Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
17 hrs ago
Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73
40 min ago
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
$8.00
17 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 10-02-2008, 05:38 PM   #1

Oct 2007
Default Blu-ray scratches on label side

I have twin infants that have on a few occasions got a hold of PS3 games. They have teeth now, and I have a few discs with small scratches.

The scratch protection on the bottom side of the disc is awesome. Once I clean the drool and fingerprints off the disc, the bottom looks perfect, no damage at all. I'm cleaning with water and paper towel.

But on the label side, they have actually put a small hole in the label/foil. You can actually see light come right through the label.

AFAIK, scratching the label on a CD will make it unplayable since it needs the reflection of the foil. I figure there must be a difference in how BD and DVD works though since they have multiple layers. Do label scratches effect BD or DVD mediums?
Old 10-02-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

No..you should be alright.

I know what you are going thru I have twins also ...boys 7 years old.
Old 10-04-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

the issue with CDs is not that the label is reflective, but the actual data is just above it, with BD the data layers are at the opposite side, which is also why they felt it needed more protection and has the HC
Old 07-02-2011, 07:31 AM   #4

Apr 2011
mexico
Default Please help!! scratch on label side of blu ray

Hi dear posters from blu-ray.com forum!

First of all I want to say, that this is my first post in this forum, I've been visiting the site for quite a while and I find it to be a very valuable resource of information for blu ray movies and related technology.

I couldn't find a way to start a new thread, but using the search tool, I thought this could by just the place to write something, as it is actually related to the topic on this post, please correct me if this not the right place.

The second reason of this post, Is that I have a problem with a blu ray disc I would like to ask you,

The thing is, today I was playing a blu ray disc, it ran normally during the entire playback, at the time I finished watching the movie, removed the disc from my player and stored it into its case, but I accidentaly drop the case to the floor.

I decided to check if everything was fine, however when i checked my movie disc i noticed a pair of minor scratches on the label side with slight parts of missing paint, in such fashion that if I hold the disc against some bright light I can notice some light beams coming through the scratch.

I immediately played the disc again, but didnt notice any problems so far with it, though, I didn't watch the entire movie just as to be entirely sure,

but to make it to the point:

Are these small scratches in the label side going to affect my disc in any way?

Im aware that blu ray disc has a hard coat to protect the layers with information

but Im not sure how protected is the label side

could these small scratches cause issues when the laser reads that area of the disc and notice that some paint from the label is missing?

do blu ray players need to reflect their laser beam to the "mirror-like side" beneath the label to ensure proper playback? (like regular cd's, dvd's)

I know these are some questions that could appear silly,

but I will aprecciate any input!

My Best regards to you all!

LENER27
Old 07-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #5

Apr 2011
mexico

please, someone who knows if there could be playback issues with a blu ray disc with some small scratches by the label side? (please look at previous post on this thread)
Old 07-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by LENER27 View Post
please, someone who knows if there could be playback issues with a blu ray disc with some small scratches by the label side? (please look at previous post on this thread)
I do not think the label side is read at all. I know that's the case for CD and DVD. Two-sided DVD discs have no label because you can't have a label on the side that needs to be read. I believe it's the same for BD. So there should be no problem.

And even if there was a potential problem, if you play the disc and it works, relax. There's error correction codes (via check sums) built in to all these technologies, so that small read errors don't impact play.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2008
North Carolina

If ther are minor scratches on the label side it will not effect play.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Bay Area, USA

Scratches on label side should not affected playing the disc at all imo
Old 07-05-2011, 02:31 AM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007

Scratches on the label side won't affect playback. In fact you could remove the whole label and it still won't affect playback.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

all disks (cd, dvd, bd) work the same way, the laser goes through the plastic and hits the data layer and gets reflected back, and how it is reflected gives the info to the player
i.e. as a simple example

\/ /---------imagine \ is the laser if there is no pit it hits it and comes back at the first/
.\/ --------- but if it is in the pit it goes a bit deeper and like the second / on line 1 goes a bit farther

now with CD the data was at 1.2mm and so if the label was scratched chances where that the data layer just above it was as well. DVD is at .6mm half way through the disk so it would be hard to damage the data layer from the label side, on BD the data layer is at .1mm so you can have a major scratch that almost goes through the disk before a scratch on the layer side will affect the data layer or interfere with play back in any way.

now with CD the data was at 1.2mm and so if the label was scratched chances where that the data layare just above it was as well. DVD is at .6mm half way through the disk so it would be hard to damage the data layer from the label side, on BD the data layer is at .1mm soyou can have a major scratch that almost goes through the disk before a scratch on the layer side will affect the data layer or interfere with play back in any way.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #11

Jun 2011
Bangkok, Thailand

I just had termites eat the packaging of several of my blu-ray titles that had cardboard covers. This also left a lot of gunk on the discs. I was successful in cleaning a dozen of them with soapy water. But one of them "Arletty" is now missing the label printed on the disc. It softened and floated off. Now surprisingly the disc will not play. Do I need to place a label on it to rectify this?
Old 01-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #12
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geode View Post
I just had termites eat the packaging of several of my blu-ray titles that had cardboard covers. This also left a lot of gunk on the discs. I was successful in cleaning a dozen of them with soapy water. But one of them "Arletty" is now missing the label printed on the disc. It softened and floated off. Now surprisingly the disc will not play. Do I need to place a label on it to rectify this?
I highly doubt that the lack of a label is the issue. The label, itself, has no impact at all on the disc's ability to be used.

My guess is that the disc itself is damaged to some extent that has effected the data.

Given that this particular disc was apparently by far the worst one impacted by this than the rest, in addition to the label being gone, further damage likely occurred as well.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology