Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72
12 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86
2 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Evil Dead (Blu-ray)
$14.56
12 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99
8 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$71.69
13 hrs ago
The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$36.68
9 hrs ago
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 02-23-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
Expert Member

Jun 2014
Default What is the best picture preference to watch blu rays on a 4k tv?

I recently bought an lg 4k uhd tv with hdr. I have noticed that whnn I play my blu ray movies with my 4k tv, the action looks a bit sped up. I have heard that this depends on the tv settings and picture preference. Can someone tell me what is the best picture preference and settings to watch standard blu rays on a 4k tv? I use a standard blu ray, not a 4k blu ray, and I usually play classic movies from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I will be grateful for your advice.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:08 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Younger_Gang View Post
I recently bought an lg 4k uhd tv with hdr. I have noticed that whnn I play my blu ray movies with my 4k tv, the action looks a bit sped up. I have heard that this depends on the tv settings and picture preference. Can someone tell me what is the best picture preference and settings to watch standard blu rays on a 4k tv? I use a standard blu ray, not a 4k blu ray, and I usually play classic movies from the 60s, 70s and 80s. I will be grateful for your advice.
The action is not sped up, but I suspect you're seeing jittery action. Turn off all the motion controls when watching Blu-rays. Actually, you should probably shut them off when watching regular TV as well. If you keep the motion controls turned on, you're probably also seeing what's called the "soap opera effect" where movies look like videotape.

You might also want to buy a calibration disc, like the Disney WOW! disc or the Spears and Munsil to adjust black levels, color, etc. (unless you want to have your TV professionally calibrated).
Old 03-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2007
Singapore
-
-

I think LG calls it TruMotion, where it artificially creates frames to convert 24fps to 60fps.

Turn this off at all times.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:04 PM   #4
Expert Member

Jun 2014

I tried what you said, snd it worked. Also, what is the best picture mode to watch regular blu rays? The selection includes: vivid, sports, cinema, dark room, bright room, aps, hdr strong, medium or light, and standard mode.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:04 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Younger_Gang View Post
I tried what you said, snd it worked. Also, what is the best picture mode to watch regular blu rays? The selection includes: vivid, sports, cinema, dark room, bright room, aps, hdr strong, medium or light, and standard mode.
I'm guessing most of those modes are pre-sets, use the mode you can customize yourself for calibration.
Old 03-04-2018, 06:35 PM   #6

Apr 2011
Michigan

You could try googling the exact model number of your set to see if there are any calibration numbers posted online. Cnet often does in-depth calibration settings for different sets.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology