Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72
12 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86
2 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Evil Dead (Blu-ray)
$14.56
12 hrs ago
Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99
8 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$71.69
13 hrs ago
The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$36.68
9 hrs ago
Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 11-18-2018, 09:43 AM   #1

Feb 2011
Default 5.1 surround setup with wireless rears?

Looking for fairly low budget system ($400) which has wireless rears speakers.

Really donít want to run cables across the room. Anything decent exist in this price range?
Old 11-18-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Not at that price, no.

I think given the tight budget you might be better off looking at building in stages using some of the soundbar + optional wireless rear setups.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:32 AM   #3

Dec 2011
LOS ANGELES, CA.

see as i spent most of this year watching 4k tv prices and looking into dolby atmos soundbars. I pulled the trigger on Sony 900f 55' at 1079 price. Looking at sound bars all year for the 1st time ive found anything with Dolby Atmos and or DTSX from sony, Samsung all cost at least $800 and higher end of $1500 and all seem to ccharge extra for wireless rears as extras on the high end?! But I did find an buy Vizio 36in sound bar 5.1.2 with 2 firing ups on the soundbar , 2 wireless rears and sub for $500, which is the lowest ive seen anywhere on a dolby atmos 5.1.2 soundbar with wireless rears, and to top it off this week specials at Costco knows $150 off their $459 price so i got it for $300, its a no brainer without breaking the bank.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (12-20-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 08:42 AM   #4

Nov 2017
Nott'm, UK

I can't believe manufactures are yet to produce 'spatial' audio systems with multiple wireless speakers...
Old 11-21-2018, 11:00 PM   #5

Feb 2011

Ok thanks. I really thought in this day and age these systems would be a lot more common at affordable prices!

I already have a soundbar which does its job well, but would like to have a more immersive experience. Never had a surround setup before
Old 11-22-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
Special Member

Sep 2011
London, Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88mph View Post
Ok thanks. I really thought in this day and age these systems would be a lot more common at affordable prices!

I already have a soundbar which does its job well, but would like to have a more immersive experience. Never had a surround setup before
There's lots of ways to hide speaker wire. They even have speaker wire that's flat so you can paint over it and it pretty much disappears. Check out some of the options available. You may find something you like.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
UK

Trunking and cables ties are good those those of us who aren't great at DIY or don't want to be lifting flooring and cutting holes in walls.

I feed my rears from one bunch of cables going down a single side of the room where the furniture hides most of it. If you think in terms of keeping all the cables in a single bunch until they need to break off to feed the speakers and it really cuts down on cable mess. Just remember to label them before you start unless you won't know which is which!
Old 12-17-2018, 04:41 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
Ol' Harlem, Not New Harlem

I've been eyeing these but the size of that sub-woofer is killing me. My sub-woofer is currently under my couch (I have risers as my couch was originally very low to the floor. Ain't no way Polk's is fitting.

I've had these for about a 3 weeks & this is my first sound system of any type & I really like them, but they aren't truly wireless as the satellite speakers are powered by the sub-woofer, I think the wires can pretty much be hidden if you purchase speaker stands instead of mounting them.

Also, bookshelf speakers & Chromecast audio my do the trick, I'm not sure how though, but this was something I was looking into since the audio pucks were $15.

Last edited by jd_from_da_80s; 12-17-2018 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010
Los Angeles, CA

You might want to think about this option:

I didn't go the soundbar route as I have a full 7.2 system (that includes two Atmos speakers), powered by a Denon receiver that is driving Polk speakers situated all around the room (including 2 sub-woofers sitting in each corner in the front of the room). Still, this option might work with what you have to get you to wireless rear speakers. Whether this will work with your soundbar, I am not sure. However, if you are looking to build a more immersive system, and want to go with separate speakers and a receiver, this is an inexpensive option and it will work with any receiver and speaker set up.

All of my speakers are hard wired directly to the Denon except for the rears as I didn't want to run cables along the sides to the back of the room. It's a large room. I went to Best Buy and found the Rocketfish wireless rear speaker kit (RF-WRSK18). The kit consists of two units, one a wireless sender and the other a wireless receiver. Both of these units are small and very unobtrusive. The sender connects to the rear speaker leads on the Denon and sits near the Denon facing towards the back of the room. The receiver sits in the back facing towards the front of the room and is connected to the right and left rear speakers. You will have to run cables from the sender to the two rear speakers but that is a short run depending upon where you place the speakers in relation to the receiving unit. It allows you to avoid the long speaker wire runs from your main receiver to the back of the room. You will also need to provide both Rocketfish units with access to AC power to drive them. The Rocketfish kit costs $100 and it works like a charm. I have had it for well over a year and have not had any issues whatsoever.

Last edited by dommie; 12-17-2018 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #10

Dec 2013
Pittsburgh

You can get the Vizio SB3651 5.1 Soundbar + Subwoofer with two rear speakers for $250. Wires run from the subwoofer to the two rears, but you keep the subwoofer in the back of the room (next to or behind your couch if you wish) so you don't have wires running from the back of the room to the front.

If you're looking for something with some real "oomph" try the Vizio 5.1.2 SB36512 Atmos soundbar + subwoofer + rear speakers. It's got the same set-up as the above, but offers Atmos sound (two speakers in the soundbar point upwards to "bounce" sound off your ceiling, allowing the "effect" of Atmos without all the drilling/installation of putting in a ceiling speaker). I have one and it works great in smaller rooms with lower ceilings (my room is about 20 x 10 with a 7' ceiling). You can get one of these for under $400. (I paid $350 for mine.) There's also a premium version that has "upward" speakers in the rear speakers as well - but those run around $700 and not worth the extra $$, IMHO.

Also, NO receiver is needed with either of the above - which is a nice bonus. You just run the HDMI out into the HDMI ARC of your HDTV.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers