Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ultra Q: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04
11 hrs ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
7 hrs ago
Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Who Saw Her Die? (Blu-ray)
$26.42
15 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 07-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #1
Banned

Feb 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Question What is people's problems/beef with BD-Rs?

I can understand the prices for BD-Rs being the problem, because over $20 for a single BD-R disc does seem a little bit greedy for consumers. But with that being said, what are the literal problems to a BD-Rs, besides the prices?
Old 07-02-2018, 11:37 PM   #2
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warnerbros2001 View Post
I can understand the prices for BD-Rs being the problem, because over $20 for a single BD-R disc does seem a little bit greedy for consumers. But with that being said, what are the literal problems to a BD-Rs, besides the prices?
Well the Discs to buy now are 4K UHD, and they usually come with a BD too. Disc prices are not coming down, so if you want Disc you'll have to pay. You'll get better prices with Digital!
Old 07-04-2018, 03:26 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2009
Central Florida

I've got CD-R's going back to when the first CD burners were made available. Recently copied the data from quite a number of them to a hard drive. No issues reading the data off of any of them. I also have quite a few DVD+R's. Mostly flipper discs where I ripped Side B to DVD+R for use in my Sony DVD changers. Those all play as well. Tested the majority of them recently when I was reorganizing my collection per the cataloging software I use. I have a number of BD-R's as well, retail releases, re-authors of retail releases to workaround known playback issues, HDTV broadcasts I captured over firewire years ago re-authored to DVD and now Blu-ray. No playback issues to speak of to date. I can't say the same for my pressed discs. I have a number of pressed DVD's and Blu-ray's that have inexplicably gone bad on me, all of which still looked pristine. No signs of disc rot for example. In any event, we'll see how it goes. I'll chime back in 20 years from now. Until then I'll continue to enjoy my burned discs just as I have since burning discs became a thing.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:35 AM   #4

Jun 2018

Does the OP work for Warner Bros.?
Old 07-05-2018, 03:43 AM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

I've had a large number of CD-R's fail, even though they were made on a pro CD-R deck (Alessis Masterlink). I find that some will still playback if I play them on an old cheap Sony BD player and if I take the analog output, I can re-create them. But if I take the digital output, the same errors get replicated. I also find that many CD-R's if I record a full 80 minutes (or close) won't fully play on the CD player in my car.

So while I originally loved the idea of CD-R's, IMO, they're definitely not an archival medium. I suppose eventually I'll have to copy them all off to a hard disk, but that's going to be extremely time consuming.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:07 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Well the Discs to buy now are 4K UHD, and they usually come with a BD too. Disc prices are not coming down, so if you want Disc you'll have to pay. You'll get better prices with Digital!
Discs go on sale every single day, many are under $10. I have even bought the occasional 4K disc for $10. This website alone has a deals section link near the top of its homepage. It is even in red letters. Unable to find it? Here it is for you:

https://www.blu-ray.com/deals/#1

There are pages and pages of discs at sale prices. And those are just what Amazon is offering.

New release disc prices have actually been very stable. Anyone who actually buys them knows this already.

And you replied to a comment discussing made-on-demand burned blu-ray discs, BD-R discs to be exact. Reading comprehension is just not your forte, is it?

Last edited by Vilya; 07-08-2018 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:11 AM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2012
Bakersfield, CA

OP is referring to the Sony Choice Collection with a SRP of $26. Discs are MOD BD-R’s.
There are other Labels with similar practices. The Sony MOD movies rarely drop in price.

A. The price point is a no go from me for the titles being offered.
B. I won’t buy retail BD-R releases when other studios can still afford to sell pressed discs for their lower volume releases. E.G. Warner Archive, and Universal MOD program (Uni has not given a formal name to their program).
Old 07-14-2018, 05:06 AM   #8
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinInfinity View Post
Do you even know what a BD-R is? You obviously ignored the "-R" part of the question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
Discs go on sale every single day, many are under $10. I have even bought the occasional 4K disc for $10. This website alone has a deals section link near the top of its homepage.

There are pages and pages of discs at sale prices. And those are just what Amazon is offering.

New release disc prices have actually been very stable. Anyone who actually buys them knows this already.

And you replied to a comment discussing made-on-demand burned blu-ray discs, BD-R discs to be exact. Reading comprehension is just not your forte, is it?
You guys are quick to jump on somebody, I guess I didn't realize people still want to Burn BD. I quit doing that years ago, and I use to use Verbatim but I paid way less than $20 a Disc. I have hundreds of BD-R Back-ups, now I just prefer Digital HD. As for $10 4K Discs, there are very few of those and no Recent Releases.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:13 AM   #9
Special Member

Apr 2017
England, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmishParadise View Post
I've got CD-R's going back to when the first CD burners were made available. Recently copied the data from quite a number of them to a hard drive. No issues reading the data off of any of them. I also have quite a few DVD+R's. Mostly flipper discs where I ripped Side B to DVD+R for use in my Sony DVD changers. Those all play as well. Tested the majority of them recently when I was reorganizing my collection per the cataloging software I use. I have a number of BD-R's as well, retail releases, re-authors of retail releases to workaround known playback issues, HDTV broadcasts I captured over firewire years ago re-authored to DVD and now Blu-ray. No playback issues to speak of to date. I can't say the same for my pressed discs. I have a number of pressed DVD's and Blu-ray's that have inexplicably gone bad on me, all of which still looked pristine. No signs of disc rot for example. In any event, we'll see how it goes. I'll chime back in 20 years from now. Until then I'll continue to enjoy my burned discs just as I have since burning discs became a thing.
I also have a huge number of DVD-R and +R discs which I've been burning since around 2004 when I bought my first DVD recorder, and they are all still fine. I transferred lots of things onto disc which I originally had recorded on VHS as well.

I have only lost a small handful of pressed DVD's, and a couple of those were MGM releases going back to the very early days of DVD's. To be fair, MGM replaced all those that were affected once they were aware of the problem.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
Illinois

Quote:
You guys are quick to jump on somebody, I guess I didn't realize people still want to Burn BD. I quit doing that years ago, and I use to use Verbatim but I paid way less than $20 a Disc. I have hundreds of BD-R Back-ups, now I just prefer Digital HD. As for $10 4K Discs, there are very few of those and no Recent Releases.
If being corrected is being jumped on, consider yourself a trampoline.

You still do not comprehend what is being discussed here. It is not so much about people using BD-R media to burn discs themselves. The topic being discussed is about studios releasing catalog titles, made on demand, using BD-R media while also charging high prices for the same; prices that approach that of a pressed disc Criterion release.

People are discussing the long term reliability of BD-R media and the prices being charged for studio offerings using such media.

I did not say $10 was a common sale price for 4K discs; I said occasional. On the 4K deals page on this website right now there are 30 titles for $15 or less. And there is one for just $10.

Last edited by Vilya; 07-15-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:38 AM   #11

Jun 2016
Wisconsin

I only buy Verbatim BD-R (either the 25GB or 50GB that comes in the 100pk). I have never had an issue with any of them scratching or becoming defective. In fact, I have had more issues with commercial discs than with my Verbatim blanks. As for DVD-R and DVD+R, the Verbatim ones in my experience are not very good. For these I have stuck to Sony or Memorex and they have lasted. DVD blanks seem much easier to scratch/damage than BD blanks.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #12
Special Member

Apr 2017
England, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonesfan129 View Post
I only buy Verbatim BD-R (either the 25GB or 50GB that comes in the 100pk). I have never had an issue with any of them scratching or becoming defective. In fact, I have had more issues with commercial discs than with my Verbatim blanks. As for DVD-R and DVD+R, the Verbatim ones in my experience are not very good. For these I have stuck to Sony or Memorex and they have lasted. DVD blanks seem much easier to scratch/damage than BD blanks.
I haven't yet used any BD-R's personally, but I have plenty of DVD-R discs. The majority of my discs are Taiyo Yuden which were manufactured in Japan and haven't had any issues whatsoever. They were really top discs, but I don't think they manufacture them any longer. I have many Verbatim's as well, and haven't had any problems with these either to be honest.

I think I've already mentioned this on another thread, but years ago I used to be on an AV forum where they talked about Verbatim. It was mentioned that so long as they were manufactured in Japan or Taiwan, you were OK with these. If however they were made in India or China, then they were to be avoided, so clearly Verbatim had manufacturing plants in a number of countries.

Sony's have been OK for me too.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #13
Special Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warnerbros2001 View Post
I have two BD-Rs in my collection as that was the only way to get the best transfer of those films.

One of which stopped playing about 30 minutes in (on 7 different players).

:endthread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology