Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Star Trek: The Next Generation… $24.49 (54 mins left)

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$33.02

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

The Good Dinosaur 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.04

The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.12

The Three Stooges in 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.02

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology

Old 07-29-2015, 12:23 PM   #21
Expert Member

Dec 2013
Canada

I hope 3D-BD releases doesn't become an afterthought in the future UHD world. I don't care about seeing 3D in UHD, but I do care about it staying relevant in both the theatrical and home-viewing environment.

I love 3D, and would happily upgrade to a 4k TV even if the only benefit was full resolution passive 3D
Thanks given by:
infiniteCR (07-29-2015), Paul H (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 02:47 PM   #22
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezster View Post
I love 3D, and would happily upgrade to a 4k TV even if the only benefit was full resolution passive 3D
I snagged a Sony 55-inch set during the Black Friday sales. I paid less for it than for both my coffin-sized Mitsubishi 55-inch in 2002 that only has 1080i and for my Panasonic Viera plasma in 2010. (I wanted the 65, but it was $1,000 more and I couldn't justify it. Above 65, though, Sony's sets are active, not passive.)

The 3D on it is phenomenal, to me. (I don't have an active set to compare it to.) Once I found the right distance, I have experienced no cross-talk, and even Immortals, a notoriously dark 3D movie, was plainly visible in 3D. EDIT: Cross-talk may be the wrong word. What I've seen is more of double image, or ghosting, I guess?

If you're into 3D and are wanting to upgrade, I say go for it when there's a sale.

And bringing home the Real D glasses from the theater is kind of a nice bonus, too ...

Last edited by bud_brigman; 07-30-2015 at 06:56 PM. Reason: As per usual, I may not know what the hell I'm talking about.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:32 PM   #23

Apr 2013

Hi Bud...

Can you elaborate on how finding the right distance affects crosstalk for you?

Thanks
Old 07-30-2015, 06:03 PM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active3D View Post
Hi Bud...

Can you elaborate on how finding the right distance affects crosstalk for you?

Thanks
Dunno about how I can elaborate on it, but (and maybe I'm choosing the wrong word) when I was watching Desolation of Smaug, I was sitting fairly close to the TV -- about as close as when I would watch a 2D film. I seemed to be getting a lot of double images. I moved a bit further back, and the "double vision" ceased. EDIT: Same thing with "How to Train Your Dragon." When I moved a bit back, there was little to no ghosting or double images.

Sitting at that distance now, I haven't experienced any double vision, that I remember (I'm sure there has been, because of encoding issues).

Maybe it's something wrong on my end, or maybe my TV is borked. I don't know -- I do know from the distance I sit now (maybe 10 feet?) things are fairly clear.

Again, I'm relatively new to the 3D thing -- this is my first 3D TV. I'm sure many people on this forum have much better insight and experience than I.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:57 PM   #25

Aug 2012
In the woods!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active3D View Post
I own a Samsung js8500 and the 3d from a standard bluray looks even better on this set when compared to my Panasonic plasma, which I though was top notch. The brightness the Samsung provides helps me see detail that was never noticed when playing my plasma. The added detail gives an impression of greater depth, you feel as if you are drawn further into the picture.

How does the crosstalk compare between your two TVs?
Have only watched 3 movies from 8 feet away and haven't noticed any crosstalk. Will update in the future.
Thanks given by:
Active3D (07-31-2015), Paul H (07-30-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 06:27 AM   #26

Apr 2013

I do know from the distance I sit now (maybe 10 feet?) things are fairly clear.

Sounds like you've found your sweet spot at 10 feet. Thanks for the response.
Thanks given by:
Bluray3d4life (07-31-2015), bud_brigman (07-31-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 02:52 PM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

After readying Bluray3d4life's post, I started sitting at some different distances from the TV with Journey to the Center of the Earth playing (it has very strong 3D).

I found it quite good about 8 feet away, like he (or she?) did. What I did discover is that the more you sit above or below than the TV's "equator" -- or, the line bisecting the top and the bottom, I guess -- double images or ghosting increased.

So, the distance is one thing, but it seems the height of the chair/couch is another. At least for me.

My setup is a Sony XBR55, I think. I bought it last year, so it has probably been replaced with the newest model.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology