Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ultra Q: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$27.04

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Hell Comes to Frogtown (Blu-ray)
$21.99
11 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
23 hrs ago
Zombieland 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.49
8 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Don't Look Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$57.73

Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$65.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 05-31-2017, 04:37 PM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalashaska View Post
Unless ultra-thin wallpaper TVs become popular/affordable, 1080p is likely all the pixels most people will ever need once you take screen size and seating distance into account.

That's not all there is to PQ though. The real benefit to UHD is high dynamic range, wide colour gamut and improved colour depth.

I've heard some say HDR on a good HDR display is much more impressive than the jump from 1080p to 4K, or even DVD to Blu-ray.

I have yet to see it in action myself, but I'm excited.
HDR can be amazing if done right. My favorite UHD so far PQ wise is The Shallows. Even though it only has a 2K master it looks gorgeous and better that movies do at my theater (have a crappy local one so maybe not saying much lol)
Old 06-01-2017, 03:32 AM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2008
Helm's Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalashaska View Post
Unless ultra-thin wallpaper TVs become popular/affordable, 1080p is likely all the pixels most people will ever need once you take screen size and seating distance into account.

That's not all there is to PQ though. The real benefit to UHD is high dynamic range, wide colour gamut and improved colour depth.
This remains the key thing for me. With my 65" JS8500, the optimal viewing distance for 1080p material is 9 ft (which delivers stunning imagery, I have to say), and I can't fathom wanting to sit any closer than that (and I don't even typically sit at that distance, as my couch is more like 12-13 ft away).

Based on what I've read, the optimal viewing distance for 4K material on my set would be something like 5-6 feet away. That truly just doesn't appeal to me.

As for HDR, I know many are blown away by it - but I just don't get it. I've seen it for myself, so I know what people are talking about with regard to it. But it just doesn't seem like the second coming to me, as it does with other people.
Thanks given by:
BluVinyl (08-09-2017), Darcy1 (06-02-2017), nikon76 (08-21-2017)
Old 07-17-2018, 06:21 AM   #43
Banned

Mar 2018

Of course 4K won't be the last resolution for TV.

Look at all the manufactures who make TV's (Samsung, Sony, LG, etc), they are going to be pushing for new features, higher resolutions, etc, to keep the customers buying their TV's.

If only one company made TV's... people would be forced to buy their TV. The company would have no reason to improve the TV, since that company is the only way to buy a TV and purchases are guaranteed. But with many different companies competing for the customers money, this forces improvements that attracts the customers.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

There is 8K sets being shown right now but what size will they need to be for you to see that sort of resolution. I heard a video expert (Joe Kane) say you need a 100' screen at about 7 feet back to fully see what is in a 1920x1080 picture.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:56 AM   #45
Power Member

Jul 2009
Canada

OMG!!! It’s not just about resolution!!! Full BT2020 colour space, better compression, 12-bit colour will be part of 8K specs. And let’s not forget better motion resolution. (4K only has 2k motion resolution)
Old 07-22-2018, 05:00 PM   #46

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-

Wow! Opinions are like a$$holes, everybody has one.....and I mean that in a GOOD way!

The beauty of technology, is it always progresses. We've seen in the PC world updates go from 2 years to one year, now its about every six months. Buy a new PC in Jan. unless its the top-of-the-line, by December its nearly obsolete. You can always tel, when chip prices rise, new tech is coming. When it drops, that's the time to upgrade.

Really, its all about personal preference. 4K is sorta stagnant because cable/satellite technology hasn't advanced to the point where enough content is available. Very few streaming services offer 4K content even part-time. Only a few channels i know of have it full-time. So until it hits the masses, its basically has little room to grow. The only people who can take advantage of it now are those with UHD players and those who stream 4K apps (via 4K TV, Roku, ATV).

There will come a time when 4K will become the "standard". All TV's, programs, will at least be 4K compat. 8k will take a tad longer. of course, it could have a "spurt' much like 4K did, and then level off. How much will the new HDMI 2.1 standard make a difference in people's choices? remains to be seen. But consider as 8K devices are introduced, and begin selling.....the prices of 4K equipment will decrease. 1080HD will no longer be a TV option, however they will continue to support that as far as content. Many 4K TV's today are able to upconvert a 1080 signal to 2160 and make it look gorgeous.
However, don't get too worried. maybe this takes a while but when 8K sets come out.....the 1080 signal is going to look crappy! Much like if you look at a SD program on DirecTV with a 4K TV, see how pixelaitted (sp) that is? Blurry & blocky! Well, from demos I've seen, a 1080 picture looks just as ferocious on a new 8K TV. So if 8K eventually catches on is a ? mark. It may be a niche market for a while.
At least until these programmers (cable & sat) decide to invest a huge sum(s) of money and improve their infrastructure (which is why everybody is buying everybody again). Because its expensive and pricey in a declining market. Like survival of the fittest and the food chain, the weakest have to go.
Now I was told a while back that cable capacity for MANY systems (COMCAST is the example I'll use here) their capacity/bandwidth is nearly at it's maximum. The rule of thumb was for every HD channel they added, they had to use 2 standard channel spaces. To go 4K, that ratio goes from 4:1. Now to please EVERYBODY, they expanded enough space to scrap infomercial channels so they could keep the SD channel on a regular band, and the HD equivalent on a higher band. By 2020, they are going to start eliminating these SD channels, which means everyone will have to get the cable box with the HDMI ports.
Now, following the SAME procedure as when HD came into play, these "higher channels" could then be converted to 4K channels...keep in mind that you'll only get 1 4K channel for every 2 HD scrapped on that higher bandwidth.....unless they go for further compression, which means everybody will need NEW cable boxes anyway.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:11 PM   #47
Blu-ray Baron

Feb 2016
Miami, Fl

What will 8K look like on a 55" TV?
Old 07-23-2018, 04:44 PM   #48
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
Well the "Experts" say to fully take advantage of the Resolution you need at least a 70" TV. When I bought my 65" UHD Sony I wanted a 75", but my CFO shot that idea down. I think the Standard is 55" or 65", when the 8K TV's come out to the Consumers they will be 70+." Maybe by then I'll get my 75" UHD TV......I alway say, Bigger is Better!
Old 07-24-2018, 09:15 PM   #49

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
Well the "Experts" say to fully take advantage of the Resolution you need at least a 70" TV. When I bought my 65" UHD Sony I wanted a 75", but my CFO shot that idea down. I think the Standard is 55" or 65", when the 8K TV's come out to the Consumers they will be 70+." Maybe by then I'll get my 75" UHD TV......I alway say, Bigger is Better!
Well, Dell has a 32" 8K monitor out now...If you're willing to part with $4K
https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...04501911493106

TV sets will be out in the fall, as soon as the new HDMI standard is implemented. These start at 65". Prices are at $9-$8K. New technology is always the most expensive, plus with bigger screens and better resolution, the production of these sets are going to be very high priced. Just like the 4K ones were when they first came out.

The GOOD news for anyone who's been hesitating to "go full 4K" is the prices of 4K equipment will start to see another drop, as more 4K options hit the mainstream, these will be less-expensive, higher quality TV's then the bulk of the market today. Other than Walmart, I don't see anyone selling "720" anymore, and even at the Big "W", the regular HD sets are closer than ever to the prices of entry-level 4K sets. It wouldn't surprise me to see these eliminated if and when cable catches up to 4K.
Old 07-24-2018, 09:25 PM   #50

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyIII View Post
Not only that.....what 8K SOURCES are or will be available initially?
Old 07-24-2018, 10:54 PM   #51
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjritter79 View Post
Well, Dell has a 32" 8K monitor out now...If you're willing to part with $4K
I love Dell Products, I have a Dell 2707WFP, and the Resolution is 1920X1200. Had is for over 5 years, and it's great!
Old 07-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #52
Special Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchav21 View Post
.....I alway say, Bigger is Better!
There are many other consideration than just the physical size.

75 inch LEDs look terrible compared to 65 inch OLEDs.

Big is good if the quality is there and you are sitting at the proper viewing distance.

77 inch OLEDs are the best thing out there, but they cost more than most people have a budget for. I wouldn't buy a current 75 LED, I value quality of image too much.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:13 AM   #53
Banned

May 2017
ireland

This is very disheartening to read considering I spent an arm and a leg to upgrade to 4K and all the 4K blu rays I’ve purchased
Old 07-25-2018, 12:51 PM   #54

Nov 2012
Reading, Pa.
-
-
-
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephengizmo View Post
This is very disheartening to read considering I spent an arm and a leg to upgrade to 4K and all the 4K blu rays I’ve purchased
I wouldn't be too disappointed. The 8K's will be mega-expensive until more sales lead to increased production, maybe 2 yrs, maybe longer. But 4K will be the "standard" much like today HD 1080 is pretty much the standard.

So your 4K "stuff" will be relevant for a long time yet.

Last edited by tjritter79; 07-25-2018 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #55
Power Member

Apr 2009
ST George, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephengizmo View Post
This is very disheartening to read considering I spent an arm and a leg to upgrade to 4K and all the 4K blu rays Iíve purchased
Yea, Technology waits for no one, my last TV was a Mitsubishi 62" 1080i. A few months after I bought it, I was kicking my self on why I didn't buy a 1080P. I kept that TV for over 10 years, and 5 DLP Lamps. Now I love my Sony UHD TV, it has a Great Picture!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology