Setup key on the remote and navigate to find the speaker setup option.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:00 AM   #12
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Bainbridge Island, WA

Yes, it is a low pass filter. Frequencies below the crossover are redirected from speakers designated as small to the subwoofer.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #13

Mar 2009
USA cross over for lt1 speakers

I have a Sony receiver which allows me to set the high pass crossover on my center , fronts and surrounds . My auto calibration set my fronts( Polk audio LT1 satellites) at 200 Hz my center(Polk audio) to 120hz, which seems high being that its a large high end size speaker which can handle down to 55Hz. And my surrounds at 140Hz, Polk audio satalites as well. My main question is that the manual for the fronts very simply asks to set my crossover at 120Hz. I'm a little lost on what to set the value at. The front Polk speakers say its crossover frequency response is 130Hs-20Khz. Can I have a little advice please?
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 AM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by santis1978 View Post
I have a Sony receiver which allows me to set the high pass crossover on my center , fronts and surrounds . My auto calibration set my fronts( Polk audio LT1 satellites) at 200 Hz my center(Polk audio) to 120hz, which seems high being that its a large high end size speaker which can handle down to 55Hz. And my surrounds at 140Hz, Polk audio satalites as well. My main question is that the manual for the fronts very simply asks to set my crossover at 120Hz. I'm a little lost on what to set the value at. The front Polk speakers say its crossover frequency response is 130Hs-20Khz. Can I have a little advice please?
  1. If you have one or two subwoofers in the room, all your other speakers become SMALL by default.

2. The performance of speakers is affected by the room, furniture, windows, etc., and their location in the room.

3. The auto calibration programs do not measure the frequency response of the speakers as measured by the manufacturers. They simply measure the performance of the speakers in the room.

4. If you move the speakers around (even by a foot or less), the results of the auto calibration program may be different.

5. It is generally a good idea to set the crossover frequencies of the speakers 10Hz to 20Hz above the minimum frequency response as reported by the manufactures.

6. Most home subwoofers cannot go beyond 120Hz. Some may go as high as 150Hz. When you set the crossover frequencies of the speakers very high, the bass from those speakers will be redirected to the subwoofer. If the subwoofer has an upper limit of around 130Hz, you will have a problem and need to compromise.
I highly recommend that you read a A Guide to Bass Management (Part I).
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #15

Oct 2007

Gentlemen:

I'm looking for advise on the " best " crossover / speaker setup for the following equipment:

RECEIVER: YAMAHA HTR 6180 (aka 863VX)
FRONTS: AXIOM M50i floor standing + / - 3 dB is 39 Hz to 22KHz
CENTRE: PSB 200ci + / - 3 dB is 68 Hz to 21 KHz
REARS: AXIOM QS4 wall mounted + / - 3 dB is 100 Hz to 22 KHz
SUBWOOFER: POLK AUDIO + / - 34 Hz to 225 Hz (has LFE position to bypass internal crossover which would be the obvious setting for the SUBWOOFER and the SUBWOOFER volume is set at the half-way point before running the YPAO mic setup).

NOTE: cannot adjust crossover for individual speakers

I have run the YAMAHA mic setup numerous times, tried different settings by manually adjusting the speaker size and crossover frequency. The mic setup recommends the FRONTS as large, the CENTER and REARS as small and the crossover set as 160 Hz. That high a crossover frequency is a long way from the generally recommended crossover frequency of 80 Hz. The trouble with that configuration is the subwoofer has no bass when I switch the receiver to play stereo CD music. The subwoofer works much better when playing stereo CD's with the FRONTS set to small and the SUBWOOFER is selected as the designated bass handler. I also play multi-channel SACD with the receiver set as per the mic setup configuration and the FRONTS do offer some audible bass when set to large. The SUBWOOFER performs best when the FRONTS are set to small or the "BOTH " option is selected in the bass management screen in the setup menu.

So, I'd really appeciate any suggestions on the best configuration.

Regards:

blurayisking
Old 03-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #16

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayisking View Post
Gentlemen:

I'm looking for advise on the " best " crossover / speaker setup for the following equipment:

RECEIVER: YAMAHA HTR 6180 (aka 863VX)
FRONTS: AXIOM M50i floor standing + / - 3 dB is 39 Hz to 22KHz
CENTRE: PSB 200ci + / - 3 dB is 68 Hz to 21 KHz
REARS: AXIOM QS4 wall mounted + / - 3 dB is 100 Hz to 22 KHz
SUBWOOFER: POLK AUDIO + / - 34 Hz to 225 Hz (has LFE position to bypass internal crossover which would be the obvious setting for the SUBWOOFER and the SUBWOOFER volume is set at the half-way point before running the YPAO mic setup).

NOTE: cannot adjust crossover for individual speakers

I have run the YAMAHA mic setup numerous times, tried different settings by manually adjusting the speaker size and crossover frequency. The mic setup recommends the FRONTS as large, the CENTER and REARS as small and the crossover set as 160 Hz. That high a crossover frequency is a long way from the generally recommended crossover frequency of 80 Hz. The trouble with that configuration is the subwoofer has no bass when I switch the receiver to play stereo CD music. The subwoofer works much better when playing stereo CD's with the FRONTS set to small and the SUBWOOFER is selected as the designated bass handler. I also play multi-channel SACD with the receiver set as per the mic setup configuration and the FRONTS do offer some audible bass when set to large. The SUBWOOFER performs best when the FRONTS are set to small or the "BOTH " option is selected in the bass management screen in the setup menu.

So, I'd really appeciate any suggestions on the best configuration.

Regards:

blurayisking
I ran my YPAO yesterday and the only thing I kept was the speaker distance. It set the fronts and centre channel to LARGE for me as well. I changed those back to SMALL. After spending a lot of time on this thread, an hour of playing around, and one text from the people upstairs asking me to turn down my sub, I concluded that the consensus in this thread works best for me. Set all speakers to SMALL with your crossover set to 80 Hz.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:03 AM   #17
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEH View Post
I ran my YPAO yesterday and the only thing I kept was the speaker distance. It set the fronts and centre channel to LARGE for me as well. I changed those back to SMALL. After spending a lot of time on this thread, an hour of playing around, and one text from the people upstairs asking me to turn down my sub, I concluded that the consensus in this thread works best for me. Set all speakers to SMALL with your crossover set to 80 Hz.
The following is from AUDYSSEY thread. Although the thread was written for the Audyssey auto calibration program, the vast majority of its content is highly relevant to other auto calibration programs such as:

Anthem: ARC = Anthem Room Correction
Emotiva XMC-1: TACT = Tuned Aperture Computed Tomography
Pioneer: MCACC = Multi Channel Acoustic Calibration and Control
Sherwood: Room Acoustic Calibration with EQ
Sherwood Newcastle R-972: Trinnov Optimizer
Sony: DCAC = Digital Cinema Auto Calibration
Yamaha: YPAO = Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer
  1. Once you have finished the measurements for all the listening positions, Audyssey will do some calculations for a few minutes and will ask you to double check the settings. You can adjust them later after the calibration for all the speakers is finished. In general, several things may occur:
    • You may notice that your front speakers are set to LARGE (FULL BAND) or SMALL. Audyssey does not make this decision. Audyssey simply takes some measurements and reports them to the AVR. The AVR manufacturer has complete control over how the speakers should be set. Many of them use inappropriate or archaic rules to set the speakers to LARGE as long as the speakers show some response below 80Hz. You can adjust this later and set your speakers to SMALL. For further information, read the two Bass Management Guides mentioned at beginning of this post.
    • It is important that you understand that Audyssey measures the performance of the speakers in your room. The frequency response of your speakers in the room as measured by Audyssey may be significantly different than the frequency responses as measured by the manufacturer in an anechoic chamber. Donít be alarmed. All speakers react with the room boundaries, furniture, and with each other. They exhibit different frequency response in real rooms. Audyssey measures what your speakers are doing in your room and recommends a setting based on their placement. Its results are based on the placement of the speakers and the microphone.
    • You may notice that Audyssey has reported a much longer distance between your subwoofer and the listening position or a significantly shorter distance between the two. This problem arises because Audyssey MultEQ does not actually measure distance between the subwoofer and the listening area. It measures signal delay. This delay consist of:
      1. The time it takes for sound to travel in the air to the microphone.
      2. The electrical delay in the signal inside the subwoofer:
      • Any type of filter in the sub introduces delay.
      • Any type of DSP processing in the subwoofer introduces delay.
      • The interaction of the woofer and the port in in a subwoofer can also cause problems. This interaction can also cause polarity reversal warnings.
      Because of these delays, it is quite normal to see longer distances reported for the subwoofer. You should leave it as MultEQ found it.

When the reported distance is much shorter than the physical distance, then you should worry. Something else has caused that. The most likely cause is vibrations that travel to the microphone through a solid surface such as the floor or the sofa/seat. Sound travels faster in solids than it does in air and this can cause the short readings. The only alternative you have is to try is to make sure that the microphone is isolated from any vibrating surfaces. Avoid placing it on the edge of the listening sofa. Also, move the subwoofer to a different location or isolate it from the vibrations by using a riser.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:57 AM   #18

Jul 2011

Hello. Need sugestions to make optimal configuration for my channels.

Reciever is Denon(don't remember the model). It can do separate channel crossovers, but I'm not sure how it works.

My audio is all Yamaha:

Front NS-777
Center NS-444
surround NS-333

Don't have sub yet. So need to do something with large/small decisions, and crossover function. Any help with that?

And I plan on getting sub in the future(like 2-3 month), so what do I need to change after that? And any tips on SW mode, there is LFE or LFE+main, which is better for movies/games?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #19

Feb 2011
Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metroid_Primer View Post
Hello. Need sugestions to make optimal configuration for my channels.

Reciever is Denon(don't remember the model). It can do separate channel crossovers, but I'm not sure how it works.

My audio is all Yamaha:

Front NS-777
Center NS-444
surround NS-333

Don't have sub yet. So need to do something with large/small decisions, and crossover function. Any help with that?

And I plan on getting sub in the future(like 2-3 month), so what do I need to change after that? And any tips on SW mode, there is LFE or LFE+main, which is better for movies/games?
If you dont have a sub put speakers on Large. When you do get a sub go just LFE and change speakers to small and crossover to 80.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:17 PM   #20
Special Member

Aug 2012
charleston sc

I no this thread is pretty old but I just want to confirm I have a Polk cs2 center it pretty big should I still set it to small
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.3 KB, 15 views)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers